Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
mrkie Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Wife & I had our 20th anniversary in June, no previous marriages, 4 beautiful kids age 8-15 (boy, girl, boy, girl) - a perfect family, but our marriage seemed to lack love this year - just routine.

Through summer I was getting disturbed with her 4-6 hour "shopping" outings alone, especially on weekends when I finally was home to spend time with her. Sexual fulfillment was diminishing. In a blow-up 2.5 weeks ago, I said maybe she shouldn't have married me & she agreed - wow, I expected a denial and patch-up. She said she needs time to sort out her thinking, and I thought she was just stressed again and needed some relief from kids, me & hectic schedules. Tried to talk a few times since then, but she was reluctant to open up.

Last night she presented me with a letter revealing an adulterous relationship, how horrible she feels, how she doesn't deserve to stay, and admitted to having sex with him. I spent the evening sobbing and pleading with her to end it and we would fix our marriage, but she says she's not sure she wants to end it.

I've been in shock, not much sleep, waking up several times with gut-wrenching pain and visual images of the love I was missing from her was being freely given to a stranger she met a few months back.

I called in sick today, In between emotional breakdowns I read all parts to Coping With Infidelity. She doesn't want to hurt the guy in ending all contact, but I said how can you weigh that against the hurt you will cause to everyone that loves you once this is exposed? I said at this point it's only me that knows, so she can end it all now and nobody else would ever know, but she's asking for more time, but I said I can't keep quiet forever - I need to talk to someone for support.

I know she's hurting too because she's caught in the middle of 2 loves and doesn't know which way to go.

What to do - wait & see? Expose? I don't feel angry like I would expose out of vengeance, I just feel crushed and weep looking around the home at reminders of past better days.

Married 20Years
4 Kids
M
M
mrkie, welcome to Marriage Builders. I'm so sorry your circumstances have brought you here, but you're at the right place.

Your first order of business is to kill the affair. Who is this hound dog? Do they work together? Is he married?

How are they communicating? Cell phone? You need to slap some spyware on your WW's cell phone (without her knowledge!)Computer? Get a keylogger on there. We have good resources that can help you order these things. Do they communicate on Facebook?

Have you spoken with OM and told him that his life will be a miserable HELL if he continues his nasty activities with YOUR WIFE?

Do not tell your WW (wayward wife) about this site. This is your resource for killing the affair.

You can save your marriage - listen carefully to the advice you will be given.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

B
B
Originally Posted by mrkie
Wife & I had our 20th anniversary in June, no previous marriages, 4 beautiful kids age 8-15 (boy, girl, boy, girl) - a perfect family, but our marriage seemed to lack love this year - just routine.

Through summer I was getting disturbed with her 4-6 hour "shopping" outings alone, especially on weekends when I finally was home to spend time with her. Sexual fulfillment was diminishing. In a blow-up 2.5 weeks ago, I said maybe she shouldn't have married me & she agreed - wow, I expected a denial and patch-up. She said she needs time to sort out her thinking, and I thought she was just stressed again and needed some relief from kids, me & hectic schedules. Tried to talk a few times since then, but she was reluctant to open up.

Last night she presented me with a letter revealing an adulterous relationship, how horrible she feels, how she doesn't deserve to stay, and admitted to having sex with him. I spent the evening sobbing and pleading with her to end it and we would fix our marriage, but she says she's not sure she wants to end it.

I've been in shock, not much sleep, waking up several times with gut-wrenching pain and visual images of the love I was missing from her was being freely given to a stranger she met a few months back.

I called in sick today, In between emotional breakdowns I read all parts to Coping With Infidelity. She doesn't want to hurt the guy in ending all contact, but I said how can you weigh that against the hurt you will cause to everyone that loves you once this is exposed? I said at this point it's only me that knows, so she can end it all now and nobody else would ever know, but she's asking for more time, but I said I can't keep quiet forever - I need to talk to someone for support.

I know she's hurting too because she's caught in the middle of 2 loves and doesn't know which way to go.

What to do - wait & see? Expose? I don't feel angry like I would expose out of vengeance, I just feel crushed and weep looking around the home at reminders of past better days.

After you answer Maritalbliss's questions please read these.
Exposure 101
Carrot and Stick of Plan A
Thread to help newly betrayed spouses

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

K
K
Instinctively people don't expose because they don't want to upset their spouse when things are already on thin ice. But your only hope is full exposure, because the A can't survive in the light of day in truth. Please do the reading and then come back here, there will be vets on here to walk you through how to handle this. If you follow the plan you have a very high chance of recovering your M.

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
M
M

First you should calm down. We can help you save your marriage if you can put aside your emotions [no easy feat!] and follow a plan.

And no, you can't wait and see. The longer you wait to act, the less likely you are to save your marriage. Your marriage is in trouble and it is time to act if you are serious about saving it.

What you should do - immediately - is expose the affair wide and far in a strategic, methodical way. Go to the OM's facebook page, copy and paste all his contacts into a WORD doc for safekeeping. Do this first.

Then go to the link in my signature and carefully read the exposure thread. It will give you a strategy along with templates. If you can follow those instructions, you have a chance to save your marriage. Affairs thrive on secrecy so exposure is your most powerful weapon against the affair.

Come back here and lets discuss!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Expose, Expose, Expose....

You can only save this marriage by killing the affair first. NOTHING else you say or do will make a bit of difference until the fantasy-world of the affair is brought into reality. NOTHING.

Believe me..I know, as do many others here.

You have a lot of material to read that others have expertly provided you with. I just wanted to added support. You are not alone.

My story is proof that exposure works. Before I did it, nothing swayed my husband. The desire to not tell anyone is because you are fearful that she will bolt and for her, that she can't continue cake-eating if it gets out in the open.

The longer the cake-eating, the harder it is to save your marriage. Yes, she will be angry, but that's par for the course here. Kill the affair and whatever you do - don't warn her anymore about your telling others. When you do it you do it without warning.

You will need to prepare yourself for all kinds of awfulness that she might say to you after you expose; you need to know that NONE of it matters. In my case, I heard all kinds of horrible things! But here we are - it will be 3 months in November since we reconciled and we are happier than we have ever been!

Also, in my situation, my children did an excellent job of holding my H accountable for his actions. (They were 14, 16, and 18 at them time.)

You are in for a fight so you're going to have to put aside those emotions, like Mel said. The good news here is that your wife already confessed. At least you don't have the problem of having to come up with evidence. You will just need to expose first so that your wife isn't able to spin a tall tale before you get the chance.

Exposure is actually a very loving act and it's hard to see that when you're emotional. It's not about revenge. It's about cracking through to someone who is engaging in a terrible thing - infidelity. It's about doing what must be done to save your family; to save those precious children from a broken home!

The other good news here is that your wife has made the statement that she is torn, which means you're still in the running. Let that give you strength to do what might go against what "feels right" versus what you need to do.

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

N
N
Well, dude, I'm sorry you're here, but you've already heard from some experts in busting up affairs and giving your marriage a chance.

Here is the recipe you should follow immediately:

NG'S HANDBOOK FOR BETRAYED HUSBANDS

1- KEEP ALL THESE ARRANGEMENTS SECRET FROM YOUR WAYWARD WIFE!
2 � Put a keylogger on any computer you can access that she might use.
3 � Put a spy program on any cell that she might use. (�Eblaster� can cover #4 as well.)
4 � Put a GPS on her car, reporting to your computer.
5 � Put a VAR in her car, and in any room she might use to take �personal� calls
6 � Get a mini-audio-recorder, and have it in your possession and �on� whenever in her presence.
7 � Put together an e-address list of anyone who might have influence on her � parents, siblings (sisters, especially), coworkers, college friends, clergy, hairdresser, anyone.
8 � Put together a similar list for the POSOM.
WHEN YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE,
9 � Put together the electronic evidence for each AP.
10 - Write a cover note for your wife�s contacts, to the tune of: �I must unhappily inform you that my wife, XXXXXX, is carrying on an illicit affair with YYYYYY. I am hoping to recover our marriage, and ask if you have any influence over her, to urge her to abandon her cheating lifestyle and return to me and our family. Her cell number is 111-222-3333�
11 � Write a similar note to POSOM�s contacts.
12 � Send out both packages, to all contacts at one time.
13 � Brace yourself.

You didn't say, but I'm inferring that she's bouncing around with a co-worker. If so, publicizing this at work will be mandatory.

G
G
Mrkie, first you need to understand the nature of affairs. They're addictions, right down to the brain-chemistry impact. Therefore, trying to reason with her at this point is futile. It's like trying to reason with a heroin junkie or crack-addict.

You can't begin to reason until she's a reasonable person again. That can only happen after the affair is broken up.

This will require, first of all, that you expose the affair, massively, and without warning. The letter she gave you, in her own hand, is evidence enough. You need to share it with family members, with as many of the other man's family members and friends as you can identify, and yes, sir, with your children -- basically, anyone whose opinions & esteem the affairees value.

The purpose of exposure isn't vengeance, my friend -- if you think that, then you misunderstand. The purpose of exposure is to put strain on the affair-relationship by making the affairees realize that the relationship will cost them things they hold dear.

Exposure -- without warning -- is the best weapon in your arsenal if you want to have a snowball's chance in hell of restoring your marriage. Don't threaten to expose, don't use exposure as a bargaining chip in trying to negotiate with a person who is presently unreasonable (and who therefore cannot be a reliable negotiating partner) -- just do it. It is the surprise, the shock-value, of exposure that is among its best attributes. It brings down upon affairees the fact that they are no longer in control of events.

When your wife's parents look at her and think, "How could she do that?" -- when OM's work colleagues give him sidelong glances that let him know that they know what a cad he is -- that's when costs start to hit home. When your 15 year-old looks at Mom a whole new way -- that's when costs will start to hit home.

Don't threaten OM with anything specific -- you don't want to get the police after you. Just make sure he knows, in general terms, that if he doesn't stay out of your wife's life, you won't kill him, but will make his life such a living hell that he might wish you had. Get him sleeping with one eye open. That puts stress on an affair, and might make him realize that your ol' lady is, for him, just more trouble than she's worth.

Oh, and: For Pete's sake, cut out the weeping, crying, begging crap. Never do that again. It makes you look wimpy & weak in her eyes, in contrast to the confident affair-partner. YOU need to take on that confidence. When you speak to your wife, speak with a determined, confident smile. (Even if you're dying inside.) As of now, you are Mrkie, good-guy, good dad, suave husband, bon vivant & Affair-Buster-in-Chief. Assume that persona & live it. You call the shots now. Starting with massive exposure. Read MelodyLane's "Exposure 101" link and NeverGuessed's advice to you & act on it.

Guess what, Mrkie? I was a guy who had an affair. With a married woman. It's something I'll regret for the rest of my life, but I didn't regret it enough, until I got my head straight. And what allowed me to start getting my head straight was, the other woman's husband busted her, via a Private Investigator. He had evidence. That, as far as I was concerned, meant the jig was up. It meant I was under imminent risk of having the affair exposed. That's when I came clean to my wife, and that's when I told the other woman that it needed to end, and started leaving her the hell alone. It sucked at the time, but that was the day my life was saved from a downward spiral into a hell-who-knows-how-deep-&-lasting.

In other words, basically, the light of day is what killed my affair. Affairs thrive in secrecy & darkness. Exposure isn't vengeance. It's merely bringing daylight to the darkness. (Heck, if this relationshp of theirs is so right & beautiful, why wouldn't they want EVERYONE to know?! Answer: Because they know, deep down, that it ain't so right & beautiful.) Exposure is doing your wife a favor, even though she won't realize it right away, and may not realize it for a while or ever. Maybe she won't realize it until it's too late -- there are no guarantees that this will save your marriage -- but it is your last, best chance.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
M
mrkie Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you all for your consistent replies and support! I'm about to go read the additional links provided, but will share that this is not a co-worker. This is an unmarried teacher in his late 20's or early 30's at one of the schools where my kids go, where he was the tennis coach, and it all spawned from when she went to the practices. I'm already checking into the school district ethics/code of conduct material to see if I can add some weight to my note to him...

Married 20Years
4 Kids
N
N
Your note to him is not the issue. ("I understand you're boning my wife. Please stop!") Your note to the principal, the school board president, the director of athletics, the teacher union president, and whatever parent/teacher group is extant in your situation, and (if you have one) your friend the local reporter, will be the hammer you want to bring down! Recklessness right now will be a virtue, so after retaining him, copy the nastiest, most tenacious lawyer in town as your counsel in pursuing remedy from their lack of oversight and control over their employee. Rather than YOU deciding how the moral behavior clause might apply, get THEM wetting themselves to find out how THEY can use it to discard this liability!

THAT'S what we mean by radical and nuclear exposure!

M
M

mrkie,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I know it all to well. (I am about three months past DDay of a very long term affair by my wife). The words I bolded above capture so well how I too feel.

You will get great advice here. Do not suggest to her in any way that that you are even remotely considering exposure.

It is highly unlikely she will end it properly without you taking the lead.

For what it is worth, I think your wife has true remorse and her telling you is almost amazing. I think they usually never come some clean without being pushed. My thought is she may not be conscious of it, but she told you because she wants your help to end it. Keep your cool and expose.

I know what you are experiencing is incredibly hard, but for the sake of your kids, yourself, and your wife, stop sobbing, do not plead or beg, step up and be the best man you can be. (I know its easier said then done, and I shed a couple of tears in front of my wife during this ordeal, but overall i have been stronger than I ever could have imagined. At times of weakness I think of my kids and how, even if the worst happens and we end it div., I want to be able to look them in the eye five or ten years from know and say I tried, worked, and fought as hard as I could to save our family and their mother. I am sure you will want to do the same.)

Get your sleep and take care of yourself, form a plan, and execute. Do it better than I did.

F
F
Exposure is not a deal breaker it is a marriage saver! I can't give you any advice better than what you are getting. All I can tell you is I probably would not have ended my affair as quickly as I did if my Husband would not have exposed it right away.

He exposed it far and wide less than 20 minutes after he found out. This not only shocked me into the reality of what I was doing but it ended the excitement of the entire affair...the secrecy behind it.

Your wife is definitely crying out to you to find a way to make it stop. She may not show it right after you have exposed but hopefully she will thank you one day.

Stay strong and keep reading...you are in the best place you can be on this forum.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
I don't want to just survive my affair, I want to recover from it!
G
G
Thank you all for your consistent replies and support! I'm about to go read the additional links provided, but will share that this is not a co-worker. This is an unmarried teacher in his late 20's or early 30's at one of the schools where my kids go, where he was the tennis coach, and it all spawned from when she went to the practices. I'm already checking into the school district ethics/code of conduct material to see if I can add some weight to my note to him...
Note to him? You mean to the other man? What possible purpose would that serve? Don't you think he already knows that he's having an affair with your wife??? That's not exposure! Exposure means telling OTHER people about the affair.

Do NOT send the other man a letter at this time! Instead, you should (with absolutely no warning to your wife or to the other man) be sending letters with evidence of the affair to each member of the School Board, the Superintendent, and the school district's attorney/ solicitor/ general counsel, with cc's to all the others on each letter to each of them, so that no individual recipient of your letter will feel comfortable sweeping it under the carpet.

It doesn't matter if there's a code of conduct. Fact is, if words hits the street that one of the teachers is boinking the married parent of a student, that teacher is a HUGE walking, talking financial liability for the school. Get this bum fired, get his name in the papers and make him unemployable in his profession, and chances are, he won't look so hot to your wife, and their affair will come under a huge amount of stress. That's exactly the outcome that you want.

Dude, the fact that he's a teacher at your kids' school is a tremendous GIFT to you, if you're willing to use it! BUT YOU'VE GOTTA PAY ATTENTION TO THE ADVICE HERE AND QUIT TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT ON YOUR OWN. Your own instincts here are leading you to make mistakes that will seriously shrink your chance of saving your marriage. READ about exposure until you understand it, and if there are things you don't understand, for God's sake, ask questions before you go off half-cocked and mess up your odds.

MBers, please help get this BS' attention -- he needs to slow down and actually read the advice & links he's getting.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
M
M
Okay - here's your starting point. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This guy is entrusted with the safety of children while he is destroying marriages??? faint You need to inform the superintendent and principal. Let them know that one of their employees is severely breaching his role as protector and mentor of children by screwing one of his pupils' mother.

Last edited by maritalbliss; 08/24/12 07:01 PM.

D-Day 2-10-2009

H
H
mrkie,

I want to second what 15year stated. My W has thanked me for exposing, stating that it SAVED HER. WS'sare caught in an adiiction, and often can't/don't know how to disentangle themselves from the tragic mess.

Be a hero, expose, and save our wife!

And, GloveOil is spot on -- I exposed to OMs family, but what really caught his attention was exposing to his general contractor (who did NOT want to jeopardize million-dollar contracts), hospital director of operations, and union hall. OM was fired within an hour of exposure letters being received.

That was only the first shot across his bow...as Marital syas alot - OMs are cowards, weasels, and can be run off. Just so you know, my W will state from time to time that she is aware and grateful for who fought for her, and who did not.

Being an educator myself, I know you have a powerful tool I wish I had: one letter to a principal/superintendent and this OM is toast.

Get to exposing (but don't tell anyone your plans -- just prepare and execute the plan).

EXPOSE!

G
G
Originally Posted by helpfordad
...Being an educator myself, I know you have a powerful tool I wish I had: one letter to a principal/superintendent with multiple copies to the Board, and this OM is toast.

Get to exposing (but don't tell anyone your plans -- just prepare and execute the plan).

EXPOSE!
Just to be clear.

H
H
GloveOil,

VERY good call...CC exposure letters to the principal, the supe, asst. supe, ANY member of the district's administrative team, and each member of the school board separately.

(thanks for chiming in, and thanks for all your continued guidance, GO).

M
M
GloveOil,

VERY good call...CC exposure letters to the principal, the supe, asst. supe, ANY member of the district's administrative team, and each member of the school board separately.

(thanks for chiming in, and thanks for all your continued guidance, GO).
t/j - Hi Dad! I haven't seen you on here for a while. Good to hear from you! I hope everything is going well for you and Mrs. Dad.
end t/j

D-Day 2-10-2009

H
H
MB,

I'll post over on my own thread soon with an update...

M
M
MB,

I'll post over on my own thread soon with an update...
Looking forward to it. smile

D-Day 2-10-2009

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 731 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation