Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
M
Originally Posted by Eric777
No, no - please - make no mistake, I want to save this marriage!

Great! We can help you do this. First, I would get the book Surviving an Affair asap so you know what you are dealing with. It is on kindle and you can get it on kindle for PCs if you don't have a kindle or IPAD.

Secondly, I would do your best to try to persuade her not to leave. If you are separated, her affair is going to grow and thrive. It will be harder to save your marriage. So, see if you can stop that train. I would write her a love letter that says in effect that a) you want to have a happy, romantic, passionate marriage with her, b) you are willing to correct the mistakes of the past IF she will end her affair. Give her something like this:

Dear WW,

I apologize to you for my part in creating an environment that helped make your affair with Sally possible. I understand that I did not do a good job of making you happy. I know the mistakes I made and we are now suffering from that.

You told me earlier that you do not want our marriage back. I agree with you. I don't want that old marriage back. I am not willing to remain in a loveless, unfulfilling marriage either. But I do know a way that we can turn that around if we are both willing. I would be willing to try under certain conditions. I know others who have turned marriages much worse than this into romantic, happy, fulfilling marriages. That is what I want.

And wouldn't the ideal solution be for us to be in love again? That would be my ideal. I want you to know I have a plan to turn this around if you are willing.

In the meantime, I have given much thought to our separation agreement and have decided against it. I can't think of any good reason to leave my home so I won't be going anywhere on Friday. I will cooperate with any plans that are good for our marriage, but not with a separation.

I want us to be able to rebuild our marriage someday. We need to build a new lifestyle in which everything we do makes us both happy. I want to be your best friend, someone who is always there for you when you need me. And I want you as my best friend.

All my love, BS

Please click on the notify button and ask the mods to move this thread to the Surviving an Affair forum.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P

Does your wife know this? Your actions are more like revenge.

Your wife wants to see you fight for her.

The only thing going on here is that you have switched residences while continuing the separation.

Have you read this:

Originally Posted by Pepperband
The Carrot and the Stick of Plan A

The carrot of Plan A

Meeting your wandering spouse's emotional needs.

Making "home" a warm and inviting place to be.

Placing emphasis on what has worked in the marriage.

Showing consistent self improvement in areas where previously lacking.

Stop lovebusting behaviors.

Communicating with a calm reassuring voice and relaxed body language, even in the center of a verbal storm created by the infidel.

Becoming the person any reasonable spouse would want to come home to.

Remaining open to the possibility of recovery.

Offering forgiveness and understanding.

The stick of Plan A

Exposing adultery where it matters most. Exposure that takes the form of a swift and sudden unexpected tsunami of truth.

Not appologizing for exposure or speaking the truth in a kind yet direct way.

Directly communicating the hurt and devastation that the affair has caused.

Not accepting blame for the infidel's choice to become adulterous.

Let the consequences of adultery and infidelity fall freely upon the heads of the adulterous.

Establishing boundaries that disallow the affair to effect children of the marriage, financal security of the marriage, and otherwise ruin innocent bystanders.

Standing up to infidelity as a beast that must be slayed for the good of the family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plan A is both a *carrot* and a *stick*.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

M
M

I'm not going to date anyone - it's not something I even think I could do anyway. I'm just still scared, confused and have no idea what I am really supposed to be doing. I'm reading all of the stuff on here, so I'm getting ideas, and am going to try my hardest to do things right. I know I posted some things that made it sound like "i give up", but my emotions are all over the place between anger, resentment, sadness, you name it. My mind is trying to survive this, and protect itself, a lot of raw instincts keep kicking in.

We understand. Most of us have been there, in one way or another.

If you want to save your marriage - first off, calm down! You need to stay focused and calm and rational to follow this plan. If your emotions have you all over the map so badly that you can't follow the steps exactly, you won't make it. So try to focus and use your rationality to override your emotions for a bit, even though underneath it is definitely raw and hurting worse than you ever thought possible.

Dr. Harley often suggests betrayed spouses get their doctor to prescribe an antidepressant for awhile after D-Day. An antidepressant has the effect of evening out the highs and lows of your emotions, giving you the chance to keep your wits about you and do what needs to be done. I used one myself when we were having trouble and I was too emotional to keep working - and it did the trick. My doctor even echoed just what Dr. Harley said, stating that he has seen a lot of patients who need something like this for a short time "so they can do what needs to be done" in a crisis.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
E
Eric777 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
The not leaving train departed already, she moved out. There is no talking her into coming back here to work on it in the same house. Believe me, I tried.

I actually did write her a letter nearly identical to that, as well as numerous in-person conversations, but she still insisted on a separation.

I think I'm doing pretty much everything in Plan A, the only thing is, we are separated, this isn't going to happen with us living together(I want it to be living together, but it's just not possible to convince her to not be separated).

I really don't need meds, I feel ok in that regard, feel pretty strong. Been working a lot, no worries there.

Last edited by Eric777; 06/26/13 11:15 AM.
M
M
I think I'm doing pretty much everything in Plan A,

You registered six days ago and have 22 posts.

There is no way you even know what all is involved in Plan A, yet.

Slow down, friend. Get educated.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P

Who did you expose to and what did you say? Is OM married or have a girlfriend?

How did you find out? Did your wife return home with him? What happened?

You need to work with us and give us more information if you want constructive help in recovering your marriage.

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

M
M
Have you watched those videos I linked to, yet, before pronouncing your Plan A perfect?

I notice that the first time I posted them, you replied "I read all that," even though you hadn't actually viewed the videos. You probably hadn't read all the articles, either.

It sounds to me like you have a tendency to quickly reply but to skip the important educational materials. This board really can't help you if you aren't going to do the work yourself to LEARN Dr. Harley's plan "Marriage Builders" so that you can USE that plan to save your marriage.

If you are committed to LEARNING and USING the plan, we can help you greatly with that!

P
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Great! We can help you do this. First, I would get the book Surviving an Affair asap so you know what you are dealing with. It is on kindle and you can get it on kindle for PCs if you don't have a kindle or IPAD.

Secondly, I would do your best to try to persuade her not to leave. If you are separated, her affair is going to grow and thrive. It will be harder to save your marriage. So, see if you can stop that train. I would write her a love letter that says in effect that a) you want to have a happy, romantic, passionate marriage with her, b) you are willing to correct the mistakes of the past IF she will end her affair. Give her something like this:

Dear WW,

I apologize to you for my part in creating an environment that helped make your affair with Sally possible. I understand that I did not do a good job of making you happy. I know the mistakes I made and we are now suffering from that.

You told me earlier that you do not want our marriage back. I agree with you. I don't want that old marriage back. I am not willing to remain in a loveless, unfulfilling marriage either. But I do know a way that we can turn that around if we are both willing. I would be willing to try under certain conditions. I know others who have turned marriages much worse than this into romantic, happy, fulfilling marriages. That is what I want.

And wouldn't the ideal solution be for us to be in love again? That would be my ideal. I want you to know I have a plan to turn this around if you are willing.

In the meantime, I have given much thought to our separation agreement and have decided against it. I can't think of any good reason to leave my home so I won't be going anywhere on Friday. I will cooperate with any plans that are good for our marriage, but not with a separation.

I want us to be able to rebuild our marriage someday. We need to build a new lifestyle in which everything we do makes us both happy. I want to be your best friend, someone who is always there for you when you need me. And I want you as my best friend.

All my love, BS

Please click on the notify button and ask the mods to move this thread to the Surviving an Affair forum.

The not leaving train departed already, she moved out. There is no talking her into coming back here to work on it in the same house. Believe me, I tried.

I actually did write her a letter nearly identical to that, as well as numerous in-person conversations, but she still insisted on a separation.

Melody put a lot of thought and time in her post only to have you come back and tell us that you have already done that.

It would have been helpful to Melody to have known that so she could have saved herself the time.

That is really frustrating when you are trying to help someone. Posters will stop replying to your thread if they find that they are just wasting their time.

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

E
Eric777 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by pokerface
Who did you expose to and what did you say? Is OM married or have a girlfriend?

How did you find out? Did your wife return home with him? What happened?

You need to work with us and give us more information if you want constructive help in recovering your marriage.

I found out when over the weekend, she wasn't where she told me she was going to be, and I figured out where she was due to a hunch(I could go into that, but it's not really important or relevant - it has to do with cell phone reception areas). Bottom line is I caught her, I confronted her, and she admitted to being with that person and spending the night on the boat. She wouldn't admit to physical stuff, but did admit that she was in communication with him all these weeks since we met the POS, and that she wants to continue to see him. I have made it VERY clear how I don't find it acceptable, and how it is devastating my life and our marriage.

I exposed it to family and friends. Everyone knows.

I'm sorry if I haven't read everything just yet, this is all only a week old, there is a lot to read here, and a ton of other things I have to take care of otherwise given the situation. On top of all of that, my job has placed an exhorbitant amount of pressure on me(basically the fate of 50 people's jobs is riding on my small team to produce a deliverable in the near future).

I'll read more of it soon, I promise. Thanks to everyone that has been trying to help me, I'm going to focus on using this site from here on out with regards to this, seems like the best advice is coming here.

P
P
I exposed it to family and friends. Everyone knows.

You need to ask for their support in saving your marriage by using their influence to get your wife to do the right thing.

It is crucial to expose the OM. Without that, he is free to pursue your wife because no one is watching him or knows the truth about his adultery. His friends and family will welcome your wife because they think she is separated and divorcing. They need to know that HE is assaulting someone else's family and is the reason for the separation.

Is he married? Does he work at the marina?

I have made it VERY clear how I don't find it acceptable, and how it is devastating my life and our marriage.

She already knows that. Exposure and having to explain it to her peers (dose of reality) will get you farther than trying to educate her.

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

M
M
What I was saying in regards to Plan A and B, is that I initially did some of the Plan A things, but it's time for Plan B now, which is where we are.

I wanted to go back and mention, Plan B is not likely to save a man's marriage. It's for protecting you from unendurable abuse. If you want to save your marriage, you have to stay in Plan A. If it starts to feel unendurable, try the antidepressants before moving to Plan B.

E
Eric777 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by pokerface
She already knows that. Exposure and having to explain it to her peers (dose of reality) will get you farther than trying to educate her.

Right on.

Question - the OM threatened with me with physical violence in writing. I'm pretty sure I can get a restraining order against him if I wanted. He spends a lot of time at this marina because his father keeps a boat there. This is a place that I hang out quite a bit at too. Should I get the restraining order, or is that not a great idea and in violation of Plan A? I mean, honestly, I could just avoid going there this summer, but should I be making things harder on them having this affair, or does that seem vindictive and petty? It's not like I'm really afraid of him.

Oh - more info on him - he is not married. His family is aware now.

Last edited by Eric777; 06/26/13 01:19 PM.
M
M
I would get the restraining order. If you are lucky, the judge will also order him to stay away from your wife.

Plan A does not require you to be nice to the affair partner.

E
Eric777 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by markos
I would get the restraining order. If you are lucky, the judge will also order him to stay away from your wife.

O.k, will do.

M
M
Have you watched the videos yet?

E
Eric777 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Have you watched the videos yet?

Not yet, I did read most of the articles though. Busy work day/night/all nighter - but I do plan on watching them first chance I get, thanks.

One thing I am doing is trying to slow down all of this. It's been a real whirlwind week. Tomorrow I'm going to a ballgame, saturday taking my friends out on my boat. Things that I can look forward too and make myself happy. Not doing anything quick and rash(and so far I really haven't, other than stupidly deciding initially to be the one to move out and rent that apartment).

Last edited by Eric777; 06/26/13 11:23 PM.
I
I

O.k, will do.

I'd show his written threats to her family. That will warm up his welcome!

Also notify the marina. Perhaps they might consider moving his families boat away from yours (and to a less desirable location as a side effect). I'm sure they don't want his kind of trouble.

Me 58: FWH (NC 32 yr), W 60, married 36 yr, DD 32
G
G
Eric,

Isn't making terroristic threat a crime you can get OM hauled off to jail for?

God Bless
Gamma

K
K
Yes. When I was a teen, I went to juvenile jail for making terroristic threats

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

E
Eric777 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Update:

I did write another letter to her, based on how Melodylane wrote it. I don't know if she has seen it just yet, but she will certainly by this evening.

We are still separated, she is still seeing the OM, and living in the apartment. I've exposed everything, I don't know that it will help(I feel like her moral compass is completely gone right now), though her father said she better never bring the [censored] to his house. Thursday I went with her father to a ballgame, and we talked about it some. Everyone in her family feels like she is making a huge, selfish mistake. As far as the OM's family is concerned, they all are aware too, and have apparently been from the start. I think they even condone it. They are a bunch of scumbags, TBH. Our friends know, and all think she is being an idiot.

That aside, I've been able to control myself around her, not get too upset, and judgmental. She knows what she is doing is destroying me, and everything we built over the last 13 years, so I try to stay strong around her when I do see her. I've been trying to spend time with friends, but they aren't always available. Yesterday I took my boat out by myself, because I thought it would be good to do, but soon found myself feeling lonely and depressed, and remembering all of the good times we had on it together. A couple of times I just fell apart and sobbed below deck. Eventually I pulled myself together and brought the boat back where I docked and cleaned up and got dinner alone in the marina. I had a few beers, and made a couple of new friends, went back to my boat and slept. I woke up feeling worse than ever, and came home and spent some time with my cats. Being home, and seeing them made me feel a bit better.

I still can't believe she is doing this, and that it ever happened. I know I played a role in pushing her away from me, but not once ever did I think the marriage was in trouble, and I never thought that she would ever cheat. I feel like my life is a living death right now. I don't want to, or think I need to, go on medication. I do need to mourn all of this, I think it is natural. As long as I can stay strong in front of her, I'll be ok.

She was supposed to stop by yesterday and pick up some of our furniture, but she never showed up. Tonight I'm going to meet a friend for dinner and watch the game. I feel like each day is some new challenge, but the weekends are brutal.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation