Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 62 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 61 62
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Anointed, honey, you can do this. Maybe pack a back-up snack in your purse or something. Maybe you don't need to push yourself as hard as you do, only you can determine that. The all or nothing thinking is a temporary side effect of the state of conflict and will hopefully recede as you two get closer. As you said, you sound tired, maybe take a day off, recharge?

Thanks NED. Yes, I need to recharge. I am overwhelmed by so many things right now...mostly $$. I'm trying to let go and do my part. Then let God do what He does.

I'm just tired.

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by CWMI
I don't know if this will help you, but it's okay to say no to his family visiting your home. It's POJA; if you're not enthusiastic about it, you can say no and negotiate something else. We had pretty big inlaw issues, and have negotiated that my FIL is not allowed to stay here and we will not stay at his home. We are not cut off completely (my H would not be enthusiastic about that), but when we visit, we stay in a hotel so that when (not if, sadly) things start going poorly, we can leave. FIL hasn't come here for seven years! My H speaks with him once a week on the phone, but I speak to him only a few times a year, mainly to say, "Hi, here's Mr. CWMI," while I hand over the phone.

I don't care to improve the relationship with him, and I don't care for my children to have a relationship with him either because I find him to be physically and emotionally dangerous to us. I think he is emotionally dangerous to my H, too, but he isn't enthusiastic about cutting contact, so I don't push it, although I do encourage him to clear up the issues since his father is in his 70s and not in the best health. He's not enthusiastic about that, either, but I suppose I'm up to the challenge of dealing with H's unresolved issues after his father passes. I already did it about his mother.

Since you guys are church people, maybe you could influence a bible study about cleaving to your wife? And what it really means to honor your parents?

It seems very strange to me that he would get angry at his pregnant wife, in church, for wanting to gain admission to the room where he was expecting you. He would rather disturb you than the woman sitting next to him? That doesn't make sense, emotionally or logically. Next time, bang on the door. smile Especially effective if the "people you disturbed" have to get up to let in the pregnant wife he was ignoring via text. They'll be disturbed in a whole new way. Not by you. By him.

Yes, I agree that until we can come to an agreement I do not feel comfortable with my in-laws staying here. Just yesterday I had a conversation with MIL where she was telling me to "be sure to this..." and "you don't want to do that..." I believe she doesn't know she is being demanding. I'm sure she is just trying to help.

But it annoys me. She talks to me about parenting my children as if she knows what it's like to parent my kids. My kids are challenging in their own ways...not all children are the same. Plus, I don't agree with her parenting style. I've just now started telling her how I disagree, and it always makes me feel confrontational (even though I'm nice about it.) Confrontation wears me out. I hate it.

I really only have major issues with Ship's mother and 2 sisters. His father can be challenging at times, but it's mainly the women. I feel ganged up by them when I don't want to do something.

If we don't come to some sort of POJA on this soon, I'd be okay with rarely seeing them...just to stop the drama on my end. I don't think his mom and sisters feel there are any problems, but I don't know.

Last edited by Anointed; 09/12/12 11:57 AM.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
It seems very strange to me that he would get angry at his pregnant wife, in church, for wanting to gain admission to the room where he was expecting you. He would rather disturb you than the woman sitting next to him? That doesn't make sense, emotionally or logically. Next time, bang on the door. Especially effective if the "people you disturbed" have to get up to let in the pregnant wife he was ignoring via text. They'll be disturbed in a whole new way. Not by you. By him.

Oh, and to this part I did finally text the only other person I had a # for....the leader! I waited 10 minutes to do that bc it really would disturb the class, but right when I pressed send, Ship had asked someone to open the door.

I was really embarrassed.

I thought MB was about learning to love your spouse first and honor them?

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Anointed, I was wondering about that, too. It's important to halve withdrawals when you can. What do you think about just knocking on the door so someone else can let you in if your H isn't enthusiastic about opening the door himself? Then it's a much smaller withdrawal, that you didn't like how he responded to the text message, than feeling like you were left outside over 7 minutes.

I really did think about doing this, but I don't like feeling like a bull-headed individual. I wasn't sure, honestly, how Ship would respond. In the past, he has been very vocal about how I should have done something different and thought about others first.

He called me rude for texting him several times. I can't imagine how he would've responded if I knocked on the door...to be fair, it is a Bible study, and Ship said he was trying not to hinder the Holy Spirit's moving.

It certainly affected my mood once I finally got in...the Holy Spirit was not free to work on me. I was too angry and disappointed!

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
He just proved my point. He walked in and asked if I was "still stewing on this." Why yes, yes I am!

I explained how I felt disrespected and dishonored. He said sorry you felt that way but he did what he thought was right in the moment.

He also said just now that even though he raised his voice at me that I deserved it because I'm in the wrong. He said that when I came it was right at what would be considered an "alter call" and he felt it was the right thing to do spiritually by not getting up and stepping over everyone. He didn't know when it would end.

He said "it wasn't raining, it didn't kill you to stand outside and wait."

I said it did in a way. It hurt me. He said sorry it hurt you but I did what I thought was right.

I told him that if he'd been a little more descriptive that I would have known what to do. Just a "No" made me wonder if he was just joking, that he'd be here in a second. (I could literally see the entrance to the room they were in from the front door.)

He basically just walked out just now.

I am judged. He says I am judging him, too.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
Stupid may not be the best word choice, but why isn't he allowed to think something is stupid?

Seems you want it both ways. Free to have your opinion, but he's not allowed to disagree.

So while I don't agree with his word choice, I believe it is a move in the right direction, and points out that you seem to want him to conform to your world view, instead of allowing him to have his own views.

For instance, I think most of the programming on the Bravo network is stupid, (actually vapid and inane.) My wife likes it. I am free to share my opinion, she is free to agree or disagree.

I usually just leave the room when it's on.

Problem solved.

Maybe I just don't understand DJs, but calling anything "stupid" (even if just your opinion) is a DJ, no?

He is free to feel differently, and I'm very enthusiastic about making Ship happy. I like to accommodate him, but not at my own cost. I'm learning not to put my feelings aside.

I've told Ship that a DJ is basically anything that is stated as fact that could be debated. If it isn't black and white, I don't want Ship forcing his opinion on me as fact.

Example:

A guy pulls over in front of us and puts us in danger.

Ship might say, "What a complete idiot! I wish I had a machine gun to take his stupidity off the planet." (yes, he has said things like this many, many times.)

The FACT of the matter is Ship was very upset with that man's driving, and he wants justice.

2 totally different things.

Let me know if I am misunderstanding DJs.

Ship cannot make me feel safe to express my opinions if I know he freely judges me and feels justified in doing so.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
K
K
I don't think calling ANYTHING "stupid" is a DJ, but calling your spouse's opinion "stupid" surely IS.

B
B
Excellent radio show on in-laws.
Radio clip on in-laws
Segment #2
Segment #3

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

E
E
**edit**

Last edited by Fireproof; 09/13/12 06:34 AM. Reason: TOS non-MB advice, harassing poster
E
E
**edit**

Last edited by Fireproof; 09/12/12 02:48 PM. Reason: TOS non MB advice
C
C
Her hurt caused by her husband refusing her entry to where he was DOES trump his embarrassment in front of anyone else. Why would a man be embarrassed to let his pregnant wife into a room anyway? I think he should be embarrassed not to. I don't care if you think that's judging, EE...the man should look out for his wife above all others, put her feelings above all others, even his own temporary embarrassment.

How resentful do you think he would be in the long run if he had just let his wife in?

How resentful do you think she is going to be in the long that he didn't?

That's the mark of marriage building. Not 'oh, he should be allowed to hurt you/block you/lock you out without you judging him for it. Because unless he is enthusiastic about opening a locked door for you AT YOUR CHURCH, he shouldn't have to.' Sorry, no. Maybe in the most pickiest of details, but if he wants to remain married, he ought to give greater consideration to opening ALL doors to Anointed, whenever asked.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
A
OP Offline
A
Yes, EE. I do understand his perspective, quite well actually.

This reminds me of a time when Ship and I were dating. I was on the phone with a friend of mine that was upset with me, and she was basically "correcting" me on a behavior. I was really wrapped up in the phone call and when Ship came in to ask me who it was, I didn't answer him. He kept asking, but again I was so wrapped up in what she was saying I didn't answer.

He left! I asked her to hold, followed him, and wanted to know why he was so mad at me. He said that he wanted me to ask her to hold and then answer his question.

Throughout our marriage, anytime I am on the phone talking with someone, if he has a question, he wants me to put them on hold, address his question and then discuss his question with the individual (doctor, contractor, family, etc.)

If I don't, he gets VERY angry with me.

I feel the situation with Ship not letting me in is exactly the same thing. Ship wants me to consider him first.

I wanted him to consider me first by at LEAST letting me know what is going on so I could make an informed decision (wait or go home).

Ship agrees with you whole-heartedly, EE.

However, it was still a withdrawal in my LB$ nonetheless.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Again, EE. He was free to not let me in if he felt he could not. He did not communicate with me in a way that I could understand what was going on.

I thought he was joking at first. Then I was just humiliated.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks BH! These are really good. And they worked on my home computer instead of my ipad! Woot!

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by CWMI
Her hurt caused by her husband refusing her entry to where he was DOES trump his embarrassment in front of anyone else. Why would a man be embarrassed to let his pregnant wife into a room anyway? I think he should be embarrassed not to. I don't care if you think that's judging, EE...the man should look out for his wife above all others, put her feelings above all others, even his own temporary embarrassment.

How resentful do you think he would be in the long run if he had just let his wife in?

How resentful do you think she is going to be in the long that he didn't?

That's the mark of marriage building. Not 'oh, he should be allowed to hurt you/block you/lock you out without you judging him for it. Because unless he is enthusiastic about opening a locked door for you AT YOUR CHURCH, he shouldn't have to.' Sorry, no. Maybe in the most pickiest of details, but if he wants to remain married, he ought to give greater consideration to opening ALL doors to Anointed, whenever asked.

Thanks CWMI. I don't think he HAD to let me in. I just wanted the consideration of being properly informed. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and then I got overwhelmed with embarassment.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
S
S
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
edit

I've never heard such distorted nonsense passing for Marriage Builders advice during all my time on this board.

Last edited by Fireproof; 09/12/12 02:51 PM. Reason: Removing quote

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
A
OP Offline
A
Whew SugarCane. I try to consider everything that is said to me wholeheartedly, but that is hard to swallow.

I care very much how Ship feels. Very much.

I want him to show me care as well.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
S
S
Originally Posted by Anointed
Again, EE. He was free to not let me in if he felt he could not. He did not communicate with me in a way that I could understand what was going on.

I thought he was joking at first. Then I was just humiliated.
I do know that in Dr Harley's vision of a marriage of "extraordinary care and protection" Dr Harley would never say that it was reasonable for your H to treat his pregnant wife that way. Dr Harley's concept of DJs has been twisted out of all recognition to make your H seem reasonable and you seem like a permanently dissatisfied, miserable shrew.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Originally Posted by Anointed
Whew SugarCane. I try to consider everything that is said to me wholeheartedly, but that is hard to swallow.
That particular distortion of MB concepts is not just "hard to swallow", it is wrong.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you, SugarCane. I just burst into tears at your post.

I go back and forth in my head so much trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong, and I'm wearing myself out!

MB has given me much needed tools to speak my mind, but it doesn't make things easier regarding Ship often "instructing" me on how to feel and behave.

So. Freakin. Tired.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
Page 35 of 62 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 61 62

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 479 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation