Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
B
B
Here are some good clips on opposite sex friendships. I know you broke it off with your female friend/Godmother, but I thought it was a good listen.

Radio Clip on Opposite Sex Friendships
Segment #2

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Also here is a clip on EPs.

Radio Clip on Extraordinary Precautions

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

H
H
Originally Posted by HerPapaBear
Please keep us updated about your reading progress.

So how's it going?

Still reading?

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
G
G
Originally Posted by Micalex
...N.B. Please take it from someone who has managed these tools for a living. Whether it's in the form of Instant Messaging, Blog, Forum or website they are all Social Networking Service Platforms. visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_networking_service

Maybe I try to be overly technical but that's the IT brain in me.

POINT IS FACEBOOK IS NOW DELETED! Now on to deciding what magazines or books I can read.
N.B. for Micalex: I've been overseas & otherwise almost too busy to breathe for the last month due to work demands, and I realize you've deleted FB; but I'm sorry, I've still gotta call you out on this above, because even if it's a few-week-old post, it's still got a rather funky air about it.

On MarriageBuilders, your former affair-partner can't look you up (under her own account or under a fake account created specially for the purpose) nearly as easily. For you to suggest an equivalence among different online communication platforms (under which deleting FB would be as useless to your chances of saving your marriage as deleting MB) might be your brain being 'technical,' or it might be your brain being weaselly. If you don't get the major distinction between a place like MB and a place like FB, in terms of the difference with which your wounded spouse might view one vs. the other, then your wife would have plenty of reason to remain wary of risking emotional reattachment with you.

As I said, I realize it's been a couple of weeks since you posted that. I hope you've progressed to some of the above realizations in the interim; or maybe you even realized it at the time but just got yourself down an "I need to win this argument" rabbit-trail -- I dunno. My point here is not to 'pile on after the whistle', but simply to make sure you're thinking clearly re: the above.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
M
Micalex Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi,
Been a while since I've posted. Reading threads though.
Finally completed reading" love busters" and "his needs her needs". Just started reading " Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders".

It's been tough going and I'm getting a little frustrated. My wife (BS) and I (WS) have been trying to spend as much time as possible together. Honestly this has only amounted to about 8 hours a week and only if I include phone conversations. We have lunch twice a week for a couple hours and then talk on the phone mostly. I also apologized openly to her father...her mom still wants nothing to do with me and openly apologized to the church we attended.

More to the point last night we tried to have dinner. The plan originally was dinner and a movie but because she didn't make baby sitting arrangements the time got pushed back so we just decided to have dinner. During the course of the day prior to dinner she expressed some frustration over forgetting our daughters swimming lesson. Tried to cheer her up and encourage her that she did the right thing by attempting to make it up to our daughter by taking her shopping. Also let her know that in the future I'm here to help in anyway possible including dropping the kid (s) to their lessons.

Once we got to dinner I asked how her day was and she said frustrated to the point where she feels like crawling under a rock. Told her well then my plan tonight is to help
her feel less frustrated. I think I failed.

Asked her what was frustrating her...she initially said that she doesn't want to talk about it. I said ok but then got quiet and pensive for a few minutes because I thought it had something to do with me. She picked up on it and asked how cone my mood changed and I said well I'm just thinking whether I am the cause of her frustration. She said no and proceeded to tell me about the situation regarding her relationship with her parents. How they're not really being supportive to her. I tried telling her that maybe she should talk to them about it. She said it's impossible to get through to them. Left it there and tried to change topic by asking which restaurant she wanted to go to. Italian, Chinese or Irish. Then a girlfriend of hers called. After they spoke I asked who it was. She told me it was her girlfriend checking if she got to the restaurant ok and that she should call when she gets home. This friend has interrupted
the little time we spend together on many occasions and before our affair she would spend hours talking to her on the phone...which led to me feeling neglected. We already had such little time together with our busy lives of work and taking care of our
first daughter. I let her know that I thought it was inappropriate for her friend to be checking up on her constantly like that...something she does regularly. Guess that was wrong of me to say too because I was saying it out of frustration.

We got over that...decided to go Italian...and tried to enjoy the night together...but every topic led to her raising some issue of frustration. I felt like I was constantly trying to out fires. On our way home I just had to ask her though what was really bothering her...and she said...that she feels her life is ruined and she only has one life.

I told her that I know That i'm the cause of that feeling ( mostly) but we have am opportunity to make our lives better than it ever was before and she needs to know that I still love her very much. Guess that was wrong for me to say too because she said whenever I said something like that it just reminds her of the fact that before the affair I said I loved her but still I had an affair. I had no response. We said our goodnight's and I went home very sad.

My questions are: (1) Can someone of the same sex like a friend meet your most important emotional needs and therefore block your spouse from doing so?
(2) Do I just let time and my actions help heal bad memories?
(3) Did I not avoid love busters?( will be searching the book again for clues)

M
Micalex Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi HerPapaBear. Finished reading His Needs Her Needs and Love Busters. Been focusing on putting the ideas in th books and on this forum into practice. Started reading Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders yesterday.

I put up a post on a dinner experience with BS earlier. Would really like your feedback.

H
H
My questions are: (1) Can someone of the same sex like a friend meet your most important emotional needs and therefore block your spouse from doing so?

1 - Yes, absolutely! This is one of the key reasons that Dr. Harley recommends that spouses spend ALL of their recreational time TOGETHER.

Even when it is a SAME-SEX friend, that time spent doing recreational activities together creates a contrast effect with our spouse that makes time spent with those friends MORE ATTRACTIVE than spending time with our spouse, and that is DISASTEROUS to the marriage!

2 - Yes! But, you have to be spending the APPROPRIATE AMOUNT of time together, this means 25 hours or more each week!

3 - No clue! Your wife would know! But, that doesn't mean that digging in and studying how Love Busters occur and making sure to eliminate them completely is a waste of your time! Learning to be the source of your wife's happiness will help feed back into your #2 question!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
Micalex Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks HoldHerHand. Reminds me of the story of Craig not liking Joan's friend Bev in love busters. It's not that I don't like her friend...I am happy that she has such a good friend...I just want my wIfe to understand that when her friend interrupts the time we have to spend together it alienates me...and once her friend starts talking she tends to go on and on...even my wife admits it.

We have a safe word that we use to avoid love busters and take a step back from discussions if uncomfortable. I think though that when we use the safe word it only serves to indicate that a love buster is imminent and it makes the other partner upset anyway...

I will be asking my wife if we can have a POJA discussion about this issue...although I am afraid sometimes to speak up because as a WS I want to avoid causing more pain than I already have by having too many heavy conversations.

H
H
Hi HerPapaBear. Finished reading His Needs Her Needs and Love Busters. Been focusing on putting the ideas in th books and on this forum into practice. Started reading Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders yesterday.

I put up a post on a dinner experience with BS earlier. Would really like your feedback.

Ok!

Remember, I'm pointing things out to help you. Do NOT get discouraged by my posts, I do believe you are making some progress.

That being said,

I'll be back.....

Recovery began 10/07;

H
H

It's been tough going and I'm getting a little frustrated.

Why?

Your wife is giving you an opportunity you never deserved.

She spends her days feeling betrayed and you are frustrated because of this? She's just not getting over this betrayal quick enough, isn't that what you are feeling?

My wife (BS) and I (WS) have been trying to spend as much time as possible together. Honestly this has only amounted to about 8 hours a week and only if I include phone conversations. We have lunch twice a week for a couple hours and then talk on the phone mostly.

She's giving you an opportunity to date her, to court her, to rekindle a romance and a chance to win her heart.

So what are you doing with this opportunity?

Are you selfishly demanding more from her than she is willing or able to offer currently? Asking for more than she can give?

Recovery began 10/07;

H
H

More to the point last night we tried to have dinner. The plan originally was dinner and a movie but because she didn't make baby sitting arrangements the time got pushed back so we just decided to have dinner.

Did you consider planning the babysitter?

Once we got to dinner I asked how her day was and she said frustrated to the point where she feels like crawling under a rock. Told her well then my plan tonight is to help her feel less frustrated. I think I failed.

You assumed she wanted you to take something away.

She was just expressing her raw hurt and pain.

Your job was to be compassionate and listen.....

Asked her what was frustrating her...she initially said that she doesn't want to talk about it.

Instead of respecting her request you picked unhappy thoughts by pouting....

I said ok but then got quiet and pensive for a few minutes because I thought it had something to do with me.

yes, pouted.

Is this a pattern of yours? If so, it's not very endearing. Nor is it romantic.

She picked up on it and asked how come my mood changed

You instantly became a source of unhappiness.

Do you think that's a good idea for a date?

....and I said well I'm just thinking whether I am the cause of her frustration.

You turned everything around in an instant and forced her to rescue - you.

I hope this isn't a habit of yours!

She said no and proceeded to tell me about the situation regarding her relationship with her parents. How they're not really being supportive to her. I tried telling her that maybe she should talk to them about it. She said it's impossible to get through to them.

So you failed to recognize that you really WERE the source of her frustration. Look, she is allowing you back in her life and her parents don't agree with her choices. Her parents are frustrating her because of YOU. You destroyed their daughters life by betraying her and they think she's crazy for allowing you anywhere near her.

I don't blame them!

My In-Laws were very concerned, and had the right to be.... They picked my wife up off the floor when I left her for dead.... Same as you!

Last edited by HerPapaBear; 05/25/13 06:42 PM.

Recovery began 10/07;

H
H

Left it there and tried to change topic by asking which restaurant she wanted to go to. Italian, Chinese or Irish.

What a hero, you dredged up her unhappiness, pouted for answers, and then ignored her pain when she finally disclosed her feelings and thoughts. I guess you were just to uncomfortable with the honesty you asked of her.

You had a golden opportunity to express sincere remorse for being at the source of her pain and frustration. For being at the center of her and her parents discord. Yet you just DROPPED it.

Then a girlfriend of hers called. After they spoke I asked who it was. She told me it was her girlfriend checking if she got to the restaurant ok and that she should call when she gets home. This friend has interrupted
the little time we spend together on many occasions....

Was this friend there for her while you were drugging it up with your ho bag?

Tread lightly here my friend, this woman has more loyalty in your wife's eyes than you will have for many years to come....

.... and before our affair she would spend hours talking to her on the phone...which led to me feeling neglected. We already had such little time together with our busy lives of work and taking care of our first daughter.

Oh good grief, now this friend of your wife's is a source of your PAST unwillingness to commit time and energy to your marriage. And maybe even an excuse for your affair. naughty

I let her know that I thought it was inappropriate for her friend to be checking up on her constantly like that...something she does regularly. Guess that was wrong of me to say too because I was saying it out of frustration.

I think I covered this already!

We got over that...decided to go Italian...and tried to enjoy the night together...but every topic led to her raising some issue of frustration. I felt like I was constantly trying to out fires.

You poured the gas on all the fires you've mentioned thus far. Sheesh!

Last edited by HerPapaBear; 05/25/13 06:44 PM.

Recovery began 10/07;

H
H

On our way home I just had to ask her though what was really bothering her...and she said...that she feels her life is ruined and she only has one life.

Again, you had to dredge up her unhappiness!

When you're adultery is the cause of her pain, it's best to stop bringing it to the surface with probing questions. Dates are meant to create new, good, fun, enjoyable memories. Yet you are destroying the opportunities.

I told her that I know That i'm the cause of that feeling ( mostly) but we have am opportunity to make our lives better than it ever was before and she needs to know that I still love her very much. Guess that was wrong for me to say too because she said whenever I said something like that it just reminds her of the fact that before the affair I said I loved her but still I had an affair. I had no response. We said our goodnight's and I went home very sad.

Again, nor response.... Just DROPPED it again. Too uncomfortable!

You have got to get your head in the game.

You must make purposeful plans for your dates. Fun things that allow some time to communicate and some time to laugh and some time to forget the worries and troubles of the day.

You must purpose to avoid the land mines, not intentionally step on them to see what the response is going to be.

Do you know the first thought your wife has when she wakes up?

She thinks about how you betrayed her!

Do you know how often she thinks about the fact you betrayed her, got whacked out on drugs, left her and your family for ho bag?

She thinks about it all day!

Do you know what she thinks about when she is drifting off to sleep?

The same things!

This will occur for years until you can walk among the land mines without stepping on them intentionally.

This will happen with time and with actions.

And saying "I Love You" when she is in pain is a bonehead move you need to stop, OK!

Simple expressions of, "I'm sorry I'm the source of so much of your pain", is a good answer at times.

Saying, "I'm working to be the man you deserve", is another on at those times.

Expressing that, "I'm learning how to be different, thank you for the opportunity to show you these changes", etc. etc. etc......

Recovery began 10/07;

H
H

Hopefully I already answered these for you.

Look, the bottom line is, you withdrew more love from her than you deposited!

I'm sure you'll have more opportunities to make deposits.

BTW,

I'm glad to see you've read the books HNHN & LBers...

Now go re-read them again.

And then again!

Recovery began 10/07;

M
M
Micalex, if you listen to Dr. Harley's radio show frequently, it comes across that one thing he is absolutely sure of is that, under the right circumstances, if a husband sticks at it long enough and does the right things, his wife will fall in love with him.

There's a woman in my house right now who practically turns to jelly every time I touch her. She's increasingly head over heels in love with me, because I've been sticking at it a long time and learned the right things to do (and to avoid the wrong things like the plague!) Yet not long ago, she hated me. Positive actions - combined with time - are like compounding interest in the love bank account. (I totally stole this statement from HerPapaBear - who was a great help to me in learning how to make love bank deposits as a husband and avoid love bank withdrawals. You can find no better help on this site that HerPapaBear.)

If you've made severe love bank withdrawals (such as an affair) your account is in the red. Yet I assure you that Dr. Harley is correct: if you do the right things and do them long enough, your wife will fall in love with you.

If you are feeling like you are having trouble sticking with it, Dr. Harley does recommend you talk to your doctor about prescribing an antidepressant for awhile. It will help keep you rational and help keep you using your intelligence to solve the many problems you need to solve in order to recover your marriage. I did this myself several months ago when things were not going well and I was in despair. It worked pretty good. With a lot more calm I was more able to see the course of action I needed to take to fix things. It's exactly what you are being advised here: keep doing the right things, and avoiding the wrong things, for a long enough time to bring your account in your wife's love bank up from the red, to neutral, and finally past the romantic love threshold.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Hi,
Been a while since I've posted. Reading threads though.
Finally completed reading" love busters" and "his needs her needs". Just started reading " Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders".

Listen to the radio show, too! It's free, and it's like sitting in class with Dr. Harley every day.

It's one of the most important things that kept (keeps) me going long enough to recover our marriage.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by HerPapaBear
On our way home I just had to ask her though what was really bothering her...and she said...that she feels her life is ruined and she only has one life.

Again, you had to dredge up her unhappiness!

When you're adultery is the cause of her pain, it's best to stop bringing it to the surface with probing questions. Dates are meant to create new, good, fun, enjoyable memories. Yet you are destroying the opportunities.

You know, I have made this mistake so, so often. Yet I have learned that if I just NEVER do this, my wife will typically talk to me later if it's something she needs me to correct. She can bring it to my attention if she wants. If she doesn't want to, asking her about it will probably be a love bank withdrawal. In some circumstances in the past as a clueless husband, I'd get better mileage out of coming here and asking, but these days if I don't know myself, it's best to wait.

Focus on making love bank deposits and avoiding withdrawals. Use whatever feedback she is willing to offer you to refine your approach. (Or improve your game, if you like sports metaphors.) The higher your balance is in her love bank, the better feedback she will offer you, I promise you. Meanwhile, there are some things that she should not talk about if the two of you want to recover, so if she seems silent or upset, respect that, and don't try to force her to bring it into the open and let you fix it.

M
M
Thanks HoldHerHand. Reminds me of the story of Craig not liking Joan's friend Bev in love busters. It's not that I don't like her friend...I am happy that she has such a good friend...I just want my wIfe to understand that when her friend interrupts the time we have to spend together it alienates me...and once her friend starts talking she tends to go on and on...even my wife admits it.

We have a safe word that we use to avoid love busters and take a step back from discussions if uncomfortable. I think though that when we use the safe word it only serves to indicate that a love buster is imminent and it makes the other partner upset anyway...

I will be asking my wife if we can have a POJA discussion about this issue...although I am afraid sometimes to speak up because as a WS I want to avoid causing more pain than I already have by having too many heavy conversations.

All you need to say is: "It bothers me when you take phone calls when we are on a date."

Then, let her decide what she is going to do about it, if anything.

If she doesn't feel like stopping behavior that bothers you, then demands, disrespect, or anger on your part will just make the problem worse. And let me assure you that you must avoid saying or doing ANYTHING that your wife even PERCEIVES as demanding, disrespectful, or angry. If she perceives it that way, then it is a love bank withdrawal, and no amount of debating over whether it really IS demanding disrespectful or angry or not will change her love bank.

M
M
I let her know that I thought it was inappropriate for her friend to be checking up on her constantly like that...something she does regularly. Guess that was wrong of me to say too because I was saying it out of frustration.

"I think it's inappropriate for you to do that" is a value judgment. It says there's a right and a wrong here, and you are the great moral teacher lecturing to enlighten her about what is right.

In other words, it's a disrepectful judgment.

"It bothers me when you take phone calls when we are on dates" is a statement about your feelings. It's not disrespectful at all. It doesn't say there's a right and a wrong. It just communicates information she can use to adjust her care for you - if she feels like it.

M
M
I tried telling her that maybe she should talk to them about it.

This was disrespectful, too. Unsolicited advice typically is, so it's best to avoid it entirely.

Think about it for a moment: do you think your wife has already considered this option? Do you think she's thought about talking to them? She'd already been thinking about the problem longer than you. Isn't "talk to them about it" kind of an obvious solution? Suggesting it probably looked a bit like this (I'm exaggerating): "Couldn't you just talk to them about it? This is an easy problem to solve. It's easy! Just talk to them! You sure are helpless without me to dispense my wisdom and tell you where to go." Major love bank withdrawal.

If I'd done that to my wife, she'd probably have responded "Thank you, Dr. Laura" or something else similarly sarcastic.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation