Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
P
OP Offline
P
I was not "walking away" from my resentment mountain.
I was standing atop and throwing rocks.

Love-bank deposits?
Methinks not.

P
OP Offline
P
A little Dr Harley to keep this on topic.......
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
Resentment seems insurmountable when an affair is first discovered, and as it unfolds, with its attending lies and thoughtless acts, it's amazing that anyone can actually overcome resentment. But it's a fact that people usually do, especially when the core problems leading to infidelity are resolved. It's a good illustration of how our instincts lead us astray when trying to resolve our marital problems. Most of us cannot imagine overcoming resentment after a spouse's affair, but those who have gone through it know that it's not only possible, but it's likely that resentment will fade away.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Me
"Is this real? probably not."

One of the big wounds made by adultery-discovery is the betrayed's inability to distinguish between what is real and what is not.

I remember looking through photo albums of pictures taken during H's secret adultery. I thought we were happy. I thought those times were as happy and as meaningful for H as they were for me.

It did not help that I read WH's love letter to OW and he said something like:

"Is this real? It's so good, is must be real." puke

My conclusion? Their reality during those *secret adultery* times was "real", while my reality during those times was not real. I read this same thing a lot from the newbie-BS on the SAA forum.

Love-bank resistance and resentments both seem insurmountable when the BS cannot tell real from not real. Or, more precisely put, cannot trust his/her own judgment to discern the difference!

~~~> It is my opinion that the BS cannot begin their walk away from resentment mountain until they trust themselves and their own judgment.

Attempted Love-bank deposits by the FWS will be rejected by their BS (or analyzed to death) as long as the BS has a significant level of self doubt.

Last edited by Pepperband; 07/30/12 01:07 PM. Reason: fun with font
I
I
Originally Posted by Pepperband
One of the big wounds made by adultery-discovery is the betrayed's inability to distinguish between what is real and what is not.

Stunning logic, Pep. The A makes everything feel fake and counterfeit. AND IT WAS. For a while there...

It's why I think I have 'the Truth will set you free' in my sig.

In a way though, isn't the resentful spouse wise? As long as she can temper it and keep it respectful?

After being paid counterfeit money for so long, there's nothing wrong with saying:

'Show me the REAL money'
'Prove it's validity'.
'Your credit and ability to make LB deposits at this bank is ruined for the forseeable future'.

But a bank owed funds wouldnt turn down money, when it's backed up by a guarantee.

That's why a polygraph, NC letter, Post Nup, are together worth more than the sum of their parts. It is the WS trying to rebuild credibility with proof through actions.

Even after that, there is a test of stability and consistency to be proved over time.
Much like a credit rating

Last edited by indiegirl; 07/30/12 01:48 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

A
A
EXCELLENT stuff. Please keep going.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
C
C
Your obviously an intelligent woman and have struggled with resentment BV. Not to be flippant but I'm sorry you are so smart. At the time these mountains come into our lives, most of us in a personal relationship try to handle it all, and the result most of the time is resentment

Why me? I gave them every chance, I operated with integrity and forgiveness, why can't I put it in the past?

The intelligence God gave you WILL eventually lead you out of the woods, where you will find peace from all this, whether you recover your marrige or not. I hope you recover, and because you think, your thoughts will be the key

I'm not trying to tell you you must comply to recovery, or convince you to forgive him, this site has the tools better than anything I recognize, but that is up to you, your own personal journey, emotions, and of course, your free will choice. That is clear from Dr Hs teaching, and spirit that keeps marriages alive and healthy. They are supposed to add to us, not reduce us

That's why God is involved

Divorcing him does not mean you are not a Godly person either, so I won't go there.

Start your own thread, and let us all dedicate ourselves to your situation. I can't promise the help like from a professional like Dr H, but the care and interest that will be shown you will help you sort out what you need to heal

P
OP Offline
P

�We forge the chains we wear in life.�

~ Charles Dickens

I refuse to waste my life throwing rocks!

I refuse to live in victimhood.

I cast away both those chains.

Then what?

Corrie ten Boom is my heroine.

Originally Posted by Famous Corrie ten Boom quotes
"Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open."

"Do you know what hurts so very much? It's love. Love is the strongest force in the world, and when it is blocked that means pain. There are two things we can do when this happens. We can kill that love so that it stops hurting, but then part of us dies, too. Or we can ask God to open up another route for that love to travel."

When my rock-throwing-pitching-arm grew weary ... (By the way, all that rock-throwing made me look stupid to myself doh2 )

.... but my heart was still breaking .... What did I do?

Stay tuned.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by indiegirl
That's why a polygraph, NC letter, Post Nup, are together worth more than the sum of their parts. It is the WS trying to rebuild credibility with proof through actions.

I support all of these MB-based actions as the waywards journey back to the marriage. You are correct - these are all WS-centric activities. Wayward credibility.

It is my opinion that none of the above WS tasks adequately addresses the betrayed's lack of confidence in their own ability to discern truth from lies in the future.

A
A
I believe the lack of confidence you are talking about is huge. Although I had had many professional and personal successes, after the A and especially after the FR, I felt almost no self confidence. I felt like the "nothing" in the "The Neverending Story". I was unsure of my preceptions, was out of tune with current events around me. And I couldn't even consider the future.

I think the only thing that can change this lack of confidence is time. The more current reality is consistent with preception, the better the confidence. I think, maybe.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
P
OP Offline
P
.... but my heart was still breaking .... What did I do?

I surrendered.

P
OP Offline
P
I surrendered.

I was in my bedroom closet, door closed.
On my knees weeping. There, I surrendered.
I hated my rock throwing.
I hated my lack of confidence.
I hated not having the answers.

I surrendered.

P
OP Offline
P
The origin of The Serenity Prayer is attributed to Niebuhr:

Originally Posted by Niebuhr
God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.

I acknowledge this as my blueprint for expunging my heart of my resentments.

I once wrote to BobPure ... "Sooner or later you will have to give up hope for a better yesterday."

This is surrendering.

The most important thing is this: We accept that we cannot change the past.
We cannot change others.
We have the courage to change ourselves.

Last edited by Pepperband; 07/30/12 03:20 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
Off soap box now.

P
OP Offline
P
After surrender ... what then?

Back to MB basics, naturally.

Originally Posted by Dr H
These are the Four Rules to Guide Marital Recovery that you and your husband should follow to help you restore your love for eachother:

1. The Rule of Protection: Avoid being the cause of your spouse's unhappiness.

2. The Rule of Care: Meet your spouse's most important emotional needs.

3: The Rule of Time: Give your spouse your undivided attention.

4. The Rule of Honesty: Be completely honest with your spouse.

Just 4 simple rules.
How hard could it be, right?
rotflmao

OMG it's sooooooooooooo hard!

But, there it is.
4 simple (not easy) rules.

Using resentment as a punishment is a direct violation to rule #1.

P
OP Offline
P
Once a couple considers themselves to be "in recovery" process .... the rules are not divided.

Such as:
Rules for the BS.
Rules for the WS.

No. Dr Harley is very clear.
One set of rules.
Love bank filling.
No withdrawals.

I
I
the rules are not divided.

Such as:
Rules for the BS.
Rules for the WS.

No. Dr Harley is very clear.
One set of rules.

Excellent!

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

N
N
I hated my rock throwing.
I hated my lack of confidence.
I hated not having the answers.

I surrendered.

To.....?

Fate? Chance? The Almighty? Your WH's whims and choices?

Your timeline is not all that clear as to the date of your capitulation, Pep, and how long your rock-throwing endured, but I'm not sure all BSs can comfortably...abdicate...management of their own recovery process to anyone/thing. (From an extremely limited sample-size, it appears to be a gender-based issue.)

For me it required the mental construct of "ending it" with bride number 1, and concurrently beginning a new life with bride number 2 (or anyway, bride number 1A). I invested and assigned all resentment to that first person, leaving myself free to dispassionately analyze the potential of the second to NOT betray me as did the first. Some of the other BHs here have heard this from me, and it seems to have helped them (or at least they were kind enough to inform me I was full of **it!).

Regardless of the methodology, though, it does seem necessary (theoretically and experientially) that there needs to be some way of forming a break between the reality of what happened, and the forecast of what will never happen again, if the marriage is to re-flourish, resentment being an alias for "suppressed suspicion".

D
D
It is my opinion that none of the above WS tasks adequately addresses the betrayed's lack of confidence in their own ability to discern truth from lies in the future.

Statistically speaking, it is much harder to detect falsehood from a spouse than from a stranger. In repeated, controlled studies on the topic, people average about 50% falsehood detection when a stranger is telling the falsehood. These same people average about 25% falsehood detection when a spouse tells them the falsehood.

Moral of the story: you're inclined to give your spouse the benefit of the doubt much more than a stranger would, and if your spouse is lying to you you are MUCH less likely than a stranger would be to detect it.

The most important take-away is this, as Dr. Harley often says on the radio show:

"You can trust everybody under some conditions, and you cannot trust anybody under other conditions." He commonly uses the example that your spouse is probably perfectly trustworthy when you are snuggled up alone together on the couch at home talking and exchanging affection. The spouse would be less trustworthy if out at a singles bar with some friends.

Trust is not a lightbulb. The purpose of "extraordinary precautions" is to create the conditions in your marriage under which you can trust one another. If those conditions are not present, you cannot trust one another to one degree or another.

Under what conditions can you trust your spouse? Under what conditions can you not trust them? Figure that out, and you're well on your way.

Doormat_No_More
(Formerly Barnboy)
Original thread lost in the forum purge of '09.
4 months after D-Day
1 year after D-Day
Two Years Later
Four Years Later
M
M
Pep,

I read your story yesterday with interest.

I have a question:

Would you say that the change you made was a change in behavior, a change in beliefs, or a change in feelings?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
W
W

That is powerful imagery...building on that, what about the possibility that there are others who stand on top of their mountain of resentment and don't necessarily throw rocks, but have instead built themselves a fortress? I wonder if in those cases, the FWS can never hope to breach those walls. And, you (the FWS) can't blame them for needing to protect themselves from you, especially after giving them a reason to need protection.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 469 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation