Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 55 of 62 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 61 62
A
OP Offline
A
Ok, I did tell him. He said how can I schedule it if we dont know if it will work for UA time? I said we can just change it next week if we have to.

Or right away. I'd really like our lives to be more flexible...rolling with life.

Last edited by Anointed; 06/29/13 11:21 AM.

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
M
M
Originally Posted by Anointed
Ok, I did tell him. He said how can I schedule it if we dont know if it will work for UA time? I said we can just change it next week if we have to.

Yes, it's recommended to give things a try, and then if it doesn't work for one or both of you, try something else.

Dr. Harley speaks of UA time as a blank canvass. What the couple paints on it is up to that couple.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
And then of course you have to be honest and tell him if you find it doesn't work. And you know we will be on you to do that. smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
A
OP Offline
A
Ship said it would probably be best that i only go to female hairstylists from now on since I really enjoy when my face or head are touched.

I told him I actually prefer that he have a guy stylist. He is bringing me to his haircut today.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by markos
And then of course you have to be honest and tell him if you find it doesn't work. And you know we will be on you to do that. smile

Yes it's been hard to tell him when I have other preferences.

Ship said last night that maybe he is an anxious person. I'm encouraged by his self-reflection.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
K
K
I'm glad I only use clippers to cut my hair as it's so low maintenance and my wife can do my hair now. When it was long I wouldn't have a guy touch my hair. I have hair similar to a black person so I always had a black woman do mine.

Good luck on working out together. My wife and I tried that and it was a miserable experience for both of us. It was close to the lettuce shopping experience that Melody had. I've had female training partners before and it worked great but we were like minded when it came to training.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

P
P
How's the UA?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
I'm glad I only use clippers to cut my hair as it's so low maintenance and my wife can do my hair now. When it was long I wouldn't have a guy touch my hair. I have hair similar to a black person so I always had a black woman do mine.

Good luck on working out together. My wife and I tried that and it was a miserable experience for both of us. It was close to the lettuce shopping experience that Melody had. I've had female training partners before and it worked great but we were like minded when it came to training.

Thanks kilted_thrower.

I worked out with Ship for the first time in probably over a week yesterday. He did lots of high-fiving and butt-grabbing. lol

It was fun.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Prisca
How's the UA?

We have spent quite a bit of time together over the weekend. I didn't keep track of it, but it was a lot.

Ship asked me for the UA schedule he made so he could keep track of it, so it seems like he is serious about doing it.

We also had this text conversation today:

Ship: I love you with all my heart. Just want you to know that. Can you give me your list of my failures when I get home?

Me: I don't have a list. I love you too. Very much.

Ship: You are supposed to keep one per their plan. I have to learn!

Ship: How do you feeeeel about keeping a list this week so that I will know more about the things I do that sabotage our relationship? {>

----------------

I haven't been keeping a list because I didn't know how serious he was about knowing. I will now.

Should Ship be keeping a list about me right now? I know I've made some sarcastic statements (DJs) a few times lately.

Last edited by Anointed; 07/01/13 01:40 PM.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
K
K
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower

Thanks kilted_thrower.

I worked out with Ship for the first time in probably over a week yesterday. He did lots of high-fiving and butt-grabbing. lol

It was fun.

Awesome. My wife and I have polar opposite training styles. I thought we were gonna strangle each other. She just wanted to workout. I'm a competitive thrower so I train to enhance that and for fitness competitions. So I take my training very seriously with it all percentaged out and organized. I was trying to get her to dead lift and squat and do Olympic lifts. I ended up trying to coach her when this is the last thing she wanted.

At one point, I grabbed the bar, snapped at her, "Good lord! It's like this!" I ended up slamming the bar into my chin, chipped off part of my tooth, and dazed myself. She called me an ahole and walked off. And she was right that I was being a jerk and making it miserable for her. So now if we go together, we go to opposite sides

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

A
OP Offline
A
Wow kilted_thrower,

That would have scared me to death! smile

I'm glad you have figured out a way to exercise, but I know that if Ship and I can't do something that we both enjoy I won't be exercising with him.

So far so good.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
P
P
Markos and I LOVE working out together -- we find it a great way to flirt and admire each other, and have had some of our best conversations with each other then. smile Dr. Harley recommends it as a great activity to do together (although I've heard him say he and Joyce don't do it together because she doesn't enjoy it!).

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

A
OP Offline
A
SugarCane, thank you for posting this to me almost a year ago.

It still applies.

Originally Posted by SugarCane
Anointed, I have been so worried about the advice that you received about the locked door incident that I sent some time reading on the private forum to find similar cases, and see what Dr H's advice was. The nearest situation I could find involved a marriage in which there had been an affair. The couple had recently met Dr H at the weekend forum.

The BW wrote to Dr H because on a flight the previous weekend, she had felt ill. She told her H about feeling unwell and he had not responded in a caring manner. He had not comforted her on the flight and when they left the plane, he had left her to carry her own bags.

At home, when she complained about his lack of care for her on the flight, he did not think there had been anything wrong with the way he behaved. He pointed out that he did ask the steward for something to make his wife feel better. In all, he made it clear that he did not see why she was upset and did not think she should be.

This sounds a bit like your situation the other day, pregnant (which is not a short-term event, of course) and faced with your H's uncaring behaviour towards you. Since then, you have tried to explain why you felt uncared for in the hope that he will see how this hurts you and care enough to try and change his uncaring behaviour. He doesn't see what is upsetting about how he treated you so he is making no commitment to treating you more caringly in the future.

This was Dr H's response to the poster on the private forum:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
As you have already noticed, attending MBW or any other seminar for that matter, does not change habits. Habits are changed by repeating new behavior. Your husband's thoughtlessness behaviors are all habits that need to be changed. He doesn't feel any of the pain you feel when he acts in a thoughtless way, but wants to change. So you'll have to be patient with him while he practices those changes -- if you want your marriage, that is.

"Your husband's thoughtless behaviours are all habits that need to be changed".

This husband wanted to change, evidenced by his being at the weekend seminar. He had spoken to Dr H and Dr H knew this about him; he wanted to change. Therefore, Dr H's advice was for his wife to keep asking him to consider her feelings in all his actions, and for her to be patient because he wanted to change. But a change in behaviours was necessary if this wife was to fall in love with him again. Her LB was severely in the red because of the affair, and the uncaring behaviour was making this worse.

In a follow-up reply Dr H wrote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
I mentioned during MBW that women have more connections between neurons than men. And the band of fibers connecting the right and left hemispheres of their brain is much larger in women. It gives women a greater awareness of their surroundings, and empathy has a great deal to do with awareness. One negative aspect of this trait is that they often "care too much" and seem to be worried about how everyone in their lives are doing, including animals. The positive, of course, is that they bond with their partners much more quickly, and understand the value of the POJA more readily than men.

There are exceptions, however. Some of the couples we see consist of a husband with greater empathy than a wife. So it's not true that all women are more empathetic than men. And some men have a greater lack of empathy than the average man.

Men with a long history of thoughtlessness struggle with the changes that make them compatible with a woman. They usually feel that they are making progress by taking one small step at a time, while the woman in their life usually feels that the progress is way to small and too slow.

We'll try to speed things up in your case, but it will leave your husband feeling like a failure most of the time. He seems to lack the empathy you feel, but that doesn't mean that his behavior can't become thoughtful.
It's the same solution for you. If your H wants to make you happy he will need to commit to changing thoughtless behaviours, and he will need to listen to you when you complain, and not reject your complaint. If you are maintain your commitment to this marriage over time, then you need to see a willingness to change the behaviours you dislike, and, slowly, actual changes in your H's behaviour.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Markos and I LOVE working out together -- we find it a great way to flirt and admire each other, and have had some of our best conversations with each other then. smile Dr. Harley recommends it as a great activity to do together (although I've heard him say he and Joyce don't do it together because she doesn't enjoy it!).

Yes, I think it is good for us. I hope we can continue to do things we both like.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
S
S

It still applies.
It made me tear up to read your thanks.

The other day when you exposed, I felt a lot of pain for you when you described how hurt you've been by the affairs, and how you have been left alone to get over it. I've felt like that too, but I never had four children including a very young baby to cope with through it all. My heart goes out to you, Anointed.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
A
OP Offline
A
SugarCane, you are just so precious.

When I have some time I'll have to go read your story.

I'm so sorry for your pain.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Today's radio broadcast emphasized what markos and MelodyLane have been teaching me.

You clean up your side of the street for a period of time and hopefully your spouse will start applying MB for himself.

If not, Dr Harley does not suggest continuing on meeting his needs unilaterally.

ETA: Sorry markos, we are still not listening together. I'll ask Ship.

Last edited by Anointed; 07/01/13 04:07 PM.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
B
B
Originally Posted by SugarCane

It still applies.
It made me tear up to read your thanks.

The other day when you exposed, I felt a lot of pain for you when you described how hurt you've been by the affairs, and how you have been left alone to get over it. I've felt like that too, but I never had four children including a very young baby to cope with through it all. My heart goes out to you, Anointed.

hug to my friend Sugarcane

And hug to my friend Annointed.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
ETA: Sorry markos, we are still not listening together. I'll ask Ship.

It's great if you are listening regularly, and if he is listening regularly, and I think it's even better if you can listen together and discuss.

Long term, nothing helped Prisca and me more than the radio show. Because there was Dr. Harley in my car every day, keeping me motivated and educated. smile

M
M
How's the UA?

We have spent quite a bit of time together over the weekend. I didn't keep track of it, but it was a lot.

Ship asked me for the UA schedule he made so he could keep track of it, so it seems like he is serious about doing it.

We also had this text conversation today:

Ship: I love you with all my heart. Just want you to know that. Can you give me your list of my failures when I get home?

Me: I don't have a list. I love you too. Very much.

Ship: You are supposed to keep one per their plan. I have to learn!

Ship: How do you feeeeel about keeping a list this week so that I will know more about the things I do that sabotage our relationship? {>

----------------

I haven't been keeping a list because I didn't know how serious he was about knowing. I will now.

Should Ship be keeping a list about me right now? I know I've made some sarcastic statements (DJs) a few times lately.

I would suggest that you guys get the workbook and Love Busters and start working through the lessons in the workbook. You will start with selfish demands, then disrespectful judgments, then angry outbursts. You will keep lists for each other and exchange them in written form.

It sounds like your husband would like this, and that sounds like a good way to get him on board with accepting feedback from you. I know that Prisca was really motivated to follow the policy of joint agreement when she saw that I was serious about not doing anything without her enthusiastic agreement (I quit going out to lunch at work, and we quit seeing my parents for awhile, both because she was not enthusiastic). In the same way I would hope that he would be motivated to accept feedback if he is seeing that reminder that you are committed to living by the same rules (no SDs, DJs, AOs).

I would suggest you guys make an agreement to try the workbook and agree up front that, if things get difficult and there are fights over it, or if things drag out for more than a month or so without being able to progress through the lessons and eliminate these behaviors, you get into the Marriage Builders online program so you can get professional coaching from Dr. Harley's staff. Kim was great at helping us to disentangle from these three behaviors, and I've heard rave reviews about Sandy as well.

Prisca and I think you have done fantastic in reducing your disrespect for your husband over the past couple of years. With the tracking that the workbook would provide, you can hopefully get the chance to eliminate any other disrespect Ship sees, and also get him on board with eliminating his own demands, disrespect, and anger. And with an agreement to fallback to the online program if you guys can't do it alone, I think you could have confidence that the two of you can make it and eliminate love busters and start to have the marriage you've always wanted.

Page 55 of 62 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 61 62

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 76 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation