Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Wow777 #2714093 03/21/13 11:20 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Wow777
Serenity

I've been following your thread since the beginning and wanted to offer my perspective.

It sounds like you and your husband have a really good marriage. You seem to be following a lot of the principals recommended by Dr. H and you generally seem very happy together.

I can understand your concerns about the feeling that you may not have as many "special unique together moments" as H may have had in his prior life, before you came into his life (and completed it). You long for something that you can call your own, something not previously shared by another woman. This is what I have been meaning. Thank you for putting it so succinctly.

These things can eat away at you if you let them. The best that you can do, IMHO, is to brainstorm with your husband, and find something thats new. Then do it, take plenty of pictures, and find the next thing to do together. This is the spice in our lives, to find great things to do together and create a great life together. Continue doing this until you find all of the things that bring spice to you lives. (I'll bet none of the other women went skydiving with him, maybe bungee jumping too).

Now a question for you. What if you dont find anything new to share with him? Will that change your life? Make you less happy with him?

I do not think it will cause any problems if I can not find something. The past 2 days of trying to understand my feelings and talking to people has actually made the majority of the feeling fade. I am hopeful that as I was fully aware of this before and had no problems that as time goes on it will be pretty much the same. If not well, we will cross that bridge when we get to it. No use worrying on what has yet to be.

W
W
What do you think of something as exciting as skydiving or bungee jumping? Maybe a balloon ride? Flying lessons are great too. You dont have to finish and get the license if you cant afford it but learning something like that together is a ton of fun.

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
3 kids - DS19, DS17, DS12
Wow777 #2714101 03/21/13 11:38 AM
M
M
Welcome to MB Serenity13!

I see you have been through the 20 questions game .. gotten some advice and such. It seems you also have a great marriage and your hubby seems very open as do you.

YOu did the ENQ i see ... have you done the Lovebusters Questionnaires to learn about what makes each other upset or frusterated? Have you done the recreational inventory to see if there is any activites each of you has yet to do as a first together? Have you done the personal history questionnaire to really understand your histories?

Its possible that your feelings are related to not knowing everything about your hubbies past because you keep finding things he has already done? I bet you have a high need for openess and honesty (in top 5) and part of your frusteration is stemming from that.

here is a link to the other questionnaires i mentioned above

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi4502_lbq.html - Love busters questionnaire

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi4503_phq.html - Personal History Questionnaire

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi4505_rei.html - Recreational Inventory

MNG

M
M
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
YOu did the ENQ i see ... have you done the Lovebusters Questionnaires to learn about what makes each other upset or frusterated? Have you done the recreational inventory to see if there is any activites each of you has yet to do as a first together? Have you done the personal history questionnaire to really understand your histories?

Maybe those things can be the "1" thing you've done with him that he hasn't done with the others. And what a special thing it is seeing those other marriages didn't last. This one looks like it has an outstanding chance of lasting a lifetime and what better way to ensure that then to perform some exercises and develop other behaviors that will ensure it does. (Hence why we were very focused on EPs)

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
MrAlias #2714113 03/21/13 12:41 PM
B
B
Have you seen this?
Historical Honesty

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

P
P
Did your relationship with your husband start while he was divorcing? I'm asking, because that would explain a lot of your anxiety.

A
A
Originally Posted by Serenity13
Originally Posted by SusieQ
Can you tell us the years of his marriages, including yours?

1st marriage- 13/14 years- no affairs on either end
2nd marriage- 7/8 years- multiple affairs on her end
Our marriage- almost 9 years- no affairs on either end

That is a minimum of 30ish years and not including after a divorce. How old is your husband? Do any of these marriages overlap (ie dating when separated).

alis #2714389 03/22/13 01:22 PM
N
N
I would focus on ENs right now. My guess is that things were okay but not great, so when this thing came and took a bite out of the love bank, there weren't enough good feelings left to compensate. This idea didn't come out of thin air, right? Something that had nagged at you every now and then before, but you dismissed it as "no big deal" because there was enough good there to compensate?

Have you looked at the RC Inventory lately? That would be a great way to find some new RC ideas to try that maybe you two haven't done with anyone else. And it sounds like you both really liked the weekend away together, maybe that would be the perfect way to put this dilemma into perspective.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 377 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation