Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
H
H
Originally Posted by LuvsDavid
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Well guys, I'm done with MB. Sorry but its just not working. I just cant get to a point that I feel safe and until that happens I cant let him in.

When I snoop, I find IB's that I didnt know about and when I ask about them I get half truths and lies.

For example: There was this girl that used to call him daily (sometimes multiple times) about questions on her car. I told him I didnt like it becuase she depended on him too much and he got a kick out of it. Anyway, I was snooping the other day and found out he had a car in the garage for a side job..... he never told me about it so I asked..... It took me asking 3 different ways to have him finally say it was her husbands car. I dont even know if that was the truth or it was hers since he didnt want to answer the question. This makes me think the following.

How many times has he had side jobs and not told me?
What is he doing with the extra money?
How many times has he left the shop and not told me?
Who shows up at the shop and I dont know?

Witholding one thing makes me think he is witholding a whole nother life. I cant feel safe so I cant allow him to deposit anything in my LB.

Thank you everyone that has tried and failed on my behalf.

CV, never got that special thing either. Nice try.

You aren't going to like this, but...

1) If MB isn't working for your, it's because you aren't working MB.

2) What are you doing to make Openness and Honesty safe? Yes, I know - "He should just BE honest!" That's what people think, that's what people say. Folks right here will get in and "You go girl" about dishonesty, and conveniently forget that this is Marriage Builders, not Disrespectful Judgement and Demand Builders.

What does Dr. Harley say about overcoming dishonesty?

The way to help an "avoid trouble" liar learn to be truthful is to focus attention on honesty and ignore everything else for a while. I encourage such people to tell the truth in return for their spouses not telling them what to do. In other words, minimize the consequences of the acts that they are afraid will get them into trouble. Instead of trying to punish your wife for going back on her promises, I would put more emphasis on safe and pleasant negotiation, where she is free to explain what she wants to do, and give you a chance to offer alternatives that are genuinely attractive to her.

What happens now is that she feels she is "made" to agree with you. You have told her that unless she does this or that, you will leave her. Even in the beginning, you explained that unless she stopped smoking, you would not even date her. She has learned to agree with anything and then do what she pleases to avoid a fight or being abandoned. But what if there were no fight? What if you wouldn't leave her? I recommend that you try to stop fighting with her, and you stop threatening to leave her. When she tells you she smokes, tell her you would appreciate it if she didn't, and offer her incentives to stop. But I wouldn't use threats.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5016_qa.html

Look at your response to dishonesty here; you throw your hands up and say "That's it! I quit!"

So here is my question for you; do you actually think that is the type of behavior from you that is going to inspire honesty from him?

It's not.

Honesty with you should be safe and rewarding. If you have to drag the truth out of him, hitting the roof and threatening divorce is NOT going to promote honesty. It's going to promote dishonesty.

Why? Because the association is this; the truth = you freaking out.

Even though the truth many be; discovering lies = you freaking out.

In fact; (anything = you freaking out) = avoid whatever makes you freak out - no matter how it's misunderstood.

You CAN maintain boundaries within a marriage without threats of divorce or separations, and you can promote honesty without hellfire and brimstone about dishonesty.

You need to build NEW habits.

You ain't done it yet.

MB ain't workin, cause you ain't workin it.

I got upset because he didnt tell me..... Not becuase he told me and I didnt like it. There is a BIG differance there. He made a bad choice in taking the job, yes, BUT if he had told me about it instead of me finding out, I would not have freaked out.

Are you trying to say he can do anything he wants even if it is an EP and never have to tell me about it even if I ask? If that is what MB is about then NO, I ain't working it and never will.

Its not the truth that gets me upset, its the having to drag it out. Lying by ommision is the problem I have with this. I cant feel safe if every time I snoop, I find more independent behavior. Examples: not being where he says, not doing what he says he is.

And I have decided to quit becuase I have no follow though from him. NONE! Neither I nore Dr.Harley can make my husband want to follow through. He has to decide that on himself.

Actually, MB via Dr. Harley provides a guide to create new habits in Marriage. It provides paths to make change more desirable - as the above article that I linked to you lays out.

It's the same thing in creating other habits.

Beyond that, you didn't really read a word I wrote, did you?

You scanned it, decided that since I'm not patting you on the back and aiding you in demonizing your husband for lying, that I'm not worth listening to.

Let me repeat;

The truth of the issue is that you are freaking out because you discovered lies.

To him, it appears if you are freaking out because you discovered the truth.

In other words, you discover a lie and freak out, and the association is made that truth = you freaking out.

Why? Because you freak out and threaten divorce when you discover the lie.

Read the quote, read the ARTICLE, and tell me that it isn't EXACTLY what you are doing RIGHT NOW.

Tell me that. Tell the whole board honestly that you aren't using secondary gain to issue a threat, rather than doing anything to promote honesty.

I was betrayed on 1/26/2010, the day before my wife's birthday. Not too far out here, and I simply cannot see justification for this kind of behavior towards a spouse.

You want your husband to be honest?

Then QUIT freaking out and threatening to leave him, and start REWARDING honesty.

Honesty is NOT a given, it's not a right, it's not an entitlement. We toss it around as a virtue or mark of a good person not because it serves that person, but because deceit infuriates us. DEMANDING honesty is a selfish act.

You want honesty? Make yourself safe to be honest with.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
C
C
See its not just the marriage I would be giving up on. That IS the most important thing but we have started my dream here. I've always wanted to work with animal rescue so we built a kennel here at the house. I board shelter dogs on donations untill they can get moved to the rescues. Originally it was supposed to allow us both to leave our jobs and work from home but david went back to work before we lost the house.

If I leave, I leave that dream behind also. When you say he took my life away you are explaining it 100%. On a scale of 1-10 my LB balance is about a 2 because of all the hits it has taken. I still love him and want it to work but I can't MAKE it work for him. This is truly the lowest point in my life right now but I've learned I can make it. I will get through this I just don't know who I will be on the other side.

Luvs,

I think no matter which route you end up going, you are still going to be LuvsDavid. I kinda equate it to a horrible car accident. There's all sorts of injuries internal and external. Because of the severity of it, we are going to carry the scars for life. But here's the thing... You will still be you. The essence of LD will be essentially the same, though you will be carrying those scars. One of the most distressing things to me after Dday was the realization that not only did my wife sin against me in a gross and horrendous way, but that what she did was affect my ability to be a pastor in our denomination. It's still up for grabs for me. I should have graduated in 08, now I'm looking at next year. Whether I pursue ministry or not won't affect the essence of CV though. I'll still be me... a bit more scarred, but still me.

This may not be the right time to be telling you this, so if it's not, just sit on it a while... In the meantime: hug

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
L
OP Offline
L
I can't help but think its more a renters mentality than a "wayward" now. I don't really think he will stray again but we will live just like we did before with the bare minimum to keep us both in the marriage.

In my snooping I saw what you suggested he do and it would have been so easy for him to do. I would have loved it. But I guess I was not worth the time it would have taken.

I WANT to lose 40 more pounds BUT not enough to put forth the effort required at the gym for example.

I have so much more in meto give but want to have it in return. I guess I've turned into a renter too.

Me -BS 40
Him - FWH 34 (dtl)
3 D-Days from 12/25/10 to 01/06/11
NC - 01/09/11
02/20/12 done beating my head on that wall.
C
C
I can't help but think its more a renters mentality than a "wayward" now. I don't really think he will stray again but we will live just like we did before with the bare minimum to keep us both in the marriage.

In my snooping I saw what you suggested he do and it would have been so easy for him to do. I would have loved it. But I guess I was not worth the time it would have taken.

I WANT to lose 40 more pounds BUT not enough to put forth the effort required at the gym for example.

I have so much more in meto give but want to have it in return. I guess I've turned into a renter too.

LD,

Have you both read renters and buyers article yet? Sounds like you have. I'd suggest you both read it together, talk about whether or not you are happy in a relationship with 2 renters. As far as losing the weight, do it for yourself. It will make you feel better for yourself and your mind will be healthier for the effort.

I'm sorry the sketch didn't work out. Don't you think you aren't worth it though. You are.

What are some things you guys can do to improve communications between you? Both in the initiating and listening/responding modes?

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
L
OP Offline
L
Dee asked for an update so here it goes.

It's not a good one. We could be the poster child for how to not recover but still have the crippled version of the pre-A marriage.

I take responiblity for it as much as him but we are not working the program. I'm in withdrawal 90% of the time. Sometimes I want to say that I wished I never found the site because I would not know what we "could" have.

Do we have a better Marriage than before the A?----- YES hard not to be.

Do we have better than ever?---- NO

We both admit we are lazy and just getting by.

What is strange is I'm over the A. What I'm not over with is the things he said to me after discovery. I cant get them out of my head. I can still see it like I was watching a TV show of us.

Walking through Walmart and going past the prepaid phones and saying "dont even think about getting one of those to talk to her on" He later told me he "WANTED TO LAUGH AT ME BECAUSE THEY ALREADY HAD ONE"

How he told me "Condoms are cheaper to buy in singles than in packs"

Remembering how he told me he was looking for a radiator for a friend on craigslist (her car)

We are leaving Saturday for a few days away camping on the beach in FL and doing some sea Kayaking. We are hoping it will kick start the attachment again as we are feeling very far apart even in the same room right now.

I still read here but only post on how to snoop and what to watch for from experiance because I dont have any advice on how to recover.

Me -BS 40
Him - FWH 34 (dtl)
3 D-Days from 12/25/10 to 01/06/11
NC - 01/09/11
02/20/12 done beating my head on that wall.
C
C
(((luvs))) i am sorry you are in this state.

did you ever sign up for the online course? i think the real kick that we needed was talking with Steve, even a few times is worth it.

i hope your mini vacation will help you draw closer together and you can come up with a plan that you both can be excited about. you both admit you are lazy and just getting by, at least you agree, now just agree on how you will change that. Every time we hit a rut, it was suggested we take a trip and it does work

i hope the storms are gone by the time you go, H and i are supposed to be traveling just as it hits NY. Needless to say i am a bit unnerved by the uncertainty of the trip and the storm.

Me 44- yes ugggh
WH 47
together 26 years M 19
serial cheater big time
DD1 2.24.11
NC letter sent 3/7/11
NC letter to OW2 april
final truths 5/8-- all of them poly confirmed 5/18
working the plan

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,015 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation