Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 44 of 62 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 61 62
A
OP Offline
A
I realize this may be frustrating to you markos.

I get what you are saying. I have not understood proper boundaries for most of our marriage. I've been learning about them in the past couple of years, and it has helped me stand on firmer footing with Ship. But it hasn't changed the fact that I waver easily when it comes to him.

If he's upset it is very tempting for me to just cave to make it all better. I'm trying to teach myself to do what is right and what is needed despite Ship's reaction.

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
I emailed Dr Harley about a couple of things. Don't know if he will answer since Ship stopped emailing him. Ship felt that Dr H was making DJs about him.

Dr H has stated several times now that Ship has not shown me care. In portions of our lives I would say that is true.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
I read what Dr H said to ship 9 months ago via email. I don't see any DJs.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
M
M
Originally Posted by Anointed
We are to confess our sins to one another.

But it's not your job to decide that for Ship. You can only decide if you are going to tell the truth or not.

You were thinking about this four years ago. Isn't it going to be worse in another four years? Just do it and get it over with.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I've been in limbo because I don't want Ship to be angry, and to tell them at this point would definitely make him angry.

We are to confess our sins to one another. The people I listed watched us go through the worst time of our lives with a great deal of confusion as to why.

I want them to know, and I want Ship to ask forgiveness. So I'm changing a policy into a demand by wanting it to be done that way?

I don't know that I would feel better if I told them myself. I'd feel better if Ship asked forgiveness because there is a level of being contrite that goes with that...one that I haven't really seen.

He has only gotten ANGRY when I've brought up telling his parents from day one. I'm looking for humility. Am I spinning my wheels?

You are looking for him to have a change of heart without you changing your behavior. It doesn't work that way. Change your behavior first. His changes will come later.

If you wait for him to change, you will still be here asking the same questions in another four years, won't you?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
In order to eliminate my angry outbursts toward Prisca, I had to learn to quit trying to extract the right actions and the right feelings out of her.

It was a very valuable lesson in life, and it has helped me everywhere else.

Just tell everybody what happened. Tell them "I want you to know that ten years ago my husband had an affair." Answer any questions they have. DON'T worry about their reactions. That's not your job. Don't try to ensure they have the right response. That's their job, not yours. DON'T worry about his reaction. That's his job, not yours.

I want you guys to actually get started with Marriage Builders instead of staying stuck on this forever.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by markos
You are looking for him to have a change of heart without you changing your behavior. It doesn't work that way. Change your behavior first. His changes will come later.

What do you mean by this? What behavior are you suggesting I change? My not exposing?

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
In order to eliminate my angry outbursts toward Prisca, I had to learn to quit trying to extract the right actions and the right feelings out of her.

Just tell everybody what happened. Tell them "I want you to know that ten years ago my husband had an affair." Answer any questions they have. DON'T worry about their reactions. That's not your job. Don't try to ensure they have the right response. That's their job, not yours. DON'T worry about his reaction. That's his job, not yours.

I want you guys to actually get started with Marriage Builders instead of staying stuck on this forever.

Yes, I told Ship not long ago that I felt he has anxiety because he tries to control his environment and "correct" the world around him. It's not good for him and not good for the marriage.

I've been praying that he come to the very same realization, markos, because it is wearing me out.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
P
P
Dr H has stated several times now that Ship has not shown me care.
I agree.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M

What do you mean by this? What behavior are you suggesting I change? My not exposing?

Yes, that. smile

M
M

Yes, I told Ship not long ago that I felt he has anxiety because he tries to control his environment and "correct" the world around him. It's not good for him and not good for the marriage.

I've been praying that he come to the very same realization, markos, because it is wearing me out.

Okay, but you need to come to this realization, too. Your posts are all about why you can't do this because of what other people will do, AND all about what you wish Ship would do.

My earnest advice to you is just do this and get this over with.

Last edited by markos; 06/25/13 11:09 AM.

P
P
And, again, I agree. Just get it over with so you two can start recovery.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
You are doing the same thing.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

A
OP Offline
A
Ok.

Ok.

Oh God help me. Ok.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
M
M
Ok.

Ok.

Oh God help me. Ok.

We're praying for you Anointed, and are sure that he will help you. We're gonna help you, too.

Just go tell people, get it done, and get busy with the rest of Marriage Builders.

A
OP Offline
A
It's done.

My mom, my brother, his mom, his dad, his siblings, and his grandmother.

I'm waiting for one sibling to call me back, but it's done.

Don't know what to expect when Ship gets home. When he gets off of work I will let him know I have exposed and give him time to think while he drives home (if he comes home).

I think our two children who were born during that time should know based on MB. Thinking we should do that asap in order to avoid talking about this stuff longer than necessary. My son is out of town, so we can talk to him (or I will if Ship won't) when he gets back.

Edit: our 14 year old knows now, too. Why draw this all out?

Last edited by Anointed; 06/25/13 02:31 PM.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach like "what did I do?????"

But I know it was the right thing. I got support.

I sent emails to the 3 males in the family because I don't really "chat" with them much.

But the girls, I have talked to. And they seemed to understand (well except for his mom- she kept telling me that I just needed to forgive and move on. I said I agree. I've been trying. That is what this exposure was about. To get the support I needed and the not bring it up anymore.)

I couldn't figure out why I needed to expose 10 years after the fact, but the more I talked to each person it came to me. I lost something very precious.

It was like I had a precious child who died and then had the funeral with no one there for support because they didn't even know the child existed.

I lost something precious. It died. And I wanted my family to know about it, and now they do.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
S
S
Support from your own family is a major reason Dr H gives for exposing even a current affair. I have heard him stress that over and above the prospect of causing the affair to end. Keeping the WS accountable is also important, but he seems to think that family support is vital for the BS.

I'm very glad that you did this, Anointed and that you are getting family support. This was a tremendous loss for you to bear alone.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you SugarCane. I feel better.

I'm still nervous about Ship's reaction, but like I have been told "I cannot control other people's actions."

I cannot control other people's actions.

And God is faithful.

God is faithful.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
T
T
Hi Anoited,

Good for you, I am happy you have put that behind you!

I wanted to say my H had an A years ago, (more then 10 yrs) he exposed himself to his family, and others before I even knew of the A, I told my family and fiends. Both families are very dysfunctional so I got little support.

My H and I were not using MB, and I never quite got over the A, years later I still felt anger and resentment, but over time it wasn't so much about the A or OW, as it was the way he behaved during the A.

Anyway, my point is I NEVER thought I could get past this. The resentment did magically go away, finally years later, once my EN were being met through the marriage. I really think that will be the key here also. smile

Page 44 of 62 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 61 62

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 526 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation