Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 62 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 61 62
S
S
Originally Posted by Anointed
Again, I feel like you rescued me from a very destructive path, so thank you.
It was motivated by what Dr H called "common empathy", Anointed! I was upset by how you were being advised on here.

I don't know if Dr H is keeping an eye on this thread, because he did ask you whether this kind of incident was isolated. I don't know if that means he'll look in again, but in case he doesn't why don't you email the radio show and remind him of his post here today, and answer him with the summary that you posted?

He really seems happy for people to write to him on the show and ask for free help, and he seems to continue working with some people (for free), so why don't you try that? This is a desperate situation and I can see that you want to give it your all, and not have to call it quits.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks SugarCane. I will see if he comes back. If not, I'll email him.

I am willing to do whatever is reasonable to save my marriage. I am not willing to do it all costs anymore. I love myself now.

Last edited by Anointed; 09/20/12 03:13 PM.

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
S
S
That's what I meant - that you'll give it your all for a period of time, but at some point you WILL call it quits. I can see from what you've said that you will not stay in your marriage in the state it's in, forever.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
D
D
I remember your call but did not associate it with your forum thread. Let your husband know that I'd be happy to hear his side of the story if he would email Joyce at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. I'd be willing to interact with him by email. Your description of events of the past fit what I would have expected of someone who wouldn't open the door for you at your Bible study. Isn't it interesting how something that apparently small can reflect a huge underlying problem? I'm not sure that your husband will be able to understand the value of thoughtfulness -- to consider how another person would be affected by what he does. That's why he can't see how the POJA can work.

A
OP Offline
A
Wow Dr Harley! What an offer! I will let him know.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
I tried to approach Ship this evening about some of the things Dr H said, and it turned into a fight. He didn't listen to what I was saying. He said I wasn't listening to what he is saying.

This is what he does... Me: "I told you I was upset earlier and now you are sitting here watching T.V. How is that going to change anything?" Ship: "Just because I'm not on MB does not mean that NOTHING is changing. Are you seriously going to say that?"

When I complained tonight he used words like NEVER & ALWAYS and brought just about everything I was saying to the extreme. I told him that our conversation would go nowhere if that was the approach he was going to take. He said, "Fine, I don't have time to talk to you right now. I'm going to go get on MB and talk to Dr. Harley."

Married 20 yrs
4 children
H
H
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Anointed, I have been so worried about the advice that you received about the locked door incident that I sent some time reading on the private forum to find similar cases, and see what Dr H's advice was. The nearest situation I could find involved a marriage in which there had been an affair. The couple had recently met Dr H at the weekend forum.

The BW wrote to Dr H because on a flight the previous weekend, she had felt ill. She told her H about feeling unwell and he had not responded in a caring manner. He had not comforted her on the flight and when they left the plane, he had left her to carry her own bags.

At home, when she complained about his lack of care for her on the flight, he did not think there had been anything wrong with the way he behaved. He pointed out that he did ask the steward for something to make his wife feel better. In all, he made it clear that he did not see why she was upset and did not think she should be.

This sounds a bit like your situation the other day, pregnant (which is not a short-term event, of course) and faced with your H's uncaring behaviour towards you. Since then, you have tried to explain why you felt uncared for in the hope that he will see how this hurts you and care enough to try and change his uncaring behaviour. He doesn't see what is upsetting about how he treated you so he is making no commitment to treating you more caringly in the future.

This was Dr H's response to the poster on the private forum:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
As you have already noticed, attending MBW or any other seminar for that matter, does not change habits. Habits are changed by repeating new behavior. Your husband's thoughtlessness behaviors are all habits that need to be changed. He doesn't feel any of the pain you feel when he acts in a thoughtless way, but wants to change. So you'll have to be patient with him while he practices those changes -- if you want your marriage, that is.

"Your husband's thoughtless behaviours are all habits that need to be changed".

This husband wanted to change, evidenced by his being at the weekend seminar. He had spoken to Dr H and Dr H knew this about him; he wanted to change. Therefore, Dr H's advice was for his wife to keep asking him to consider her feelings in all his actions, and for her to be patient because he wanted to change. But a change in behaviours was necessary if this wife was to fall in love with him again. Her LB was severely in the red because of the affair, and the uncaring behaviour was making this worse.

In a follow-up reply Dr H wrote:

I mentioned during MBW that women have more connections between neurons than men. And the band of fibers connecting the right and left hemispheres of their brain is much larger in women. It gives women a greater awareness of their surroundings, and empathy has a great deal to do with awareness. One negative aspect of this trait is that they often "care too much" and seem to be worried about how everyone in their lives are doing, including animals. The positive, of course, is that they bond with their partners much more quickly, and understand the value of the POJA more readily than men.

There are exceptions, however. Some of the couples we see consist of a husband with greater empathy than a wife. So it's not true that all women are more empathetic than men. And some men have a greater lack of empathy than the average man.

Men with a long history of thoughtlessness struggle with the changes that make them compatible with a woman. They usually feel that they are making progress by taking one small step at a time, while the woman in their life usually feels that the progress is way to small and too slow.

We'll try to speed things up in your case, but it will leave your husband feeling like a failure most of the time. He seems to lack the empathy you feel, but that doesn't mean that his behavior can't become thoughtful.
It's the same solution for you. If your H wants to make you happy he will need to commit to changing thoughtless behaviours, and he will need to listen to you when you complain, and not reject your complaint. If you are maintain your commitment to this marriage over time, then you need to see a willingness to change the behaviours you dislike, and, slowly, actual changes in your H's behaviour.

I have nothing to say nor to take away, but Sugar covered things PERFECTLY days ago, and it got lost in the shuffle.

Just thought I'd bring it back to the top of the deck. You might put this out in addition to Dr. H's recent responses.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks HHH. I am not excited about what I'm reading, but it does make me feel stronger somehow. Just knowing I'm not crazy to ask for or want to feel cared for is a huge relief.

Last night I was awake from 3am-6:30am thinking, praying, and bawling my eyes out.

I've asked for many years to be cared for.

It seems Ship didn't do much with MB last night after all. His mom came over and he spent a while chatting with her. I did see that he emailed Joyce but all he did was give her his email.

I thought for my sanity I'd list some things he has done to show me care lately:

1)hugged from behind the other day and rubbed my belly (baby)
2)rubbed my back while going to sleep when I said it ached
3)called and asked if I wanted him to pick up some comfort food (i.e. chocolate) after a particularly rough day for me

I've been tempted to think that it just isn't in him to do this stuff for me all the time, but when we were dating it is what made me fall in love with him. He was extravagant about it.

When I've mentioned to him that I need a servant heart to be around after and during the birth of the baby, he looks at me confused and says, "why do you keep using that word...that you want to be SERVED." I guess I was trying to say that I want someone to care for me and consider me.

His family does not do that. And unfortunately Ship doesn't do it very well or often enough to make me feel loved.

What a bummer of a day.

I have to prepare for my 3 year old's birthday get together, so I have to hold it all together. Plus my MIL is here today. Just can't deal today.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
H
H
Thanks HHH. I am not excited about what I'm reading, but it does make me feel stronger somehow. Just knowing I'm not crazy to ask for or want to feel cared for is a huge relief.

Last night I was awake from 3am-6:30am thinking, praying, and bawling my eyes out.

I've asked for many years to be cared for.

It seems Ship didn't do much with MB last night after all. His mom came over and he spent a while chatting with her. I did see that he emailed Joyce but all he did was give her his email.

I thought for my sanity I'd list some things he has done to show me care lately:

1)hugged from behind the other day and rubbed my belly (baby)
2)rubbed my back while going to sleep when I said it ached
3)called and asked if I wanted him to pick up some comfort food (i.e. chocolate) after a particularly rough day for me

I've been tempted to think that it just isn't in him to do this stuff for me all the time, but when we were dating it is what made me fall in love with him. He was extravagant about it.

When I've mentioned to him that I need a servant heart to be around after and during the birth of the baby, he looks at me confused and says, "why do you keep using that word...that you want to be SERVED." I guess I was trying to say that I want someone to care for me and consider me.

His family does not do that. And unfortunately Ship doesn't do it very well or often enough to make me feel loved.

What a bummer of a day.

I have to prepare for my 3 year old's birthday get together, so I have to hold it all together. Plus my MIL is here today. Just can't deal today.

Stop, reread those quotes Sugar brought you. Reread Dr H's posts.

You've got a tough nut to crack. But it can be cracked, if he is willing.

The sad, sad thing is that he doesn't see how this all will benefit him. And it will. It will benefit you both tremendously.

At this point, I hope he will get in touch w/ Dr. Harley... it would be even better if he would participate in coaching, or the online or home study course... there may be posters here that can usher this along, but I don't count myself among them, especially when dude ain't posting.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

A
OP Offline
A

This made me cry...not that it would be hard to make me cry today. I was wondering if the writing is on the wall. I was wondering what I'm supposed to do.

I do think Ship loves me, but if he can't show me love in a caring way, with respect...what good does it do?

I've asked him before if he even loves me, and it always hurts him. But now I see the reason I have asked (sincerely) has been because he has not shown me care.

I will stop. I will re-read. Thanks HHH.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Marriage assumes that spouses care for each other in an extraordinary way. They go beyond the care that anyone else would offer, to provide exceptional attention and protection.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Something else keeps swimming around in my head, so I'm just going to get it out.

Last week we were taking a walk, and Ship was on the phone with his brother. I kept having such strong Braxton Hicks contractions that I would have to stop and bend over for a break. Ship would keep walking, and when he noticed what I was doing would turn around and wait for me while continuing to talk on the phone. We did this twice before I finally just sat on the ground to catch my breath.

Ship got off the phone after a minute or two of me sitting on the ground saying that he needed to go because this is supposed to be "our" time to connect. He didn't seem overly concerned although I do think he finally did ask if I was ok.

This hurt me, too. I know I'm a big girl. I know I'm tough, but I just want to be care for.

Then I thought about the time my MIL was in a pretty severe car accident. It was bad enough that they had to sew her ear back on her head. She mentioned to me later that my FIL didn't even ask her if she was ok when he saw her in the ER.

Pattern maybe?

Married 20 yrs
4 children
H
H

This made me cry...not that it would be hard to make me cry today. I was wondering if the writing is on the wall. I was wondering what I'm supposed to do.

I do think Ship loves me, but if he can't show me love in a caring way, with respect...what good does it do?

I've asked him before if he even loves me, and it always hurts him. But now I see the reason I have asked (sincerely) has been because he has not shown me care.

Look at that private forum quote, sister.

Dr H knows his deal, the explanation for this behavior is right there.

Ship is hurt when you question if he loves you, because that question causes him to feel like he is failing (hint; he is. he is failing to demonstrate care).

I wish I could help you more, but from where I sit, I don't have the knowledge or experience to advise you to the solution that I see; to show him that he can move PAST those failures, and work on SUCCEEDING in his marriage. This has to be something that HE has to decide to do, it has to be something that HE values. And if those failures hurt him, he must value it at least a little bit.

Avoiding those failures is about creating NEW habits.

Just from the little bit of interaction I got with your H, he seems to be a pretty smart guy, but that can be a bad thing. Sometimes, when we are intelligent, we sell ourselves on crap far too easily, and it makes it hard for us to consider the opinions of others. We believe we know better.

I am guilty of this. So, I tell myself; I'm a stupid guy, but I can learn and memorize what smarter men have already figured out!

A
OP Offline
A
he wanted to change. Therefore, Dr H's advice was for his wife to keep asking him to consider her feelings in all his actions, and for her to be patient because he wanted to change. But a change in behaviours was necessary if this wife was to fall in love with him again.

Back in July when I figured out I was making some grave mistakes in our marriage (passive-aggressively punishing Ship & bringing up the past) I was almost elated.

"It must be MY fault! And I have control over MY actions, so there is hope!"- that's how I felt.

But this new revelation from Dr. Harley shows me that the ball is actually in Ship's court completely. I am not in control of what happens in our marriage. I cannot make everything better FOR him...as much as I'd like to.

I am willing to keep working my side of the street, of course, but there are some things that desperately need to change.

I'm not sure if Ship feels I am worth the effort.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

Look at that private forum quote, sister.

Dr H knows his deal, the explanation for this behavior is right there.

Ship is hurt when you question if he loves you, because that question causes him to feel like he is failing (hint; he is. he is failing to demonstrate care).

I wish I could help you more, but from where I sit, I don't have the knowledge or experience to advise you to the solution that I see; to show him that he can move PAST those failures, and work on SUCCEEDING in his marriage. This has to be something that HE has to decide to do, it has to be something that HE values. And if those failures hurt him, he must value it at least a little bit.

Avoiding those failures is about creating NEW habits.

Just from the little bit of interaction I got with your H, he seems to be a pretty smart guy, but that can be a bad thing. Sometimes, when we are intelligent, we sell ourselves on crap far too easily, and it makes it hard for us to consider the opinions of others. We believe we know better.

I am guilty of this. So, I tell myself; I'm a stupid guy, but I can learn and memorize what smarter men have already figured out!

Ha, I missed this HHH. Yes, Ship is highly intelligent. Yes, he feels very confident in his opinions. I have seen him be very willing to learn new things, however, so it always confuses me when there is such push-back on the things that are important to me.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
As you have already noticed, attending MBW or any other seminar for that matter, does not change habits. Habits are changed by repeating new behavior. Your husband's thoughtlessness behaviors are all habits that need to be changed. He doesn't feel any of the pain you feel when he acts in a thoughtless way, but wants to change. So you'll have to be patient with him while he practices those changes -- if you want your marriage, that is.

"Your husband's thoughtless behaviours are all habits that need to be changed".

I mentioned during MBW that women have more connections between neurons than men. And the band of fibers connecting the right and left hemispheres of their brain is much larger in women. It gives women a greater awareness of their surroundings, and empathy has a great deal to do with awareness. One negative aspect of this trait is that they often "care too much" and seem to be worried about how everyone in their lives are doing, including animals. The positive, of course, is that they bond with their partners much more quickly, and understand the value of the POJA more readily than men.

There are exceptions, however. Some of the couples we see consist of a husband with greater empathy than a wife. So it's not true that all women are more empathetic than men. And some men have a greater lack of empathy than the average man.

Men with a long history of thoughtlessness struggle with the changes that make them compatible with a woman. They usually feel that they are making progress by taking one small step at a time, while the woman in their life usually feels that the progress is way to small and too slow.

We'll try to speed things up in your case, but it will leave your husband feeling like a failure most of the time. He seems to lack the empathy you feel, but that doesn't mean that his behavior can't become thoughtful.

So I can read and re-read.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
D
D
Your husband contacted me today. I'll be discussing your problems with him this weekend by email, and keep you informed.

N
N
Anointed, it's hard to see you so tired and in pain today. But I know better days are ahead for you and your family, Anointed. You are not alone.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
A
OP Offline
A
Your husband contacted me today. I'll be discussing your problems with him this weekend by email, and keep you informed.

Dr. Harley, you just cannot know how much this means to me. You just can't. I'm so overwhelmingly grateful that I can't even find the words...

Oh, dear Jesus, please help us.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Anointed, it's hard to see you so tired and in pain today. But I know better days are ahead for you and your family, Anointed. You are not alone.

Thank you NED. I'm trying to just...breathe. And I don't know how I'm supposed to eat or function or...anything.

I have a baby to care for in my tummy, and I try to stay focused.

Thanks.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
Page 38 of 62 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 61 62

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 448 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation