Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 37 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 36 37
T
T
It was the right move to expose quickly.

It was the wrong move to scream divorce quickly.

The reason is now if you do not file, your WW will of been taught that what you say about her affair will carry no wieght because you will not do as you say.

WW is addicited to her OM. Hard to break addictions.

At this point learn to control your mouth. Get an attorney to file but instruct him to stall once the filing is done.

This will serve as a wake up call.

And this is why you must you must act instead of reacting.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by TheRoad
It was the right move to expose quickly.

It was the wrong move to scream divorce quickly.

The reason is now if you do not file, your WW will of been taught that what you say about her affair will carry no wieght because you will not do as you say.

WW is addicited to her OM. Hard to break addictions.

At this point learn to control your mouth. Get an attorney to file but instruct him to stall once the filing is done.

This will serve as a wake up call.

And this is why you must you must act instead of reacting.

Amen TheRoad! I am going to make mistakes but need to show more self-control.

I am filling out D papers right now. Phone tracker still working as of this moment.

ME: BS, 37
WW: 37
DS 7 DS 5
Married 11 Years
DDay 2/4/13 EA
ILYBINILWY; 2/6/13
Nuclear Expose:2/18/13
Currently in Plan A
You have to dig DEEP right now for strength. More strength than you have ever had in your life. There is no silver bullet or magic pill.

FG, I can relate to exactly where you are at. If you read my story, you will see the progression after dday which entailed a wild swing of emotions and events from day to day. It took years for your marriage to break down and it will take a long time for it to heal again (if it ever does).

Most likely, your WW sees no hope for your M. In her fog, she has rewritten history and most likely made you the villain in her mind. She has been dealing with the reality of her A for some time now. As a newly BS one difficult issue to deal with it the newness to you of her SSL. She has had time to deal with her reality while on the other hand it is all fresh to you.

SLOW DOWN. You are doing great. You really are. I like the way you stand up for yourself and said hey I am not going to take this abuse. Earning her respect and love back is a LONG process. Her love for you did not evaporate over night and will not return quickly either. This is a reality you must accept. It will take time for that love to die for the OM and return to you.

Most A�s die a natural death. Would your first choice be for her to come running back to your arms and denounce this POSOM? Of course! However this is unlikely. Most likely, it will continue for a while. Hard to swallow but reality.

You can only control YOU. YOU CANNOT CONTROL HER. Once I really said to myself �hey, whatever the outcome of this, I am going to become the best person I can be for myself and my children. If this M goes to D, it will be 100% on her because I did my absolute best each and every day�. It is REALLY hard to get to that place mentally because I would guess you want her more than you have ever wanted her in your life.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Make her miss you. Be SUPER nice and gracious while letting this POSOM know it will be more trouble than it is worth to mess with you and your family. Stand your ground on what you will and will not accept while following MB principles of not love busting and trying to make LB deposits any chance you get. All I can tell you is that it worked for me.

What are your other options? D might be a good option for you BUT it may or may not be your best option. Your call. If you want to win her back.. She needs HOPE right now. Hope that you will change, Hope that she will be happy with you. Hope that you can actually love her again.

I made a rule for myself to sleep before making any major decision. There will be hundreds of moments over the upcoming months that you will want to D her..and the next you will want your M more than anything else. I have learned that these moments come and then they go. I had to learn to 'ride the waves' both good and bad..hey, I still do.

It is amazing how pillow time can change perspective the following morning.

P
P

The first step is to KILL the affair.

Expose the continued contact to your wife's parents.
Expose POSOM OM continued contact with a married woman.
Expose skank neighbor.

Then sit down and devise your plan like a warrior. Knee jerk reactions are not in your best interests.

Affairs are an addiction. Once you start to see your wife as an addict, you will understand what is really going on and what you need to do. Remember that you are the only sane person left to protect your kids...for now anyways.

I am praying for your family.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

M
M
Originally Posted by Floridaguy
I am filling out D papers right now. Phone tracker still working as of this moment.

Phone tracker still works perhaps because she thinks you used another method, like logging in to the cell phone account online and simply refreshing constantly.

OR

She knows her cell phone isn't going to work anymore so she'll just use her mom and dads cell phone or home phone to call. IF she calls OM at all.

Your wife showed up yesterday and faced your family KNOWING they knew it all. Everybody was kind to her. It was confusing. It was tremendously confusing to her because she knows in her mind how awful she is thinking about you and treating you. It troubles her because she knows she doesn't deserve your/their kindness. She wants to be happy and perhaps she started to FEEL happy and loving towards you and your family yesterday which is in direct opposition to the way she thought/told herself she felt the last few months as she justified/rationalized leaving you...not loving you...rewriting your history...etc. It would have been EASIER for her if your family yelled at her and tried to harass her into conversations. But instead they LOVED HER. She was uncomfortable so she left and tried to call neighbor to talk her down but she wasn't available so she contacted someone she thinks she trusts (OM) to help her process whats going on in her life. [it'll be interesting if she just found out you contacted OM and told him to leave your wife alone or if she's known awhile).

Meet your attorney. Do the paperwork if you must...but you COULD consider an option such as sitting down with the inlaws and telling them what you intend to do unless she moves back home, commits to "no contact" for life with OM AND neighbor (which makes the neighborhood a bit uncomfortable) and commits to a marital recovery plan OR you'll just file the paperwork you've got ready. Just giving you an option that makes it appear you are following through on what you said you were going to do yesterday while still giving her another shot before you actually file.

[this option is complicated by the fact you've got a tremendous advantage going into a Plan B AND into any custody dispute having the marital home to yourself with her out already.]

IF you file...think twice before asking for 50-50 because she may counter asking for 90-10. You may be best suited requesting full custody with supervised visitation and negotiating from there.

Mr. Wondering

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
N
N
FG, it was a mistake to reveal your intel source. It was a mistake to threaten "D".

Sadly, it would now be a mistake NOT to follow through.

You are going to require WW to put heavy reliance on everything you say, from here out. That would be true of negative positions ("Continued contact with OM will have consequences!"), and positive positions ("If you commit to work on this marriage, we can succeed.")

Proceed with the filing. It is not a guarantee of dissolution, but it will be an indicator of your fidelity to your own words.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by pokerface

Expose skank neighbor.

I just sent this to IL's

Dear Mom and Dad,

First, I want to thank you for your unconditional support and love these past 15 or so years. You both have never felt like In Law�s but rather a real Mom and Dad. You welcomed me into your family with open arms and I will be forever grateful for this. I clearly remember the night that I walked up your front steps and into the living room to ask for Dad�s permission for his only daughter�s hand in marriage. Trembling and holding back the tears of emotion because I not only loved your daughter but loved you both so much.

I also remember watching Dad, walking down the aisle, so proud with [sic] by his side and giving me his daughter�s hand in marriage. Our vows have meant everything to me. I am trying to be the man that you expected that day, and to do the best for his daughter and our family. And to set an example for our two young men who must know how a MAN, how a HUSBAND, must do whatever he can to protect his family.

Yesterday, I found that [sic] is still carrying on her affair with [sic]. She will tell you �NO� this is not true but I am happy to provide you the proof for YOUR OWN eyes to see. She continues to listen to [sic], who only wants [sic] to break from her family, so they can go out all night together like in the past without any consequences of their actions. I would hope that you would not enable [sic] by allowing her reckless behavior to affect our children or family.

No matter what happens please know that I intend to always maintain a friendly relationship with you as well as allowing and promoting a relationship with our children and their Nonna and Pop Pop. [sic] is still a married woman, and has retreated to your home with the intentions to carry on her affair with another man. When she is a single woman I will have no say or reason to think these actions are wrong. But she is still a married woman. I hope that you will offer her the guidance that she needs to make the proper decisions for her and her family�s future.

Love,

[sic]

DS 7 DS 5
Married 11 Years
DDay 2/4/13 EA
ILYBINILWY; 2/6/13
Currently in Plan A
F
F
Hello everyone, this is Floridaguys Mom. First let me say a huge THANK YOU to everyone with their words of wisdom and prayers. Keep them coming as it�s going to be a long and painful journey. It took us a while to get the jargon down and as we talk to our son, we are starting to actually understand it all. After reading and rereading the post about the Lighthouse, I knew it was time to chime in.
After almost 40 years of marriage, we understand that it has always been Love and Compromise or what you refer to as Love deposits and withdraws that has seen us through. Don�t get me wrong, we have our battles, but at the end of the day, in my husband�s smile I can always rest a while and oh by the way, he still makes my hands sweat. Above everything else, this is what we had hoped for our son and daughter in law, so whatever happens he will be the Lighthouse. We have seen a positive change in him. He is more attentive. The last several days while those waves were crashing (some of them by his own doing), he has been strong and has tried to win the WW back. He�s put himself out there. It�s painful to see him hurting, but I knew he�ll get through it. Last night was just a small crack and it�s time for some repair. He needs to focus on being the Dad he always has been and getting himself healthy. Not just for those boys, but for himself.
Now for the WW, you talk about the Fog. Sorry, I don�t buy it. I believe this was her plan all along to move out as soon as her parents moved down here, but my son just happen to see what was happening and exposed it a bit sooner. You don�t just wake up one morning and say I�m not in love with you anymore. She claims she has been unhappy for a long time. Really, not buying that either, as this past summer they were talking about having another child. If you were that unhappy, why bring another child into an unhappy household? We all make choices and you live with those, good, bad or ugly. No regrets as those are only lessons learned, no do overs and you can only move forward. Hopefully, in time, she will grow up and spend less time worrying about someone else making her feel good and learn how to be happy with who you are. You can�t change or control what someone is feeling, only how you feel.
For us, we will continue to support whatever he does through love and comforting and he knows no matter what, we will always be there. That�s what Family is.

Last edited by FloridaguysMom; 03/04/13 10:42 AM.
P
P

That is beautiful Floridaguy.

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

A
A
Floridaguysmom,

If you really would like to understand the dynamic in your son's marriage, get and read the book, "Surviving an Affair".

You are one great mom.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
P
P
Long ago, we started using The Art Of War (ancient book by Sun Tzu. Look it up) , as a sort of guide for Plan A strategy.

*** Here is the link to the thread ***

Because, YOU are "at war" with the adultery, not your spouse.

Warfare is the Tao of deception.
Thus:
Although you are capable, display incapability.
When committed to employing your forces, feign inactivity.
When your objective is nearby, make it appear distant; when distant, create the illusion of being nearby.
Display profits to entice them.
Create disorder in their forces and take them.
If they are substantial, prepare for them.
If they are strong, avoid them.
If they are angry, perturb them.
Be deferential to foster their arrogance.
If they are rested, force them to exert themselves.
If they are united, cause them to be separated.
Attack where they are unprepared.
Go forth where they will not expect it.
These are the ways military strategists are victorious. They cannot be spoken of in advance.

Force is the control of the balance of power, in accordance with advantages.

In Plan A ... the BS restores their power to affect change. Plan A gives the BS an advantage with their intimate knowledge of their spouse's ENs.

Warfare is the Way of deception.

Deception meaning .... showing more strength than you might possess at that given time ! Hiding your weaknesses. Plan A ... not begging, crying, pleading ... standing tall and presenting a self ready to battle & fight for the marriage.

Therefore, if able, appear unable,

Plan A ... let your WS provide you with things that save your energy for future need.

if active, appear not active,

When snooping about like a squirrel searching for seeds of the affair, appear calm & serene ... Plan A snooping is done quietly & without announcing >>> "Ah-Ha ... Look what I found !". Be stealth.

if near, appear far,

Plan A ... keep your WS guessing where you are.

if far, appear near.

What seems just out of reach is sometimes more attractive. What seems a sure thing, is taken for granted.

If they have advantage, entice them;

Offer the WS goodies ... as in meet their ENs.

if they are confused, take them,

Plan A is confusing to the WS. They would prefer the BS appear ugly & unattractive in order to justify their cheating. It is confusing for the WS to see an attractive BS.

if they are substantial, prepare for them,

Plan A ... get all your ducks lined up. Legal preparations. Financial preparations. Spiritual preparations. Etc.

if they are strong, avoid them,

Plan A is not plan doormat. They can wipe their feet elsewhere, but not on your back. Accepting abuse is not an attractive trait.

if they are angry, disturb them,

LOL .... this is precicely Orchid's "reverse babble" .... The WS speaks with foggy tongue, disturb them with O's reverse babble.

if they are humble, make them haughty,

If the WS is over-confident, they become sloppy & make errors.

if they are relaxed, toil them,

Keeping an affair going is exhausting to the WS. It's like a juggling act. Throw the WS another ball to keep in the air. The affair will fall when the juggler becomes exhausted by the added effort.

if they are united, separate them.

Do not become the fool that encourages both the WS and the OP to join forces. If you act insane during Plan A, they have a common enemy to fight ~~~> YOU !

Attack where they are not prepared, go out to where they do not expect.

Do the UNexpected in Plan A. Keep the WS guessing & wondering.

This specialized warfare leads to victory, and may not be transmitted beforehand.

Do not give away your plans.... do not show the WS your books. Do not invite the WS to this site. Stealth.

Before doing battle, in the temple one calculates and will win, because many calculations were made

Plan ... you must have a Plan or you will suffer & be defeated.

before doing battle, in the temple one calculates and will not win, because few calculations were made

Don't waste time flailing about .... get organized & recruit helpers.

many calculations, victory, few calculations, no victory, then how much less so when no calculations

Do not proceed by your feelings alone. Develop your plan.

By means of these, I can observe them, beholding victory or defeat!

The BS who refuse to develop & follow a plan, are most likely to fail.

An emotional outburst, a non-caculated decision/action will lose the battle, and possibly the war.

P
P
Originally Posted by FloridaguysMom
Now for the WW, you talk about the Fog. Sorry, I don�t buy it. I believe this was her plan all along to move out as soon as her parents moved down here, but my son just happen to see what was happening and exposed it a bit sooner. You don�t just wake up one morning and say I�m not in love with you anymore. She claims she has been unhappy for a long time.

Exactly. The fog is what enables someone to justify their own selfish and hurtful actions. It keeps them from seeing the hurt and devastation that their own choices are causing and allows them to re-write history and manipulate things to make themselves feel justified in what they are doing. That is the only way they can look themselves in the mirror.

I love you mom. I wish we had more mothers like you around here.

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by armymama
Floridaguysmom,

If you really would like to understand the dynamic in your son's marriage, get and read the book, "Surviving an Affair".

You are one great mom.

AM

Thanks armymama!

Mom - it's on the coffee table in the living room under neath His Needs Her Needs. I have read it twice already and really hits home.

DS 7 DS 5
Married 11 Years
DDay 2/4/13 EA
ILYBINILWY; 2/6/13
Currently in Plan A
J
J
Florida Mom,
Thanks for the input.
I understand you dont buy into the fog.
However Dr Harley has counseled 50,000 people and is a national expert on marriages and affairs.

This is your sons life and I understand you want him to be happy.

Please do not try to control this situation.
Please support him in his efforts to follow the advice of Dr Harley.

P
P
Hello everyone, this is Floridaguys Mom. First let me say a huge THANK YOU to everyone with their words of wisdom and prayers. Keep them coming as it�s going to be a long and painful journey. It took us a while to get the jargon down and as we talk to our son, we are starting to actually understand it all. After reading and rereading the post about the Lighthouse, I knew it was time to chime in.

Hi sista'. Welcome aboard.

After almost 40 years of marriage, we understand that it has always been Love and Compromise or what you refer to as Love deposits and withdraws that has seen us through. Don�t get me wrong, we have our battles, but at the end of the day, in my husband�s smile I can always rest a while and oh by the way, he still makes my hands sweat.

loveheart

Above everything else, this is what we had hoped for our son and daughter in law, so whatever happens he will be the Lighthouse.

Not always easy to be the lighthouse. Sometimes my own adult children make me want to be the baseball bat. RESIST the urge. wink

We have seen a positive change in him. He is more attentive. The last several days while those waves were crashing (some of them by his own doing), he has been strong and has tried to win the WW back. He�s put himself out there. It�s painful to see him hurting, but I knew he�ll get through it.

I know it was difficult for my in-laws and my parents to watch us as we muddled through the horribleness of Mr Pep's adultery. The best thing they did was to be there to listen. Many years later, my Mom told us just how proud she was of how we "worked things through". It must have been difficult for Mom not to pick up the baseball bat and "aim low". naughty

Last night was just a small crack and it�s time for some repair. He needs to focus on being the Dad he always has been and getting himself healthy. Not just for those boys, but for himself.

Exactly! When this all shakes out, your son will have learned how to dig deep inside himself and make difficult decisions with integrity. It's a process. We always use the AA motto: "Progress, not perfection" , as a goal.

Now for the WW, you talk about the Fog. Sorry, I don�t buy it.

When I first arrived on MB, I felt exactly the same way !!!
Wait and read. I will soon link some wayward fog for you to laugh at. I will start a new thread here direct to you.

I believe this was her plan all along to move out as soon as her parents moved down here, but my son just happen to see what was happening and exposed it a bit sooner. You don�t just wake up one morning and say I�m not in love with you anymore.

Yes. We understand. The "comparison effect" to the OM is what makes that wayward fog stupidity possible.

She claims she has been unhappy for a long time.

They all say the same thing. We call it the wayward script.

Really, not buying that either, as this past summer they were talking about having another child. If you were that unhappy, why bring another child into an unhappy household?

This was before the "comparison effect".

For us, we will continue to support whatever he does through love and comforting and he knows no matter what, we will always be there. That�s what Family is.

kiss

Last edited by Pepperband; 03/04/13 11:26 AM.
Now for the WW, you talk about the Fog. Sorry, I don�t buy it. I believe this was her plan all along to move out as soon as her parents moved down here, but my son just happen to see what was happening and exposed it a bit sooner. You don�t just wake up one morning and say I�m not in love with you anymore.

You are exactly right. Most likely she has had this plan in place for a long time. So did my FWW. She had all her finances detailed in writing, potential apartments to move into once she left me�the whole nine yards. She had mentally checked out of the M.

However this was AFTER she started her A. Sure she was unhappy for a long time but the A itself was the conduit to her exit to the M.

But, guess what? If you ask her today where her mind was at the time she would confirm 100% she was in an A fog. Absolutely. NO question about it. That is why the advice here it to address HER reality of her life today. It is designed to kill the A first and then and only then (after a period of withdraw and most likely depression) she will start to see reality more clearly.

Until that contact is cut off for good with POSOM, there is no hope for your son�s M. R cannot start until this happens and she crashes and burns.

B
B
Hi FG's mom! I'll chime in with the rest and say that you are absolutely wonderful for supporting your son during this painful time in his life.

"The fog" is just a term used to describe the state of mind of a wayward spouse. If I could simplify it I would say it's about being selfish. To use Harley terminology, the Taker is fully in control. It doesn't mean that the person is somehow incapacitated or inculpable for their actions. It just means that all their thoughts and actions come from a place where they think only of themelves. As a result it begins to distort their view of reality... eg. FG's loveletter, which I am sure was filled with wonderful platitudes of his love and desire to have a complete family with her could simply not be that, because it would go against her notion that he doesn't care about her. Said notion justifies her selfish behaviour of moving out to pursue a single life.

I hope that helps you understand.. when we say "fog" we are not trying to excuse your wayward DIL from any of her actions.

Me BW: 30
WH: 33
P
P
Take your time .... and *think*

The Art Of War does not advise rash decisions.

The following post was written by Schoolbus.

Originally Posted by schoolbus
mirror,

Let's say you decide to divorce your wife. What can you expect to go through?

You will experience a rollercoaster of emotions. For the first few days and weeks after d-day (the day you discovered the affair), you will have moment-to-moment emotional swings the likes of which you have never before encountered in your life.

Your mood will go from crying, to melancholy, to zoned-out, to desperation, to panic, to hopeful, to elation, to anger, to resentment, to depression, to mania, to despair, and back again - and all in the course of an hour sometimes.

One day can seem like an eternity, and the next can fly by so fast you didn't realize it happened. You might feel like you are losing your mind, because your wayward spouse can say something that sounds almost logical, yet you know it is a lie - but you want to believe it. Inside your heart, you know that your WS is "in there" somewhere, and you might get glimpses of that person you once knew, and when you do you so desire to trust that glimpse, and then the rug is pulled out from under you again. You see what you believe is truth, you don't trust it, you forget things, you look back over your past and wonder "was that REAL, or was that fake?".

As the weeks go by, you find out enough information about the affair that you begin to piece your world back together, at least some of it. You wonder if what you know is true. You wonder if you should reconcile, or if you should walk away. You want to reconcile some of the time, and at other times you think you should throw in the towel and just be done with the whole darn mess. Maybe everyone would be better off if the marriage was over. Five minutes later, or the next day, you wonder what you were thinking, and you believe that the marriage should be recovered, and start thinking about ways to work on that.

After three months or so, you wonder about how the marriage ended up where it was. That initial shock is over, and you have figured out that the blame for the affair itself really isn't on the betrayed spouse - it belongs to the WS. Some of the pieces of the marital problems belong to the BS, others to the WS. You begin to pick up the pieces that belong to you.

As the months pass, you hit the six month mark, and around then you begin to be angry again. You get good and mad, because as a BS, you wonder why YOU have to deal with the fallout of the affair, you have to deal with the pain, and why the WAYWARD seems to go along, LA-LA-LA-LA-LA and seems to just skate away unscathed?????? How does this happen, after the nuclear bomb that WS dropped in the marriage?????

And the rollercoaster of emotions seems to have hills and valleys still, but they are not moment-to-moment, but more like you have up days and down days, or perhaps weekly. Maybe certain things trigger you, perhaps that restaurant you know the affair couple went to, or that shirt you know the WS wore on the movie date that one night when they said they were going to work late.

You hate movies, or you are more careful about choosing them, because you now realize just how many of them have affair themes, affairs included in the plots, or have jokes about affair sex or casual affair scenes in them.

You lose many friends, because you just do not want to deal with people who are cheating on their spouses, or in affair marriages (affairages). You can't hang out with them anymore, because it makes you hurt to the very core of your soul. From your own lips, you hear yourself cursing movie stars and others who openly and cavalierly betray their marriages.

There is a pain you carry, deep inside your body. The pain does not leave you. When you awaken in the morning, it is there before you open your eyes, and greets you as your first thought: "Your spouse betrayed you. You still feel this hurt, and it is embedded in your soul. Some of the pain has been shaved away overnight, but not so much that you might feel the difference." When you close your eyes at night, you know that thought will be your last: "Try to sleep, your love has killed your heart, it hurts........."

And in your dreams, you know that the pain will also echo there.

Know that this will be the scenario, for about two years. The pain and the mood swings and the triggers - they fade over time. They do. It takes time, and work, to get yourself to the point where you can go to sleep and wake up and it NOT be your last thought and your first thought. It does change over time.

About two years, if you decide to divorce your wife.
That means, she will not be there to help you get through this. You are on your own.

Now, if you decide to recover your marriage?????

Same scenario as above. Because the emotional deal is the SAME, either way. You will still hurt. There is no getting around that. You will still have to go through the recovery cycle.

The difference is that if you divorce, you deal with the court issues, separating "stuff", legal paperwork, attorneys, money/finances, all of that. And you do it alone.

My advice is for you NOT to decide on divorce for at least six months. Mainly because you will change your mind so many times between now and then - just because of the rollercoaster ride. And if you do decide to divorce six months from now, there would be a more thoroughly though-out decision made at that point. At least that works in your favor, and allows things to cool off.

If you remain married, you work on your issues as a couple. Your wife and you focus on what went wrong, fulfilling your emotional needs together, she works on making restitution to you, you rebuild the marriage as a new one with the rules you jointly create to protect it from affairs in a better way. MB gives you the plans.

But either way, it is a long, hard road to recover from what has happened. You have a difficult choice to make.

My husband has had five affairs (of varied types), and I had a one-night stand (over 35 years ago). We are recovered. It IS possible to repair a marriage, to fall in love again, and to make your relationship work. Start with the foundation of love, and rebuild from there. I am not saying it is EASY. Worthwhile things are seldom easy.

But they are worthwhile.

Schoolbus

Here is a link to the original thread !

It is not a great idea to make life changing decisions under the influence of roller coaster emotions. Or anxiety. Or depression. Or fear. Or anger. Or indecision. Or confusion.

Sometimes, circumstances during a spouse's affair may be so dire that a decision must be made "pronto", in order to protect the family from some type of imminent danger ... But even that decision is made based on FACTS, not emotions.

The decision to divorce will not protect anyone from the pain.
The pain will be there either way.
And, that's the point.

Divorce is sometimes a solution.
But, divorce is not the "off switch" to the pain.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Pepperband; 03/04/13 11:25 AM.
M
M
You really should post these letters BEFORE sending them. Ultimately this is YOUR life and your responsibility so taking our advice as we sit comfortably at home arm-chair quarterbacking the situation only has risk for you but bouncing around some ideas could really help tidy up these communications. It's too late to fix this by letter (don't revise it and resend as that makes you appear wishy-washy) but perhaps a conversation with fil is at hand and this letter laid some groundwork for him to think about beforehand.

Thoughts below in red

Originally Posted by Floridaguy
Originally Posted by pokerface

Expose skank neighbor.

I just sent this to IL's

Dear Mom and Dad,

First, I want to thank you for your unconditional support and love these past 15 or so years. You both have never felt like In Law�s but rather a real Mom and Dad. You welcomed me into your family with open arms and I will be forever grateful for this. I clearly remember the night that I walked up your front steps and into the living room to ask for Dad�s permission for his only daughter�s hand in marriage. Trembling and holding back the tears of emotion because I not only loved your daughter but loved you both so much.

I also remember watching Dad, walking down the aisle, so proud with [sic] by his side and giving me his daughter�s hand in marriage. Our vows have meant everything to me. I am trying to be the man that you expected that day, and to do the best for his daughter and our family. And to set an example for our two young men who must know how a MAN, how a HUSBAND, must do whatever he can to protect his family.

Yesterday, I found that [sic] is still carrying on her affair with [sic]. She will tell you �NO� this is not true but I am happy to provide you the proof for YOUR OWN eyes to see. She continues to listen to [sic], who only wants [sic] to break from her family, so they can go out all night together like in the past without any consequences of their actions. I would hope that you would not enable [sic] by allowing her reckless behavior to affect our children or family.

[I'd suggest respectfully asking/telling them exactly what you want/expect them to do. They, too, aren't experienced in how to handle this situation properly and absent you telling them what to do (as her husband) they can't fully be held accountable for disrespecting you or enabling the affair. They'll just be like, "Sorry...but we didn't know what to do?". YOU...as her husband has to take charge. Then they can choose as adults to respect you in the role they FREELY GAVE YOU or not.]

No matter what happens please know that I intend to always maintain a friendly relationship with you as well as allowing and promoting a relationship with our children and their Nonna and Pop Pop. [sic] is still a married woman, and has retreated to your home with the intentions to carry on her affair with another man. When she is a single woman I will have no say or reason to think these actions are wrong. But she is still a married woman. I hope that you will offer her the guidance that she needs to make the proper decisions for her and her family�s future.

I think you are being far too diplomatic. Reality is...divorce is acrimonious. It DOES split up families. Your wife (and inlaws) need to know you most likely won't be hanging around them anymore, at least, not when your ex-wife is hanging around (they COULD certainly choose to not include her in things). They (ww and inlaws) should be aware that you subscribe to the notion of parallel parenting which is appropriate in high conflict divorce situations. Parallel Parenting in Plan B This means you most likely won't actually be seeing your inlaws all that often. Sure they will still see the grandkids when your wife has custody but every other holiday they'll be with you and your family. Separate birthday parties, etc. It's going to suck and their daughter is causing this.

Looking back just now before submitting you may have accomplished what I said if you'd just said you "HOPE" for a continued familial friendship going forward as if that relationship TRULY is at risk based upon their choices. They are adults and responsible for their choices. She's your wife...they shouldn't be protecting her or enabling her whatsoever. I understand and sympathize (who wouldn't want to help their children) but it's not right.

Love,

[sic]

Last edited by MrWondering; 03/04/13 11:57 AM.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
Page 12 of 37 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (SadNewYorker), 98 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker
71,841 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation