Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 59 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 58 59
O
OP Offline
O
Heh, ya.. blablablablabla..

Seriously though, I feel like I am not going to have many opportunities to be near her between when I move in and when she moves out, so I want to know if there are any specific things I can say to her other than offering to go out and do stuff to make her feel like I am a good option, that she could eventually feel comfortable coming back to me. The carrot of plan A basically.

Me: BH, 28
WW, 26
Married September 2005
D-Day: April 7, 2013
A started in February, 2013, and is ongoing
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by OddJob123
Any tips on what I should say to my Wife when I move back in other than - "I'm moving back in because this is my house too, and I am not supporting your affair. OM is no longer allowed on the property."

That is what I'll say on the stick side - what about the carrot side? What would be most effective?

"Hello honey, I'm home!!" laugh

And then...just LISTEN. [if she doesn't talk...no biggie]

Ask questions...and LISTEN some more.

Talk less...Listen more.

Ignore any hurtful things she's saying as she's just trashing against you for interfering with her affair.

Your challenge is to see how long you can keep her talking with you about anything. The more she talks to you the more connected to you she will feel regardless of the conversation.

Acknowledge her statements... ["I understand"..."That's interesting"] and then deflect to another topic with questions when it gets too upsetting [she's gonna try to upset you].

Just try not to laugh out loud when she responds exactly how we tell you she's going to.

When she disengages to leave...don't chase her and don't beg. Be confident because trust me...you are the far better man and choice and she is either going to regret what she has done and be so appreciative of you fighting for her or she won't and you'll know you are better off without her. Either way...YOU will make it.

Mr. w

Last edited by MrWondering; 05/05/13 10:39 AM.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
M
M
Originally Posted by MrWondering
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
This really bothers WW's because they fantasize about being integrated into the OM's family. That has been ruined here!!

I generally think most WW's don't give a crap about being integrated into any family. They disassociated from their own so why would they care about OM's? They don't. If it were up to them they put aluminum foil in all the windows and stay in bed with OM 24/7. He's their schmoopie, not his parents.

Thus, the real reason this "bothers" WW's is because they THINK it might or probably does bothers their OM. They wonder and get insecure about whether OM will really choose them over their mom and dad and then they both have to spend a lot of time discussing and reassuring each other about this REAL LIFE problem with their relationship versus just living in affair fantasy land.

W

More than that, though, is no woman wants to be viewed as a PARIAH in any man's family. It is a horrible thing for a woman to be told she is not good enough to "darken the doorstep" of her partner's mother. She knows that if she is viewed as a pariah, it will eventually come between them.

They care very much about being integrated into his family and this is why exposing to the OM's family is so potent.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks, that is what I needed to hear. I am going to re-read that like 10 times so it's ingrained in my head.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
O
OP Offline
O
If she gives me the silent treatment after I move in, should I respect that? Or should I try to engage in conversation? "WS, do you want to talk about anything? If not, I understand."

WW, 26
Married September 2005
O
OP Offline
O
oh, and another tid-bit of information that makes last night's conversation with my wife ever so sweeter, is that the OM's dad told me him and has wife have NEVER talked to my WS. So everything my WS knows about his family is through the OM. Which means my message probably did more damage than we originally even thought. smile

WW, 26
Married September 2005
M
M
They care very much about being integrated into his family and this is why exposing to the OM's family is so potent.
I was thinking the same thing. OM evidently has a good relationship with his parents since he's living with them. I suspect their feelings will be important to him.

Right now, part of your WW's fantasy is probably visualizing warm, cozy holidays and Sundays around the family table. It will be a helpful dash of reality if she has to face the fact that those cozy days won't be happening. She will know that they know the truth of her marriage and she will not be able to spin her history to be acceptable to them.

And as a parent of boys, I can promise you that a woman who wrecked her marriage would not be popular with me. I wouldn't want my son having a relationship with someone like that. Beyond the fact that their character is clearly suspect - if they did it to their husband, what's to stop them from doing it to my son? cool

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

O
OP Offline
O
I'm going to write down a list of non-relationship questions I can ask her about here for my reference later.

-So are you planning on going to School?
-How is work going? Did you ever get another raise?
-How was your birthday? Did you do anything fun?
-Have you been keeping up with Game of Thrones?
-(if she is going to school) What are you thinking about studying?
-Do you think you'll ever do massage again?

Hmm.. That's all the non-awkward questions I can think of right now.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
M
M
My friend, don't overthink this. You don't want to come across as false. There is nothing you can say to make it any less awkward. Just don't allow her to bait you into a fight. Be pleasant and go about your business.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
Okay, I hear you. That makes sense.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
K
K
Ask her things like
Would you like some coffee?

Me: 34 BH
Her: 31 FWW
DD (6)
DS (3)
D-day 2/2/13

M
M
oh, and another tid-bit of information that makes last night's conversation with my wife ever so sweeter, is that the OM's dad told me him and has wife have NEVER talked to my WS. So everything my WS knows about his family is through the OM. Which means my message probably did more damage than we originally even thought. smile

You do realize that by speaking to his family yourself, you have prevented your WW from concocting a "story" about you? You got to them first and told them the truth. So now if she and the OM try to drum up a story, it won't work.

Does your WW believe you are going to cooperate with her divorce? Didn't she print up divorce papers off the internet? Lets discuss that...

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
And as a parent of boys, I can promise you that a woman who wrecked her marriage would not be popular with me. I wouldn't want my son having a relationship with someone like that. Beyond the fact that their character is clearly suspect - if they did it to their husband, what's to stop them from doing it to my son? cool

Same here. If my son did something so trashy, he would not be allowed to bring his hoe to my home. She would never darken my doorstep!

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
She thinks I am going to cooperate, yes.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by klovelistener
Ask her things like
Would you like some coffee?

Oooh, okay this is good. So like if I'm going to the store, ask her if she wants anything, etc? This is good.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
M
M
She thinks I am going to cooperate, yes.

So when she rolls out the divorce papers, just let her know you would prefer to let attorneys handle all that because of the seriousness of the situation. You have since learned that the divorce will be a very serious thing because of the adultery involved. Because of that, you will be countersuing for divorce on grounds of adultery if she has you served.

This means that the OM will be subpoenaed to give testimony under oath about his adultery. All of their emails, texts and cell phone records will be subpoenaed in discovery. This is also information that the OM's wife can use in her own divorce action. You are considering asking the OM's parents and his wife to testify on your behalf since they have all been so supportive of you.

The reason you want to do this is to buy time. You want to drag it out and make it as difficult as possible while the affair dies on the vine.

You want to paint a very horrible picture of her future if she takes this path while you are painting a very wonderful picture of a future with you.

All of this horrible ugliness could go away if she would only end her affair and work on your marriage.

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
UNDERSTOOD

Man, this thread is going to be 500 pages long by the time this is done.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
M
M
Does she have a good job? Can she support herself?

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
Will it be okay to send her that in a text when the time comes? I just want to make sure I word everything right. If I do it verbally I may screw it up.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
O
OP Offline
O
She makes 11 or 12 dollars an hour.

WW, 26
Married September 2005
Page 17 of 59 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 58 59

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation