Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Elaina7 #2768160 11/26/13 08:49 AM
J
J
Originally Posted by Elaina7
It is my daughter and he hates her.(She is the one he claims is this crazy girl) He thinks raising my kids is a total sacrifice on his part. sigh

I had the exact same issue with my abusive xH: everything my kids did irritated him. I worked really hard to order our lives so that they wouldn't be a source of frustration for him. But he would go ape-sh*t over one of them forgetting to hang up a backpack. This from the man whose daughter was doing drugs and sleeping around.

I was careful to never address issues with his daughter - I would discuss it with him and let him take care of it. He was not able to show me and my children the same respect: he insisted on harsh punishments and would explode in anger.

Now that I'm out of it (a VERY difficult decision, because I was 'determined' to make the 2nd marriage work!) I can see that his abusive and controlling behavior prevented the solving of every other problem. And I realized that I didn't want my children to suffer: I may have chosen him, but they certainly did NOT, and my most basic responsibility as their mother was to ensure that I give them a safe home.

frown

But you didn't come here to hear MY story! (sorry!)

In sum, unless your H completely eliminates all demands, disrespect and anger, he is dooming his marriage to failure. I hope he chooses to get on the path - and stay on it.

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
Jhamila #2768161 11/26/13 08:52 AM
J
J
One last thing: if your H DOES seem safe, consider discussing some of your feelings - respectfully - with him.

See how he does, give him a chance.

If he responds appropriately (i.e. listens non-defensively, helps solve the problem) - GREAT!

If he gets defensive, angry, or blames you...well, you have your answer and should plan to separate. He's pooping in his own nest and you don't need to keep rolling around in it. wink

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
Jhamila #2776648 01/18/14 12:07 AM
E
E
I just wanted to give a quick update.

Things have been going up and down-we do get some great UA time in here and there but not 15 hours normally. At least when we are engaged in UA time, it is pleasant and fun.

I just don't want to post here. I don't think it is helpful and all it does is deplete my LB balance. Ernie just goes on and on and on about what I write here. Its not worth the punishment.

He isn't "angry" about it-but would this still be considered an AO? I was thinking he isn't having them any more but he is a Very emotional person.

It stinks as I think all of yall could be a great help to us but I am not willing to do it right now. (Which makes me sad)

Last edited by Elaina7; 01/18/14 12:10 AM.

BW-3 Kids
Sep:2014
Divorced

"I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
I will persist until I succeed." Og Mandino
Elaina7 #2776651 01/18/14 12:18 AM
J
J
I encourage you to make 15 hours of UA time a PRIORITY in life!
Dr Harley regularly says on his Radio Show to build your life around your UA Time!

J
J
If you aren't going to be posting I encourage you to listen to Dr Harley's Radio Show daily. You can find the links to it on the main website

E
E
Thanks Jedi smile
I already listen to the radio, have read every book Dr Harley owns, read the forum daily and keep the concepts at the for front of my mind. I am doing what I can do to practice them.

What I wish is that Ernie would like to implement the principles as well. He likes some of them and isn't "against" any of it.... he just won't make time for it.

Focusing more on UA time. Gottcha.

BW-3 Kids
Divorced

"I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
Elaina7 #2776708 01/18/14 12:39 PM
M
M
I just don't want to post here. I don't think it is helpful and all it does is deplete my LB balance. Ernie just goes on and on and on about what I write here. Its not worth the punishment.

He isn't "angry" about it-but would this still be considered an AO?

Yes, Elaina - if you are feeling punished for what you write here, then what he is doing is an angry outburst, period.

He needs to move out until he is willing to take his anger problem seriously. Please read my wife's thread "How to deal with an angry husband."

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2776710 01/18/14 12:41 PM
M
M

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Elaina7 #2777267 01/20/14 04:08 PM
M
M
I just wanted to give a quick update.

Things have been going up and down-we do get some great UA time in here and there but not 15 hours normally. At least when we are engaged in UA time, it is pleasant and fun.

I just don't want to post here. I don't think it is hehuhlpful and all it does is deplete my LB balance. Ernie just goes on and on and on about what I write here. Its not worth the punishment.

He isn't "angry" about it-but would this still be considered an AO? I was thinking he isn't having them any more but he is a Very emotional person.

It stinks as I think all of yall could be a great help to us but I am not willing to do it right now. (Which makes me sad)

Hi, Elaina,

I've just come from your husband's thread where I can see that he hasn't been working to understand disrespectful judgments at all. I don't give this much hope unless he starts taking seriously his need to learn to identify and eliminate disrespect on his part.

Here are two posts I made over there, partly addressed to you. I hope you are still reading.

Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Ernie78
Originally Posted by SusieQ
Are you saying she is DJ'ing you in your communications with each other? What is she saying that's DJ?

I feel the biggest DJ are either: A) Jumping to a conclusion without hearing all the details first, which can have disastrous results, or: B) Inflating the issue to a level higher than it really should be, which takes it from the category of "not worthy of getting into conflict" into "now we have a conflict".

Wow, Ernie. It sounds like you are totally confused as to what a disrespectful judgment is. When you decide how high an issue should rank and decide that your wife's ranking is "wrong," YOU are the one being disrespectful, Ernie. You are saying that she should just choose to feel different - that way you don't have to address her complaints.

You need to be here every day learning and working this program, Ernie. There's a radio show being broadcast every week day. There's other threads you should be reading and posting on to learn to recognize disrespect so you can stop doing it.

The problem is not that your wife is disrespectful. The problem is that you want to ignore/downgrade her complaints. That's the exact opposite of Marriage Builders.

There's no such thing as "not worthy of getting into conflict." Conflict is inevitable in marriage. Dr. Harley and Joyce have a conflict EVERY HOUR. Dr. Harley does not pressure Joyce to not bring things up. Instead they resolve their conflicts for a win-win every time, using the principles that they (and we) teach here.

Elaina, you need to plan for a separation until your husband is more serious about learning the basics here.

Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Ernie78
If you keep this up, you are going to end up divorced. Sorry to be harsh, but you are not getting it at all. I am frustrated in trying to talk to you in just a few posts. I can only imagine how hopeless your W must feel.

Please explain your position.... I am unable to determine what information you are trying to present. Could you be more specific?

There is no hidden meaning or further information needed. I meant what I said literally. It's up to you to decide if you are going to listen or keep on demanding that your wife POJA w/you everything she is going to write about her feelings about you and this M.

In a case like this where a spouse is abusive like Ernie, getting help (i.e., posting on this forum) is NOT subject to the POJA. Health and safety is the main exception Dr. Harley makes to the POJA, and that includes getting help in the case of abuse (demands, disrespect, and anger).

Elaina, I hope you are reading. You should probably continue posting here as well as look into getting help from a local women's shelter.

If your husband continues to punish you for the posts that you make here, email the moderators ***EDIT***

I would contact the moderators immediately and ask for helping making this a safe place for you to post. You need MORE support at this time, not LESS, and so this forum should not be cut off as a source of help for you if possible.

Last edited by Toujours; 01/22/14 07:06 PM. Reason: please let the Moderators moderate

markos #2777367 01/20/14 06:36 PM
P
P
I would contact the moderators immediately and ask for helping making this a safe place for you to post. You need MORE support at this time, not LESS, and so this forum should not be cut off as a source of help for you if possible.
Excellent suggestion, Elaina, and I hope you follow it.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2777681 01/21/14 06:03 PM
E
E
Well, I just got back home. I just finished reading Ernie's posts.

I don't know what to say.

Where does one begin.

Last edited by Elaina7; 01/21/14 06:06 PM.

BW-3 Kids
Divorced

Elaina7 #2777684 01/21/14 06:16 PM
B
B
Are you okay, Elaina?

W (me) - 40
H - 44
M 15 years, 2 kids
Elaina7 #2777686 01/21/14 06:23 PM
E
E
I am not sure why he is saying we have a special needs child- yes, she does have different needs but isn't special needs per say to what others think of it.
She is major depressed and hurting herself- which is why see was in the hospital.

She is depressed and taking meds now which are working but it does effect her ability to do well in school and remembering to pick up after herself and she can be disrespectful. She is seeing a doctor and a counselor now etc.

Having Ernie in the house doesn't help as it feels like he hates her and is constantly telling her to get away from him if she asks him a question. There are a large amount of things that he does that I find unacceptable with her and horribly mean. "He got upset that I wrote that before but it is how I feel, how she feels, how my son feels etc".

Second, why is he talking about babysitters. We have two 14 year old boys who live in our house who babysit for us anytime we want really. We just have to make sure that we schedule things so they can still see friends etc. My daughter is not impossible to watch. She is normal and smart in every other way. Our two year old is also easy.

I have no idea about money. I don't even want to discuss it. It is the subject of no return.

I do appreciate everyone talking to him. He is out spending an hour reading the book LB right now.

BW-3 Kids
Divorced

Elaina7 #2777690 01/21/14 06:41 PM
B
B
I'm sorry Elaina. You are right to wonder why he is talking about babysitters, especially if you don't need a babysitter.

Ernie does need to continue to listen to your respectful complaints. And as Markos has said on Ernie's thread and your thread, if you feel that you need to communicate with the moderators, then do it. The forum is here for your support. We are here to listen and help you if we can.

Hang in there for now.

Last edited by Toujours; 01/22/14 07:08 PM. Reason: please let the Moderators moderate

W (me) - 40
H - 44
M 15 years, 2 kids
Prisca #2777691 01/21/14 06:43 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Prisca
Excellent suggestion, Elaina, and I hope you follow it.

x3

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
SusieQ #2777698 01/21/14 06:57 PM
E
E
If he says or does anything else again I will contact the moderators. Thank you-I did not even know that was possible.

BW-3 Kids
Divorced

Elaina7 #2777873 01/22/14 01:16 PM
P
P
I'd say go ahead and contact them now and set up a plan.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2777957 01/22/14 07:11 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Elaina7, please contact the moderators about this issue.

ToujoursMB@gmail.com
Prisca #2778232 01/24/14 01:44 AM
E
E
Hi all. I have been thinking of a few things - I don't want him to quit posting as it has been this forum that has been able to get through to him.

Two, should I not read his posts? Not comment on what he writes?

This is hard. I so very much want us to work and can see him trying (reading books, etc) but I feel like every step we take is like moving through mud and it has just been so hard.

How does one forget the past? I have a hard time forgetting all the mean actions/words, even when he is nice, my heart believes what he said in those times are actually the truth.

I am an extremely sweet person. I am a strong Christian. I smile a bunch and love to sing. I only weigh a smidgen past 100 pounds... Am Pettit and have a gift of empathy like crazy. Ernie is the only person who has told me I "exaggerate" or lie. I can ask some folks and find out.
It is true that I don't yell or go emotional trying to complain, but I AM a very direct person. " I can't stand stuff getting on the kitchen table, would you be enthusiastic about not putting anything on it? " I then smile as and Ernie will say no problem, yes I agree.
I get frustrated at his then not doing it. If he was honest, he Knows Exactly what I want him to do and not do. There isn't true POJA going on, as he doesn't follow through on agreements.

There are things he will not do -has told me so & they upset me as well. As an example: He called me a controlling prison warden & needy a long time just because I wanted him to tell me where he was and what he was doing.

I don't know how to set up boundaries obviously.I have a giver part of me on crack stickout I don't repay evil for evil: I don't have an AO or call names or demand or guilt etc. I just don't want to be around him then, I can't sleep in the same bed and we continue on as strange room mates.

It just feels like I had to pull teeth just to try to get some attention and care from him. This hurts - I was convinced he hated me and was sorry he married me for most of our marriage- not from direct words, but just the way everything went. I still feel like as I ask for things, he thinks it is soooo hard to be married to me, I'm not worth the effort and I must be a strange women to want that.
He tells me constantly how hard marriage is.

I think he's worth it though. I wouldn't have married him if I didn't. It took So much for me to marry him because of my ex. ( fear of getting into an abusive marriage again/ but my ex loved to torture & it's a miracle I am alive the numerous times he tried to kill me)

He/ our marriage is worth the pain of now, to get to a great place. I can't do this alone though.

So that was just a bunch of rambling smile thanks for reading.

What is step one for me (other than emailing mods?)
I am here and willing to learn.

BW-3 Kids
Divorced

Elaina7 #2778240 01/24/14 08:35 AM
I
I
Elaina it's pretty clear to me from your husband's thread that he has a huge admiration need - that's also why he hates complaints/criticism like poison. I have a high admiration need, so I get how he is feeling beat up but quite simply he needs to get over it.

It's like telling your bank not to send you any more statements because it makes unpleasant reading!

I am SURE that your softly spoken, respectful way of raising complaints was one of the things that drew him to you during courtship. But now that you're in a marriage he has to actually RESPOND to your respectful complaints. It is normal for complaints to be very common, and for them to originate mainly from the female perspective. He needs to get that and stop treating you like you are some sort of faulty alarm.

He needs to develop the skills to expect a complaint/conflict every hour and to be able to handle them efficiently. Right now his skill level for this is disastrous. He either categorises them as 'She was polite so it's No Big Deal' or 'She's exaggerating/overreacting'.

Do give admiration where you feel it is warranted, such as with the efforts he is making to read materials. Give that well deserved admiration hit. However his constant attempts to avoid complaints can't be tolerated. Stand your ground fairly but firmly. Appeal to his need for admiration by saying it is likely to follow a successfully resolved complaint too. Like how much you would appreciate it/how it would make you feel/how much it meant when he did something similar ..etc

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 479 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation