Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 25 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 24 25
D
DBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Believe it or not, leaving will kill this affair FASTER. So don't worry about that. I don't think she really will leave, but if she does, the affair will crumble faster.

This is what I needed to hear. been thinking it, but sacred to death of it.

I have an outstanding defense Attorney, I will contact him for leads.

Dad is out state, but i will have him call OM parents.

Me and few kids will visit too--great idea.

What do you think about calling the OM's work on Monday and requesting a meeting with him? If he accepts I'd just go in and tell him he needs to stop all contact. I think being on campus will un-nerve everyone there. Even if I just call, it will send waves through the place for a second week in a row. Thoughts???

Should I send the OM a pic of he and WW together? With something like "This needs to stop. Comms lead to meetings. Back away and give our marriage the space it deserves. 0 comms period."

You rock Mel--thanks so much.

Me: BH 42
Her: WW 41
Married 23 years
D-Day March 2, 2013
E-Day April 8, 2013
5 Kids ages 16-22, 3 boys & 2 girls
D
DBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Herb--I think like you.

Like i need to save some feelings for the 6 mos-1 year it will take for the affair to crash. She is extracting massive withdrawals...I don't want to stop loving her..but I feel it starting.

The books aid you will actually feel better in B, but a lot of posts/stories on hear make it sound like a hotter level of hell.

I hold out hope that the game has been played well and the affair will crash in 6 months--right or wrong--that is the hope I hold to.

Still, I will work Plan A as long as it makes sense, but i reckon the next big thing for me is to just let her go/be willing to let her leave.

Heck, I am just balling while I type this.

Married 23 years
D-Day March 2, 2013
E-Day April 8, 2013
P
P
A well worded "lawyer letter" sent to OM's employer ... sounds good to me.

P
P
Originally Posted by MTW

Have you spoken to your physician about help for anxiety/depression?
Part of Plan A is self care. A LARGE part.
Do not neglect your "TAKER" .... Your Taker will eventually disrupt your Plan A unless you follow the self care rule.

This talk about "physical self help towards OM" is your TAKER revving up to ambush your Plan A for your own satisfaction.

Take heed.

Last edited by Pepperband; 04/13/13 11:26 AM.
H
H
Hang in there, brother!

I can tell you that you are doing much better than I did, and much quicker in your actions, than I...

The cracks in the fantasy bubble are there, and will continue to grow.

Keep the heat on as NG suggests...and do anything Mel or Pep or Marital direct you to...

M
M
Originally Posted by MTW
[

Dad is out state, but i will have him call OM parents.

Me and few kids will visit too--great idea.

Go visit his parents TODAY. Don't wait.

What do you think about calling the OM's work on Monday and requesting a meeting with him? If he accepts I'd just go in and tell him he needs to stop all contact. I think being on campus will un-nerve everyone there. Even if I just call, it will send waves through the place for a second week in a row. Thoughts???

That might be good, but FIRST go tell your wife NOW you are seeing an attorney next week about bringing a lawsuit against the OM's company. Are you an A of A state?
Start feeding information to your wife that scares the OM.

Should I send the OM a pic of he and WW together? With something like "This needs to stop. Comms lead to meetings. Back away and give our marriage the space it deserves. 0 comms period."

You rock Mel--thanks so much.

Forward the email to the OM and cc his boss, his parents and tell him he needs to leave your wife alone and stop pursing her!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
Are you an A of A state?

If not mistaken, he answered this earlier.
No.
"No fault".
I think he said Arizona.

M
M
hmmm, apparently, adultery is ILLEGAL in the state of Arizona!!! http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ail-time-under-states-anti-adultery-law/

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Arizona Revised Statute 13-1408

A. A married person who has sexual intercourse with another than his or her spouse, and an unmarried person who has sexual intercourse with a married person not his or her spouse, commits adultery and is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor. When the act is committed between parties only one of whom is married, both shall be punished.

Exposure 101

D
DBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Originally Posted by MTW

Do not neglect your "TAKER" ....

I am scared to death of them. My brother went suicidal. I drink 4 beers and the whole world is fine.

I feel like the exercising is for me, to give back to me.

I have people checking in with me almost everyday, sharing the load a little.

Married 23 years
D-Day March 2, 2013
E-Day April 8, 2013
M
M
Originally Posted by mmmherb
Here is where mine and your stories are different enough that I feel a little shaky in advising you. But, I don't think Plan B necessarily has to be immediate. But I think, for me anyway, that the hurt and giant cuts that the situation would make in me would likely make it a necessity pretty soon.

Understand what it is. It is not a tactic to make her change, to save the marriage. It is to save you, your health and state of mind, allowing to slow down the draining of the love you are feeling, extending it as long as possible.

This is great advice from Herb. Plan B may be necessary at some point. It all depends on your state of mind. Some need to go in sooner rather than later.

Exposure 101

D
DBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Profile name changed.

Dad set up to call OM parents tonight. He will probably call the OM too.

Me and 2 Daughters headed to see OM parents now.

Message left with a laywer I trust in the area.

Will send the email to OM work and boss 1st thing Monday am.

Thanks again for the support.

Married 23 years
D-Day March 2, 2013
E-Day April 8, 2013
M
M
Way to go!!! Saying prayers for you, my friend. hurray

Exposure 101

P
P
Originally Posted by DBD
Profile name changed.

Dad set up to call OM parents tonight. He will probably call the OM too.

Me and 2 Daughters headed to see OM parents now.

Message left with a laywer I trust in the area.

Will send the email to OM work and boss 1st thing Monday am.

Thanks again for the support.

F-bombs in your future.
Wear your helmet.
Maybe your haz-mat suit.

F
F
Hi DBD

My husband got through most of your thread, and was taking notes so he could perhaps speak some encouraging words to you....but alas it became a trigger for him. frown He hasn't been on here for a long time, for that reason, but I thought enough time had gone by...

Sorry ! But I'll be back and I'm still cheering for you.

FF (my husband is Learning2Cherish and he says the same)

me: FWW/BW
Married 20 years, 4 kids
We made it.
F
F
Me again. Learning2Cherish asked me to write these things to you. I will put them in quotes since they are his words to you:

"Remember that your WW was GOD'S daughter before she was YOUR wife."

"I realized I lost FF's heart long before she ever had an affair. At first I thought I had to be better than OM. But then I learned that it was getting my own heart right, and trusting God to win His "little girl's" heart back."

Also he asked me to give you these verses, which helped him in the thick of things:
Eph 5:25-29
Habakkuk 3:17-19
Ps 46:10
Jer 42:10-12

me: FWW/BW
Married 20 years, 4 kids
We made it.
L
L
DBD,

I'm the husband of FindingFreedom. I finally made it through the whole thread (I started earlier today but had to back off for a bit when I triggered on the whole jewelry thing.) Yes, it has been 20 months and there are still triggers for me now and then.

As I reviewed this thread, I noticed many similarities in our stories. I spent 20 years in the Air Force, planned on entering full time ministry after retiring and meanwhile scratched that itch by serving in many areas of ministry as a layman. I, too, assumed my wife was �invincible��that she could handle anything. I failed to be her shelter in the storms of life. I, too, �ignored her� and �neglected to treat her like the treasure she is.� I did not meet her EN for communication and instead of encouraging her, wore her down with criticism (DJs). I did not recognize how controlling I was (SDs)�telling her how she should feel or should not feel based on biblical principles. I thought I was being her spiritual leader but I was being a spiritual bully. As I look back, I can see selfishness was the root. I just wanted to fix her problems so they would not weigh me down. I failed to listen to her with the intent of knowing her heart and of being her champion. In short, I drained her love bank dry with DJs and SDs and fell completely short of making the EN deposits she needed.

You opened your thread with 1 Cor 13:7 (�[Love] always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres�). Are you prepared to persevere, for years if necessary? You need to understand you spent at least the last three years neglecting your bride (�distracted,� �disillusioned with your career,� pursuing your hobbies). It probably began even before that. What took 3+ years to tear apart will not be rebuilt in weeks or months. You acknowledged that thinking �we�d confess, forgive, pray, commit and restore and be back on track in a week� was unrealistic. But I am sensing you still are expecting too much too soon. I know I did. I relate very much to your statement that you were �hanging on her every word, touch, facial expression for some sign of improvement.�

If our marriages are as alike as I think they are, then I believe the following advice is applicable to your situation:

1) Steel yourself up for a long, long recovery. Here are words from Dr. Harley, specifically to me that I�d venture to say are very fitting for you.
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Learning2Cherish:

Your wife has learned quite a bit what she experiences when she is in love. The feeling of romantic love makes everything that we should do in marriage seem almost effortless. Intimate conversation, affection, recreational companionship -- and especially sexual fulfillment -- they all seem so natural. And it makes people think that they love each other unconditionally. But they don't. That's why affairs die a natural death 95% of the time. They think they are perfect for each other, but as soon as conflicts enter their lives, their illusions are revealed for what they really are. The illusions are what I call "the fog," and your wife is still struggling with some of those illusions.

As time passes, she will eventually get through the withdrawal that she now experiences, and will see the affair for what it really was. But if she's honest, she will admit that those illusions made her feel terrific, and she misses having that feeling.

She can have that feeling again, however. This time for you. All you must do is make enough Love Bank deposits and avoid withdrawals, and she'll be in love with you again.

Some people experience the return of romantic love within a three months of ending an affair, but I'd give it two years. In the meantime, you are doing all the right things, so keep up the good work.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

2) Keep making the changes you need to make but stop doing it with the expectation of seeing changes in your wife. Hope for it, but stop expecting it. Else she will still feel you are trying to control her.
Originally Posted by FindingFreedom
When he stopped telling me , "Look what I'm doing ! See how I'm changing ! Admire me NOW", and just quietly worked on himself, then I really began to think he is doing this for HIM and not to win me back or coerce me to stay. And I admire him for that. FF

Just be there for her. Smile at her. Listen to her but leave her alone if she does not want to talk. Give her space. Work on the things you need to work on and do it because you want to be more like Christ, not because you want to elicit a response from your wife. Keep a tender heart toward her. This is your opportunity to learn to truly love her unconditionally.

James 3: 16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing. 17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy.

Closing word of encouragement from �How to Survive an Affair� article by Dr. Harley (Chapter 13 from His Needs Her Needs�the story about Alex and Elaine), closing paragraph:
------------------------
A person who discovers his or her spouse in an affair experiences one of the most severe blows anyone could possibly sustain. It also sends both partners on an emotional roller coaster. But when a couple follow my narrow path to recovery, they often tell me that they have built a better love relationship than they ever would have had if the affair had not jolted them into constructive action. The affair provides the traumatic trigger that finally gets the couple to meet each other's basic needs. Once they start meeting those basic needs, their marriage becomes what it was supposed to have been all along.
------------------------

H
H
Originally Posted by DBD
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Originally Posted by MTW

Do not neglect your "TAKER" ....

I am scared to death of them. My brother went suicidal. I drink 4 beers and the whole world is fine.

I feel like the exercising is for me, to give back to me.

I have people checking in with me almost everyday, sharing the load a little.

Increased risk of suicide/suicidal ideations are a risk with medications, but even those of the same class don't effect everyone in the same way.

You might also talk to your physician about an as needed beta blocker. It's an off-label use, but they do help with anxiety.

Exercise is good. Good rest. Eat well. Make sure that when you have nothing else to do that you are busy with something so that your mind doesn't have time to wander.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
D
DBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Sorry friends, been hopping with things.

Thanks for the words FF and L2C, I look forward to hearing more from you. I am totally lost on what to expect, say, do, force--I yearn for restoration, WW yearns for that feeling of romantic fun love...like she has with OM.

Married 23 years
D-Day March 2, 2013
E-Day April 8, 2013
M
M
Originally Posted by DBD
force--I yearn for restoration, WW yearns for that feeling of romantic fun love...like she has with OM.

Marriage Builders CREATES that feeling of romantic, fun love. That is what we can promise her if she stays with you and follows this program. Your old marriage is dead and gone, we will help you create a NEW one.

Exposure 101

Page 14 of 25 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 242 guests, and 85 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation