Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25
Z
Z
no more drinking.

M
M
Originally Posted by DBD
For you appalled and offended gals out there, what do I do or say that shows genuine repentance beyond removal of the weapons???

And the answer (second time I'm posting this) is: quit drinking, and having angry outbursts.

Can you do this? Will you do this? Or should we not waste any time with you? I don't want to spend 20 pages debating with you while you finally come around to the idea that it isn't going to work unless you give these two things up.

You can get anger management therapy to learn how to stop angry outbursts, if you do not know how but are really serious about doing it. What we need to know is, are you serious about saving your marriage, or not? If so, are you serious enough to get rid of the alcohol and the angry outbursts?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by DBD
For you appalled and offended gals out there, what do I do or say that shows genuine repentance beyond removal of the weapons???

What this question tells me is that you want the quick fix words to make this go away.

I doubt there are any such words, and I would not bother.

Instead, ditch the alcohol and the angry outbursts. Long term, this is the only thing that can give you the ability to turn this around. Her short term reactions don't matter, and you shouldn't waste any energy on trying to find the magic words to manage those reactions.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by DBD
WW refuses to consider EPs. On a good day a while back she asked me what I wanted her to do and I sent a sample NC letter to her. She said the NC letter was crazy controlling crap.

Do you have a plan to eliminate angry outbursts? If you don't, you better fold, I think. No sense in debating extraordinary precautions.

By the way, this isn't a rhetorical question above. Do you have a plan?

M
M
Originally Posted by DBD
Said she cannot live with a person who would do violence and just needs to move out etc.

That is exactly what Dr. Harley would advise her to do.

F
F
Oh DBD. Oh.

It is nearly impossible to fall in love with an angry man.

me: FWW/BW
Married 20 years, 4 kids
We made it.
P
P
Originally Posted by 20YearHistory
Originally Posted by zibbles
If you continue, you'll end up kicked out of your house with a restraining order on you.

Honestly, would you blame his wife for doing that today?

Dr Harley frequently advises separation..would almost guarantee he would encourage it in this situation. I have heard him recommend separation it for far less �serious� outbursts that do not involve firearms.

I would TELL his wife to do that today!

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

D
D
Don't take the guns out of the house. Sell them, period. I hate to say it but you demonstrated that your not in control enough to have firearms with your AO display. Find a new hobby one that doens't pertain to firearms because you probably traumatized her for life.

M
M

D
DBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hmmm. Glad I cam here today. I was feeling like it was all her fault until getting smacked around here.

FF--I understand. I was mostly not angry for the 1st 9 weeks. It was an outburst, not a daily deal.

Anger plan that worked pretty good for the 1st 3 months was:
1--run in the am
2--read and pray and get my head on straight in the am
3--carry little vs, cards in my pocket and read them when I started to get flustered
4--forgive everyone out loud right away--just like I have been forgiven
5--walk away when hurtful words started to enter my mind

I will ditch the beer and improve the plan. I am serious about fighting for my marriage. I am willing to follow good advice, but I am very scared of the pshyc meds--rather not get on those--saw what it did to my brother.

Me: BH 42
Her: WW 41
Married 23 years
D-Day March 2, 2013
E-Day April 8, 2013
5 Kids ages 16-22, 3 boys & 2 girls
M
M
It just so happens that Dr. Harley has a lot of great information to help you with overcoming angry outbursts. I would start taking advantage of that information and use his methods as the base of your plan. You are going to need to learn to proactively relax, to calm down in the face of frustration.

There is an "anger management 101" thread around here with a few dozen links to excellent Marriage Builders radio broadcasts about anger management. Listen through those a few times.

M
M
Do you have the most recent edition of Dr. Harley's book, Love Busters? His plan to overcome angry outbursts is in there, and it is really fleshed out in detail compared to earlier editions.

D
D
ADs are a personal opinion and very debatable I think. Dr. Harley recommends them but like yourself I abhor them and replaced that with exercise and I am doing well. Your plan is passable at best. Do some homework and find an anger managment class. If you go to divorce this CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU! You need some documented proof like a certificate or something from a reputable source saying your completed anger management before it is court ordered. The best way is to call your county courthouse or go there and ask them what counseling center they use for anger management and set it up yourself.

You once said you don't drink and you didn't have a plan to quit and low and behold here you are with beer AGAIN! I hate to sound pompous but you need a better plan than I am not drinking again. Maybe AA or something. Remember going to AA doesn't mean you admit to being an alcoholic so don't look at it as such. YOU NEED ACTIONS not some forum posting saying what your going to do. You have issues with following through with plans so get in a program and get it done! What's more important your WW feelings of fear that you added validity to with your AO or your gun collection and beer?

Trust me sir its not easy, I was a gamer so was my wife. She claimed I cared more about the video game than her. So I sold it and used the money on a gym membership. Now don't get me wrong I do still play but not like I used to and use it more for a winter time activity with my DS. Show her your changes but don't shout and jump and down and say look at me!

In time she will see your changes and doesn't need your help pointing them out, she is an adult. You can do it passive like, for instance where you kept all your guns put a gym there or a quote that motivates you to change. I was told one and it goes like this "I can only control me, myself and I. I cannot control other people. I CAN control how I react to other peoples f***ked up behavior towards me." Takes time as I am sure your natural reaction is to AO as was mine. 1 AO can erase a lot of love bank deposits let the POSOM AO not you, you cannot afford it.

N
N

1 - First, wipe that glib smirk off your face, punk!

2 - Relinquish control over your guns.
3 - Swear of liquor.
4 - Move out of your house. (YES! YOU'RE GODDAM RIGHT, you heard me correctly!)
5 - Grow the [censored] up!
6 - Move back home when you've taken care of number 5!

Z
Z
you definitely need actions. don't just decide in your own head that you're going to change. take an anger management class to show everyone else you're serious. commit to changing and make yourself accountable to others.

NO MORE DRINKING.

get rid of the guns. i think you're unwilling to do this just in case you end up divorced. you want to keep them if you think you can but you've proven more than once that you're willing to encourage people to see these guns as a real threat.

you're holding on the the guns when its clear from a lot of discussion here that they have been and continue to be a problem.

you need to be taking BOLD action right now.

Originally Posted by NeverGuessed

3 - Swear of liquor.

+1

I like your style NG. I wasn't going to be so brash but hey..I agree 100%

L
L
Originally Posted by 20YearHistory
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed

3 - Swear of liquor.

+1

I like your style NG. I wasn't going to be so brash but hey..I agree 100%

I would normally add to this, but your AO and following action was a huge trigger for me. I will agree with NG's "mellow" post because my would surely be , well lets just say harsher.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"...... The Shawshank Redemption.
N
N
I like your style NG.

The glory of being NG is that I have no "style".

DBD, I hope you understand the enormity of your transgressions against good sense and adult behavior. You need help, and I cut you no slack for your marital stresses. On d-night, I had the good sense to remove myself from the proximity of my lawful firearms as the Nazis arrived. They were for me, and should have been for you, tools for specific purposes, not some faux-phallic totems to be displayed to awe and frighten the innocents.

M
M
Originally Posted by DBD
I discovered she emailed OM from work, looked him up on FB, and lied to cover for her friend. That came all at once and I just started thinking she is lying and sneaking and I got bent out of shape.

Holy crap, man! You are headed towards a very bad place and need to separate before you go insane and/or kill someone. Get the guns locked up, throw the booze down the drain and ask your wife to move out. She is going to drive you crazy and in your case, IT IS A SHORT DRIVE!! Have her get out and go into Plan B until her affair is over and she is ready to commit to this program. You are not going to be able to endure more contact. You just don't have it in you to do Plan A.

I am another one who does not have the mental makeup to do Plan A. Some of us are just not equipped. You should accept that you are not equipped for this and get yourself away from her before you completely destroy your life. Satan is winning today! Snatch that defeat from his jaws and remove yourself from the dark association of your wife.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Some people just cannot do Plan A. There is no shame in that.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 425 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation