Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
N
N
The topic of a NC letter has come up...I feel like it would be reopening a can of worms.

It is necessary. It is less a case of opening a can of worms than of welding a cover over an open sewer.

Whether or not it convinces POSOM all the more of your commitment to be done with him and devote yourself to your marriage, it more reliably serves the purpose of a covenant between you and BH.

Trust us that writing it in your own hand, giving it to BH to read and approve (after we've helped wink ), and having him mail it, will be yet three more steps in the cooperation and "couple protection" that is going to have to become your life going forward.

M
M
Originally Posted by Fluffy_mouse
The topic of a NC letter has come up and I was hoping that I could please get some insight from the vets. I feel like it would be reopening a can of worms. It seems counter intuitive to me to contact OM after two and a half months without contacting him to say not to contact me. I have concerns that this would be more likely to make him contact me than doing nothing.
When I made the decision to dedicate myself to saving the marriage and ended it with the OM, he showed up at my sister's door within the hour. Since then, he has tried emailing me a couple times but I have not responded and have since changed my personal email address and personal phone number but he knows the name of my business so even if I changed that number and email a dozen times he could still go to the website and get it again. It concerns me that getting a letter from me would be exactly the kind of thing that would start calls, which thankfully I have not gotten so far.
I do not think he knows where I live. He has never been to my house but I know from Facebook maps he has a pretty good idea and since there are no other residential complexes in the area and I had mentioned the unit number in previous conversations there is a small possibility that he could show up here but I kind of doubt that. If he did we would have the added concern of BH ending up in jail or us getting sued...
In summary, I would appreciate if someone would please explain why it is a good idea to send a NC letter since from a practical point of view I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Though I wasn't seeing it before, OM is highly unstable and I'm worried it would do more harm than good to stir things up.

Send the NO CONTACT letter so at least his wife will know what is going on.

"Mr. OM I am rebuilding my marriage with my wonderful husband, Mr. A. Please do not contact me ever again. I will not respond to your emails, phone calls, or texts. I am as good as dead to you."

Close down Facebook and any other social media he could use to contact you. Then it is over. You will now be as good as dead to him. The way it should be.

Last edited by WalkinForward; 01/22/13 12:21 PM.
B
B
It's important to your BH. It shows your commitment. If he does come around just do as you have been now... IGNORE.

Me BW: 30
WH: 33
D
D
I CONCUR!!!

H
H
Originally Posted by Fluffy_mouse
The topic of a NC letter has come up and I was hoping that I could please get some insight from the vets. I feel like it would be reopening a can of worms. It seems counter intuitive to me to contact OM after two and a half months without contacting him to say not to contact me. I have concerns that this would be more likely to make him contact me than doing nothing.
When I made the decision to dedicate myself to saving the marriage and ended it with the OM, he showed up at my sister's door within the hour. Since then, he has tried emailing me a couple times but I have not responded and have since changed my personal email address and personal phone number but he knows the name of my business so even if I changed that number and email a dozen times he could still go to the website and get it again. It concerns me that getting a letter from me would be exactly the kind of thing that would start calls, which thankfully I have not gotten so far.
I do not think he knows where I live. He has never been to my house but I know from Facebook maps he has a pretty good idea and since there are no other residential complexes in the area and I had mentioned the unit number in previous conversations there is a small possibility that he could show up here but I kind of doubt that. If he did we would have the added concern of BH ending up in jail or us getting sued...
In summary, I would appreciate if someone would please explain why it is a good idea to send a NC letter since from a practical point of view I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Though I wasn't seeing it before, OM is highly unstable and I'm worried it would do more harm than good to stir things up.

Your husband, who is giving you another chance, has asked for a No Conctact letter... and you are questioning it?

FM, are you serious? Do you want to recover your marriage?

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
C
C
NC letter is a document. Its purposes are many fold, including:

Statement to your BH that you will not be in contact with OM ever again, and that you have formally requested the same of him.

Statement to OW that you wish to end your relationship, and that you wish no further contact.

Legal notice that you do not wish contact. Useful for restraining order, if required in future.

Written commitment of watershed moment in your M.

Statement to yourself of your present and future commitment to your marriage.

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.
G
G
FM, you may or may not be right about 'stirring things up,' and perhaps other vets can chime in with advice on specific text that might (or might not) make that side-effect more likely. However, please remember that you're no longer choosing from a menu of perfect options; that ship sailed when you had the affair. I'd say that you're not so far or so securely into recovery that the need to give your BH extraordinary assurance doesn't trump all other considerations. Do the letter.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
T
T
After finding out that OM keeps breaking NC. Has broken NC just two weeks ago an NC letter is not going to be stirring anything up.

Things are stirred up because the OM won't put doen the spoon.

This is a bad sign that you refuse to send a NC letter. Appears as an attempt for you to keep the OM as a back up plan.

B
B

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
My advice is to write a final letter in a way that the victimized spouse would agree to send it. It should begin with a statement of how selfish it was to cause those they loved so much pain, and while marital reconciliation cannot completely repay the offense, it's the right thing to do. A statement should be made about how much the unfaithful spouse cares about his spouse and family, and for their protection, has decided to completely end the relationship with the lover. He or she has promised never to see or communicate with the lover again in life, and asks the lover to respect that promise. Nothing should be said about how much the lover will be missed. After the letter is written, the victimized spouse should read and approve it before it is sent
here

[from SAA, pg 58]

OW, I want you to know that out of respect and love for my wife and children, I have come to realize that I must never see or talk to you again. My relationship with you was a cruel indulgence that BS did not deserve. While I cannot completely repay BS for the pain I caused her, I will do my best to become the husband she has been missing. I care a great deal for my family and I would not want to do anything to risk their happiness. I will not make any further contact with you and I do not want you to make any contact with me. Please respect my desire to end our relationship.

Sincerely, XXXXX

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

T
T
Normally you would think that as an unfaithful husband (like you I don't know all the acronyms, in fact I refuse to use them even in business) I should not be anyone to offer advice, but here's my 2 cents worth, but the advise from BrainHurts above is exactly what you must do. I don't know if you are the point where you realize the pain you caused your husband, and all your friends and family?
If you are you must know that he is everyday wondering when you are going to do this to him again.
My wife catwhit, posted above, I concur with her comments on the usefulness of the No contact letter. I sent two! The first when I was discovered the first time, if you knew me, you would think I was smart enough to realize what I had done. But mere weeks after writing the irate letter, I started up the relationship again.
I'm lucky, catwhit found out 5 months later and we had a showdown as you would imagine.
This time I knew what an idiot I'd been, given another chance and screwed up again. Catwhit's not a woman who needs me, but we both realized we are actually a great couple Together, just got off track like you did. I've said this before to catwhit ( and I know I'm going to hear about this statement from the forum) but when we got married, no one gave a "manual of how to behave" vows in church are something that's been around for hundreds of years and have lost a lot of their meaning. 15-20 years ago, divorce became so common we hardly thought about it. But if we'd all been given Dr Harley's sage advise on marriage we probably wouldn't have gotten where we are now.
Sorry for rambling, but the background is needed. In August I wrote a second No Contact letter and was very clear, same as BrainHurts text except added section related to work issues as we worked at the same place. (I've changed jobs and countries to get away) we thought all was well, but like the camel putting his nose under the tent flap, the contacts started to come again. Each time a little more, until recently I received a phone call, and without my glasses on answered it. It was the Other Woman, I was in shock, she wished catwhit and myself a happy new year, I like a fool did respond, just "OK, thanks" then hung up, but it was against my own rules for No Contact, i didn't make the call, but I made the contact by speaking.
So where am I going with this, write the No Contact letter, make it simple, but try to include all avenues that you think he may take to contact you, send a copy to you husband first and tell him why you are doing this, ask him if you think you should add anything, but try and keep it simple.
When you've agreed on the text, send it and make sure you have blocks on email and phone numbers, your swift board at work can also block his numbers, not perfect as he could try from a pay phone, but do whatever you can.
The next part takes work from you, and I am not good at this, have to set an alarm to remind myself to do it. Make a no contact agreement with your husband, that's not to have no contact with him! It's to re iterate the things you would do I case of a contact.
Call your husband 2-3 times a week and ask if you can go over your no contact agreement with him, reassure him on each point as to contacts if any(there shouldn't be, but if the other man tries you need to inform you're husband, being totally honest is what he's looking for) what you are doing here is letting your husband know, it's over and your ready to start the healing process.
I see my wife's mood elevate every time I read the Agreement through with her, of course we have something to talk about because of the phone call, but this gives us an opportunity to openly express measures going forward.
For us that means the next step, getting a lawyer in another country to write a letter asking the other woman to respect our wishes, we hope that does it!!

So put all else aside and write the no contact letter and call your husband.

Married to my last wife, for 18 years
Hoping for many more years
Me: FWH 63 yrs
She:FBW 56 yrs (Catwhit)
Discovery March 2012, and again in August 2012.
No contact since then.
Finally out of the fog!!!!
Z
Z
oh no! you cried all night about sending a no contact letter? you feel like your husband is being demanding and mean by dictating how the letter should read?

poor little mouse! it looks as if your reality is shifting and you can no longer whip your husband around like an old dishrag.

i guess it's time to think hard about whether you want to stay married or not because if you do, you're going to heave to learn how to give in ways you've never given before.

personally, i think he took you back way too quick. you think you're on top now. think again.

D
D
I agree you saving POSOM as a backup plan. That's why your so hesitant for NC

B
B
Originally Posted by zibbles
oh no! you cried all night about sending a no contact letter? you feel like your husband is being demanding and mean by dictating how the letter should read?

poor little mouse! dramaqueen it looks as if your reality is shifting and you can no longer whip your husband around like an old dishrag.

i guess it's time to think hard about whether you want to stay married or not because if you do, you're going to heave to learn how to give in ways you've never given before.

personally, i think he took you back way too quick. you think you're on top now. think again.

I actually laughed when I read she cried. Didn't want to come across insensitive but I love that icon and had to agree that the crying is really a pathetic attempt at woe is me... I have to resurrect something from the old threads.... call a WAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE!!!!!

G
G
What don't you get, FM?

What don't you get about the no-contact letter? Specifically what part of the suggested text do you object to? Please tell us, and we'll explain to you why it's important.

And what don't you get about it not being appropriate for you to have a FB account? It makes no difference whether your husband has a FB account. You eliminated FB from your life because you're committed (or so you said) to Extraordinary Precautions in order to remove conditions that facilitated your affair. Your husband didn't have an affair. He didn't form an inappropriate emotional reattachment on FB with a former ex that he ended up boinking. So he doesn't need to take Extraordinary Precautions. You do. You established a different standard for yourself & recovery when you used FB as a key means of igniting your affair. What about this don't you get?

You've been given a second chance that you (like me) didn't deserve in the first place, yet you seem willing to sabotage your own recovery because ... he can have FB and you can't? [N.B. -- I just edited out what I had originally typed in reaction to this, because what I'd originally typed was probably borderline offensive.// G.O.]

FM, you've got a lot of people here rooting for you & Mr_Aqua, but we can only show him empathy from afar. You need to do it up-close, every moment. It's not something you're born with or not born with (so no excuses for you there); rather, it's something you cultivate by practicing. Every time you say something to him, you need to first catch yourself & think, "How's this gonna sound to him? How might it make him feel?" -- and if necessary, adjust your words accordingly, before they come out of your mouth in some sequence that makes you sound selfish. There's nothing that scares him more in the whole wide world than "you" + "selfish", because he's seen & felt what that adds up to.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
V
V
Originally Posted by GloveOil
What don't you get, FM?

What don't you get about the no-contact letter? Specifically what part of the suggested text do you object to? Please tell us, and we'll explain to you why it's important.

And what don't you get about it not being appropriate for you to have a FB account? It makes no difference whether your husband has a FB account. You eliminated FB from your life because you're committed (or so you said) to Extraordinary Precautions in order to remove conditions that facilitated your affair. Your husband didn't have an affair. He didn't form an inappropriate emotional reattachment on FB with a former ex that he ended up boinking. So he doesn't need to take Extraordinary Precautions. You do. You established a different standard for yourself & recovery when you used FB as a key means of igniting your affair. What about this don't you get?

You've been given a second chance that you (like me) didn't deserve in the first place, yet you seem willing to sabotage your own recovery because ... he can have FB and you can't? [N.B. -- I just edited out what I had originally typed in reaction to this, because what I'd originally typed was probably borderline offensive.// G.O.]
I can assure you not nearly as offensive as what I wrote, thought about, then deleted.

You're incredibly selfish and demanding. Woe is me seems to be your mantra, yet you are the one that committed the atrocity of adultery.

After begging everyone for help getting him back, then get him to take you back on trial, and then you still balk at the (so far) paltry demands he is making is laughable at best. Also, it's sadly indicative of your mindset and me me me attitude.

You severely disappoint me. I actually thought you were sincere. Guess I was wrong.

ETA- You better pull your head out of your [censored] with a highly audible pop, or you will soon find yourself back to where you were living before. You've been handed the gift of a lifetime, and this is how appreciative you are of said gift??

WTH are you thinking?

(BTW, this absolutely pales by comparison to what I really want to write, and almost did.)

N
N
FM, your situation is circling the porcelain portal, and most of the folks here are so angry at your position on the NCL that they're fighting over who gets to use the plunger to finish the job.

Why? Let's put this in perspective. The MB recovery plan is marked by two characteristics.

1) It is extensive and rigorous. It is not "Day1: Start - Day2: Done". To complete the process requires commitment and investment.
2) It is virtually entirely dependent on the efforts of the principals, the spouses. No one out here claims to have the magic wand to heal the rupture(s) remotely.

So what have you given us? The first step (Well, actually, the second step after climbing out from between the sheets with the AP) is to ENTHUSIASTICALLY agree to compose and send the NCL. YOU FAILED STEP ONE. In one refusal, you basically voided any hope of constancy through the process, and your commitment to actually DO what must be done!!! You're "oh-for-frickin'-two", FM!

And to ensure that you garner NO further support here, you HIDE from us, on your own thread! After over 200 notes of support, encouragement, hand-holding, and education, the first time you hear something that differs from what you want ("Write the damn NCL!") you run away! Crying!!!

"Wow!" seems so inadequate, friend!

F
OP Offline
F
I feel a need to clarify a few things that seem to have been lost in translation between mr aqua's and my posts.
I was not up all night crying about the nc letter. I was up all night crying because of the discussions that he and I had and the unresolved nature of our issues. I agree completely with his statement that he has a much higher tolerance for these discussions than I do. I emotionally cannot handle them without a breakdown. I was not using to get sympathy, it was a physical reaction I could not control. Being kept up all night crying ( I spent most of the day while he was at work crying as well) is not fun for me. I feel awful today, I fell down the stairs because I was literally too exhausted physically and emotionally to keep it from happening and it is by the grace of God that The other person was paying attention and i didn't get into a car accident today.
The OM is not the issue. I have no intention of contacting him or conversing if he contacts me. I am not leaving the door open, my concern was completely about the fallout of the letter dealing with it causing him to contact me more. When I told him before that I chose H over him he retaliated by trying to poison H against me in a "if I can't have her I'll make us you don't want her" fashion. In taing to H last night I explained to him that i hesitated what I needed was a show of support that nothing OM could say or do would change things and that whatever he tried to do we would get through together. Instead I was met with a demand and the feeling that he felt my concerns were not important and even accused me of lying about the reason for not sending it.
I don't know how much of this is in my head, how much of it is me feeling sorry for myself, or how much is legitimate. I feel like I am having an emotional breakdown and I am too paralyzed to do anything without snapping. (Not just MB related, I broke down crying this afternoon because there was no parking when I got home from the grocery store) I know that a few people had advised before not to have too many hard discussion days in a row and we keep saying that we are going to have an enjoyable ua night and it keeps turning bad. How do I meet his ens when I feel like I can't even function for myself? I feel scared to even discuss anything because I am so physically and emotionally exhausted that I don't have the strength to try to not be selfish and to be calm and rational but not talking isnt going to help anything.

B
B
FM. Welcome to the emotional rollercoaster. Sounds like you're defogging just a little. Imagine your BH has been on the ride for a while. Actually at this point you DO need to put aside your feelings. Mr.A is justified in demanding the NCL. You should have thought of the "fall out" BEFORE you decided to hop into bed with a mentally unstable POSOM. What are you scared of? If he tries to contact you get a RO. Seriously, you are asking your BH to support you when you can't even agree to send a letter. If you start following the MB program you'll probably be less exhausted. I don't understand how you can't see that you need to do this to even begin recovery. Come back when you've written the NCL and sent it off with Mr.A's approval. Geez.

N
N
First of all: I am glad you came back here to post! THIS spot is the place to find the strength you believe you don't have within yourself.

On that line of thought: DON'T THINK! Sounds pretty bizarre, doesn't it? But right now you have zero ability to dispassionately consider your situation clearly enough to devise a plan in any way approaching the effectiveness of the MB Program.

Put your trust in the program, and in the folks here who are far enough removed from the pain and turmoil engulfing you to guide you through it.

Can you commit to that?

(And: You might want to see a doctor about getting some ADs for short-term support.)

F
OP Offline
F
We sat down and looked up his address, the envelope is all addressed and ready to go. Here is the nc letter, does anyone have advice on items that need changing or adding? We are hoping to get some advice tonight so that mr aqua can mail it on his way to work tomorrow.
Also, should it be typed or hand written or does it make a difference?

OM,
When we last spoke you gave both H and me your word that you would not contact me again. Your emails have proven that you cannot be taken for your word so please see this as my formal request to cease and desist any further attempts to contact me or H through any means, written, verbal, or otherwise.

The relationship I had with you was selfish, cruel, and hurtful to everyone I care about, especially H. I caused undue stress and pain to those who loved me and I am deeply regretful for that. H did not deserve the way I treated him and I am committed to making things right with him and repairing the damage I have done to our marriage. Out of respect and love for him, I have vowed never to come into contact with you again.

Please respect my attempt to regain my integrity and heal my family by never contacting any of us again.

Sincerely,
FM

Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 473 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation