Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
OP Offline
L
I found this site after doing an internet search re: "surviving being the other woman." I suspect I may not be welcome here, but I suspect what you all have to say is what I need to hear. I will share my story.

I met MP in University, over 25 years ago. He was my first love and we had an intense and unique relationship for three years. We were deeply in love but sadly circumstances got in our way and he ended up living in another country. Because we were fairly young, we decided to move on. We both had other relationships. I got married and had three children. It was an unhappy marriage and ended in divorce two years ago. He got married and had a son. He is still married.

I hadn't spoken with him in years. I had a death in the family and the obituary was in our university newsletter. MP contacted me via email, provided to him by the Alumni office. Initially our emails were friendly and not romantic. We started speaking on the phone. His wife told him she wanted a "trial separation". Initially he was upset by this but our friendship was evolving into something much deeper.

In May, several months after communicating on the phone and via email, our relationship became physical. We do not live close to each other, so this was during travel. We have seen each other three times over the past 6 months. He still lives with his wife and son. He says they will be divorced but he is hoping she will move to the east coast first, so that he can be closer to his son. He is scared to file for divorce or reveal the affair as he worries he will lose his son. He says he loves me more than anything and wants to marry me. He has spoken in detail about his desire to marry me.

I am starting to realize that he may not leave her although he seems dedicated to convincng me otherwise. Because his wife does not know, I am not able to call him. He calls me. It is so difficult when I'm having a hard time to not be able to contact him.

Sometimes, like today, I feel so angry with myself and with him. I think about contacting his wife and telling her the truth. I feel like I'd want to know. I know this would end things permanently between MP and I. That scares me. I love him. I am in a horrible painful bind. I've asked him to be honest with her. He is scared of hurting her and feels that she will eventually want a divorce on her own terms, and therefore hurting her isn't necessary.

What do I do?

I
I
Liz, on the contrary, you are very welcome here.

Just by your posting here tells me you would much rather have a nice, open and honest life than this hell pit you've both created for each other.

Dr H recommends that married people do not have opposite sex friends, particularly not former lovers as it is easy for those feelings to reappear at any given point. You thought those old feelings were buried, but they never are.

You know full well that his excuse about fear of losing his son is laughable. He will have access if he is a good parent. He knows you are not a fool but that you are willing to swallow some lies. Lies he is happy to give.

Of course if he DOES leave, he will lose the joy of joint parenting with his son's mother and them all being under the same roof. If this is what he wants, he will never leave for you.

Not unless the affair damages the marriage so much that it falls apart.

Is this what you wish to do? Damage his marriage and attack his family for your own benefit?

I would advise agaisnt it because marriages resulting from affairs are nearly all total failures. The figures for divorce in affairages are appalling.

Not to mention it is very wrong.

What do you wish to do? Do you wish to attack this family, or find the strength to walk away?

The fact you chose this site to post on gives me some hope regarding your answer and our ability to help.

Could you also tell us your marital status please?

God bless.

Last edited by indiegirl; 12/03/12 10:26 AM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
You also need to move this thread to the Surviving an Affair forum where most of the vets with infidelity experience tend to be. Just click 'notify' and ask the mods to move it.

In the meantime, some food for thought from a FOW.

Originally Posted by NewCreation2011
My perspective is from that of the OW who became the new wife. I hope this helps someone.

You will get to be responsible for destroying the life of another woman. You will get to be responsible for destroying the lives of all children involved. No, children are not resilient. They are sponges and take in everything around them whether they are capable of processing it or not. And when they are not able to process their world being shattered and all the conflicting messages about right and wrong, you will get to deal with all their issues and mistakes and anger as they grow up. You will have to know all the while that whatever is happening is a direct result of your selfishness. If the child fails at school, can’t control their anger, becomes promiscuous, falls into addictions, can’t maintain good relationships of their own you get to know in the back of your mind and deep in your soul that you are responsible for what molded that child. Whether you admit it or not, you WILL know. You will not be able to fix this; it will not work out, smooth over, or ever be okay. Even if you look like the Cleavers on the surface it is under there bubbling and will come out. Don’t think you are special and you will escape this result.

Maybe right now you are in a place where you are in deep denial about the children and you don’t give a crap about the BW. Let me appeal to your sense of selfishness then and tell you what you personally are going to suffer in the years to come…

You are marrying a cheater. Someone who didn’t like what they had at home so they went looking for something better. Or maybe you offered him something better? It doesn’t really matter who started it, who lied more, it doesn’t even really matter if you were tricked into a relationship not knowing he was married at first. Your consequences will be the same. You now have a spouse who gave up one family and chose you and yours. Feels great right? Think again. How long do you think it will take before you stop feeling like a prize?

The minute things go wrong, and face it, in all marriages there are these times, he is going to be looking at you and wondering if you were worth it. And you will feel it. Even if he doesn’t say it right out. He is going to realize that this marriage requires just as much work as the old one did and you are not nearly as perfect in real life as he thought you were and he is going to be angry for what he has sacrificed for you. Now you get to be insecure and feel like you are always fighting to be worth it to him.

You are going to be labeled as the whore for the entire rest of your life. No matter what changes or personal revelations you come to, you will be the whore that wrecked a home and stole a husband. There will be innumerable family conflicts over this. You are likely to have his kids hating your guts forever. This means that every holiday, school concert, soccer game, big family event like graduations and weddings, and grandkids (yes, it will last that far and long) will be sources of conflict instead of happy times.

You will probably not be invited to a lot of things that your spouse should be attending with his children. You may show up anyway, asserting your position as the new wife. But it will be a conflict. You spouse will have to over and over choose between you and his original family. He is going to resent you for this. You are going to get so tired of constantly being the center of conflict and so tired of all the hate directed at you and no one is going to sympathize with you. When you do impose yourself where the BW and her children and extended family and friends are you will feel the scarlet letter that you wear burning in your chest no matter how high you try to hold your head. I promise you, you will. You and your stolen spouse will fight over this more than you can imagine in the years to come.

And guess what?! When he starts to pull away from you and works late more, or isn’t insatiable in bed with you anymore, or cuts his hair a new way you are going to be terrified. You are going to be terrified because you know exactly what he might be doing next. You are going to be suspicious probably before he actually even does anything because you already know he is untrustworthy.

Chances are he is going to cheat again too. Except this time on you. Now, you get to feel the pain of being a BW doubled by the pain of realizing exactly what you did to someone else. The guilt and shame on top of your already devastating pain from being cheated on will be unbearable. Now listen to this closely NO ONE IS GOING TO CARE!! You are going to hear and know that you should have known better and have the old adages about cheaters thrown in your face over and over. You will not be able to come somewhere like these boards for support because they are going to crucify you! You will be all alone with your pain and your heartache with no one to blame but yourself.

Do not think you are special. DO NOT THINK IT WON’THAPPEN TO YOU!!!!!!!!!! The stats are overwhelmingly high. No one gets married thinking that their spouse will cheat. No one. I promise you are not different or better somehow.

Occasionally an affair partner will grow a conscience and want to be a good person and here is what happens…

Now, let’s say that you make changes in your heart and your life. Let say you find God or in whatever way it comes to you, you realize that you have done something horrendous. Okay, now you actually do care about those kids and that BW. Well too bad. You can’t fix it. Yes, God will forgive you if you repent. Not many others will. And you will have one heck of a time trying to forgive yourself. You will feel sick and ashamed all the time. You will cry many bitter tears.

You will not be able to look at your spouse and feel the same way you once did. All of your memories of when you first met, your first kiss, the early days of your relationship will be tainted. All of those memories that are supposed to be sweet will be sour. You will not be able to enjoy them because you know that whole time it was wrong, wrong, wrong! What are you left with? Not much.

You are going to try to offer apologies, you are going to try to figure out what you can possibly do to make amends and there are going to be no easy answers. You will be told by many that you can’t repent and stay married. You will be told by just as many that if God has forgiven you that another divorce would be just another sin. You will make yourself crazy over this because you want to do the right thing for once in your life and you have put yourself in a situation where it is impossible to know what that it.

Also, if you are one of the few who have this attack of conscience at some point down the road, you are still going to be dealing with all the same stuff above that the unremorseful affair partner is dealing with except it’s probably going to hurt you even more because you now genuinely care. Too bad no one will think you are sincere or trust your words. Why should they, remember what you did?? Of course you do, now go cry some more as if it will help.

There are no time machines people!! You are making a mess bigger than you can ever clean up!!

There is really a lot more I could say about how this is going to play out but this is already getting very long.

Like I said, this is from my perspective but just change the pronouns and it is the same for anyone entering into an adulterous relationship. Man or woman, whether you are the WW, WH, AP, it’s going to end in ruin.

You have been warned.

And if anyone out there is currently involved in waywardness and wants to ask me something, fire away! I will answer any and everything asked if it will get you to stop what you are doing and reconcile your family before it is too late.

Unfortunately if you are already married to your AP don’t bother asking me. I can’t help you because I cannot help myself. I live in the ruins of my own creation. You like me should have seen the light sooner. Sorry.

To the BS out there who may read this, I can only hope that knowing that your spouse is not going to be happy and their AP is not going to be happy helps you feel a little bit vindicated. I promise you that even if they look like the picture of happiness on the outside they are not. They have a cancer eating their souls. You can have a better life. They won’t.

NewCreation2011

P
P
Originally Posted by LizWhitney
I've asked him to be honest with her. He is scared of hurting her and feels that she will eventually want a divorce on her own terms, and therefore hurting her isn't necessary.

His betrayed wife may not know exactly what is wrong in her marriage but have no doubt she can feel his emotional absence even when he is physically near. That is the most hurtful of all. When she does discover what is going on, and she will find out, his lies and deceit will cut like a knife. That is what hurts the most...how your spouse could look you in the eye and lie.

Is this the type of man you want? Someone who is willing to let his victim get so fed up that she files for divorce and SHE will be the bad guy while he rides off into the sunset? He is cruel and selfish.

I think you know what you should do.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

I
I
Having been on the receiving end of the "I will wait for you to get fed up of my neglect" treatment - it IS exceptionally cruel.

It makes you feel like an unloved, but loyal, old dog. Forgotten, but depended upon to wait patiently in the wings.

Not very husbandly. Not at all husband material.

And it is only someone trenches deep in an affair who could possibly think that someone would file for a D without a real and visible reason for the problems they feel.

True wives don't file for a D because they are puzzled and lonely. They figure out the truth about WHY they are puzzled and lonely. If they are like me, they snoop and then they shame the adulterers before the world. So much so they dumped each other.

P
P
And of course his marriage is unhappy because he is investing his time outside the marriage while he continues his charade of being the husband and father.

You can see that this man will run from his problems rather than investing the time to actually fix them. What do you think he will do when the two of you begin to have stress. Past behaviour is a prediction of future behaviour and you have already discovered that he does not take his vows and promises seriously.

Tell his betrayed wife and then end all contact with this guy for life. You need to get some self respect and find a man who is not already taken. Sorry I cannot think of a nice way to say it. You are on the road to ruin.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you. Thank you.

Someone asked my marital status. I am divorced for two years. I live with my daughters.

I agree that the "staying for his son" line is a weak argument. Yes, I think he does wish he could have daily parenting and divorce would change that.

Intellectually, I know that ending things is the RIGHT thing to do. I love him and it hurts. I also understand what all of you have said about trust in the future. If he could do this to HER, could he do it to me? I guess I delude myself and believe that what we have is intense, unique and unbreakable. But, when I take the cold hard look: I know what we have is NOT real because that bottom line is there are too many lies.

I know he lied to me this weekend, for example. It was his anniversary and I have no doubt he was doing something with his wife. Not coincidentally, he was unavailble to talk...had lots of water tight excuses. It hurts. And I feel like I don't even deserve to comfort myself because I'm not his wife.

I've read a lot about Exposure on this board. Should I just cut him off and allow him to repair his marriage? I suspect he will continue to lie to his wife about where he was during those three weeks we were together. She will likely never know he had an affair although I assume she has felt some of the signs. Do I just "leave it alone" and try to move on myself? Should I tell this woman her husband has had a sexual affair? I realize that I feel very hurt and that it could feel like a relief, on some level, to let her know. Then again, I guess it is his place to tell her and I doubt he ever will.

Thank you again for being understanding with me. I know as "the other woman" I am pretty much scorned by most.

I
I
MP contacted me via email, provided to him by the Alumni office.

For a married man to go to these sort of lengths, to reconnect with a former lover, while she was clearly vulnerable and grieving, is a HUGE red flag to me.

I would say he is a serial cheat, seeking a victim, vulture-style.

I guarantee his wife did not know he was offering sympathy in this way to an ex girlfriend.

L
OP Offline
L
How do I move this thread to the other section?

S
S
Is this your real name? You should change your posting name if it is.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
U
U
I encourage you to read other threads. There are threads from both betrayed and wayward people on this site. You will see a very NONunique pattern. Every person thinks their 'love' is unique and special in some way, every person thinks that their situation is different. It is not. The same pattern, same lies, same everything is told in every story, every affair situation, worldwide.

Here is the man you have chosen, to be your lover and to parade in front of your daughters: a man who will prey on a vulnerable woman; a man who will lie to EVERYONE in his life, to selfishly get what he wants; a man who will have sex with his wife, leave and have sex with his girlfriend, then come home to have sex with his wife again, without telling her (and I am guessing unprotected sex, no?), exposing her to life threatening illnesses and other things without care or concern for her wellbeing; a man who is creating due to his selfishness, a marriage that is wrought with questions, a lack of intimacy, a lack of connection, with no concern for how this is impacting his wife, the mother of his child, OR his child; a man who is creating havoc in YOUR life, even though you are so 'special and unique' and seems to care as little for you as his own wife; a man who is cake eating by getting his needs met by two different women, who are both in despair, with no concern or care for either of them; a man who is, as was pointed out, willing to walk away from his marriage with his wife never knowing what happened, what failed, always feeling that perhaps it was HER and not knowing it was HIM and his AP that caused the destruction of her marriage; a man who is willing to destroy his sons life, to cake eat.

Is this the kind of man you would want for your daughters? Because you are role modeling for them just want to accept in their lives.

U
U
Your AP is not refraining from telling his wife about your A because of one reason: self protection.

It has nothing to do with his son, if he cared about his son's well being he would not be in an affair!

It has nothing to do with 'protecting' his wife. If he cared AT ALL about protecting his wife he would not be in an affair!

It is certainly NOT to protect you, he has the least amount invested in you.

It is to protect his cake eating, to make sure he continues to have BOTH women meet his needs. And to protect his reputation as a good family man, a man of honor, when indeed in the shadows, he is not one.

M
M
Intellectually, I know that ending things is the RIGHT thing to do. I love him and it hurts. I also understand what all of you have said about trust in the future. If he could do this to HER, could he do it to me? I guess I delude myself and believe that what we have is intense, unique and unbreakable. But, when I take the cold hard look: I know what we have is NOT real because that bottom line is there are too many lies.

Hi Liz, welcome to Marriage Builders. I know that you know intellectually that you are screwed. Allow me to validate that instinct with a few facts. First off, your affair is doomed. Affairs only have a 5% chance of ever making it to marriage. 95% of them crumble within 2 years. Of those that make it to marriage, there is a 70% divorce rate. The reason is because the very traits that enable an affair, deceit, thoughtlessness and selfishness, eventually make it into the affair and quickly destroy it.

Not that he will ever leave his wife for you, but you should know if he did, your relationship would be doomed. His kids and his family would likely never accept you for your role in the breakup of their family.

And most importantly, this guy does not "love" you. A man does not degrade a woman he "loves" in this manner.
He has symbolically spit in your face. For him to have an affair with you only means that he has absolutely no respect for you. IF he did, he would not drag you into a filthy, sordid adulterous affair. An affair is about as honorable and romantic as 2 pigs getting it on in the pig pen. yuck.. There is nothing romantic about that!

If you want to regain your honor and decency, then send his wife a letter telling her what you have done to her. CC your affair partner and let him know the affair is ended. That act of just compensation to his wife will leave you with SOME honor and dignity after what you have done.

Don't choose to be a cockroach who is scrambling for crumbs at another woman's table of life. Walk away and commit to never being a "mistress" again. IT is a filthy defilement of you as a woman and a human being.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

U
U
Many, many, MANY people involved in an A believe that although their AP lies to the horrible, evil, terrible spouse...they would NEVER lie to their wonderful, match made in heaven OW!

Wrong!

Why would you think he could lie to his family, mother, father, wife, even his SON, and yet somehow magically, not be capable of lying to YOU?

What you know about your AP is that he has terrible boundaries, and will lie to anyone to get his way...including you.

M
M
I realize that I feel very hurt and that it could feel like a relief, on some level, to let her know. Then again, I guess it is his place to tell her and I doubt he ever will.

IT is your place to tell her what you did to her. You had an affair with her husband. You owe her an amends for doing that. Amends comes in the form of informing her what you have done to her. THAT is how you restore your own dignity and climb out of the pig pen.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Also, ask yourself why in the world you would ever consider a future with a cheater? Do you believe in sharing your man? Because you already know he believes in adultery.

Are you ok with that? [not that he will ever leave his wife, he won't]

Exposure 101

U
U
I do want to commend you for coming to this site, even knowing you might be told things you didn't want to hear.

It says that deep down, you have a moral compass that is telling you that you are making a horrible choice, and living an immoral lifestyle. It means you have a desire to follow a different path.

The question is: will you?

#2687817 12/03/12 01:55 PM
L
OP Offline
L
As I posted earlier, I am the other woman in a relationship with a married man. Obviously, the man's relationship with his wife was misrepresented to me...it was "on the rock's", "essentially over" etc. I know now that he likely will not leave his wife even though he "promised" me he wanted to marry me and that I was not the cause of his failing marriage. He isn't going to leave. I realize he is fooling his wife and hasn't told her anything about me. I know many of you have been on the difficult end of this (trust me, both ends are hard). Would you have wanted your spouse's lover to contact you with the cold, hard facts? Or would you have preferred to figure it out yourself? Or live in denial and hope to mend things? I have the urge to let her know what has transpired and yet I feel like that probably is not my "role" at all.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by unwritten
I encourage you to read other threads. There are threads from both betrayed and wayward people on this site. You will see a very NONunique pattern. Every person thinks their 'love' is unique and special in some way, every person thinks that their situation is different. It is not. The same pattern, same lies, same everything is told in every story, every affair situation, worldwide.

Here is the man you have chosen, to be your lover and to parade in front of your daughters: a man who will prey on a vulnerable woman; a man who will lie to EVERYONE in his life, to selfishly get what he wants; a man who will have sex with his wife, leave and have sex with his girlfriend, then come home to have sex with his wife again, without telling her (and I am guessing unprotected sex, no?), exposing her to life threatening illnesses and other things without care or concern for her wellbeing; a man who is creating due to his selfishness, a marriage that is wrought with questions, a lack of intimacy, a lack of connection, with no concern for how this is impacting his wife, the mother of his child, OR his child; a man who is creating havoc in YOUR life, even though you are so 'special and unique' and seems to care as little for you as his own wife; a man who is cake eating by getting his needs met by two different women, who are both in despair, with no concern or care for either of them; a man who is, as was pointed out, willing to walk away from his marriage with his wife never knowing what happened, what failed, always feeling that perhaps it was HER and not knowing it was HIM and his AP that caused the destruction of her marriage; a man who is willing to destroy his sons life, to cake eat.

Is this the kind of man you would want for your daughters? Because you are role modeling for them just want to accept in their lives.

No, I have not introduced him to my daughters. It has been a long distance relationship. I will not introduce him as he is married. That is one of the huge issues. And of course he claims he sleeps separately from wife and has not had intimate relations with her since Jan. Of course I'm starting to have my doubts and that hurts like h*ll.

Last edited by LizWhitney; 12/03/12 02:02 PM.
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by unwritten
I do want to commend you for coming to this site, even knowing you might be told things you didn't want to hear.

It says that deep down, you have a moral compass that is telling you that you are making a horrible choice, and living an immoral lifestyle. It means you have a desire to follow a different path.

The question is: will you?

Unwritten, thank you for that realization. Of course I know it is WRONG on so many levels. I hate myself but sometimes love when you are very lonely is like a drug. Truly. And as destructive. I had a miserable divorce two years ago and haven't dated since then. When MP walked back into my life it was a relief to have someone I already knew, someone familiar and safe. Now I realize he isn't mine at all. Yes, I will follow a different path. I will tell him I cannot participate in a relationship that is so destructive for me and deceitful for another woman...his wife. When I know it needs to end, I feel angry at HIM. I should feel angry at myself. It makes me want to reveal all to his wife, but I know I'll only be hurting more people.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (still seeking), 101 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation