Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 48 of 62 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 61 62
M
M
Originally Posted by Anointed
he was told to meet my needs in order to get me more interested in SF. He didn't think that was fair.

You shouldn't debate or engage him on those opinions. Just adopt the recommendations yourself, whether he thinks it's fair or not.

He doesn't have to think it's "fair," but if he doesn't meet your needs met, he doesn't get his met. Don't YOU think that's fair? I do! He can have the conversation about how "unfair" it is by himself in an empty room, because he sure can't have it with you!

Ship thinks I paint him in a terrible light on this forum and that I don't give him credit for all the good things he does (there are a lot of great things about him.)

Okay, let him think that. But don't discuss it with him. Let him debate that himself by himself in an empty room.

Meanwhile, you have this GREAT plan where he can get his needs met, if he will start behaving himself, stop throwing fits, and start meeting your needs. When he gets tired of philosophizing about whether it's "fair" or not, he can decide to engage you on these terms you are offering, which are fair to you.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Ship is going to hate you all.

Shoot, I can't see why. I want to help the guy see how to get lots of fantastic sex in his marriage, with a happy wife!

I'm helping him get that by explaining to YOU not to put up with his misbehavior.

He will find that life (and sex) is a lot better (and more frequent) when it's lived with a wife who doesn't put up with the worst in him.

Last edited by markos; 06/26/13 12:11 PM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
A
OP Offline
A
In my thread I was told to clean up my side of the street and meet his ENs so he would want to meet mine. Isn't this backwards?

I like it better (sort of) but it is opposite of what I've been told, isn't it?

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by markos
Ship is going to hate you all.

Shoot, I can't see why. I want to help the guy see how to get lots of fantastic sex in his marriage, with a happy wife!

I'm helping him get that by explaining to YOU not to put up with his misbehavior.

He will find that life (and sex) is a lot better (and more frequent) when it's lived with a wife who doesn't put up with the worst in him.

You got a smirk out of me with this post markos. Well done.

I haven't felt like smiling lately.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
P
P
In my thread I was told to clean up my side of the street and meet his ENs so he would want to meet mine. Isn't this backwards?

And you've been doing that for how long now?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
Can somebody just turn me off for a few days? Can I just lay in bed and pretend this isn't happening? I'd rather not be here, and if it weren't for my children it's possible I would have been dead long ago.
You need to get to your doctor and get on antidepressants ASAP.

Don't overlook this possible benefit.

I went on ADs awhile back when I was breaking down emotionally and having trouble doing the work I needed to do to recover our marriage. It was a GOOD idea. Makes you think rationally, evens out the highs and the lows, for awhile, so you can do what needs to be done.

I'm off them now. And very, VERY happy.

M
M

Dr. Harley doesn't usually give this advice to women, although lots of uneducated folks on the board often do.

Yes, you do your part, but you also establish NO TOLERANCE for abusive behavior, and you also establish that you won't live with neglect forever.

Dr. Harley explains that women typically don't succeed when they try to win their husbands back like this. It does sometimes work, so they should try it at first (usually), but then they should move on and he has a lot of advice beyond that to go to.

M
M
No more sacrifice or capitulation!

Poster wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I disagree with the MB opinion that sacrifice does not tend to create appreciation. My father worked 3 jobs to support our family and my mother always took care of my father, my sisters, and myself before satisfying her own wants and needs. I have profound appreciation and love for these efforts. I have seen many successful marriages that involve sacrifice in raising autistic and handicapped children. In my marital experience during the first few years, I sacrificed enthusiastically to try to attain a peaceful and loving sanctuary for our marriage. These efforts failed because it seems that the more I gave, more was expected of me. It seems the priority of our marriage is that her needs (and all her wants, there is a difference between wants and needs) were met when she wanted and how she wanted TO THE LETTER. Otherwise the destructive cycles continue. She has always had the freedom to do what she wants. Should one not show gratitude for this and all the other blessings the good Lord has bestowed upon us?
Please W, be truthful. And please please be honest who has given and who has taken in our marriage. And please please take responsibility for your part in curtailing the giver and empowering the taker.

Dr. Harley: If sacrifice was all you say it was, we wouldn't be talking about it. A sacrifice is a unilateral gift, something that doesn't require appreciation because it's given unconditionally. My point is that, while there is a place for sacrifice in life, in marriage it tends to be sore spot. When one spouse gives to the other sacrificially, even if it's done enthusiastically, it tends to be unappreciated. If appreciation is required, it's no longer unconditional or sacrificial. Something is expected in return that makes the act worth doing, which takes it out of the realm of sacrifice.

I suggest that you and your wife leave the past in the past and begin negotiating for your future together, with mutual respect and appreciation for what you do for each other. here

Originally Posted by Dr Harley to a pastor who was recommending to a woman that she give her husband oral sex
Uh, where do I begin. I can't tell you how many couples I've counseled where one spouse did just what you suggested -- sacrifice their own enjoyment for the pleasure of their spouse. The reason I'm counseling them, of course, is that the one doing the sacrificing eventually can't take giving without receiving anymore, and wants a divorce. One recent cases that comes to mind is a pastor's wife. He gave your message to his wife throughout their marriage. They have reconciled, but only because he finally understands the concept of mutual care. Unless both he and his wife enjoy their sexual experience, she comes to hate it. Now they make love almost every day, not out of sacrifice, but out of mutual enthusiastic agreement. By the way, they've given up OS.

It's dangerous stuff you're recommending. It ruins marriages.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
Anointed,

Listen to today's show. In the last segment they answer the question about exposing 10, 20 years down the road.

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
A
OP Offline
A
Here is my recent email to Dr Harley and his response:

Hi again Dr. Harley,

It's too late. I've exposed. If you ever wondered what it looks like to wait 10 years to get the support of family after an affair, I'm your case.

Ship won't talk to me. The marriage may be over.

I'm really sad. I wanted a caring relationship. I have so much I need to work on, and I'm willing to if Ship is willing.

Thanks for your help,
Anointed
---------------------------------------------------
I�ve found that exposure does not hurt a marriage, but rather speeds up whatever would have happened anyway. In most cases, the exposed spouse is angry at first, but eventually sees the wisdom of it, and makes an effort to improve the marriage. In the cases where an exposed spouse does the opposite, there are factors that make me believe that the same thing would have happened without exposure.

Dr Harley

Last edited by Anointed; 06/26/13 01:18 PM.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A

I guess I'd have to ask Ship.

I slip up with LBs but I think I've greatly decreased them. I know I have almost completely eliminated SDs. DJs do slip out from time to time when I'm engaging him.

I've been trying for a while now.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
M
M

I slip up with LBs but I think I've greatly decreased them. I know I have almost completely eliminated SDs. DJs do slip out from time to time when I'm engaging him.

Prisca's point was that you have been doing it for far, far, far, far, far

far

far

FAR

FAR far longer than Dr. Harley recommends.

Dr. Harley recommends AGAINST the kind of unconditional love you've been giving Ship, where he gets his needs met even if he is abusive and neglectful.

M
M

This should be set aside until and unless he stops his abusive, bully behavior. Don't reward him and don't meet his needs until he knocks it off.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
No, Ship is not on board with UA time.

Wow, it must really SUCK for him to live without sexual fulfillment, then. He should really get on board with UA time, because it's a great way to get your wife HEAD OVER HEELS in love with you and get your emotional needs met, especially including sexual fulfillment.

I wasn't lying when I said I'm posting to help the guy!

He should really get on board with minding his P's and Q's around his wife, too. It's a brilliant policy that has made me a lot happier in my marriage.

M
M
No UA == No SF

This is Marriage Builders!

M
M
He doesn't even like me reading about MB and called it a LB that I even looked at it.

I would say "oh well" to that. It's a shame he's not on board with a plan to make YOU happy and make his marriage WONDERFUL.

Poor guy, this must really suck. Maybe he'll change his mind.

M
M
No UA == No SF

This is Marriage Builders!

Absolutely! My DH has to take me out on HOT DATES to get his needs met. And he better look cute! flirt

Exposure 101

A
OP Offline
A
He doesn't believe in IF, THEN mentalities.

He thinks we should both just meet each others' needs period.

No tit for tat.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
L
L
Here is my recent email to Dr Harley and his response:

Hi again Dr. Harley,

It's too late. I've exposed. If you ever wondered what it looks like to wait 10 years to get the support of family after an affair, I'm your case.

Ship won't talk to me. The marriage may be over.

I'm really sad. I wanted a caring relationship. I have so much I need to work on, and I'm willing to if Ship is willing.

Thanks for your help,
Anointed
---------------------------------------------------
I�ve found that exposure does not hurt a marriage, but rather speeds up whatever would have happened anyway. In most cases, the exposed spouse is angry at first, but eventually sees the wisdom of it, and makes an effort to improve the marriage. In the cases where an exposed spouse does the opposite, there are factors that make me believe that the same thing would have happened without exposure.

Dr Harley

There you go. Lingering for any longer to find out which way this will go would have only hurt you worse.

That was also on this thread. I was struggling in that area with him, and he was told to meet my needs in order to get me more interested in SF. He didn't think that was fair.

This is what unconditional love fosters.

No, Ship is not on board with UA time.

Wow, it must really SUCK for him to live without sexual fulfillment, then. He should really get on board with UA time, because it's a great way to get your wife HEAD OVER HEELS in love with you and get your emotional needs met, especially including sexual fulfillment.

rotflmao

This cracked me up!

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
M
M
He doesn't believe in IF, THEN mentalities.

He thinks we should both just meet each others' needs period.

No tit for tat.

And tell him you don't believe in sacrifice so if he wants sex he needs to get his crap together and work for it.

Exposure 101

Page 48 of 62 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 61 62

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 543 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation