Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 62 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 61 62
S
S
Zhamila,
Yes, I was very disappointed that we were not having another boy. I was NOT disappointed that we were having another girl. A very distinct difference. I did express my hurt over a perceived string of unanswered prayers.
Anointed, I am horrified! He is demeaning you, your baby girl, and really all women...And he's trying to cover it with a joke?

Come hell or high water, I would be very inclined to take Dr. Harley's advice about now.
I was definitely not demeaning my wife or my baby girl, at least not intentionally. I apologized for the jokes that I had made. I love my childern, all four of them! With all serious now, with your expert advice on building a marriage, we'll be going through the big D any day now. Thanks.

S
S
Thank you, SugarCane.
After thinking about this today, I want to caution you against seeing your H as verbally abusive or having unacceptable attitudes because of the way he responded to this news.

Anointed, you must be aware that people have strong feelings about wanting boys or wanting girls. This does not make them abusive or unacceptable - although they should refrain for speaking of the disappointment in ways that might reach the child one day.

I've known people who have had only one sex of child and because of that, longed for the other. I have a friend who has 5 boys and no girls. She was as proud as punch after boy no.1 - I always had the impression that she pitied me for not having delivered a boy as my firstborn. She was still happy with boy no.3, and would get bristly when people implied that she must be disappointed with him after going through so much pregnancy trauma.

She wasn't disappointed in him at all, but by pregnancy no.4 she admitted that she and her H would like a girl. She never implied that they didn't love their boys - but a mixed family would be nice. A daughter would be lovely for her in the all-male household.

She found out during pregnancy 5 that she was having another boy, and she said that her heart ached for her H, whose face she saw drop at the news - just for a moment, then he was back to saying he was happy to have a healthy baby.

Their 5, strapping, handsome boys are now aged 15-23 and making their way in the world. They are wonderful and any parent would be proud of them, but if she sometimes wishes she could have had a daughter I would understand that.

My own mother had daughters and no sons and only as I grew older did I hear her talk about the loss she felt. A lot of people will tell you that sons have a special relationship with their mothers. As little children they adore their mothers in a way that girls might not, and even when they are grown up they hold a soft spot for their mothers. Whether that is true or not, my mother appeared to have felt that she missed out on something very special by not having a doting son.

Yes, I know that both doting sons, and sugar-and-spice girls, can grow up to be drug addicts and axe murderers, and that, in most cases, we end up loving our kids to the ends of the earth regardless of sex, but that's not the point. It's that many people have (irrational, perhaps) desires when it comes to wanting sons or daughters - or the perfect balance of both, as your H seems to want.

That doesn't make them bad, abusive, unacceptable or cruel.

It's just a disappointment for now, and even if it remains a disappointment for life that he did not have another son, it does not mean that your H will not love the girl he is given. I've seen that it is possible to quietly, and infrequently, mourn what you have "lost" without associating that loss with the child that was given.
Thank you for sharing this insight and wisdom with the crowd. Everyone, please...quietly put down your stones now and walk away.

S
S
Zhamila,
(Listen'na me....O She who doesn't take her OWN ADVICE!)
PLEASE stop trying to fix your marriage through ours. It appears you are displacing AO's in your own marriage. If you get a divorce, that is your choice, but please leave my family out of it. If you would simply follow the actual MB plan, there is a great change that you can salvage your marriage.

H
H
Disrupting your wife's thread to defend yourself or justify your choices will do very little to improve your marriage.

Anointed is a big girl. She can defend her own values, sir.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
S
Zhamila,
Further insight:
How's your LB$? Sounds like he doesn't want you to complain, either (he's got time to work out, but not post here? He won't change his work schedule so y'all can get some UA?)
Annointed did actually say, "I know he doesn't sit and waste time." I'm glad and a bit relieved that she sees it that way because I don't think I waste a lot of time either. I do make time to work out because it helps me to relieve stress and fitness is important to me. I would like to hit the gym 4-5 times per week, but for the past many months I only make it about twice, if at all. I go to work early (7am), before my family even wakes up, so I can get a good start on the workday to get as much done as possible. As I've discussed with my wife, I usually leave between 415-430, and since I can't teleport home I don't walk in the door until 430 or closer to 5p. If I change my schedule to 8-5, I would still be leaving when she was sleeping and I would only be guaranteeing a later home time. How exactly does that help us have more time together?
Through the summer work has been very busy and stressful- perhaps creating an even greater need to work out- and it has at times required me to work much later, often 9-11 hour days. I work hard and I work to impress- they've fired two people in our group in the last year and announced lay-offs a couple of months ago. As the sole bread winner, I can't afford to not ensure that they know that I am working hard. I'm not necessarily happy at work and I'm trying to make changes, although they don't appear to be quick or impactful enough to please my wife considering the lambasting that I received just the other day.
Do you believe that my finding another job should be POJA'd? What about her NOT working- POJA?

S
S
Sorry, Zhamila,
This is ALL abuse.
I'm calling BS on your list. Do you work in the media?? Not only did you gather this information from only one eye witness with her own perspectives and agenda, but most of these things fall so far away from the MB definition of AO's that I'm amused that you even listed them. Reaching.
-he just tells me that I know this is how they are, so am I just going to love them anyway (when she is hurt by his family�s actions)- This is me simply stating a MB truth that you can't change people
-�when we got in bed he asked for SF. I said that I wasn't feeling very close to him... He said that I basically just said "no." I explained that it was similar to the part in Lovebusters where the wife felt "raped�"I told him that I felt used sometimes when my needs aren't being met. He took great offense to that�-She hurt my feelings
-He then said that it doesn't make any sense to do that since I never have my phone on me anyway.-Not everything that makes sense to everyone else makes sense to me; MB states that I'm entitled to my own opinion
-He said with a smirk, "How are you going to make chili?" When I explained he said, "that is not my idea of chili." I asked him how he'd like me to do lunch, and he said never mind because he's �not allowed to have an opinion.�-I'm sharing the way I feel about discussing the way I feel
-He says I am much worse about AO than he is.-I still believe that and I believe she has admitted as much in her own posts. She is better now but still has AO towards both me and the kids. Kettle, I was just implying the kettle/pot thing
-I asked him if he could ask about me during our conversation, and he said, "What are you?"-That was a joke. She asked (demanded really since she wouldn't take no for an answer)that I ask her a question about her.
-He looked in the fridge and saw that some produce had started to go bad, and he was upset about it. (wasteful)-the food was not used and went to waste, I was pointing out a fact. The waste is a LB for me.
-He said, "How many times did you eat out?" Twice. He got really upset and said something like, it's stuff like that that just eats our finances up. He then said something like, "You are on your way to going back to work."-budget comes into play in a lot of our conversations. The numbers don't lie and the truth is that if we don't watch the spending she will need to go back to work. That possibility upsets her.
Since she gets to define anything I say as an AO, DJ, etc, I will not say anything about those.

S
S
HoldHerHand,
Disrupting your wife's thread to defend yourself or justify your choices will do very little to improve your marriage.

Anointed is a big girl. She can defend her own values, sir.
I am simply fighting for my marriage. I'm fighting those that are advising my wife to do harm to our relationship. I'm going to fight very hard against complete strangers who know very little about our lives or relationships, who have no counselling credentials, and who have admitted and current major maritial problems yet advise my wife to kick me out or walk out on our family.
I'm not trying to correct or speak for Annointed. She has the right and ability to speak for herself. My responses are meant to defend my marriage! Does having both sides to the story not help you get a wholistic picture and thus give more educated advice? Annointed invited my to read her threads and post. Am I breaking an unwritten rule- possibly written but I sure haven't read it- by posting on this thread? I assume it would be easier for people to offer assistance to us if we are on the same thread, sharing the same stories.

J
J
Anointed, I'm flabbergasted that he has taken over your thread, and is attempting to shout down your thoughts and feelings with justifications of his own.

Do you see how very controlling this behavior is? As if you are a puppet or doll, and he must speak 'for you.'

He is very unsafe, and is proving it moment by moment. I pray he gets help. I pray you get safe.

(((((((hugs)))))))

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
K
K
Z, please stop. You also took over her thread bashing and verbally attacking her husband knowing he was reading the thread. His response were towards you. He needs to stay off her thread but your continued dissing of him is not helping.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

K
K
Anointed, I think you and your husband are severely lacking in POJA agreements. He wasn't enthusiastic about the furniture, he doesn't seem enthusiastic about how much you spend on hair cuts, and he doesn't seem enthusiastic about finding another job.

You might also examine your tone of voice and the way you display your displeasure. He feels disrespected and insulted about the movie ordeal, the haircuts, and the lawn mowing. All spending should be POJA. There is an indication that you spend without consulting your spouse first.

Are both of you enthusiastic about having another child when y'all seem to be unsure about finances.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

S
S
Originally Posted by ShipAtSea
I am simply fighting for my marriage. I'm fighting those that are advising my wife to do harm to our relationship. I'm going to fight very hard against complete strangers who know very little about our lives or relationships, who have no counselling credentials, and who have admitted and current major maritial problems yet advise my wife to kick me out or walk out on our family.
I'm not trying to correct or speak for Annointed. She has the right and ability to speak for herself. My responses are meant to defend my marriage! Does having both sides to the story not help you get a wholistic picture and thus give more educated advice? Annointed invited my to read her threads and post. Am I breaking an unwritten rule- possibly written but I sure haven't read it- by posting on this thread? I assume it would be easier for people to offer assistance to us if we are on the same thread, sharing the same stories.
I can see that you are asking us to stop taking sides based on a partial view of the events in your marriage. I agree that posters taking sides can set one spouse against the other, and can exacerbate the sense of war within the marriage. What we should all be trying to achieve is for the couple to work with each other on the marriage, not fight each other.

I think that since you feel that the advice you are getting here is advising your wife to do harm to your relationship, you should try to get advice directly from Dr Harley. He will give you free advice on the radio show, and follow up that advice with you in private, via email, for free. I know that your wife has done this, but without your cooperation and input it probably still feels to you as if you were unfairly demonised to him.

If you feel that a one-sided picture has been painted and responded to, then you must see that the best scenario is for you to jointly work with Dr Harley. Do not allow either one of you to get your story in first, as this results in the other spouse feeling hard done by, and becoming defensive. Make an agreement to work together on MB for the good of your marriage. You are not each other's enemy. Put down your weapons and agree to cooperate in asking for Dr Harley's help.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
Are both of you enthusiastic about having another child when y'all seem to be unsure about finances.
They're having it, kt. She's at least 20 weeks pregnant.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: SugarCane

My last point was an attempt to close this discussion on Anointed's thread and let her take up the reigns of her own thread again. I hope others will see my point and let this happen now.

Thanks everyone for your input on Ship's ENs. I didn't respond because I honestly didn't know what to say about it.
Thank you, Annointed, for putting the conversation back on the right path.
I listed MY needs. I guess I wasn't aware that I was supposed to automatically eliminate/weight some of them because I was male or because I had an affair a decade ago, etc....
There were reasons for my rankings; feel free to ask me directly if you have any questions about my intentions, feelings, or beliefs. I'll be the only one able to give you the right answer.
H&O- After reading her posts, I realized that she had been and was hiding a lot from me. Learning from my own mistakes, I understand how important radical honesty truly is for a strong marriage.
SF- I like sex. It feels good and it helps me feel more attached to my wife on multiple plains. She began keeping track of how often we have sex to get a better idea of my SF - despite a previous post of hers stating we have sex twice a week, the calendar shows we've only averaged .69 (irony, right?!?!) times per week since February.
FS- Although I am the bread winner, I still want to feel supported. She manages the bills and I often find out about her internet orders and shopping while I'm away at work as an after thought with seemingly little regard for our conversations about the budget. Since I ranked my needs, she is now more transparent. However, she was very insistent that we repaint two rooms and furnish one with new furniture last week. I desire support in our finances! I said as much on the questionnaire.
Admiration- I like to be admired.
FC- Regardless of the time of day, I can walk in the door and my wife is on FB, MB, shopping, or watching TV on the ipad or computer. In the evening when I come home, she usually retreats to the bedroom alone and does those things for hours. I need us both to be on the same page, engaging one another and the kids. I personally desire to be more engaged with my kids.

Wow. A lot happened last night.

Actually, it seems Ship stayed up all night reading and posting. I woke up at 4am and he wasn't in bed.

I had gone to bed without telling him around 10:30pm. That was a mistake and easily misread. I was just tired and went to bed after repeatedly falling asleep in my chair.

I came in the office and he was making all of these posts apparently. I'm very glad he is being completely honest with how we are doing. I now have hope that we might actually be able to get somewhere.

I noticed last night that he lets his Giver go on and on until he snaps. That is what I do as well.

That will no longer work.

I've already admitted my struggles in the SF area and O&H. I didn't realize he was feeling disrespected in the FS area. I have not shopped without talking to him about anything (except for one thing now that I did out of utter frustration concerning the dog's ear medicine. I did talk with him about purchasing but we didn't come to a conclusion. When I saw my dog rolling around pawing at her ears AGAIN the other morning, I just hit purchase. Not wise, I know) Other than that, I have been asking him how he feels about each thing we need to purchase and HE is not being honest with ME.

The furniture we purchased was POJA'ed I thought, but truly he was just sacrificing so I'd drop it. I am determined, but I am also very concerned that he is pleased with our decision. He left out the part about when we got to the store he became obviously bothered about making the purchase. I started to tell him it wasn't fair to change his mind after we'd traveled so far to get there, but then I said you can change your mind. Let's go. I do not want to do this without your enthusiastic consent. I meant it.

Yes I would have been upset because it was important to me to finish that room (after 4 years of mess up there), but I'm also now upset that he looks at that furniture and sees it as just another thing that he "gave in to." That is so unfair to me! I was asking him to be honest so we can come up with some sort of solution, and he just did what I wanted to basically shut me up. That makes me sad.

FC-yes, I hide. I struggle interacting with the family anyway because I like to be alone, but it's obviously important to me that my family's needs are met. I hide because it's easier than fighting, and it's easier than saying how I feel and being ignored.

Last edited by Anointed; 08/19/12 10:52 AM.

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
K
K
Z, please stop. You also took over her thread bashing and verbally attacking her husband knowing he was reading the thread. His response were towards you. He needs to stay off her thread but your continued dissing of him is not helping.

Agreed. Z, I know you think you're standing up for Annointed, but it is NOT helping. You don't have the experience and perspective of an MB Vet and your own current situation is undermining your credibility.

Annointed and Ship need to go higher up the MB food chain, like Sugar Cane suggested. Frankly, it might be wise for both of them to let their threads fade for the moment...IF they seek that assistance.

A
OP Offline
A
I'm not necessarily happy at work and I'm trying to make changes, although they don't appear to be quick or impactful enough to please my wife considering the lambasting that I received just the other day.
Do you believe that my finding another job should be POJA'd? What about her NOT working- POJA?

I know he is not happy. I'm an action oriented type of girl. He moves slower and processes things. I'm growing agitated at the length of time that has passed since he told me that if I had our DD3 I could stay home. He made that statement knowing we'd have to figure something out to make that happen. Nothing got figured out. I had to go back to work for over 2 years (from home yes, easy...no.) I was very frustrated with the situation and yet after all the times I told him I was upset after our agreement I rarely saw him looking for jobs. That was very hurtful to me.

I'm sad that he felt "lambasted" on Friday night. I did not raise my voice once. I don't even think I had that angry sound to my voice. I'd have to ask Ship. I was just frustrated and told him so. I get the feeling that complaints are not welcomed.

When I woke up at 4am to see why he wasn't in bed, he mentioned about POJAing me working and that really hurt. We had discussed before even trying to conceive that I didn't feel comfortable having another baby if I was working. I wouldn't even begin trying this time until I quit my job. He agreed for me to quit but obviously now is still looking to me to alleviate the financial pressures.

I am 6 months pregnant.

Yes, him finding another job should be POJA'ed. He becomes very defensive when I bring it up. And I do bring it up nicely and respectfully at first. He doesn't want to hear it.

I do not feel heard.

Last edited by Anointed; 08/19/12 10:54 AM.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
he just tells me that I know this is how they are, so am I just going to love them anyway (when she is hurt by his family�s actions)- This is me simply stating a MB truth that you can't change people

Yes, but it is also dismissive of how your family made me feel. I'm not going to try to change them, but I do get to say what I am okay with and what I am not okay with.

-�when we got in bed he asked for SF. I said that I wasn't feeling very close to him... He said that I basically just said "no." I explained that it was similar to the part in Lovebusters where the wife felt "raped�"I told him that I felt used sometimes when my needs aren't being met. He took great offense to that�-She hurt my feelings

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Please read some of those article markos posted to you regarding SF. I really want our sex life to be good. I need you to understand where I am coming from.

-He then said that it doesn't make any sense to do that since I never have my phone on me anyway.-Not everything that makes sense to everyone else makes sense to me; MB states that I'm entitled to my own opinion

It is a DJ. You can tell me how you feel without telling me how to behave or how to feel.

-He said with a smirk, "How are you going to make chili?" When I explained he said, "that is not my idea of chili." I asked him how he'd like me to do lunch, and he said never mind because he's �not allowed to have an opinion.�-I'm sharing the way I feel about discussing the way I feel

The way I expressed this was a DJ. I'm sorry about that. I did not hear your complaint properly.

-He says I am much worse about AO than he is.-I still believe that and I believe she has admitted as much in her own posts. She is better now but still has AO towards both me and the kids. Kettle, I was just implying the kettle/pot thing

I would like it if you would work on completely eliminating your own AOs. And I will do the same.

-I asked him if he could ask about me during our conversation, and he said, "What are you?"-That was a joke. She asked (demanded really since she wouldn't take no for an answer)that I ask her a question about her.

This is hurtful to me. I did in no way demand that you ask about me. I asked if you would ask about me. My response was pouty when you obviously did not do so. I guess that could have made it demanding. I'm sorry. Please be intimate with me. When we were dating you couldn't ask me enough questions.

-He looked in the fridge and saw that some produce had started to go bad, and he was upset about it. (wasteful)-the food was not used and went to waste, I was pointing out a fact. The waste is a LB for me. He said, "How many times did you eat out?" Twice. He got really upset and said something like, it's stuff like that that just eats our finances up. He then said something like, "You are on your way to going back to work."-budget comes into play in a lot of our conversations. The numbers don't lie and the truth is that if we don't watch the spending she will need to go back to work. That possibility upsets her.

This is a SD and very disrespectful. I would appreciate it if you would tell me how you are feeling about something and then discuss ways with me that we can come to a solution. You came across like a parental figure to me, like I was "in trouble." I did not like it at all.

Since she gets to define anything I say as an AO, DJ, etc, I will not say anything about those.[/color]

Last edited by Anointed; 08/19/12 10:19 AM.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Anointed, I think you and your husband are severely lacking in POJA agreements. He wasn't enthusiastic about the furniture, he doesn't seem enthusiastic about how much you spend on hair cuts, and he doesn't seem enthusiastic about finding another job.

You might also examine your tone of voice and the way you display your displeasure. He feels disrespected and insulted about the movie ordeal, the haircuts, and the lawn mowing. All spending should be POJA. There is an indication that you spend without consulting your spouse first.

Thanks KT. Yes we are completely lacking in POJA. We have both been sacrificing without realizing it I think.

I knew he wasn't enthusiastic about the furniture, but I thought we had POJA'ed it. I had been working on extra projects to bring in more $$ and I had asked if I brought in (such and such) amount, would you be okay with it. He agreed. He was not honest with me. When we got there, it became clear he didn't want to make the purchases and I basically demanded we leave. He demanded we make the purchase. How is that fair to me?

He has never mentioned to me that he'd like for me to look at using a different hairdresser. I am going somewhere closer by and cheaper this coming week.

I don't know why he is not enthusiastic about finding another job. He complains about it all the time. And I tried to explain that this affects me. His working overtime and not being paid for it feels like stealing. I hate it. His being unhappy makes me feel unhappy. And the fact that he would stay in a place that does not recognize his hard work and just how talented he is hurts me more than I can express.

Yes, I will watch my tone. I'm very committed to becoming the best wife and mom I can be. I want all the rules to apply to both of us.

I am very happy to have another child. The finances are an issue and one that I thought was now POJA'ed. I guess not.

He agreed a 2nd time that I could stay home. I waited for action (me quitting) to actually try to conceive. Now, he has not done what is necessary to support what he so emphatically asked from me. He REALLY wanted another child. A BOY. And he wanted one NOW because he felt time was slipping away. But now that I've done my part, I am feeling yet again slighted by his not making a job change somehow, some way.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by SugarCane
I can see that you are asking us to stop taking sides based on a partial view of the events in your marriage. I agree that posters taking sides can set one spouse against the other, and can exacerbate the sense of war within the marriage. What we should all be trying to achieve is for the couple to work with each other on the marriage, not fight each other.

I think that since you feel that the advice you are getting here is advising your wife to do harm to your relationship, you should try to get advice directly from Dr Harley. He will give you free advice on the radio show, and follow up that advice with you in private, via email, for free. I know that your wife has done this, but without your cooperation and input it probably still feels to you as if you were unfairly demonised to him.

If you feel that a one-sided picture has been painted and responded to, then you must see that the best scenario is for you to jointly work with Dr Harley. Do not allow either one of you to get your story in first, as this results in the other spouse feeling hard done by, and becoming defensive. Make an agreement to work together on MB for the good of your marriage. You are not each other's enemy. Put down your weapons and agree to cooperate in asking for Dr Harley's help.

Yes, and amen.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
I'd also like to note that I read through all the posts and made all my posts in less than 45 minutes. I am a fast typist and a fast reader.

Ship is not.

He takes things in slowly, he puts them out slowly. It is something I admire. It is also something that makes posting on this forum a challenge for him.

That is why he stayed up all night.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by kerala

Agreed. Z, I know you think you're standing up for Annointed, but it is NOT helping. You don't have the experience and perspective of an MB Vet and your own current situation is undermining your credibility.

Annointed and Ship need to go higher up the MB food chain, like Sugar Cane suggested. Frankly, it might be wise for both of them to let their threads fade for the moment...IF they seek that assistance.

Oops...didn't see this somehow. I'm okay to keep posting. I hope Ship is. He was very upset last night. He started to show his frustration, but then he settled down and we talked calmly.

I hope he could hear my heart. I care very much that he is heard. I care very much that he is happy.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
Page 33 of 62 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 61 62

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 543 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation