Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 59 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 58 59
O
OP Offline
O
Yes, he is - that is why I am moving back in on Monday.

Me: BH, 28
WW, 26
Married September 2005
D-Day: April 7, 2013
A started in February, 2013, and is ongoing
M
M
Originally Posted by OddJob123
I'm just realizing the continued pain and suffering I am putting myself through to have the slimmest chance of saving my marriage. I would like to think it is a testament of how much I love her. I could end my pain so much faster if I just went NC and forgot about her and tried to find someone else. But I feel like I would be betraying my marriage vows if I did that.

There are no guarantees but my money is on you. Let me explain why. 95% of affairs die within 2 years and never make it to marriage. The 5% that make it to marriage have a 70% divorce rate. The very traits that make an affair possible eventually destroy it.

On the other hand, 65% of marriages that are afflicted by affairs end up reconciled. So my money is on you!

But even if you did decide to get divorced, you would be fully within your rights. You are not betraying your marriage vows if you divorce over adultery.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
I'm glad to see you are optimistic after all the stuff I've shown you that she has told me. I'm sure it's MUCH easier for you guys to brush it off as foggage since you guys have seen it so much and you are not emotionally attached to this like I am. But when I see her say things like "We weren't meant to be together", "I am never coming back", "Let me go", "I don't love you anymore" it REALLY affects me.

Last edited by OddJob123; 05/04/13 11:57 PM.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
O
OP Offline
O
Oh and when you say shacking up, do you mean living there? Because he's not living there, he might spend the night sometimes, but he spends most of his nights at his parents house right now.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
M
M
Yes, he is - that is why I am moving back in on Monday.

Why not go to Home Depot first thing in the morning and change your locks? Then drive over to your other house and call the police if you see the OM's car there and have him removed? He has ALOT OF NERVE going in your home.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I'm glad to see you are optimistic after all the stuff I've shown you that she has told me. I'm sure it's MUCH easier for you guys to brush it off as foggage since you guys have seen it so much and you are not emotionally attached to this like I am. But when I see her say things like "We weren't meant to be together", "I am never coming back", "Let me go", "I don't love you anymore" it REALLY affects me.

That's because we have seen it a million times. They all say that.

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
I actually have lock smith's coming out on Monday. I am not a handy man, and don't want to screw it up, hah. It's been over a month of this going on now, so I don't think one more day is going to make a difference.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
O
OP Offline
O
Oh, and when she said "If OM left me tomorrow, I wouldn't come running back to you". That kind of stung too.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
M
M
Oh, and when she said "If OM left me tomorrow, I wouldn't come running back to you". That kind of stung too.

She is saying that because she wants you and others to believe she left because of problems in the marriage, NOT because of the OM.

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
Ya, I understand, like I said, it is just really hard to look at what she says as foggage. It is hard to have an objective view because I am so emotionally involved.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
M
M
When my wife started calling me toxic [I was snooping on her], is when she "jumped the shark" into the absurd and I finally detached from taking anything she said to heart. Her snide and hurtful comments back then were about maintaining her addiction...nothing more.

She might as well be saying "I could quit crack cocaine tomorrow and still not come home to you, you horrible ugly smelly monster". Perhaps a good response would have been "prove it" with a wry smile.

Until the affair is busted up, everything she says or does will be in furtherance of her affair. Even acts and words of kindness, if any, are just attempts at manipulation.

Just detach from it. Self confidence is a tough thing to possess right now but can't look to your wife for any assurances. Besides, you're only 28 [or so] so if this works out, great...if not, you'll be ok. I didn't even get married until I was 30. You'll truly be fine with or without her. Trying to save HER is an noble endeavor. Hopefully this is a one time act of immaturity and you two can recover and rebuild a fulfilling MB marriage. We are pulling for you.

Godspeed,

Mr. W

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Interesting.. Makes sense though. This approach is so different from anything else I've ever read since this started happening. I've read other places that if you make yourself completely unavailable, then that is when they will want you back.

That doesn't work and I will explain why. If a spouse is so completely detached that they leave for an affair, then how will more detachment be the solution? Making yourself unavailable is a dream come true for the affair because they want you out of the way. But if you react with the carrot and the stick, you effectively kill the affair and make yourself the attractive alternative.

Affairs thrive on secrecy, so once you expose it, the affair begins to crumble and lose its magic glow. If you stay and compete you are the most likely winner.

Plus...OM's love it when you step aside and hate when they hear you are asking "their" girl out on dates and spending ANY time with "their" girl.

Remember...they KNOW "their" girl is a liar that shouldn't be trusted so OM's will presume the worst about any time you spend around each other.

Remember also...WW's love sharing things you tell them with the OM so don't be afraid to feed her misinformation. (like I told my wife an exaggerated amount of money she personally spent the year prior on clothing alone knowing OM would internally freak out knowing he could never afford to cloth my wife).

Remember lastly...busting up the affair is step one and getting OM to end it because it's just too much trouble is one great way (and the easiest way) to accomplish that.

May not sound ideal or romantic but it matters not one bit how these affairs end...only that it ends and you can rebuild from there.

Mr. W

p.s. - another thought...when you move back home be very careful not to do anything that would allow her to successfully call the cops and have you removed. One BH blocked his wife in a room demanding she get off the phone with OM in his house and she accused him of "false imprisonment". Even though he didn't even touch her...she got him removed. Having a recorder of some type (I like the MP3 recordable wristwatches) would be wise to protect you from trumped up charges of harassment or abuse.

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
This really bothers WW's because they fantasize about being integrated into the OM's family. That has been ruined here!!

I generally think most WW's don't give a crap about being integrated into any family. They disassociated from their own so why would they care about OM's? They don't. If it were up to them they put aluminum foil in all the windows and stay in bed with OM 24/7. He's their schmoopie, not his parents.

Thus, the real reason this "bothers" WW's is because they THINK it might or probably does bothers their OM. They wonder and get insecure about whether OM will really choose them over their mom and dad and then they both have to spend a lot of time discussing and reassuring each other about this REAL LIFE problem with their relationship versus just living in affair fantasy land.

W

N
N
I just talked to the Dad for 20 minutes. They are doing EVERYTHING they can to convince the OM to end the relationship. They are very supportive of me.

This is great news, my friend. DO NOT LET UP YOUR CALM, BUT DIRECTED, ACTIONS IN ALL PHASES!

Review, please: This week is move-home date, right? Have you isolated all financial assets from her access? Are you unfailingly equipped with a VAR when you (will be) in proximity to WW?

You are getting THE BEST when Mel counsels you, but more importantly, you are listening, and HEARING, what should be done, and doing it.

Drive this affair into the ground.

O
OP Offline
O
All financial assets are isolated yes - I even had her sign over the house titles to me.

I am going to move in on either Monday or Tuesday. Probably Monday. Whenever me and WWS are about to have a conversation I will start video recording on my phone and then just put it in my pocket.

Last edited by OddJob123; 05/05/13 07:35 AM.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
O
OP Offline
O
Any tips on what I should say to my Wife when I move back in other than - "I'm moving back in because this is my house too, and I am not supporting your affair. OM is no longer allowed on the property."

That is what I'll say on the stick side - what about the carrot side? What would be most effective?

WW, 26
Married September 2005
O
OP Offline
O
My wife has a big acne and complexion problem. She looks great with make-up, but without make up is a whole different story. I assume this bodes well for when they move in together, and he has to start seeing her without make-up? I mean... In a facebook message to one of his buddies when this whole thing started he said "I don't know man, she' SO hot, I think she's worth ruining my marriage over". Do you think seeing her without make-up, something that little could cause the fantasy to die for him a bit?

WW, 26
Married September 2005
M
M
Any tips on what I should say to my Wife when I move back in other than - "I'm moving back in because this is my house too, and I am not supporting your affair. OM is no longer allowed on the property."

That is what I'll say on the stick side - what about the carrot side? What would be most effective?

"Hello honey, I'm home!!" laugh

Exposure 101

R
R
Do not get into any discussion or argument when you do.

M
M
OJ, here's a little video for you to think about when she starts babbling her nonsense. Picture her as the teacher:

Charlie Brown's Teacher

Last edited by maritalbliss; 05/05/13 10:30 AM.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

Page 16 of 59 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 58 59

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation