Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Neak #2644735 07/11/12 10:21 AM
M
M
Agree, Neak. There is a huge difference between someone who is trying and someone who is not. It's not difficult to tell the difference.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

NeverGuessed #2644736 07/11/12 10:21 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
BS to effect change in a WS's lifestyle.

Horrors! You're right! My choice of word was imprecise! You should be PROUD of that discovery!

The word "effect" should have been "incent" or "guide".

Plan A and Plan B are NOTHING if not tactics to incent the WS to effect the change in their own behavior.

No, that is not what Dr. Harley says Plan B is.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
MelodyLane #2644739 07/11/12 10:27 AM
N
N
The only reason I had trouble telling the difference at first, was because all I had seen to contrast with the abject cruelty of the A was the tepid, half-baked semi-efforts of a resentful WS.

Once AJ got serious, NOTHING would stop him from doing everything i asked for. Once I saw that difference, it all became crystal clear. I went from being a resented "probation officer" (his exact words), to a deeply cherished wife.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2644740 07/11/12 10:29 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Neak
The big problem with having consequences such as moving the WS out of the marital bedroom, is that it is a punishment rather than a natural consequence. You can't punish a wayward into becoming a whole new person who values fidelity and willingly embraces EP's.

There's another problem with the concept of punishment, as well.

Dr. Harley covers punishment in chapter 5 of Love Busters.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Neak #2644750 07/11/12 10:53 AM
N
N
Once AJ got serious, NOTHING would stop him from doing everything I asked for...I went from being a resented "probation officer", to a deeply cherished wife.

Neak, I think you are a great example for the concept I'm trying (evidently badly) to get across.

Now, what got AJ serious? I think what you said was that he failed at some minor EP issues. You chosen method of sanctioning him was to indicate your displeasure and decreasing patience with his performance. Would that be fair? Did it work? (Hah! We know the answer to that question. Congrats!)

You did NOT, I take it, jump to Plan B as AJ stumbled around orienting himself to his new reality, right? You moderated your reaction to the severity of his transgression, yes? What I am urging is that RH be applied a priori to any transgressions.

Markos, you said:

No, that (incenting the WS to effect the necessary changes) is not what Dr. Harley says Plan B is.

Well given that every plan must have a goal (or goals), I would say that the primary goal of Plan B is to present the non-conforming WS with a "scorched earth" view of what life is very likely to be between them if events take the likely course. The only option for WS would be to request through the IM what behaviors would have to be changed, and how, and demonstrate those changes. The alternative is that the WS might not be adequately dissuaded by the prospect to reform, and the marriage goes to dissolution. The secondary Plan B goal is to prevent additional damage to the BS, but Plan D immediately could do that.

If you believe that these are not the goals of Plan B, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

NeverGuessed #2644753 07/11/12 10:59 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
Markos, you said:

No, that (incenting the WS to effect the necessary changes) is not what Dr. Harley says Plan B is.

Well given that every plan must have a goal (or goals), I would say that the primary goal of Plan B is to present the non-conforming WS with a "scorched earth" view of what life is very likely to be between them if events take the likely course.

If you believe that these are not the goals of Plan B, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

What I would like is for you to learn what Dr. Harley says is the primary goal of Plan B, rather than turning other people's threads into a sounding board for your thoughts and my thoughts. We don't have to reinvent the wheel, here.

NeverGuessed #2644760 07/11/12 11:13 AM
N
N
I had everything lined up to go to Plan B a second time. I had the letter ready, and every bit of determination to make it succeed. The main reason I opted to hold off very temporarily on pulling the trigger was that he cried and begged for 4 hours solid, for me to give him one more chance to get it right, and had already started to take action to be accountable from the first moment he drove in the gate.

I gave him no encouragement whatsoever. Finally, with a face set like a stone, I agreed that I would not make him leave *quite* yet. But he had to show me, continuing immediately with his actions, that he was fully committed. And he did.

Whether I had to go through with implementing Plan B again or not is not the issue. The point is that I was ready, I was serious, and he knew it. By handing me the secret A-phone before he ever said a word, he showed me that he was beginning to be serious, too.

It's not that he was perfect after that. For example, he still feared the OW, and had the urge to appease her by not being willing that she should be fired from his company. (Fortunately, in a way, the company was already on the brink of disaster from his sloppy management in previous months, so there was no risk of any harassment charges sticking.) But upon being confronted about anything, AJ made an immediate effort to change. I never again had to even come close to Plan B, though I was always ready, just in case.

Because AJ realized at that point that I would have him leave and go dark on him in a heartbeat, he found the motivation within himself to become a changed individual. Most WS's that I've seen on here were not as responsive, and had to suffer a while before the motivation to avoid pain outgrew their motivation to cling to the remnants of the A.

Whether Plan B is actually implemented, or the WS escapes it by the skin of their teeth, the BS who is serious about ridding their lives of adultery has the best chance of having their WS join them in a true R.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
markos #2644762 07/11/12 11:18 AM
D
dec Offline
D
Originally Posted by markos
What I would like is for you to learn what Dr. Harley says is the primary goal of Plan B, rather than turning other people's threads into a sounding board for your thoughts and my thoughts. We don't have to reinvent the wheel, here.

If you are not in Congress, you should be, with that so succinctly politically polite response smile

H (me) = never wayward; age = 51; occup = attorney
W = never wayward; age = 49; occup = law office admin
Faith = Lutheran
S = age 20
S = age 19
D = age 17
Married 1990, first for both
Prior User Name "dec810" Marriage Builders 2001
"Evil will flourish, when good people do nothing"

Neak #2644764 07/11/12 11:22 AM
N
N
Now, what got AJ serious? I think what you said was that he failed at some minor EP issues. You chosen method of sanctioning him was to indicate your displeasure and decreasing patience with his performance.

He had failed at minor EP issues, yes. But then when my confrontations accomplished nothing except him feeling sorry for himself, it took less than two weeks before he was back in C with an A-phone to boot.

If I had been giving myself advice at that critical juncture, I would have told myself to go into Plan B as soon as it became obvious that he was whiny and resentful over what I had listed as the conditions for R. There was no need to let things go on long enough for C to resume, since he so clearly wasn't serious about R at that point.

A number of the good peeps here were already advising me to go into Plan B before I did, but at first I was so shell-shocked that even though my posts sounded normal, and like I was hearing them and responding to them, in reality I was incapable of coherent action.

Fortunately, I snapped out of my daze eventually, and donned the infamous Red Cape of Power. I've never been quite the same since.

The end result would have been the same, and I would have saved myself much needless grief and trauma, had I been willing to pull the plug when R had clearly stalled, rather than waiting around for the second time C resumed.

AJ got serious when I got serious.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
NeverGuessed #2644774 07/11/12 11:41 AM
F
F
I see a lot of speculation and unnecessary debate about the purpose and intent of very basic plans. I would ask that posters familiarize themselves with the concepts before posting to newcomers. This type of debate is unnecessary and confusing. Thank you for your cooperation.

Fireproof #2644985 07/11/12 07:21 PM
L
LisaL77 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the 'Be Still' link. I REALLY needed that today.

We were texting each other while I was hiding out in our old neighborhood. Forgot about the GPS app we downloaded on our phones and he found me.

I wanted him to leave, this was my secret calm spot.

He professed he made a mistake, the FB argument was stupid. I said I want a joint facebook, full disclosure w/o hesitation, all free time together as UA to facilitate attachment, no unfair judgements, selfish demands or angry outbursts for either of us (I'm at fault, too) and no swearing at me anymore. He agreed to follow the program. Said he's been a fool.

He reminded me that he is about 2 weeks behind me in this process, as I wanted to recover our M right from the start. Today was the first time he admitted his A was just like the book said, Fog, Fantasy, not real love.

I just got paid today. I will contact MB tomorrow from work. We both never slept last night so we are turning in early.

I don't mind other topics/conversations on my thread. It's like a dinner party and I'm the host. There are several conversations going on at once and I think it's nice.

Indie girl, I can't kick him out. He has custody of his daughter and it is more reasonable that I leave. Don't worry, if the time comes I will turn on my heel and go. I am VERY GOOD about not looking back after I make a solid decision. I am resolute, if nothing else.

BW Me, 42
WH Him, 45
Affair began in 10/11
Married 10 years
Together 12 years
1 step-daughter, age 16
D-day 6/1/12: WH had affair w/ woman who sings in a blues band/he plays blues guitar
7/2/12 he broke promise of NC with OW & moved out
7/3/12 he expressed desire to recover
7/16/12 Things really smoothed out
LisaL77 #2644988 07/11/12 07:34 PM
I
I
Originally Posted by LisaL77
Don't worry, if the time comes I will turn on my heel and go. I am VERY GOOD about not looking back after I make a solid decision. I am resolute, if nothing else.

Sounds great. MB counselling is a fab idea.

A more remorseful attitude is nice, but nothing beats verifiable actions

What about transparency with passwords etc, proving honesty such as polygraph, accounting for his time ....

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

indiegirl #2644989 07/11/12 07:37 PM
L
LisaL77 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have passwords to everything that *I know about*. The polygraph....I did not go there yet. We both account for time using GSP app on our phones. We are only at work without each other. All other time is together.

BW Me, 42
WH Him, 45
Affair began in 10/11
Married 10 years
Together 12 years
1 step-daughter, age 16
D-day 6/1/12: WH had affair w/ woman who sings in a blues band/he plays blues guitar
LisaL77 #2645173 07/12/12 11:03 AM
N
N
Just keep watching his attitude and actions. Chances are good you'll be able to tell quickly if he's still or back in contact. What you've described sounds promising, as long as he follows through.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2645679 07/13/12 11:45 AM
L
LisaL77 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
We made lots of plans for this weekend. We are seriously lacking in RC.

Tonight we are having dinner at a restaurant on Lake Ontario and watching his buddy's band play after.

Tomorrow we are kayaking on same lake, later in evening watching another buddy's band play. Seen them, they are GOOD.

Sunday....he suggested attending a friends church. I jumped on that. We are going.

We have to make time for the EN Questionanire.

BW Me, 42
WH Him, 45
Affair began in 10/11
Married 10 years
Together 12 years
1 step-daughter, age 16
LisaL77 #2647405 07/18/12 12:45 PM
L
LisaL77 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
We each completed our EN questionnaire and he was less critical than I was. I was surprised. Evidently, I have exhibited behaviors that are now meeting his EN.

Aside from some obvious trust issues and insecurity on my part, we are doing a lot better. We spend ALL our free time together. We plan activities and go out together. We have great sex. Now we need to agree on which tool on MB we will use. I am shooting for the coaching, even though it's expensive.

His most important EN are: admiration, affection, SF, conversation and an attractive spouse.

He wants me to be more aggressive and initiate more for SF-I got a low grade on that. He said he gets enough, but wants me to be more pushy. I'm working on it.

I am also working on admiration. I need to compliment him more and express my appreciation of him in my life.

Lastly, I am working on my physical appearance. I have lost 30 pounds and have to lose 25 more to get into my healthy weight range. I ballooned up before being diagnosed with MS. I was once a runner, believe it or not and could eat whatever I wanted. I am going to try to run tomorrow. I am getting my hair done and letting it grow longer. I wear makeup every day and will be shopping WITH my FWH to get his review and approval on some cute dresses.

We have not discussed the EN questionnaire results yet. I also placed importance on affection and he needs to improve here. I always say I love you and initiate loving gestures first. He is aware that I feel this way. Also, honesty and openness. His lack of these got us here in the first place, I need him to improve on this so we can understand each other and move forward in recovery. Family Commitment-we need to do more as a family. The family bond has deteriorated while he was deep in his A.

My stepdaughter FINALLY admitted that our marital problems are bothering her. We reconciled and then swore divorce 4 separate times since 6/1. I'd like to mention that *I* have been the rock here. I wanted recovery every day since D-Day. It was him that called it off while in the fog. He took her out to dinner and explained the MB process to her, she was asking about the books and stuff.

So far, so good. We need to get moving on selecting the MB recovery plan mutually agreed upon. Maybe we wont be crazy busy and can focus on that.

BW Me, 42
WH Him, 45
Affair began in 10/11
Married 10 years
Together 12 years
1 step-daughter, age 16
LisaL77 #2647603 07/18/12 11:11 PM
J
J
I assume you and your husband had STD testing?

Jedi_Knight #2647789 07/19/12 01:07 PM
L
LisaL77 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
THE FIRST WEEK, MY FRIEND!!!!

He even got a confirmation in the mail that he was clear of all STD's.

My dr. office called me with the good news. No paper.

I have to say that things are a ocean-full better since my D-day. I feel more confident and comfortable navigating this. Thank God for this site and you people.

Last edited by LisaL77; 07/19/12 01:15 PM.

BW Me, 42
WH Him, 45
Affair began in 10/11
Married 10 years
Together 12 years
1 step-daughter, age 16
LisaL77 #2650666 07/27/12 11:26 PM
N
N
Lisa, this is great to hear! Has he stuck to all his EP's? It's a whole new way of life, not just doing a few things for the BS to help them feel better.

Good job meeting his EN's, too. EN's can be SO MUCH FUN!!!!! grin

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2656113 08/14/12 09:03 AM
L
LisaL77 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Folks, can someone provide the link to the thread that gives coping mechanisms to stop mental movies???

I am struggling. frown

He is actually doing better than I am with this. I am Love Busting all over the place and I will be focusing my IC on developing a way to stop doing this.

He has been a dream with this process lately.

This is the hardest thing I ever had to do. Harder than dealing with my multiple sclerosis.

BW Me, 42
WH Him, 45
Affair began in 10/11
Married 10 years
Together 12 years
1 step-daughter, age 16
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (3 invisible), 281 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation