Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2765419 11/11/13 09:33 AM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My BS, and I are now going into our 7th month of recovery. We have come a long way ~ our "biggest accomplishment" this far has been our 6500km move from where my A took place.
We have been doing extremely well - where some may remember the turmoil we started with - AO's, DJ's, violence, etc have all been eliminated, I believe the forum and the program saved us AND our marriage.
The problem, I'm facing now is still the guilt - I feel like I'm drowning in it, Im reminded of it everyday - through a sound or a thought, I feel the depression has increased and with it the self-loathing, I can't get rid of it, it's everywhere.
I don't know how to settle it or work through it. I need help.

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2765434 11/11/13 10:57 AM
J
J
You have to try someway of forgiving yourself RNR2013 has forgiven you and has willingly given you another shot because he knows you are worth it and that you were just lost, in every marriage one has to be strong enough for the both of you��
It is still really early and you are now just realizing the full impact on your life as well, so you were stupid as long as you aren't anymore and you make your husband know everyday what an idiot you were and how lucky you feel now to still be with him and have your family, he saved you���make sure he knows this.
you saved your family too, you could gone the other way and everyone's life would be worse for it�
let the program keep working for you two, and don't let your past take any more of your future with him and your children�..you are letting that happen, you made a mistake we all do���..
sit down and talk to him about it, keep the communication open let him help you��
thank your lucky stars and be the best person you can chose to be because it is a choice��.time will heal and it should get better as your relationship becomes better don't' let it slip again��..sometimes an awful situation can bring a turn around that is heaven sent�..your marriage is better , your a better person, your family is together��..it's all that is important ���don't live in the past��new beginning...

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
mrs_cen #2765437 11/11/13 11:05 AM
B
B
Is he still working out of town? Are you on ADs?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

BrainHurts #2765438 11/11/13 11:20 AM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by BrainHurts

No, Dr. Harley said it was a bad idea, so he's still home, he did not leave. Yes, I'm on AD's, have An appointment with my new doctor this coming Friday.

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2765445 11/11/13 01:07 PM
M
M
Hi Mrs. Cen~

I am a FWW myself -- my affair was 8 years ago and Mr. W and I are happily recovered today. Perhaps my perspective might be of some use to you -- I hope so.

First, I don't think guilt is a bad thing -- it is a sign that your conscience is working and that is GOOD. However, you can't let guilt consume you by dwelling in the past, rather you must shift your thoughts to TODAY and who you are NOW. Wallowing in guilt can really become a selfish indulgence -- certainly an albatross around your neck -- and around your spouse's neck. How can you offer him a marriage better than the one you had if you are forever dwelling on how bad you were? You can't.

I'm also not sure the age old "forgiving yourself" is really the right terminology either. In my view what I did 8 years ago will ALWAYS be bad -- So I don't spend any mental energy in trying to make something bad good because that is not possible, and would be a colossal waste of time. Instead, I choose to do good now -- understanding that feelings follow actions. When I do good, I feel good. It's a form of just compensation to yourself, and also to your spouse. Who wants to live with someone who is miserable and sad all the time? So live in the NOW, and be good. When your thoughts start to wander to the past, redirect yourself -- go do something good for your marriage and watch your feelings follow those actions.

You can't change the past, Mrs. Cen, but you can commit to never repeating past mistakes by taking action to make it so.

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

MrsWondering #2765448 11/11/13 01:22 PM
M
M
Something else I thought of: There will continue to be consequences of the affair throughout the years -- that is just the cold, hard truth of the matter. Some will be small, and others may be bigger. I think you must come to expect and accept that part of it -- almost like, "Sure it's a ball and chain, but it's MY ball and chain, and I will pick it up when necessary and deal with it -- take it in stride, accept it, and move on to bigger and better things -- sometimes I can use it to help others, other times I can use it to better myself and my marriage -- but it will NOT weigh us down unless I let it, and I am committed to not letting it".

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

MrsWondering #2765509 11/11/13 08:12 PM
P
P
How much UA time are ya'll getting a week? Are you enjoying it?

Feeling guilt is a GOOD thing. It means you're not a sociopath!
However, dwelling on the past is detrimental to your marriage and to you. Start focusing on the present. Are you enjoying the time with your husband in the present? Are you getting enough time with him? Are the two of you building a better marriage today?

The more in love you are with your husband, the more distant the past will seem.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

mrs_cen #2765512 11/11/13 08:30 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by mrs_cen
Originally Posted by BrainHurts

No, Dr. Harley said it was a bad idea, so he's still home, he did not leave. Yes, I'm on AD's, have An appointment with my new doctor this coming Friday.
Good. How much UA time are you getting? I'm such an action oriented person. If I come up with a Plan and follow it I get through my "down feelings".

Can you write out your UA schedule this week? Has he had any AOs at all?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

MrsWondering #2765531 11/12/13 01:03 AM
H
H
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
Something else I thought of: There will continue to be consequences of the affair throughout the years -- that is just the cold, hard truth of the matter. Some will be small, and others may be bigger. I think you must come to expect and accept that part of it -- almost like, "Sure it's a ball and chain, but it's MY ball and chain, and I will pick it up when necessary and deal with it -- take it in stride, accept it, and move on to bigger and better things -- sometimes I can use it to help others, other times I can use it to better myself and my marriage -- but it will NOT weigh us down unless I let it, and I am committed to not letting it".

Mrs. W

I want to comment here, with some caveat -

When you make a drastic lifestyle change, which happens when you learn to prioritize and protect your marriage, you can encounter situations which seem like "consequences of the A."

There will be plenty of times where you may feel this way, but learn to remind yourself; putting my marriage first and protecting it is not a CONSEQUENCE. It is protecting what is most important. If that has anything to do with infidelity, it is preventing it.

Not. a. consequence.

Now... moving on....

People have been stating that guilt can be a GOOD thing. I agree...

Have you considered that with all the recent changes and efforts put forth by you and your husband is starting to rebuild his Love Bank balance with you? That you are falling back in love with him?

Have you considered that your Giver might just be kicking in (review the giver if needed) and kicking you a bit, going "You idiot, what did you do?"

So, do a little giving. Set some UA time when the guilt kicks in. Have a snuggle. Share a bath... turn that energy towards your husband, and ease the guilt with a little Extraordinary care.

You may find it works.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
HoldHerHand #2765547 11/12/13 09:34 AM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
No AO's at all, in fact since the move we've had none!.
I think we're getting enough UA time,

Our week

Sun - drove up the shore, spent another hour walking along the beach - 2 hrs, coffes on the deck 1/2 her TOTAL = 2.5

Mon - am snuggle/hang out 1/2 hr, met me for lunch 1/2hr, evening coffee/walk 1hr TOTAL = 2

Tues - am snuggle/hang out 1/2hr, met me for lunch 1/2 hr, walk around the neighbourhood 1hr TOTAL 2

Wed - am snuggle/hang out 1/2hr, he did my hair/bedtime coffe and chat 1.5hr TOTAL 2.5

Thurs - am snuggle/hang out 1/2 hr, met me for lunch 1/2hr, evening coffee 1 hr TOTAL 2

Fri - am snuggle/hang out 1/2hr, met me for lunch 1/2hr, walk 1/2hr, evening coffee 1hr TOTAL 2.5

Sat - am snuggle/hang out 1hr, drove to the beach, walked 1hr, layed in bed talking 1 hr, evening coffee 1hr TOTAL 4

Total = 17.5

I make it a point to wake up a bit earlier everyday so that we have that 1/2hr alone time before our day starts, same goes for bedtime - we want that time to share a coffee talk about our day etc.

Last edited by mrs_cen; 11/12/13 09:37 AM.

FWW, 36

MrsWondering #2765570 11/12/13 10:51 AM
T
T
Hi Mrs. Cen~

I am a FWW myself -- my affair was 8 years ago and Mr. W and I are happily recovered today. Perhaps my perspective might be of some use to you -- I hope so.

First, I don't think guilt is a bad thing -- it is a sign that your conscience is working and that is GOOD. However, you can't let guilt consume you by dwelling in the past, rather you must shift your thoughts to TODAY and who you are NOW. Wallowing in guilt can really become a selfish indulgence -- certainly an albatross around your neck -- and around your spouse's neck. How can you offer him a marriage better than the one you had if you are forever dwelling on how bad you were? You can't.

I'm also not sure the age old "forgiving yourself" is really the right terminology either. In my view what I did 8 years ago will ALWAYS be bad -- So I don't spend any mental energy in trying to make something bad good because that is not possible, and would be a colossal waste of time. Instead, I choose to do good now -- understanding that feelings follow actions. When I do good, I feel good. It's a form of just compensation to yourself, and also to your spouse. Who wants to live with someone who is miserable and sad all the time? So live in the NOW, and be good. When your thoughts start to wander to the past, redirect yourself -- go do something good for your marriage and watch your feelings follow those actions.

You can't change the past, Mrs. Cen, but you can commit to never repeating past mistakes by taking action to make it so.

Mrs. W

This is proof that Mra W and MR W are one in the same person. As Clark Kent/Superman. For they both write with the same high level. rant2

If not the same person then they must be twins. MrRollieEyes

TheRoad #2765589 11/12/13 12:19 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by TheRoad
Hi Mrs. Cen~

Mrs. W

This is proof that Mra W and MR W are one in the same person. As Clark Kent/Superman. For they both write with the same high level. rant2

If not the same person then they must be twins. MrRollieEyes

You can always tell us apart. She uses perfect grammar and cares about spelling. If you see an error...don't blink because she'll actually go back and edit her errors whereas I could care less.

She also generally uses a lot more dance2 and rotflmao

She's also a lot kuter then me loveheart

Oh...an look, I lie about our ages in my signature lines and forget to update our daughters age for years at a time.

DD is almost 14 now and I'm 46

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
MrWondering #2765599 11/12/13 01:02 PM
A
A
Mrs. Cen, have you seen the managing memories thread, it was extremely helpful for me. As you say, triggers are everywhere, but you have to learn to manage them and to avoid all those feelings.

I tried getting the link for you, but can't access the thread, hope someone else can give it to you. I saved some stuff on my computer from the thread in case you can not find it.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
mrs_cen #2765601 11/12/13 01:11 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by mrs_cen
No AO's at all, in fact since the move we've had none!.
I think we're getting enough UA time,

Our week

Sun - drove up the shore, spent another hour walking along the beach - 2 hrs, coffes on the deck 1/2 her TOTAL = 2.5

Mon - am snuggle/hang out 1/2 hr, met me for lunch 1/2hr, evening coffee/walk 1hr TOTAL = 2

Tues - am snuggle/hang out 1/2hr, met me for lunch 1/2 hr, walk around the neighbourhood 1hr TOTAL 2

Wed - am snuggle/hang out 1/2hr, he did my hair/bedtime coffe and chat 1.5hr TOTAL 2.5

Thurs - am snuggle/hang out 1/2 hr, met me for lunch 1/2hr, evening coffee 1 hr TOTAL 2

Fri - am snuggle/hang out 1/2hr, met me for lunch 1/2hr, walk 1/2hr, evening coffee 1hr TOTAL 2.5

Sat - am snuggle/hang out 1hr, drove to the beach, walked 1hr, layed in bed talking 1 hr, evening coffee 1hr TOTAL 4

Total = 17.5

I make it a point to wake up a bit earlier everyday so that we have that 1/2hr alone time before our day starts, same goes for bedtime - we want that time to share a coffee talk about our day etc.

Very good to hear about the AOs! laugh
Now that the lovebusters are out of the way, both your lovebanks are open to being filled.

I see that the majority of your UA is taking place at home, or in 1/2 hour increments. While getting up early together and meeting you for lunch for 1/2 an hour are good things to do, they really are not the best ways to spend UA. UA time is more efficient if it is LARGE blocks of time together outside of the house. Such as 3-4 hours instead of 30 minutes here and there.

Also, the 15 hour mark is for maintaining the lovebank balance. The two of you should be striving for 20-25 hours together in order to build romantic love.

Why don't ya'll plan some longer dates outside of the house?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2765607 11/12/13 01:39 PM
B
B
Here are some good clips about triggers.
Dr. Harley on How to Deal with Triggers

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

HoldHerHand #2765614 11/12/13 02:07 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

Mrs. W

When you make a drastic lifestyle change, which happens when you learn to prioritize and protect your marriage, you can encounter situations which seem like "consequences of the A."

There will be plenty of times where you may feel this way, but learn to remind yourself; putting my marriage first and protecting it is not a CONSEQUENCE. It is protecting what is most important. If that has anything to do with infidelity, it is preventing it.

Not. a. consequence.

I think I was not clear in what I meant by consequences, HHH. Never has anything we've done to protect our marriage been viewed as a "consequence". Not at all. But there ARE consequences that follow adultery -- that is true of all choices in life -- I am not complaining, nor do I recommend doing so. My recommendation is acceptance of all responsibility and all consequences.

Offhand, here are a couple of examples from our lives:

-Our daughter's reaction upon learning the truth -- it was awful, but it was not the truth that caused that damage/consequence -- it was the adultery.

-A friend gossiping about the affair to acquaintances. I was hurt, sure, but really I had to take it in stride -- an affair is considered "juicy gossip" after all -- if I hadn't done what I did there wouldn't have been gossip to spread. I let it go and accepted that consequence.

Hope this explanation clears things up.

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

MrWondering #2765616 11/12/13 02:18 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by MrWondering
You can always tell us apart. She uses perfect grammar and cares about spelling. If you see an error...don't blink because she'll actually go back and edit her errors whereas I could care less.

Oh...an look, I lie about our ages in my signature lines and forget to update our daughters age for years at a time.

*couldn't care less
*cuter
*and
*signature line
*daughter's

stickout grin grin grin grin grin stickout

AS IF to "perfect grammar"!

and finally...

SHADDUP ROAD! stickout

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

MrsWondering #2765623 11/12/13 02:52 PM
M
M

*couldn't care less
*cuter
*and
*signature line
*daughter's

stickout grin grin grin grin grin stickout

AS IF to "perfect grammar"!

and finally...

SHADDUP ROAD! stickout

Mrs. W

I'm ain't sure but I think you missed an airror in their.

"kuter then me"

shouldn't it be either

"cuter than me"

or

"cuter than I"

????? just not shure. skeptical

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
MrWondering #2765625 11/12/13 03:04 PM
M
M
I'm ain't sure but I think you missed an airror in their.

"kuter then me"

shouldn't it be either

"cuter than me"

or

"cuter than I"

????? just not shure. skeptical

[Linked Image from smileyvault.com]

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

MrsWondering #2765683 11/13/13 03:24 AM
H
H
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

Mrs. W

Not. a. consequence.

I think I was not clear in what I meant by consequences, HHH. Never has anything we've done to protect our marriage been viewed as a "consequence". Not at all. But there ARE consequences that follow adultery -- that is true of all choices in life -- I am not complaining, nor do I recommend doing so. My recommendation is acceptance of all responsibility and all consequences.

Offhand, here are a couple of examples from our lives:

-Our daughter's reaction upon learning the truth -- it was awful, but it was not the truth that caused that damage/consequence -- it was the adultery.

-A friend gossiping about the affair to acquaintances. I was hurt, sure, but really I had to take it in stride -- an affair is considered "juicy gossip" after all -- if I hadn't done what I did there wouldn't have been gossip to spread. I let it go and accepted that consequence.

Hope this explanation clears things up.

Mrs. W

Those are concrete examples, and I agree.

SO, for what I am talking about;

- not being able to go on a vacation with a sibling/family member without your spouse; NOT a consequence, a protective measure.

- a spouse no longer working a travel job; NOT a consequence, a protective measure.

- moving several states away after an A; NOT a consequence... what? NOT a consequence. Triggers in the area in which it occurred are a consequence, moving away is a protective measure.

- life/marriage no longer being child-centered; NOT a consequence, a protective measure.

These are things that pop up frequently during recoveries here. They are not, in fact, consequences of infidelity. Rather, they are GOOD marital habits.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 758 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation