Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 24 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 23 24
A
A
Originally Posted by AGoodGuy
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Hahahaha.

I love you all. I'm on a date with artistman right now, so I will catch you later..

Its going VERY well!

Tell him to keep his mitts off the merchandise!!! grin

And vice versa!

Oh, and don't forget to come up for air grin

AGG

B
B
Originally Posted by black_raven
I think people can be committed to one another w/o engagement or marriage. Committed by definition means entrusted. Exclusive still means one. But anyway.... laugh

See, that is where we part company, because a person is not committed until they get married.

I know we disagree on this. You said engaged was committed in your previous post but not in this one. Engaged is still not committed then. I know this discussion has gone on in other threads...we all have different definitions and could go round and round forever...that was basically my point.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
I think people can be committed to one another w/o engagement or marriage. Committed by definition means entrusted. Exclusive still means one. But anyway.... laugh

See, that is where we part company, because a person is not committed until they get married.

I know we disagree on this. You said engaged was committed in your previous post but not in this one. Engaged is still not committed then. I know this discussion has gone on in other threads...we all have different definitions and could go round and round forever...that was basically my point.

Engaged is a little committed, at best, because there has been a verbal promise, but that is not the same thing as marriage. Promises can be broken without penalty. A commitment is not demonstrated by empty words, but by a legal marriage. No one would take me seriously if I showed up at the local car dealership and told them I was "committed" to a certain car but never signed any papers. That would be just empty talk.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
Hahahaha.

I love you all. I'm on a date with artistman right now, so I will catch you later..

Its going VERY well!

And vice versa!

Oh, and don't forget to come up for air grin

AGG

Is it called a snog, snogging or snogged when you have to come up for air?

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"...... The Shawshank Redemption.
S
S
And also the important thing is Indie's definition of exclusive. Lets not forget she is in the UK and I have gotten the idea all along that she is saying one thing and many of you are hearing another.

I think Melody's take on it is the one closest to how Indie is thinking and is NOT contrary to anything Dr. Harley has to say on dating.

Second chances are wonderful. I am always happy for my friends that find a new life...especially when I feel they have done the work to see where they went wrong the first time.

L
L
erm...i don't want to peeve anyone off or anything, but maybe someone could start a committed versus exclusive thread in other topics maybe? i've just caught up on indie's thread after more than a week away (about 300 posts), and frankly, there's been very little about indie and her new life, and a whole lotta "well i think XXX means..."

in summary, indie stated very early on in my catch up that she was only going to date artistman. since then, a lot of meaningless, really, debate on semantics. indie has told us what she means. she has stated that she and artistman have an O&H understanding of that meaning. that's all that matters, in MvHO.

indie, i'm not going to bother with my opinion about your decision (unless you ask, natch!). i just want to hear what's going on with you as a newly single gal. please do come back and post.

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
M
M
Why not put those of us whose posts you don't like on ignore? Problem solved! The subject of commitment and exclusivity is very relevant to the subject, but you don't have to read our "meaningless" posts.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
ak1 Offline
A
I'm not sure why everybody is having a hard time with Indie's concept of exclusive. It seems pretty clear to me. She agreed to not parallel date while seeing Artistguy. She isn't committed to him and may decide to move on to other prospects at any time, but likes this guy enough to give him the spotlight for a while and see where it goes.

Personally I like the idea. It shows a lot of respect to Artistguy without making any real commitment.

I don't think that it will affect Indie's choices or goals that much as she is a smart cookie (one of the few that did a real plan B), the only downside I see is the disappointment Artistman will feel if she takes an interest in someone else, but then again that is the chance we all take in the dating world.

Honestly, his desire for serial dating shows some signs that he is a buyer at heart. I would be more concerned if he didn't care that she was dating others at the same time.

I think that this thread would be more useful if the focus was on how he treats Indie and if he is able to meet her needs or not as it seems kinda silly to discuss how committed she is when she has mentioned over and over that she is taking it slow, is open and perusing other prospects to date, but wants to take the time to see where this one goes.

ak

ak1 #2703827 02/01/13 05:48 AM
I
OP Offline
I
As for continuing to post, I think I have to think exactly what do I want to get out of this thread? I do very much want other people to be able to take something from my experiences. But I also need to think about myself first.

I think I have reached the point where I don�t want feedback. I'm feeling more confident about my instincts and it's too hard wearing on my feelings to have those instincts critiqued in the way they have been.

I have taken some offence at things said on this thread. But I ASKED for opinions, so I have no right to moan if I am specifically asking for it.

It's just all gotten rather personal. It was one thing when I was asking 'Should I see this random internet man this weekend if he hasn't called me yet?' It was fine getting feedback on that question.

But the issues have stepped up a gear. It is now my relationship attitude being criticised. That hurts. There is also now a RL person who I care about and am dating who will be examined and picked apart on here if I continue. I am not sure if that is something I want to invite, or if it is wise to do so.

For now, I'll answer some points, give you all an update and then I will have a really serious think about the direction I want this thread to take.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
OP Offline
I
Update:

So last night was great. When he showed up to pick me up, he brought me some chocolates. We went for a quiet drink some places where we knew we could get some talking done. I keep being very impressed, not only by his interests and insight but by his relationship attitude.

He was showing some interest in the 30 dates concept. How did it work, why had it appealed to me, was I happy with my decision to date him; he was very insightful to talk to.

He's made a point of mentioning that he hates arguing. He's been in some relationships with people who think it's 'normal and healthy' but he just hates it. I was curious what WAS his conflict resolution approach then? I feared it was conflict avoidance. No. He basically gave me a layman's description of POJA. He said he felt that people 'damage' you when they are angry. And that 'It changes something in the brain when people behave like that towards you". I said people should take the Hippocratic oath before entering a relationship: "First, do no harm" and he was very taken with that idea.

I'm seeing him tonight too. Not sure what we're doing yet. And tomorrow we're going to go look for the first snowdrops, take a few pictures and get lunch.

I reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllly like him.

I
OP Offline
I
A lightbulb just went off and I can see what AGG means. He is thinking she is flirting IN FRONT OF MRExclusive. And in that case, I would dump my date because I consider that so disrespectful to me. However, I think we can safely assume that indiegirl does not do that in his presence.

:

No that would be so rude. I am interviewing for the post of his spouse too, remember. I want to make a good impression.

In fact I am not flirting AWAY from him either. I am prepared to, am looking to and would do, but I am not finding company stimulating enough that compares to him enough to do any flirting. At this point.

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman
[
Which then raises the question of what is considered "committed?" Exclusive obviously mean different things to different people. I would imagine committed does to.

Committed means that the competition is over and she is either engaged or married. It is not over, though. She is still interviewing even though she has agreed to date this guy exclusively.

Committed is completely different from "exclusive" IMO. She can date one guy exclusively, but she is not committed to him in any sense. She is only committed to date him exclusively for a short while. On the other hand, we have a great marriage NOW so it all worked out in the end.

This is how I was seeing it as well.

yes!

I
OP Offline
I
But anyway, if indie's threatened departure is because of my questioning of her approach, I'll be happy to stay off her thread, so that she can continue. Just say the word, I don't need to be asked twice smile.

AGG

It's not you AGG, it's the way I set up the thread. Asking for feedback worked up to a point and now it doesnt feel like it is working any more.

I
OP Offline
I
Hahahaha.

Its going VERY well!

I just told him I had a good Texan friend who has lots of guns smile

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Letty
erm...i don't want to peeve anyone off or anything, but maybe someone could start a committed versus exclusive thread in other topics maybe? i've just caught up on indie's thread after more than a week away (about 300 posts), and frankly, there's been very little about indie and her new life, and a whole lotta "well i think XXX means..."

in summary, indie stated very early on in my catch up that she was only going to date artistman. since then, a lot of meaningless, really, debate on semantics. indie has told us what she means. she has stated that she and artistman have an O&H understanding of that meaning. that's all that matters, in MvHO.

indie, i'm not going to bother with my opinion about your decision (unless you ask, natch!). i just want to hear what's going on with you as a newly single gal. please do come back and post.

Thanks Lets, I did encourage the debate because I do like it normally. I am over it now!

ak1 #2703834 02/01/13 06:19 AM
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by ak1
I'm not sure why everybody is having a hard time with Indie's concept of exclusive. It seems pretty clear to me. She agreed to not parallel date while seeing Artistguy. She isn't committed to him and may decide to move on to other prospects at any time, but likes this guy enough to give him the spotlight for a while and see where it goes.

Personally I like the idea. It shows a lot of respect to Artistguy without making any real commitment.

I don't think that it will affect Indie's choices or goals that much as she is a smart cookie (one of the few that did a real plan B), the only downside I see is the disappointment Artistman will feel if she takes an interest in someone else, but then again that is the chance we all take in the dating world.

Honestly, his desire for serial dating shows some signs that he is a buyer at heart. I would be more concerned if he didn't care that she was dating others at the same time.

I think that this thread would be more useful if the focus was on how he treats Indie and if he is able to meet her needs or not as it seems kinda silly to discuss how committed she is when she has mentioned over and over that she is taking it slow, is open and perusing other prospects to date, but wants to take the time to see where this one goes.

ak

Thank you ak, that means a lot smile

K
K
As for continuing to post, I think I have to think exactly what do I want to get out of this thread? I do very much want other people to be able to take something from my experiences. But I also need to think about myself first.

I think I have reached the point where I don�t want feedback. I'm feeling more confident about my instincts and it's too hard wearing on my feelings to have those instincts critiqued in the way they have been.

I have taken some offence at things said on this thread. But I ASKED for opinions, so I have no right to moan if I am specifically asking for it.

It's just all gotten rather personal. It was one thing when I was asking 'Should I see this random internet man this weekend if he hasn't called me yet?' It was fine getting feedback on that question.

But the issues have stepped up a gear. It is now my relationship attitude being criticised. That hurts. There is also now a RL person who I care about and am dating who will be examined and picked apart on here if I continue. I am not sure if that is something I want to invite, or if it is wise to do so.

For now, I'll answer some points, give you all an update and then I will have a really serious think about the direction I want this thread to take.

I think this is all perfectly understandable. This is your thread, after all. It was the reference to a specific Harley recommendation that got everything started...

You don't have to run your dating life according to anyone. And if you don't want feedback/criticism on this particular guy, you are entitled to post to minimize the chances of that.

I'm glad you still like him.

B
B
Originally Posted by kerala
I think this is all perfectly understandable. This is your thread, after all. It was the reference to a specific Harley recommendation that got everything started...

You don't have to run your dating life according to anyone. And if you don't want feedback/criticism on this particular guy, you are entitled to post to minimize the chances of that.

I'm glad you still like him.

What she said.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
Update:

So last night was great. When he showed up to pick me up, he brought me some chocolates. We went for a quiet drink some places where we knew we could get some talking done. I keep being very impressed, not only by his interests and insight but by his relationship attitude.

He was showing some interest in the 30 dates concept. How did it work, why had it appealed to me, was I happy with my decision to date him; he was very insightful to talk to.

He's made a point of mentioning that he hates arguing. He's been in some relationships with people who think it's 'normal and healthy' but he just hates it. I was curious what WAS his conflict resolution approach then? I feared it was conflict avoidance. No. He basically gave me a layman's description of POJA. He said he felt that people 'damage' you when they are angry. And that 'It changes something in the brain when people behave like that towards you". I said people should take the Hippocratic oath before entering a relationship: "First, do no harm" and he was very taken with that idea.

I'm seeing him tonight too. Not sure what we're doing yet. And tomorrow we're going to go look for the first snowdrops, take a few pictures and get lunch.

I reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllly like him.

hurray Very happy for you!! You know who could be a great help is the poster optimism. I think he was even on the radio show with Dr Harley fine tuning his program while he was dating.

Exposure 101

I
OP Offline
I
Thanks everybody smile

Page 19 of 24 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 126 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker
71,841 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation