Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
M
M
p.s. I want to applaud you for the super job you did on exposure!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Good job on the exposure and welcome to MB.

Has the BH been in contact with you since he learned of the affair?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by GloveOil
I was a guy who got into an affair (4 years ago), and was lucky I didn't totally destroy my marriage to the best wonderful on the planet. And I can tell you firsthand exactly how well it works to try to end an affair while remaining in contact with the affair partner: It doesn't work at all.

GloveOil,

I really appreciate your perspective on things! Thanks!

Me: BS
DH: WS

Married 20 years no children
DD: Nov 2012

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6
L
L
Courageous,

You are doing a great job. Follow what the vets say. You are doing great.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"...... The Shawshank Redemption.
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Don't pay that any mind. No more than if he were a sulky toddler.

He is trying to unnerve and weaken you. Or get you mad. Be determinedly sweet and cheerful. Put your pokerface on and act as if you don't notice. This will madden him further - which is great! Just so long as you remain visibly unshaken he can get as sulky as he chooses.

Have you read the carrot and stick of Plan A?

I agree! He is trying to unnerve and weaken me. OK, my pokerface is on and I'll be super sweet and cheerful. This will make his blood boil. Boy, won't this be fun! Thanks for the laugh smile

Yes, I have been reading the Carrot and stick of Plan A. I'm starting to love the stick part. No more doormat!!!

He is more than just sulking though. He is super, super pissed. I guess I know that I hit him where it hurts with the exposure.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6
M
M
Originally Posted by Courageous
He is more than just sulking though. He is super, super pissed. I guess I know that I hit him where it hurts with the exposure.

That is great!! hurray The more pissed, the more effective your exposure in killing the affair.

Does the OW have a facebook account? If she does, I would try and find her mother on there and expose the affair to her. Exposing to the affairee's mothers is a powerful exposure because it - usually - ruins the future of the affair. Most parents care enough about their kids to not support an affair.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
N
Courageous,

I don't have any further advice for you as you got some of the best Mb vets helping you.

Welcome to MB and sorry you are going through this.

I really admire your drive and determination to kill this A and really wish there were more BS who were as determined as you to save their marriage from an A.

Really well done and good luck on Monday.

BW 36(Me)
WS 38
Married: 2000
DD1November 22 2008 - DD2 October 2014
PA Duration September 08 - November 08
Second discovery- 6 online affairs 4 sexual one emotional. October 2014.kids: DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DS 10 . Baby after divorce DS 18months

Divorced

Was misled into thinking we were in recovery for 6 years.

If you were shocked reading any of this, that this is the consequence of not following MB to the LETTER.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
C, I would drive the job issue home NOW and ask him when he will be quitting that job. Make it very clear to him he has to be gone by the end of the month. And I would go ahead and expose the affair - officially - at work. That will motivate him to get out of there. Every day he goes there is another day that the affair continues. I assure you the affair has not ended.

I like how you say that workplace exposure will motivate him to get out of there.

Plus, I can't take it anymore with the wondering what is happening between them at work.

C
OP Offline
C
He needs to be told that he either leaves the job or he moves out. There is no other way and that is how forcefully he should be told. You can't softsell this and be successful.

If you don't get him out of there, this is hopeless and all of your work will have been for naught.

Wow, making him move out will be very, very hard! I'm starting to see how this is necessary. I don't have a marriage anyway. Besides, I can't take much more of this!

M
M
He needs to be told that he either leaves the job or he moves out. There is no other way and that is how forcefully he should be told. You can't softsell this and be successful.

If you don't get him out of there, this is hopeless and all of your work will have been for naught.

Wow, making him move out will be very, very hard! I'm starting to see how this is necessary. I don't have a marriage anyway. Besides, I can't take much more of this!

Dr. Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders, advises only putting up with this for about 3 weeks. After that, betrayed wives start having nervous breakdowns and physical problems. He recommends a dark separation if the wayward won't completely end contact. And that does mean working together!

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
You got it! And you have nothing to lose, because you don't have a marriage if he doesn't leave. As it stands now, you don't have a marriage. And the longer he goes there, the stronger the chance that he leaves FOR the OW. This is a very entrenched, long term affair. It will take a nuclear blast to kill it. You have that chance NOW while you have them on the ropes. And the time to strike is now.

Yes, it's a very entrenched, long term affair. I've read that these types are the hardest to recover from sadly frown

Another reason to go nuclear with everything! Thanks so much for the support, MelodyLane, you're the best smile

I
I

Its not as difficult as you think. Mine mistook my request as temporary and jumped at the chance to impress the OW all the while meaning to veer back my way again soon.

Then I had the locks changed, changed my contact details and had his belongings sent on. A love letter informed him he will have a loving wife waiting for him when the A is over.

Link in my sig explains Plan B preps

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by black_raven

Thanks!

No, the BH has not been in contact with me even though I gave him my contact info. I kind of screwed up when I confronted OW, I threatened OW that I would be calling her BH. I called him within 15 minutes of telling her. When I told him he was completely shocked.

I told him the details, but unfortunately I didn't tell him 100% of my evidence. I messed up. We arranged a meeting a few hours after my phone call so I could give him all my copied evidence (e-mails, phone records etc). He never showed up for the meeting. I'm guessing that she got to him first and told him I was crazy, but he didn't seem to know anything when I called. Or he didn't care about the evidence because he already had suspicions and just proceeded to kick her out. I haven't heard anything further. I've been debating contacting him again, but wandered what good it would do. Any thoughts?

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Logans_Run
Courageous,

You are doing a great job. Follow what the vets say. You are doing great.

Logans Run, Thanks so much. It's wonderful to hear that I'm doing a great job. The support keeps me going smile

B
B
Originally Posted by black_raven

Thanks!

No, the BH has not been in contact with me even though I gave him my contact info. I kind of screwed up when I confronted OW, I threatened OW that I would be calling her BH. I called him within 15 minutes of telling her. When I told him he was completely shocked.

I told him the details, but unfortunately I didn't tell him 100% of my evidence. I messed up. We arranged a meeting a few hours after my phone call so I could give him all my copied evidence (e-mails, phone records etc). He never showed up for the meeting. I'm guessing that she got to him first and told him I was crazy, but he didn't seem to know anything when I called. Or he didn't care about the evidence because he already had suspicions and just proceeded to kick her out. I haven't heard anything further. I've been debating contacting him again, but wandered what good it would do. Any thoughts?
Yes contact him again.

Do you know his address? Can you drive there and give him all your evidence?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

N
N
You are doing very well, Courageous!

Yes, do whatever it takes to get your evidence into the hands of OWH. Also get the evidence, especially anything work-related, into the hands of BOTH supervisors, the HR department, and maybe an upper-level officer or two.

Now expand on the impact. A phone call to any FEMALE relatives of his would be interesting, unless they are living wayward lifestyles and would support him as a colleague-in-adultery.

You want his whole world to collapse on him (and on POSOW) so in the future he looks back at his decision to pop POSOW as the worst one he ever made!

M
M
I've included alot of details here. What are the chances that the others, (WS, OW and her husband) could see my post? I'm probably just being paranoid.

It's very very unlikely that anyone in your real life will identify your story and out your MB posts to someone/anyone in your real life. When you read here long enough these stories all sound similar. Just be careful adding any names or locations to your posts.

That being said...the biggest risk to discovery is when your husband snoops your computer to see what you are up to. We've even heard tell of some waywards putting keyloggers on their spouses computers to monitor whether they are getting suspicious. However, typically they just look in your computer history to see what you've been up to when it becomes obvious that SOMEBODY is feeding you [what they consider bad] advice.

Just use a separate browser for MB, close it when you leave, clear your history every time. If you run a mac...make good use of the "Private Browsing". If you access with your phone be sure you password protect or find some private browser App or something. Just be careful. Never trust a wayward...he's been playing this game a lot longer than you...being sneaky is his forte.

Godspeed,

Mr. W

p.s. - If he ever does find MB contact/email the mods immediately and they can bury or zap this thread for you.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
V
V
Originally Posted by MrWondering
I've included alot of details here. What are the chances that the others, (WS, OW and her husband) could see my post? I'm probably just being paranoid.

It's very very unlikely that anyone in your real life will identify your story and out your MB posts to someone/anyone in your real life. When you read here long enough these stories all sound similar. Just be careful adding any names or locations to your posts.

That being said...the biggest risk to discovery is when your husband snoops your computer to see what you are up to. We've even heard tell of some waywards putting keyloggers on their spouses computers to monitor whether they are getting suspicious. However, typically they just look in your computer history to see what you've been up to when it becomes obvious that SOMEBODY is feeding you [what they consider bad] advice.

Just use a separate browser for MB, close it when you leave, clear your history every time. If you run a mac...make good use of the "Private Browsing". If you access with your phone be sure you password protect or find some private browser App or something. Just be careful. Never trust a wayward...he's been playing this game a lot longer than you...being sneaky is his forte.

Godspeed,

Mr. W

p.s. - If he ever does find MB contact/email the mods immediately and they can bury or zap this thread for you.
Opera is very good for private browsing. I use Opera as my primary browser, but not too many folks do so that may work to your advantage. Just don't add any quick start or desktop launches and he'll probably never even notice. Just launch from your program file and then you should be good to go.

There's a private window option that you can access by clicking on the file tab in the upper left hand corner of the page. I don't think this toolbar loads automatically at installation, so you may have to go into "Tools" and then "My Preferences" to get the toolbar up.

If you decide to take this route and need some help setting up, just let me know.

http://www.opera.com/browser/

BTW, you are doing awesome. I'm very impressed with you.

Every man I meet is in some way my superior; and in that I can learn of him.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

C
OP Offline
C
I told my WH that he had to stop contact with AP and he said he would then he started texting her and deleting the texts which I caught and confronted him about. I had an angry outburst when I did this in December and it set us back. I told him he has to stop all contact with her otherwise we can't reconcile the marriage which he said he wanted to do.

After that things seemed to be fairly well. I did not see anymore texts and calls but because they work together I suspected that they were still in contact because he just didn't seem 100% on board (see my first post at the start of this thread). Then I did full nuclear exposure to friends, family and clergy. He got super, super pissed which is good. He started locking himself in the spare bedroom and wouldn't let me go near him. During this time I discovered that the AP has obtained a new cell phone and they started texting again and he put her new phone # under a different person's name. Does he think I'm stupid. He gave me some lame excuse that it was this other person and she just happened to text "Hey there sweetie, because that's how she always talks". I don't believe him.

This is the second time that he has broken his no contact pledge. This is a long-term affair and I know it's an addiction. I told him I know about the 2nd contact and that he has to change jobs and break all contact with her. Am I crazy to give him more time, since it's been only 2 months since I discovered and 5 days since I did full blown nuclear exposure?

I want to continue with plan A and Carrot and Stick. Any thoughts? My business is on our home property and for me to leave would be very, very difficult since my business is very busy right now and until May. He won't leave and says I'm the one who has to leave even though he's the one who had the affair.

N
N
Also get the evidence, especially anything work-related, into the hands of BOTH supervisors, the HR department, and maybe an upper-level officer or two. A phone call to any FEMALE relatives of his would be interesting...

Did you do these?

I told my WH that he had to stop contact with AP

Or what? Drunks don't stop drinking because they're ordered to. Addicts don't give up the needle because they have been told to do so.

These addictive personalities will only cease their abuses when the pain of continuing is significantly greater than the expected pain of withdrawal.

So maximize the totality of exposure. If the external sanctions like risking the loss of his job, and the contempt of his family and friends will not break him free, then you order him from the house. Failing that, you contact a lawyer.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation