Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 59 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 58 59
B
B
Originally Posted by OddJob123
Heh, I am not sure where he lives though. Hmm.. Actually I bet I could find out.
Or better yet, could you put a GPS on her car now?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
She has been adamant about being 'independent' and finding her own place, renting a room somewhere.

Talk is cheap; rent costs money!

OJ, you will learn that Waywards say much, and most of what they say is pig slop - sooner would be better than later!!! If she wanted "her own place", she'd have gotten one instead of living la vida loca on your housing dime!

Every time you listen to her, and report back here, I can almost sense some of your brain cells dying a horrible death - and mine crying out in sympathy.

So while she's with this guy, basically don't believe a single word she says, ya? haha.

Me: BH, 28
WW, 26
Married September 2005
D-Day: April 7, 2013
A started in February, 2013, and is ongoing
M
M
Okay, cool. Ya I have already asked for her support more than once. She is kind of a hippie, so she kind of has this "The heart knows what it wants" attitude.

MrRollieEyes In other words, she doesn't give a crap about her daughter.

He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But he who walks wisely will be delivered. Proverbs 28:26

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Heh, I am not sure where he lives though. Hmm.. Actually I bet I could find out.

Ya, I could. Wonder if I can find a tracker locally.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
M
M
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
[
Every time you listen to her, and report back here, I can almost sense some of your brain cells dying a horrible death - and mine crying out in sympathy.

NG is correct. It is the same as posting the rantings of a falling down drunk...

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts

Ya, I could. Wonder if I can find a tracker locally.
They have good ones at Radio shack.

Here GPS Units

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

O
OP Offline
O
Cool, I will pick one up. Once she decides to leave the old house, it will be interesting to see where she goes.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
B
B
Cool, I will pick one up. Once she decides to leave the old house, it will be interesting to see where she goes.
Yes it will.

Wise words from Pepperband to a newly BS (especially after exposure) put a GPS on their vehicle and see where they go and a VAR (they can't help but to call the AP).

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

O
OP Offline
O
Eh, sorry I'm not sure what you mean by VAR, or AP. Still learning my acronyms I guess.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
B
B
Eh, sorry I'm not sure what you mean by VAR, or AP. Still learning my acronyms I guess.
AP=Affair Partner
VAR=Voice Activated Recorder

Here.
Acroynoms and Abbreviations

VAR

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

O
OP Offline
O
I just talked to one of my very best friends on the phone, and he said he is going to call my wife and tell her he thinks she's making a huge mistake and that she needs to end the affair. I warned him she might start trying to say "you don't know the whole story", "That's not why I left him" bla bla bla. I told him to just stay true to his resolve no matter what she says. So far he is the only friend that has been willing to straight up just tell her that. Really grateful for him right now.

Last edited by OddJob123; 05/04/13 01:50 PM.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
B
B
I just talked to one of my very best friends on the phone, and he said he is going to call my wife and tell her he thinks she's making a huge mistake and that she needs to end the affair. I warned him she might start trying to say "you don't know the whole story", "That's not why I left him" bla bla bla. I told him to just stay true to his resolve no matter what she says. So far he is the only friend that has been willing to straight up just tell her that. Really grateful for him right now.
What a good man and friend.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

O
OP Offline
O
So one more piece of the puzzle guys that I didn't mention, and it's kind of a big piece. My wife's best friend is a guy. She even told him about the impending separation before she told me about it. They are very close. When my wife separated from me, on that very same day, this guy went and confessed his love to my wife. Before this happened I considered this guy my friend as well. Not anymore, for obvious reasons. He has tried to reconcile with me saying I wasn't there, and I don't know exactly what happened, blah blah. He has always been very manipulative. He knows how to make people feel sorry for him. He is *always* the victim in his eyes. My wife does not have any feelings of love for him as far as I know, and she turned him down but decided to remain friends with him. Well, regardless of his betrayal of my friendship, I asked for his support to not see or talk to my wife until she ends this affair. Of course he said "She's an adult, I'm not going to tell her what to do, and I'm not going to end our friendship because of it." So they still spend time together. They had a BBQ the other day with him, his girlfriend, my wife, and my wife's OM. (I don't know if the OM knows that this guy confessed his love to my wife). Either way, the whole situation is extremely dysfunctional.

My concern is this - obviously I can never be friends with this guy again. But he is my wife's best friend, and I know she cherishes their friendship, no matter how big of a douche he is. So let's say the affair ends in the future, and the fog clears. How do I deal with this guy? Do I tell my wife she cannot be friends with him anymore? Do I put a probation on her friendship with him? Do I say she can still be friends with him, but cannot be near him unless I am there physically? I am worried that she will not be willing to abandon her friendship with him if that's what it takes to reconcile. (If I can even get to that point to begin with)

Sorry if this didn't make sense. I can reword some of it if needed.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
M
M
So let's say the affair ends in the future, and the fog clears. How do I deal with this guy? Do I tell my wife she cannot be friends with him anymore? Do I put a probation on her friendship with him?

Tell him to hit the road and demand that she never have anything to do with him again. A married person should not have friends of the opposite sex. That is how affairs begin.

Exposure 101

B
B
Does this so called best friend's GF know he confessed his love to your WW? I would let her know.

I would make it a condition for recovery. No opposite sex friendships. You should tell him to get lost.

Here.
Are "Friends" a Threat to Your Marraige?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
J
Odd,

I have read through your thread and you are doing an excellent job of managing this very difficult situation. You are listening to the advice here and that is helping you.

Most people don't understand affairs and how to battle them. Dr. Harely and these folks here do. Thousands of marriages have been saved though these methods, and in the marriages that were not saved the betrayed spouses learned from the Marriage Builders principals and became much better for it. So keep a courageous heart.

To answer your question, one of the conditions of taking back your WW will be for her to end all opposite sex friendships. She cannot re-enter your marriage if she stays friends with the guy. And she should not have a close friendship with any other guy but you.

Your WW does not have boundries. If she was going out when you were married and she was in the presence of other men, then it is clear her boundries were bad. This must be corrected for you two to recover.

But first things first. Destroy the affair.

O
OP Offline
O
Okay, good to know, no guy relationships. I will make that a solid rule should we ever have the opportunity for reconciliation. And yes, the 'friend's' GF knows about his love confession to her. Like I said, it's an EXTREMELY dysfunctional situation. The reason his GF doesn't care about the love confession is because she is desperate to keep him as her boyfriend, as far as I can tell.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
O
OP Offline
O
Man, her lifestyle has been to have guy friends as long as I can remember. I just have such a hard time seeing her not only coming back to want to reconcile, but abandoning her friendship with this guy right now just seems impossible. He has been her friend for as long as I have been with her.

Which leads me to another question. When / If the fog lifts - what in the world is going to make her consider coming back to me? Even if she DID want to, I feel like she will be too embarrassed and prideful to even consider it. And then for me to tell her she has to abandon her relationship with this guy, I feel she would not ever be willing to consider that.

I'm going to continue to follow the plan you guys have laid out, I won't give up on the love of my life, but I have to admit, I have such a hard time seeing her ever wanting to reconcile - even as great as our relationship was for so long.

Last edited by OddJob123; 05/04/13 04:09 PM.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
J
J
Odd,

She is in the fog, and it is going to take time (a process) for her to get out.

But when she does get out, she has to change her independent behavior and she has to end relationships with the opposite sex. Both of these are destructive to happy marriage, and you should only take her back if you are going to be safe. There is no point in saving a marriage if it isn't going to be happy.

At this point, she cannot be educated. But if the affair is killed, the fog will eventually lift. At this point she must be willing to accept your conditions for accepting her back. In addition to giving up independent behavior and opposite sex friendships, she must at that time read Dr. Harley's books and this site.

If she is not willing to do this, then she will do this again. Is this something you want to put yourself through again?

O
OP Offline
O
No, I am not willing to go through this again. I will definitely tell her when the time comes that these conditions are necessary for our marriage's survival. If she refuses, then so be it.

What I am curious about though is the mental thought process that she will go through when/if the fog does lift. What will actually make her want to contact me? What will her state of mind be? I just have a hard time envisioning the reality of that moment. In the book, with the example with Sue, it made sense because she still felt what she was doing was wrong, she missed her kids, and it seemed she never felt fully confident about her decision to leave her husband. In my case my wife seems extremely confident and determined to see this through. So my instinct tells me that even if this affair does end, she will just go find another partner, rather than considering coming back to me.

I guess I am just trying to understand the psychology of this, and what my real chances are I guess.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
Page 9 of 59 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 58 59

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation