Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
S
SEJ3 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
We have been married for 9 years, we have 3 children, and I love my wife dearly, but 2 months ago I learned of her 5 month affair with a married man. Since that time we have started working through his needs her needs and have made progress in improving our relationship. We are spending the 15 hours a week together and learning more about each other than we ever knew. My wife will hug me and have sex with me, but says she can't kiss me because she has some kind of mental block. She says she knows she still has a bit of a wall up but is trying to let me in. What hurts most is she said the best part of her affair was all of the kissing and passion, but that we just don't have that. Please help, it is like a dagger each time she rejects my kiss.

I
I
15 hours over 2 months won't be enough to build passion.

Its closer to 25 hours after an affair. You're using the wrong book, you need Surviving an Affair.

What steps have you taken to recover from the A as recommended by Dr H?

Exposure? NC?

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
The obvious exposure targets are the betrayed wife, and your kids if they are over four. Do they know?

Is no contact in place with the other man and did your wife send an NC letter?

Is the OM a distant memory now? There is no incidental contact, no leftover gifts lying around?

Did you get STD tested?

It sounds like the UA time you are doing is productive in quality at least. What needs are you meeting during UA time?

Originally Posted by SEJ3
My wife will hug me and have sex with me, but says she can't kiss me because she has some kind of mental block. She says she knows she still has a bit of a wall up but is trying to let me in. .

Stop having sex with her for now. She isn't ready entirely yet and isn't being honest about that out of misplaced duty. She is having sex unwillingly and doing that can lead to full blown sexual aversion - you don't want that!

People don't fall in love by having sex. Fix the love bank FIRST, have sex later.

You'll get all the passion you want if you sit her down and tell her you want to wait a little longer for sexual passion to return. Women love a gentleman who puts them first.

It will come.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

S
SEJ3 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
She has been willing to answer all questions about the affair, she has given me all of her passwords, and given up her cell phone. When she leaves the house she always lets me know where she is going. She has been very willing to be open and has told me multiple times she is remorseful. I have tried very hard to not keep bringing up the affair and trying to deposit love units into her bank. I can see now where I had neglected her most important need of intimate conversation. We talk everyday now. Before the affair she was sleeping upstairs always saying because one of the kids couldn't sleep or was sick, or she needed to study and didn't want to bother me. Now we sleep in the same bed every night. We seem to be improving our relationship,but her refusing to kiss me is very hurtful, especially knowing that kissing the OM was something she enjoyed so much. She says to let her come to me, but if not that may just be something we won't have in our relationship.

S
SEJ3 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Our children do not know about the affair. They are ages 4,6, and 8. She has no contact with the OM and I asked her to contact the OM's wife and inform her of what they had done, which she did in my presence. The affair ended 5 months ago,after I found text messages between them, but I only learned of the physical nature of the affair 2 months ago after she finally admitted it to me.

M
M
Does she not enjoy the way you kiss her?

I would also suggest you call the OM's wife yourself and make certain she knows all about the affair. She needs to know all of the details. You can give her your phone # for follow up.

Where did she meet this OM? How far away does he live/work?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
When she leaves the house she always lets me know where she is going.

Do you know where she is going? Are you snooping to make sure she is going where she says? Do you have a GPS on her car?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
SEJ3 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have spoken with the OM's wife. She is completely aware of all the details. I do continue to check on my wifes whereabouts, however she doesn't really leave our house much, she has chosen to to be much more involved with our children and join them in activities since the affair. My wife was attending classes about 30 miles from our house in the same town the OM lives, she has completed her degree so there is no need for her to return to that town. She knew the OM from college, and they bumped into each other at
a store where they exchanged #'s then boom the affair was off and running.

S
SEJ3 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have asked her if it is my technique, but she says it is not that. She says it is a mental block and the passion and desire to kiss me is not there. I have to believe she is holding back and not opening herself to me when she no longer wants to kiss me.

M
M
SEJ3, you are on the right track. She is still in withdrawal. The key will be to restore the romantic passion to your marriage and that will take 20-25 hours per week of undivided attention time meeting the top 4 intimate emotional needs. If you can do that, pretty soon she will feel passion for you. It takes a few months to go through withdrawal.

Do you have the book Surviving an Affair? Are you familiar with our program?

Exposure 101

M
M
It's also a good idea to tell your kids and close family members about the affair. That is a big part of recovery. The more people who know, the more people to hold her accountable. I would tell your kids alone and then let her know afterwards. The kids need to be told the truth about the source of tension in their home.

Exposure 101

S
SEJ3 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I do not have that book, I have His Need Her Needs and Love Busters. We have filled out the emotional needs worksheet, and I am doing my best to meet her needs. The only issue is she says she is not sure what all of her needs are, so she doesn't know how to tell me what needs to meet. She struggled to complete the worksheet. But could definetly say the OM met her need for intimate conversation.

M
M
I do not have that book, I have His Need Her Needs and Love Busters. We have filled out the emotional needs worksheet, and I am doing my best to meet her needs. The only issue is she says she is not sure what all of her needs are, so she doesn't know how to tell me what needs to meet. She struggled to complete the worksheet. But could definetly say the OM met her need for intimate conversation.

I would put aside that book and get Survivng an Affair. SAA is written to those who have HAD an affair, HNHN is written to those who have not. The only needs you need to worry about right now are these:

1. affection
2. conversation
3. recreational companionship
4. sexual fulfillment

Those are the top 4 intimate emotional needs and meeting those will make the greatest lovebank deposits. Meeting those needs for 20-25 hours during undivided attention will have the greatest, fastest impact on your marriage. Print out the worksheet and read this article:

Time For Undivided Attention Worksheet
The Policy of Undivided Attention
radio clips about UA

Another very important step right now is ensuring you are not making lovebank withdrawals by committing lovebusters. What are her biggest complaints about you? Would she fill out this questionnaire? http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi4502_lbq.html

Exposure 101

S
SEJ3 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
You really believe the kids should be told at such a young age? My wife will be very upset if I do this

P
P
You really believe the kids should be told at such a young age? My wife will be very upset if I do this

Dr. Harley recommends that children as young as 4 be told.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

S
SEJ3 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
What do I tell them? That mommy had a friend?

S
SEJ3 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
How could they possibly understand that their mom was lying to all of us and sneaking away to meet another man?

M
M
What do I tell them? That mommy had a friend?

Just tell them that mommy had an affair with married man and that you are very sad and hurt about it. Tell them the name of this bad man is __insert name____. Explain to them that this is wrong and that you and mommy are doing everything to fix the marriage.

I would just tell them on your own without forewarning your wife. Afterwards, you can tell her you told them. I would encourage your children to ask her any questions they have. You should also inform your close family members.

This is all information that is very pertinent to your children's lives and they have a right and a need to know the truth. Here is what Dr Harley has to say about telling the children:

Dr. Harley on telling the children:

The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

2. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

Exposure 101

M
M
How could they possibly understand that their mom was lying to all of us and sneaking away to meet another man?

That is a perfect way to explain it. Tell them that and then explain that when people get married they promise not to do things like that.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

They will. My own father was a serial cheater who introduced me to his OW when I was age 4. It was very confusing to me and I knew something was wrong. I remember my mother sitting on the edge of her bed sobbing. It would have been much less confusing if a responsible adult had given me some moral guidance and explained the source of the tension in our home.

Exposure 101

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 554 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation