Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23
M
M
Originally Posted by KGaa12
I get what i guys r saying and W already expressed she would contact me right away if anything from OM.

being honest about contact does not mitigate the damage from contact. If I am "honest" with my husband every time I take a drink, will that make me any more sober? No, it won't. Being honest will not stop her from being triggered and will not stop the affair from resuming.

ONLY NO CONTACT WILL ACHIEVE THAT.

You need to move, KGaa, if you really want to protect your marriage. Keep in mind that every sighting will put her back to day 1 of recovery and will likely result in a resumed affair. It is unrealistic to imagine you can recover your marriage that way.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
If I go to the bar and get drunk but I am "honest" with my husband about it, will I be sober?

Does anyone have the answer to that?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
...she had a prwvious bf becore we married..they were serious and she ran into him and nothing was reignited.

Kgaa, your marriage has already been hit by an affair so it is not convincing when you try to sell us on the notion that your wife can be trusted. It only reflects a serious lack of understanding of the nature of affairs. Your wife has weak boundaries so you won't get far trying to tell us she can be trusted in high risk situations with former lovers.

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
In spite of career sacrifices, friendships, and issues relating to children's schooling, I am adamant in recommending that there be no contact with a former lover for life. For many, that means a move to another state. But to do otherwise fails to recognize the nature of addiction and its cure.

<snip>

We don't know if R.J. still sees his lover, but he says he has broken off all contact. In many cases where a person is still in town, that's hard to prove. But one thing's for sure, if he ever does see his lover, it will put him in a state of perpetual withdrawal from his addiction, and make the resolution of his marriage essentially impossible. In fact, one of the reasons he is not recovering after three months of separation may be that he is not being truthful about the separation.

Entire article at: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5060_qa.html

How to Survive an Affair chapter in HIS NEEDS, HER NEEDS
p. 177

...I have seen husbands build new and wonderful relationships with their wives but then go back to their lovers after five or six years of what appeared to be marital bliss. When I ask them why, they inevitably tell me they miss the woman terribly and still love her. At the same time they stoutly affirm they love their wives dearly and would not think of leaving them.

I believe a man like this has told the truth. He is hopelessly entangled and needs all the help possible to be kept away from his lover and stay faithful to his wife. I often recommend that a man once involved in an affair come in to see me every three to six months on an indefinite basis, just to talk about how things are going and to let me know how successfully he has stayed away from his lover. He must resign himself to a lifetime without her. HE MUST CERTAINLY NOT WORK WITH HIS FORMER LOVER AND SHOULD PROBABLY LIVE IN SOME OTHER CITY OR STATE. Even with those restrictions the desire for her company persists...

Exposure 101

M
M
She says she understands the boundries she didnt have and i have to give her the chance to prove herself..the only other option is tlldivorce... at some point it is a chance your taking.......

No, the other option is to do what Dr Harley recommends and what many, many others here have done: MOVE. You should not be taking chances.

You already have taken chances and you can see where that got you.

Exposure 101

K
KGaa12 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Ok..I dont trust her word BUT i am giving her thechance to prove herself and provide just compensation...

M
M
Ok..I dont trust her word BUT i am giving her thechance to prove herself and provide just compensation...

"Proving herself" misses the point entirely. You were hit by a car playing chicken and becoming a better chicken player is not the solution. The solution is to GET OUT OF THE ROAD. She failed before and she will fail again in the same environment.

YOU MUST CHANGE THE ENVIRONMENT THAT LED TO THE AFFAIR.

What you are doing is sending the alcoholic into the bar and saying "I am giving her a chance to prove herself." She is less likely "prove herself" though if she is in the bar. The solution is to get out of the bar; ie: change the environment and make sure she doesn't run into the OM again.

Living in a small town where it is easy for her to hook up with her lover reflects a lack of understanding of the nature of affairs.

Exposure 101

M
M
If recovering your marriage is your goal, then not trusting her and giving her the chance to prove herself are things that need to be in place.

However, these things are not enough. You also need to remove any condition that led to the affair in the first place. That condition, in the case of your wife's affair, was a simple 'crossing of paths'. That's all it took. This condition remains as of today. This condition needs to be removed or that risk remains.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M

If you want her to pass that test, you should move. She can't "prove herself" if she lives in the same environment as the OM. Again, you must change the environment.

Exposure 101

A
A
Two red flags I see:

1. Your wife hasn't posted in a couple of days.

2. When asked, she avoided the question about moving, twice.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
M
M
Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"In spite of career sacrifices, friendships, and issues relating to children's schooling, I am adamant in recommending that there be no contact with a former lover for life. For many, that means a move to another state. But to do otherwise fails to recognize the nature of addiction and its cure."

Exposure 101

K
KGaa12 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
She hasnt posted because she said all has been answered and we now neex to work on recovery....she says she knows what her work is to do and she was never crazy about telling hef story to tje world and unknown people to hear harsh commenta in return. She says some things have helped but she would like to focus on the books and what dr. Harley says not some inknown people that look down on her..she says she feels bad enough about the A and doeant need salts in the wounds....

M
M
I am very concerned about your situation, kgaa, and so are the others here.

How far away does the OM live from you?

And do you have spy resources in place that your wife DOES NOT KNOW about?

Exposure 101

K
KGaa12 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
No ther resources in place...i've run out of options..OM lives near center of town about 15 min away...she is aware of his house location and him hers....bad thing is that OM parents live about a mile south of us...When i brought this up to W she said the Om told her during A that he didnt see parents much...i have not seen him there much...our. ity is about 300k but small enough that you cross the same peoples path every now and again...please people..i do want to give W credit for trying the right things i've asked...she is a very stubborn perosn at times..she just has he mind set on trying to fix this and get us back. Besides what i've done and she agreed to do what else can i do?????? Shes giving me nothing to think or see anything different. Ru guys saying that unless we move our marriage will fail? NOBODY ever makes it in the same town as their lover? I guess if we come home to visit they could run into each other also? Right? Tell me what to do and request of her so i can geta grip on this....

M
M
Besides what i've done and she agreed to do what else can i do??????

I would most definitely move. And in the meantime, I would strongly urge that you put some spy resources in place that she doesn't know about so she can't circumvent them. Ones that she knows about will be of no effect.

Shes giving me nothing to think or see anything different.

And you wouldn't know it she did do something different, though. As long as she knows every spy resource you have, then you have no way of knowing what she is doing when you aren't looking.

Exposure 101

M
M
She hasnt posted because she said all has been answered and we now neex to work on recovery....she says she knows what her work is to do and she was never crazy about telling hef story to tje world and unknown people to hear harsh commenta in return. She says some things have helped but she would like to focus on the books and what dr. Harley says not some inknown people that look down on her..she says she feels bad enough about the A and doeant need salts in the wounds....
Sooo. When she did something wrong as a child, did she stop talking to her mother when her mother said something she didn't want to hear?

I understand that we are strangers. But we are strangers who have SURVIVED THE SAME EVENT. She should be desperate to hear our thoughts. For her to run and hide concerns me. That tells me that she may not be as committed to recovery as you might think. That tells me that she may be thinking "Okay, I screwed up. Get over it already!" NOT GOOD. She's sweeping it under the rug.

D-Day 2-10-2009

K
KGaa12 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I am exhausted. Without going into detail, I have run out of spy tactics....I do this kind of stuff in another arena for a living and beleive me I exhausted all those efforts catching the affair in the first place...I knew what I was doing and I still do...If I wanted to catch her from this point on, I surly could amd she knows it...I dont want to continue to have an "open case" on my wife. Its simple..I told her if she ever looks, speaks or references the OM again..I GONE, dont care why, where or how it all came about. I cant go on conducting a full fledged investiation on my wife..I did that to discover the A, and beleive me I went to great lengths. As far as the OM..cross my path, and I think he'd consider relocation. I feel like I am in a bad situation witha bunch of books on how to try and save my life as I knew it. No crap I cant trust her, got that point when I diacovered an affair. But what does giving her a chance mean. If ahe is really that in love as described here with the OM why on gods earth wouldnt the smart thing to do ia let them be together. W understands her screw up and does not resist anything i ask. So what ive gathered is tell W were moving and until I can find a job cross my fingers and hope that the two mad lovers dont see eachother at a red light or something.

M
M
Just consider that every time she drives by the OM's parents house she will be triggered. Every time she drives close to his house she will be triggered. The more triggers, the greater likelihood the affair resumes. She even realizes she will be running into him when she offered to be "honest" about it.

How does she feel about moving away?

Exposure 101

M
M
i've run out of options..
I don't know what this means. Please explain this to me.
OM lives near center of town about 15 min away...she is aware of his house location and him hers....bad thing is that OM parents live about a mile south of us...When i brought this up to W she said the Om told her during A that he didnt see parents much..
Does this make you feel better? That OM doesn't see his OWN PARENTS much? redflag Bull.
she is a very stubborn perosn at times
She needs to lose this if she wants to save her marriage. Stubborn doesn't have a place in a healthy marriage.
Ru guys saying that unless we move our marriage will fail? NOBODY ever makes it in the same town as their lover?
I'm not saying anything of the kind, and you know it. I'm saying that the conditions that facilitated YOUR wife's affair are still in place and need to be eliminated.
I guess if we come home to visit they could run into each other also? Right?
No, that won't happen. Because you will be wise enough to know that your WW will not be out of your sight while you are visiting your relatives.

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
M
I cant go on conducting a full fledged investiation on my wife...

If that is what it takes for you to know what she is doing when you aren't around, then that is what it takes. However, one doesn't have to conduct a full fledged investigation to know what their spouse is doing at all times. I know what my husband all the time we are apart and it is effortless.

But what does giving her a chance mean

It doesn't mean that you continue to send the drunk into the bar and hope for the best. It means she changes the environment and STOPS going into the bar.

Dr Harley is REAL CLEAR on what it takes to recover a marriage, and one of the first steps is changing the environment that led to the affair. THAT MEANS MOVING AWAY FROM THE OM IF NEED BE, IN ORDER TO AVOID CONTACT:

Originally Posted by DR HARLEY
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

Exposure 101

M
M
I dont want to continue to have an "open case" on my wife.
You need to understand that you will need to snoop on your wife until you are at a point where you feel safe.

I had my husband wired for sound after his affair. If I could have tracked his thoughts I would have done so. I did what I needed to do to feel safe - 'trust' did not factor into my equation at that point.

As you go through recovery this need to feel safe becomes less as your spouse continues to show complete transparency. You aren't there yet.

D-Day 2-10-2009

Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 176 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation