Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
S
S
Originally Posted by armymama
I believe the lack of confidence you are talking about is huge. Although I had had many professional and personal successes, after the A and especially after the FR, I felt almost no self confidence. I felt like the "nothing" in the "The Neverending Story". I was unsure of my preceptions, was out of tune with current events around me. And I couldn't even consider the future.

I think the only thing that can change this lack of confidence is time. The more current reality is consistent with preception, the better the confidence. I think, maybe.

AM

I think this is why it is especially important to have a plan you have confidence in. When you lose confidence in yourself, you still have the steps to follow that you can grab onto - like a ladder in the pool when you are tired and feel like you're going to drown. And that ladder is there whether it's personal recovery or marital or both.

(I like using that analogy because it's something my H said I was to him...) smile

Edited to add... lots of good stuff here on these past couple of pages - I'm just out of time to comment on it all!

Last edited by SunnyDinTX; 07/31/12 01:18 PM.

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by markos
Pep,

I read your story yesterday with interest.

I have a question:

Would you say that the change you made was a change in behavior, a change in beliefs, or a change in feelings?

My changes began with a change in my attitude.
Asking God to take the wheel, because I was wildly all over the road and crashing into things. I knew I was causing more damage, and I knew I had to stop (for my own sake), but I did not know how.

Please, remember, this was all pre-MB forums.

My feelings were just like every other BS. Helplessness + anger = one crazy lady.

The first behavioral change I made was to become quiet and shut-the-hell-up! My 'rocks' were verbal.

My belief in my God was briefly shaken, then grew stronger.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by wulffpack_girl
Originally Posted by Pepperband
I was not "walking away" from my resentment mountain.
I was standing atop and throwing rocks.

That is powerful imagery...building on that, what about the possibility that there are others who stand on top of their mountain of resentment and don't necessarily throw rocks, but have instead built themselves a fortress? I wonder if in those cases, the FWS can never hope to breach those walls. And, you (the FWS) can't blame them for needing to protect themselves from you, especially after giving them a reason to need protection.

This is why I asked you about your timeline.

It is my opinion ~~~> that if the BS has created a never-ending impenetrable wall keeping their husband/wife at a distance ... then they should divorce. Especially if years have past and the FWS has done every effort asked of them.

Like MBer Krazy ... his wife did the right things reaching towards recovery, but Krazy finally came to the conclusion he could not ever lower his defenses and allow himself to become vulnerable to love his wife again. In those circumstances, it is kinder to divorce than live in an ice house. IMO, Krazy did his wife a favor. He tried. He could not. He acknowledged he could not. He filed for divorce. IMO, his divorce was an ethical choice. He was honest. He did not fail. He tried.

The wall of protection may be used as a weapon .... if used dishonestly to keep the FWS in a forever limbo.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
To.....?

Fate? Chance? The Almighty? Your WH's whims and choices?

My God.
I surrendered my pridefulness.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Doormat_No_More
Moral of the story: you're inclined to give your spouse the benefit of the doubt much more than a stranger would, and if your spouse is lying to you you are MUCH less likely than a stranger would be to detect it.

TRUE !!!!

Trust is not a lightbulb.

Cool phrase.

Under what conditions can you trust your spouse? Under what conditions can you not trust them? Figure that out, and you're well on your way.

hurray

Also, figure out under what circumstances you can trust yourself.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by SunnyDinTX
I think this is why it is especially important to have a plan you have confidence in. When you lose confidence in yourself, you still have the steps to follow that you can grab onto - like a ladder in the pool when you are tired and feel like you're going to drown. And that ladder is there whether it's personal recovery or marital or both.

Wonderful! Thanks.

(I like using that analogy because it's something my H said I was to him...) smile

awwwwwwwwwwww

P
OP Offline
P
And, you (the FWS) can't blame them for needing to protect themselves from you, especially after giving them a reason to need protection.

I call a "time out" on this. (picture me, wearing a striped referee shirt, making the "T" sign with my hands)

Your H is allowing you to do things FOR HIM but not accepting love-bank deposits in order to build a loving relationship with YOU.

I call this dishonest bullcrap. I don't call it "protection". Protection is Plan B.

C
C
DoNoMo got the quote I liked
Recovery really begins when you can trust yourself

Let's take the other partner out of the picture, Plan B as it is practically used.
There is where the resentment lies, within yourself about yourself. Also the evidence of trusting what your spouse says about 25% of the time and what strangers 50% makes sense too

I love the quote made to BobPure also Pep

So where does healing and strength begin? It's within yourself

Many marriages can be healed at the same time, but separating the subjective from the objective is a nessesary process that takes time

"How could I have been such a fool? Why did this happen to me?" Ask god and his counselors
"Why did they lie? Why did they cheat?" Ask the cheating spouse or thier counsellors

Trusting yourself comes first

Thanks for this thread Pep may God continue to richly bless you

C
C
Oh just picked up on it that you healed your affair issue Pre-Mb Pep

Much like what drew me to Dr H and the forums, when I read about plan B and had accually done it myself years ago.

Just makes sense huh?

Them aliens

N
N
My God. I surrendered my pridefulness.

As I try to interpret this, you were able to subordinate your resentment of, and innate distrust in, WH to your faith that He would protect your interests?

If so, I'm impressed (obviously not for the first time!), all the more because that would have been impossible for me to accomplish. I know that because I tried it.

The problem that kept raising its head was that I knew that bride and I had made all the sacred vows in His presence on our wedding day. If to Him was to be ascribed the ability to ensure/assure bride's fidelity in the FUTURE, what failure caused Him to not attend to that detail in the PAST? (Let's not even open the discussion of the impossibility of failure on His part!)

Please don't take this discussion as my doubting that it worked for you, or might not work for others. I just cannot envision ever having enough personal faith in the Almighty/spouse linkage to trust it.

P
OP Offline
P
As I try to interpret this, you were able to subordinate your resentment of, and innate distrust in, WH to your faith that He would protect your interests?

Not exactly.
I surrendered that I did not know what I was doing.
I was lost.
I was going to need His guidance.
I had faith that I would make better choices because He was going to slap me around (or, gently guide me if possible) if I made wrong choices.

Mr Pep could have gone off to fly flaming poo kites in the pouring rain .... for all I cared at that time. rotflmao

I was focused on myself and my need for His Grace.

C
C
Yeah I hear ya NG
For years I had said when I got to heaven I had a bone or two to pick with God
" You said this, and allowed that, WTH?. I did all you asked and was ready to die for it, but you leave me like a fool in this world? You better have an answer!"
Such is the male response

Seems like I was right years ago when I left her because she drank. Not bringing in God at all, just common sense and survival.

Yeah heard it all then too, eventually I would be OK, but I needed support and didnt look for it because of pride as I hardened my heart

That doesn't work either because our hearts were not designed to be hard. We eventually fall again for what my friend called then," The tender trap"

In my case I went out to find zactly what my wife had done, with all the same bullcrap, like we warn others here when they think,"I just am so lonely and need to be loved" what a sucker, and falling into that set ME up for a false recovery with my wife. Which turned out to have deadly consequences as you know
The game of love, where the cards are stacked in Gods favor" Who is first shall be last"
The resentment takes years to overcome, and as two years approached when wife was clean and things looked up, I was still processing the resentment from the past, when it all started again, but now we were going to church, involved with ministy out saving souls and of course it would be alright, God was looking out for us, forgivness was the answer.
So I personally went for round two of the suffering savior role. Or round three, lost count

When will we realize Christ allready died so we could have life and stop trying to mimic him?
We own resentment and it's a hell we embrace as just compensation for wrongs done to us that in some way I guess we asked for

I
I
I was not "walking away" from my resentment mountain.
I was standing atop and throwing rocks.

That is powerful imagery...building on that, what about the possibility that there are others who stand on top of their mountain of resentment and don't necessarily throw rocks, but have instead built themselves a fortress? I wonder if in those cases, the FWS can never hope to breach those walls. And, you (the FWS) can't blame them for needing to protect themselves from you, especially after giving them a reason to need protection.

This is a very sad image WPG. A BS has the right to walk away..but stand still and build a fortress? How woefully depressing for all concerned.

If my H comes to repentance after a D, I will not walk with him. But not because I am walled in to the mountain, but because I have already walked away in such a fashion he cannot follow. And that is kinder. He can heal and close his lovebank for me (even if it is just the cake-eating kind) without me there.

Your H is allowing you to do things FOR HIM but not accepting love-bank deposits in order to build a loving relationship with YOU.

I call this dishonest bullcrap. I don't call it "protection". Protection is Plan B.

No matter what the past, two people are needed to make a couple. One person cannot be asked to give and give.

That is the dangerous deception resentment tries to con the betrayed into 'Get whatever you want! On demand! They OWE you!'

Its OK short term, but not forever.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

C
C
Yeah Indie you got it
Even the passion and self seeking anger of resentment wanes after a time, and what a waste of time
We are spiritual beings and we gotta ne honest about that, our emotions are running our lives
So it's no wonder when Peter walked on the water in the bible, ( the water being in many beliefs to be like our emotions and simulates them in us), that when he became aware of what he was doing, he plunged back into it again.

The emotions don't think, they react. They make little sense

Building that fortress is natural for men, like the mancave, but women do it too when they seek shelter

N
N
Thanx, Pep. I think the concept made it through the casaba this time.

You weren't expecting Him to assure WH's new fidelity;
you were putting in His hands your welfare regardless
of whether or not WH got with the program.

Hmmmmmm......I have to think on that one.

N
N
WPG:

Your H is allowing you to do things FOR HIM but not accepting love-bank deposits in order to build a loving relationship with YOU. I call this dishonest bullcrap. - Pepperband

This is kinda the issue I've been anticipating discussing with you on your thread. In essence, there are only four "Plans" open to a BS, long-term:

Plan A, Plan B, Plan D, and Plan M.

I'll wait for you.

P
OP Offline
P
This is kinda the issue I've been anticipating discussing with you on your thread. In essence, there are only four "Plans" open to a BS, long-term:

Plan A, Plan B, Plan D, and Plan M.

I'll wait for you.

Me? WPG?

I'm a little thick this morning.

Edit to add:
Plan A is not supposed to be long term.
By "Plan M" I think you mean marital recovery, am I correct?
Are you posting from mobile device?

N
N
No, you're not thick, Pep. I was trying to get a point to WPG. From her posting on her thread, she got it.

Yes, I know Plan A is not really long-term. What I should have said was steady-state, as in "once all the oscillations stop".

And Yes, Plan M is "Plan Marital Recovery/Marriage".

B
B
An excellent show that the Harley's talked to the BW and WH. You could still hear the resentment (understandably so) in the BW's voice. Also Dr. Harley explains how if he didn't live by his EP's he would've been just like the WH.

Radio Clip on a BW and WH married for 38 years and he had an affair for 8 years
Segment #2
Segment #3
Segment #4
Segment #5

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Another excellent two part series. The callers back in May after the BW just found out about her WH's affair from 6 years ago.

Radio Clip on Affair from 6 years a...ly friend and BW just found out about it
Segment #2
Segment #3
Segment #4

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 374 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation