Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 43 of 62 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 61 62
E
E
That would be a good start. Going to him and saying you know this marriage builders thing I've been pushing tells me not to keep talking about the affair, apologize and demonstrate how MB is not just critical of him, but gives you instructions on how to do your part better as well.

A
OP Offline
A
When I read y'alls posts I cried. Partly because I'm sad I messed up and partly because I'm so grateful you are here helping me.

Thank you.

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by markos
Anointed, Dr. Harley usually says that if you are still feeling like this, it's because there are still problems in your marriage. In the present. Are there love busters in your marriage? Are you following the policy of undivided attention (rigorously)? These are the things to focus on with your husband, and be specific.

I agree. Yes there are major LBs. I complain often about Disrespectful Judgements on Ship's part, and I'm not perfect about them either. Mainly I get frustrated and just do it back to him. Stupid I know. And AOs. When Ship gets angry my stomach hurts and I don't want to be near him.

I think ANY DJ is a LB, whether or not it is directed at me. That's why I hate talking politics with Ship. He is so disrespectful about it. I hate driving in a car with him bc he makes DJs at people when they don't drive the way he thinks they should. He uses DJs as a way to "tell the truth" and if I don't like it I'm just a "liberal."

AOs- if the TV doesn't work, he curses and calls it a POS. Even if he says it under his breath I feel like wretching. I don't know why it bothers me so much if he isn't huffing and puffing. He curses quite a bit when he is angry, and he knows it hurts me. He does it anyway.

STOP BRINGING UP THE AFFAIR. Dr. Harley is pretty clear on this. Ship was wrong to have an angry outburst at you, but you never should have put him in that conversation in the first place. Figure out what needs to change to make a happy present and future and quit trying to fix the past.

I think you are getting caught up on the "hat in hand" phrase. That is Dr. Harley's rule of thumb for whether or not it is worth a wife risking her health to try to recover with a wayward husband. It is not a punishment for the wayward husband; it is not something that gives the betrayed wife lasting satisfaction and recovery. There are wives here whose husbands did NOT start with "hat in hand" repentance who still made it - typically at great cost. In their cases the husbands eventually came around to making the PRESENT marriage good, and it sounds like Ship has come to that point.

I'm so sorry. I was trying to hold it in. I was trying to stop thinking about it. My mindset was wrong. I thought that since it was bothering me so much that I should have RH about it. I felt awful bringing it up.

As far as telling people, I don't understand why you didn't tell your family and his family a year or two back when we were all posting about that, but if I remember right, you talked to Dr. Harley on the radio, and I would suggest you follow his advice. (BrainHurts can probably figure out the exact link to the show if you need. smile ) Don't tell people just to force him to be contrite.

Dr. Harley said that Ship should be willing to tell people based on the simple fact that I said it would make me feel better....that Just Compensation was never reached. Ship disagreed. I was hoping Ship would come to terms with things and be able to speak more openly about it as time went on. I didn't force it.

What you need is not "hat in hand" repentance. What you need is good conversation, 15-30 hours a week, accompanied by affection, recreational companionship, and sexual fulfillment, with no love busters. Figure out what part of that is lacking and be honest and specific to Ship about it.

I agree so heartily with you markos. Ship says 15-30hrs is not possible. Ship does not agree with me on what LBs are, so it's pretty hard for him to completely eliminate them. In fact, he thinks that me reading here actually makes our marriage worse because it "makes" me upset.

It doesn't make me upset. I have felt so many of these things since the beginning of our marriage. I just never had the words to express them until I found this website.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Anointed
I guess I shouldn't be helping other people if we never recovered properly ourselves...especially if it upsets me and I bring it up to Ship. He said he HATES that conversation, and I don't blame him.

Having that conversation is a violation of Dr. Harley's recommendations. It's an enemy of good conversation:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5056_qa.html

(This material is in the conversation chapter of His Needs, Her Needs. Why don't you and Ship go through it together, as part of building a happy present and future?)

Ok. I'm willing to do that. I just don't know about Ship. I don't want him to feel like all of this is "work."

I've said this before, and I do realize it is a DJ- I am worried that I'm not worth the effort to Ship.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Why not try to win him over to follow the program by showing him what is in it for him? As a perfect example, the program specifies that you not dwell on each other's mistakes of the past, and I'm sure he would love to make an agreement with you to follow that rule! Get out His Needs, Her Needs and go over the conversation chapter together. Show him what's in it for him. In the most recent edition, Dr. Harley uses the conversation chapter to basically spell out the entire Marriage Builders program: fifteen hours a week of conversation a week, following the friends of good conversation, avoiding the enemies (which include dwelling on mistakes of the past or present, and demands, disrespect, and angry outbursts), joined with recreational companionship.

Stop NOT doing the program. Start doing it.

What if Ship doesn't agree? Then what?

I've been asking him to be more honest with me. He doesn't always say what he's thinking because he's afraid he will hurt me (I know I'm sensitive.)

But I'd rather know he feels like things are a waste of time then for him to do it and then resent me for it while I'm on my way thinking everything is fine.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
So in other words, you are hurting, not because of what Ship has done. (Not saying it didn't hurt) You are hurting because of other factors, things you could have done better, personal regrets, and so forth.

Wow. Yes. That is why I'm hurting.

So I should have internalized this. I'm sorry for hurting Ship.

Seems like a judgement. Like his manner of showing empathy is found lacking.

How do I say it without making a judgment? That I don't feel validated when I speak my feelings?

Not very good radical honesty if he's been asking what is wrong and you avoid giving the answer.

It's hard to be empathetic when you are "told" things are fine, or at least hid them and expect the other person to figure out what is wrong and provide the right amount and type of empathy.

Is it possible that your actions contribute to the empathy problems?

I agree. I'm not always honest. I was trying to keep it to myself because I don't want to bring up our past. When I don't share that I'm upset, yes I am contributing to the empathy problem.

But when I do share my feelings and I'm told that I "should have done..." or "if I would just...." then I definitely don't feel validated.

Did he say he wasn't willing, or do you sit in judgment?

I was going to respond with my reasoning here, but really I shouldn't have brought it up. If I was being a caring wife I wouldn't have said such things.

Dose he want a marriage ministry? The family knowing is part of exposure. The marriage ministry is a POJA issue.

Ship has said that one day he could see us having a marriage ministry. He doesn't want to expose to family because he feels his past would be used as ammunition against him. "They aren't safe."

Who says he's not willing to do more?

What is he willing to do? What has he done already?

He says he's willing to let ME tell people, but he is angry about it. So is he willing?

He has all the appropriate EPs in place, so on that front he has done what is needed.

Just Compensation with a fulfilling marriage that meets my ENs and avoids LBs? Not yet.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Please, can't I just forget about it? Why do I feel like I need more from him after all this time?

You need more because everybody needs a marriage free of love busters, with emotional needs met.

STOP linking it to the affair. You are shooting yourself in the foot and killing your chances of getting your needs met. The affair is not a weapon to use to force him to meet your needs. Everybody needs their emotional needs met, affair or not.

Those needs aren't going to go away after "time." And those needs were not caused by a long ago affair. And him feeling bad about the past will not meet those needs, no matter how bad he feels. It will never give him the ability to read your mind and figure out what you need. You have to tell him, following the Marriage Builders policy of radical honesty.

Have you ever talked to your husband about Marriage Builders without talking about his past mistake? I would imagine he feels very averse to talking about it if it always means having to think about his past mistakes again. He probably thinks of Marriage Builders as being something that keeps the resentment alive for years, and probably doesn't realize that Marriage Builders tells you to stop talking about his affair.

I really appreciate this markos. Thank you. I thought I was hurting because I was being triggered or something. Thank you for giving me clarity on this.

Yes we talk about MBs all the time without bringing up the past. I think Ship thinks I'm talking about our past sometimes when I'm not.

Like when we discuss travel. His new job has travel, but we discussed me going along so he took the job. Now when I bring it up he feels like I'm checking up on him. I'm protecting my marriage, like I would whether or not there was an affair.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
M
M
Can I ask why he would take a travel job when you know better?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L

IIRC, you were bothered that this affair wasn't revealed to his family.
Dr. Harley advised that even "now" (what, a year ago?) for him to go on ahead and let them know.

It's like having a condition for recovery that wasn't met and you let meeting this condition go undone.

Like it or not, it's still getting between you two and recovery isn't happening.

It's still part and parcel of sweeping it under the rug, of not engaging in radical honesty.

Again, I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly, so if my memory's off, I apologize.

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Can I ask why he would take a travel job when you know better?

Thank you for coming to my thread MelodyLane!!

We have actually been stuck financially for about 4 years now because we have avoided jobs that travel for so long. I finally gave in so that we could breath again (and barely) when Ship said, "I'll do anything to make you comfortable with travel."

So we agreed I would travel with him as much as humanly possible. I said at LEAST once a quarter, and he said that he believes he can do his job in such a way that minimizes travel.

I'll admit, I'm wary.

Ship said he'd do anything...

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by LifetimeLearner
IIRC, you were bothered that this affair wasn't revealed to his family.
Dr. Harley advised that even "now" (what, a year ago?) for him to go on ahead and let them know.

It's like having a condition for recovery that wasn't met and you let meeting this condition go undone.

Like it or not, it's still getting between you two and recovery isn't happening.

It's still part and parcel of sweeping it under the rug, of not engaging in radical honesty.

Again, I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly, so if my memory's off, I apologize.

Yes, Dr Harley said telling his family was part of Just Compensation.

I have been in limbo about it because it was 9 years ago! And if his family is going to use this information as weapons to judge him, what do I do?

Married 20 yrs
4 children
M
M

I have been in limbo about it because it was 9 years ago! And if his family is going to use this information as weapons to judge him, what do I do?

Nothing. You have no control over others.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Is there a reason why you haven't told them?

Exposure 101

L
L

weightlifter

I wish there was a thumbs up icon!

Keeping it hidden simply isn't working.

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
A
OP Offline
A
Is there a reason why you haven't told them?

Yes. Ship doesn't want me to.

That's the only reason.

After all this time, would you tell them knowing how much it would hurt him?

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by LifetimeLearner

weightlifter

I wish there was a thumbs up icon!

Keeping it hidden simply isn't working.

I agree. At this point though, isn't it best to POJA this? Should it still make such a difference? I wish I could just tun that part off...cut it off of me...something. I hate that it lingers.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
I've been thinking about this. I'd like it if he would call his grandmother, father, mother, and 4 siblings to tell them what happened 10 years ago, apologize, and ask forgiveness.

Then I'd like him to do the same with my mom and brother.

That's 9 people.

And...I was wondering. What about our children? It never crossed my mind to tell them because they were 2 and 4 at the time. Now they are 12 and 14. Why would they need to know?

Married 20 yrs
4 children
M
M
I don't get why you don't just tell them and get it over with and move on rather than staying in limbo wishing he would do this.

And I don't get why other Marriage Builders provisions and suggestions are being put on the back burner relative to this very simple thing. Do it or don't do it, but move on because there's a lot of work to be done to make your PRESENT and FUTURE happy! Quit waiting for Ship to decide; either tell them or don't tell them, but get done with it.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I've been thinking about this. I'd like it if he would call his grandmother, father, mother, and 4 siblings to tell them what happened 10 years ago, apologize, and ask forgiveness.

Then I'd like him to do the same with my mom and brother.

This isn't exactly Marriage Builders exposure you are talking about, because in Marriage Builders YOU expose. It would sure be a token of goodwill on his part to do this, but it's been a decade and he hasn't done it and he doesn't want to. You're not going to be able to drag him to do this or wait for him to do this, and that's a way to keep yourself in limbo forever.

Do you want to tell them? Or just skip it? I think either one is fine, but I think you need to move on promptly.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
A
OP Offline
A
I've been in limbo because I don't want Ship to be angry, and to tell them at this point would definitely make him angry.

We are to confess our sins to one another. The people I listed watched us go through the worst time of our lives with a great deal of confusion as to why.

I want them to know, and I want Ship to ask forgiveness. So I'm changing a policy into a demand by wanting it to be done that way?

I don't know that I would feel better if I told them myself. I'd feel better if Ship asked forgiveness because there is a level of being contrite that goes with that...one that I haven't really seen.

He has only gotten ANGRY when I've brought up telling his parents from day one. I'm looking for humility. Am I spinning my wheels?

Married 20 yrs
4 children
Page 43 of 62 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 61 62

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 526 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation