Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
A
A
I love reading your updates BS. We are on R too and I reading about your experiences resonate so much with me.

We had the same issue, the past. Do we need to talk about the past, not specifically the A, but the months previous to it?. I'm sure your case is different because the lenght of his A. I would say that as long as your talking about the past has some sort of benefit for your M then go for it. Do it slow and evaluate if it really did help and if it didn't stir any unhealthy feelings.

I'm amazed your man cried in front of you. Hubby will never cry in front of me. He is so unexpressive. When he broke the A, he showed no feelings, exposure, no feelings either. Never mad, sad or anything, zero. I have asked him about exposure, if it made him mad. He said nope.

You are right BlindSighted2013, R is not for the weak, there are so many times I feel like a headless chicken running through the woods. Keep up your good work and keep us updated!

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
L
L
Originally Posted by BlindSighted2013
Trying to keep with my commitment to post updates periodically.

Last week when the new Budweiser commercial was released, I was so excited to show hubby. We both love animals.

H started crying by the end of it. I was very startled, and then I realized that the song says how you only know you love her when you let her go. I felt like I had a ton of bricks on my chest, and I thought that he was crying because he "only knew he loved OW when he let her go". I cannot ask that though, right? So I didn't. I told him that I had been excited to show him the commercial and that I am sorry for upsetting him with it.

He said oh no, he loved it, and those are happy tears. This didn't make much sense to me, and I was upset for two days because I didn't know what to say or do.

Finally on Saturday morning, I took him coffee in bed and said that I needed his help with something. I told him that I didn't know if it was appropriate to bring up because it involved a trigger. He said that he wanted to hear what was bothering me.

So I told him about my worry, and it initiated a long discussion. He told me that it was nothing to do with OW at all, and more to do with his feelings coming to the surface lately. He says that he would have cried even if there were no music, and that he was crying because it was a beautifully done snippet about the horses working together to support the puppy so that the pup could be all that he could be. H said that he did not feel that kind of support from me once we had the children, and that he always felt incredibly lonely. He said that everything that he had tried to do to support us financially was never good enough.

I told him thank you for sharing that with me, and asked if he feels supported today. He said that he does feel my support now.

H DOES have a point about his feelings. He was making a lot of money and it truly was never enough because our youngest had lupus and the medical bills were astounding. But through my eyes, I thought that we were ALL working together to do the best that we could in a bad situation.

His words did hurt my feelings, but I can own my contribution to the problem (LB'er abounded from both of us, and so really we weren't working together). MB teaches us that if those were his feelings at the time, then they were RIGHT even though I also felt like I was carrying a big load... Running the household, working, taking daughter to doctors, help with schoolwork, OH MAN I could step off the edge of that anger slope if I keep thinking about it. But it's the PAST, right? Should I think about why it is that I have empathy for him, and he sees this situation all through his perspective without thinking the best or having empathy for me?

I'm trying to guess what you all will say�that this is the PAST, and that is why Dr. Harley says not to bring up the past. And for us both to be constantly RH so that we never have to bear any frustrating feelings alone again. I CAN bring that up to H, right? Like just say "honey, I'm thinking about what you told me about feeling so alone in our past, and I want to assure you that I care for you and never want you to feel unhappy like that again. Can we promise to always be asap radically honest in the future whenever we feel anything that bothers us?". Should I just leave it at that?

This recovery stuff is DIFFICULT!

Yes, indeed, recovery IS hard!

I think that you and your husband both really need to work hard at keeping things in the present. If he cries at something and he's thinking about the past, and you ask him why he's weeping, then instead of telling you exactly what the trigger was, he should tell you that he was thinking about something sad in the past that isn't the case anymore, and leave it at that. He, like you, needs to think in terms of what is going on NOW.

Radical honesty doesn't mean you and he ought to be spilling out the crappy reminders of the crappy past that neither of you can do anything about now. It didn't do you a bit of good to hear that, because it's dwelling on mistakes of the past and you can't go back and fix it.

Radical honesty, now that the affair is over, is about telling each other your honest reactions to decisions being made currently, to each others behavior, to likes and dislikes.

I think it's a fine idea to make sure that you and he agree that in the future you will both always be radically honest with each other. When we signed up for the Online Seminar, we each signed an agreement that listed out just this sort of thing. We consider them our new vows we were making to each other.

When either of you gets stuck momentarily in the past, ask yourself, "But what's happening NOW?"

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
then instead of telling you exactly what the trigger was, he should tell you that he was thinking about something sad in the past that isn't the case anymore, and leave it at that. He, like you, needs to think in terms of what is going on NOW.

Radical honesty doesn't mean you and he ought to be spilling out the crappy reminders of the crappy past that neither of you can do anything about now. It didn't do you a bit of good to hear that, because it's dwelling on mistakes of the past and you can't go back and fix it.
LWFH, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! Your words are JUST the medicine that we both needed! I told H last night what you said and we both emphatically enthusiastically smile agreed that we needed your very well said reminder.

DDays - six months of them
THANK YOU God and Marriage Builders.
We never knew that it could be this good! smile
Alada #2781227 02/05/14 10:42 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Alada
I love reading your updates BS. We are on R too and I reading about your experiences resonate so much with me.
Thank you Alada! I'm glad that my posts help in some way. Yep to feeling like a headless chicken. These MB forums are such a Godsend though, and I'm with you that reading other people's posts help me so much.

I just posted on your thread Alada. Sorry for it taking me a bit of time. We are having a snowstorm here and since I hate this weather, H and I were trying to make lemonade out of lemons and have fun in the snow. We decided that tonight we are going to try to make a giant snowman. smile

Last edited by BlindSighted2013; 02/05/14 10:56 AM. Reason: grammar

B
OP Offline
B
Just another update. smile

During our weekly meeting with Pastor on Tuesday, we did a bit of an analysis of how we are feeling now. Pastor asked how we looked at our marriage for the last couple of weeks versus when we began having him help us.

He asked on a scale of 1-10 with one being two feet out the door and ten being totally in love. How did we feel when we first began with Pastor. I answered a one and H answered a 1 or 2. Then he asked how we feel now during the last week or so. I answered a 4 and H answered a 6. YAY! smile

Pastor cautioned us that now that we are feeling a little bit better, it will become easier for us to blow off daily bible reading and spending UA time together. He cautioned us that our M has had a big injury and is still in "intensive care" haha, and that we need to keep it in that "cast" for a long while.

B
OP Offline
B
Something happened last night that triggered me. I think that we handled it well. Differing opinions are welcome.

My H has always worn a couple of gold chains. I don't know why, but I never thought about "where those chains have been" until last night. It hit me like a ton of bricks, and I felt like I was falling down into a deep nasty cavern as I scurried to think of how to bring it up WITHOUT talking about the A.

I finally spit it out that "his chains are bothering me". Unfortunately, he didn't get it and thought that I meant that they were physically rubbing against me or hurting me in some way (we had just hugged). I had to come pretty close to spelling it out, but he got it before that was necessary, and he went and took them off.

I feel guilty because he really really loved those chains. His Mom gave him one and our adult daughter the other, a zillion years ago. He didn't complain, and instead he reminded me about what pastor said that we have to wear a cast for a while. That was sweet.

Today though, I still feel sad for him to have to go without something that defined him even before the A. I just don't think that I'll ever be able to look at those chains again. I told H that we can go out and buy him a new one. He answered maybe someday, but for right now we need this cast on. More sweetness, BUT I can tell that he is really sad about it, and HE can't talk about it either. So I guess that this is one of those things that we just have to buck up on and fight to make it the PAST and not approachable in our heads.

I know that someday I can bring it up again and offer to go out with him to buy a new chain, but not now.

B
OP Offline
B
Last post for the day. I figured that instead of having a whole book of updates, I would break them down so that it is easier to read.

H gave me a heartfelt apology last night for being so selfish during our marriage. I have longed to hear a true out-of-the-blue apology for so long (as opposed to an I'm sorry as a RESPONSE to something we are talking about), but for some reason it didn't sink in like I thought that it would.

I thought that when the day finally came, I would treasure and almost memorize his words. Sad to say, I can't even remember how he started it when he brought it up last night.

I think that I really need to do more work on myself right now, so that I can feel ME back for a larger percentage of each day and become more aware of the PRESENT. I do feel it sometimes, but I think that it is time for even more self care mentally and physically so that I can get MYSELF out of this constant deer-in-the-headlights approach to so much of my life right now.

So with that said, off I go to get INVOLVED in my day! smile

A
A
BS, did I say how much I love to read your updates?! It makes me happy to see that you two are getting such a great R, and it makes me so much hopeful!!

He cautioned us that our M has had a big injury and is still in "intensive care" haha, and that we need to keep it in that "cast" for a long while.

Is so great that you have such support right now. When we talked to our pastor, he just said I needed to foget and forgive. I know he ment well, but is not prepared to handle this kind of situations.

The cast analogy is so great. I'm a very visual person, the image I'm seing right now is sooooo funny!! thanks for the laugh!

I feel guilty because he really really loved those chains. His Mom gave him one and our adult daughter the other, a zillion years ago. He didn't complain, and instead he reminded me about what pastor said that we have to wear a cast for a while. That was sweet.

I know that someday I can bring it up again and offer to go out with him to buy a new chain, but not now.

I can tell you how I feel about hubby dropping out of college. He is 34, he worked so hard to get his GED, once he got it and we came to Mexico he was ready for college. But the mexican university did not accept the GED, so he had to wait one more year and take one more exam. He finally made it to college.

Needless to say I feel so sad he had to drop college. He didn't beep either when I asked him to drop college cold turkey. I know it makes him increadibely sad, but nevertheless is what is best for our M.

Chains are just chains, your hubby can definetely wait to get new ones later. He can not wait to get a better M.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
H
H
I have lurked on this forum for a while and recently registered.

I wanted to write you a post of encouragement, Blindsighted, from the perspective of a Christian husband more than a decade past the trauma of my wife's adultery. There's a necklace in our past, too, and, for whatever it's worth, I feel prompted to share with you.

My wife had a necklace that I had given her, very early in our marriage. And, just like you, one day it hit me with brute force. I asked, "Did you wear that with him?"

And she realized my horror and whispered, "I, I almost never take it off."

I asked her for it, and she gave it without question. And I got rid of it. But I bought her a new one, one just like it, and surprised her with it. And she received it with genuine gratitude and wears it nearly all the time now without triggering painful memories for either of us.

I know MB might counsel that you leave the past in the past after granting forgiveness. In my own case, I believe if your spouse is contrite, there is no shame in asking him to remove this trigger from his neck, regardless of his sentimental attachments to it. If it grieves you to imagine it possibly touching his partner's flesh, it might always stand between your complete healing.

If his heart is truly repentant, then YOU should be his most precious jewelry. You gave yourself to him as a gift, and he threw you away, then asked YOU to pay an unimaginably painful price once he wanted your forgiveness. I only had to forgive an affair of a few months- and, but for God's grace, I could not have borne it. You are having to forgive 13 years(!)- truly, your forgiveness and restoration of your marriage is utterly priceless, BlindSighted!

And if he truly understands that, if he truly knows just how strong YOU have had to be to endure HIS weakness and sinfulness, he will do whatever it takes to keep the price YOU have to pay from being any higher.

I'm sorry this was so long- but in closing, I am praying for you both. For you, continued strength in what is surely one of the greatest trials any human must endure. For him, I pray for deepening conviction and empathy, such that he will never stray again, and will see how beautiful and costly your forgiveness truly is.

You both have a hard climb ahead, and only God knows if you both have the strength to endure it, but I pray that you will.

Alada #2781809 02/09/14 08:13 AM
B
OP Offline
B
He cautioned us that our M has had a big injury and is still in "intensive care" haha, and that we need to keep it in that "cast" for a long while.

Is so great that you have such support right now. When we talked to our pastor, he just said I needed to foget and forgive. I know he ment well, but is not prepared to handle this kind of situations.

The cast analogy is so great. I'm a very visual person, the image I'm seing right now is sooooo funny!! thanks for the laugh!
I'm so glad that the cast thing gave you a chuckle. smile

Yes, I know that we are incredibly fortunate that Pastor is so supportive. I'm sorry Alada that your Pastor wasn't equipped to handle providing much help for you and your H.

How about if I do my best to share little snippets from our meetings with Pastor each week?

Another one that he gave us is growing a garden together:

It's all PoJA. First you have to agree on how to clear the land (the "land" needs cleared after an A). Then you have conflicts on where to put the new garden, whether to use a tiller or a hoe, to have a raised bed or not, how you'll plan irrigation, whether to use fertilizer or go natural, what plants to choose and where to put them. So many decisions to make before you even start the real work!

THEN you finally work together to get that garden in and wait for the rain to nourish it and allow the roots to take a sturdy hold. THEN comes the weeding and hoeing as the sun beats down on you.

Finally a tomato appears, and the two of you watch and watch as it grows and begins to turn red. You go out together one morning to finally pick that fruit, and what do you find? A deer has trampled it.

Does that mean that the whole garden is ruined? No, but it means that you still have to wait a bit longer as you wait for the next fruit to ripen in order to finally enjoy it. It's disheartening to take two steps back and one forward, but as long as you continue to tend that garden, you'll eventually have so much fruit to enjoy that all of your hard work and trials will be but a memory. smile

Alada #2781936 02/10/14 09:13 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I can tell you how I feel about hubby dropping out of college. He is 34, he worked so hard to get his GED, once he got it and we came to Mexico he was ready for college. But the mexican university did not accept the GED, so he had to wait one more year and take one more exam. He finally made it to college.

Needless to say I feel so sad he had to drop college. He didn't beep either when I asked him to drop college cold turkey. I know it makes him increadibely sad, but nevertheless is what is best for our M.

Chains are just chains, your hubby can definetely wait to get new ones later. He can not wait to get a better M.
Thank you so very much for sharing that with me Alada. It really helped me to put it into perspective.

I remember from your thread that he stayed home for a while after D-Day, correct? Can he eventually attend another college? Perhaps online courses?

HoseaJones #2781939 02/10/14 09:21 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by HoseaJones
You both have a hard climb ahead, and only God knows if you both have the strength to endure it, but I pray that you will.
Thank you HoseaJones, for taking the time to post and share your own necklace story. I had alligator tears at how beautifully you described the second chance that we give to our spouses. Thank you. I appreciate your prayers.

A
A
Another one that he gave us is growing a garden together:

It's all PoJA. First you have to agree on how to clear the land (the "land" needs cleared after an A). Then you have conflicts on where to put the new garden, whether to use a tiller or a hoe, to have a raised bed or not, how you'll plan irrigation, whether to use fertilizer or go natural, what plants to choose and where to put them. So many decisions to make before you even start the real work!

THEN you finally work together to get that garden in and wait for the rain to nourish it and allow the roots to take a sturdy hold. THEN comes the weeding and hoeing as the sun beats down on you.

Finally a tomato appears, and the two of you watch and watch as it grows and begins to turn red. You go out together one morning to finally pick that fruit, and what do you find? A deer has trampled it.

Does that mean that the whole garden is ruined? No, but it means that you still have to wait a bit longer as you wait for the next fruit to ripen in order to finally enjoy it. It's disheartening to take two steps back and one forward, but as long as you continue to tend that garden, you'll eventually have so much fruit to enjoy that all of your hard work and trials will be but a memory. smile

Lovely analogy. Having grown a garden, only to have it eaten by deer, I can certainly relate to this one.

Thanks for sharing

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
Alada #2785891 02/27/14 10:08 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Good morning all, just wanted to give an update. We are still meeting with Pastor every week and have switched gears a bit now to focus on starting to build the details of our future together so that our new M may be built on a rock solid foundation.

I'm not exactly feeling like going there yet, but I'm not feeling against it either. I have been operating from a head perspective rather than a heart perspective for so many months now, I am willing to try moving forward to see how it may pan out.

My old H isn't back folks. The old H was NEVER, not once, not EVER in 33 years this dedicated and attentive and affectionate. Nor was he ever in his life more focused on doing the right things, praying for answers, trying to lead our family including our adult daughters.

And he's not finished yet! Because he can't be�.I'm still not passionately back in love with him! But I am taking notice. And for that matter, I am becoming a whole different person, and I'm not finished yet either. smile

Unfortunately for both of us, H's attentiveness is still not getting all of the way through to me. Pastor says that it will, in fact this week Pastor went so far as to tell us that he predicts that within another 3-4 weeks, we will BOTH be feeling some passion again. That was so hopeful for us!

L
L
Good morning all, just wanted to give an update. We are still meeting with Pastor every week and have switched gears a bit now to focus on starting to build the details of our future together so that our new M may be built on a rock solid foundation.

I'm not exactly feeling like going there yet, but I'm not feeling against it either. I have been operating from a head perspective rather than a heart perspective for so many months now, I am willing to try moving forward to see how it may pan out.

My old H isn't back folks. The old H was NEVER, not once, not EVER in 33 years this dedicated and attentive and affectionate. Nor was he ever in his life more focused on doing the right things, praying for answers, trying to lead our family including our adult daughters.

And he's not finished yet! Because he can't be�.I'm still not passionately back in love with him! But I am taking notice. And for that matter, I am becoming a whole different person, and I'm not finished yet either. smile

Unfortunately for both of us, H's attentiveness is still not getting all of the way through to me. Pastor says that it will, in fact this week Pastor went so far as to tell us that he predicts that within another 3-4 weeks, we will BOTH be feeling some passion again. That was so hopeful for us!

It took me many months to get to the point where I liked my H again. I didn't even realize I was in love with him until Dr. Harley responded to a question I asked on the private forum. I thought to myself, "Really? I'm in love? Hmmmm..." But the Love Bank Questionnaire is based on numbers and the numbers don't lie.

It will take a consistent effort on your H's part to meet your needs and eliminate his love busters for you to start to believe it. Dr. Harley says trust usually returns in about two years. As you well know by now, it's not blind trust. It's trusting that your spouse has your back.

We're three-plus years into it, and, like you, the old pre-A H has not returned. It's as though I am married to a different man! It's as though I'm in a brand new marriage. It seems to me that although I was in love with my H according the Questionnaire, I didn't really FEEL like I was in love, passionately in love, until well after the two-year mark. Recovery is a journey and it takes time and lots of effort. The effort is the changing of old marriage-wrecking habits into new marriage-building habits. Once the new habits are formed, it really does seem to become effortless.

Just keep moving in the right direction. Your heart will eventually follow your head.

How are your daughters viewing their "new" father and his efforts to rebuild your marriage and family? It will take them a while to accept the new reality as well.

You have done a marvelous job of logically following each step. I'm so impressed! clap

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
A
A

Wow, is so nice to hear a deadline. It probably makes you both happy and uneasy to hear about the 2-3weeks time frame. But we are all rooting for you two!

That is so nice to hear!! Good job MrBlindSighted2013!

Unfortunately for both of us, H's attentiveness is still not getting all of the way through to me.

Don't worry LB$ deposits are not conscious, so even if you feel they are not getting through you they are. You are recognizing them already! Little by little you will get to the passion treshhold!

thanks for sharing!

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
Alada #2785911 02/27/14 11:07 AM
E
E
Blindsighted, I'm happy for you, and a bit envious lol.

Whatever you are doing is working. Good job

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
How are your daughters viewing their "new" father and his efforts to rebuild your marriage and family? It will take them a while to accept the new reality as well.

You have done a marvelous job of logically following each step. I'm so impressed! clap
Thank you LWFH, I read that and thought "logical"? Me? But yes I guess that I have been thinking from that perspective much more these days. Wow.

I am sooooo relieved to hear from you that your old H has never returned! I know that my old H can never return if we are to stay together. Somehow I knew this on D-Day. The things that used to bother me about him just aren't an option now. I used to have unconditional love. I'm pretty sure that ended on D-Day.

I think that our daughters (29 and 26) dealing with this may be a long road. We know that they do speak with each other about it.

We do mention the things that we do for RC, and the things that H is helping me with for my work, and the things that we are DOing for recovery. We just don't go to the past unless they bring it up. H and our eldest daughter are going to spend a Daddy Daughter day together again tomorrow. smile

Alada #2786131 02/27/14 07:52 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Don't worry LB$ deposits are not conscious, so even if you feel they are not getting through you they are. You are recognizing them already! Little by little you will get to the passion treshhold!
True Alada! I had forgotten about that. Thank you for the reminder, and the pep talk. I am taking that to heart. smile

I don't know that we have a deadline for feeling passion. The Pastor just boosted us up a bit this week by pointing out how we are getting so much right and solving conflicts better, and so he felt that I would feel some sparks again very soon. We both hope so!

Everthesame #2786133 02/27/14 08:01 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen
Blindsighted, I'm happy for you, and a bit envious lol.

Whatever you are doing is working. Good job
Awe Rocketqueen, thank you for checking up on me and rooting for us. I appreciate it.

We all know that this is not a straight line to the top. We're going to go steps forward and steps back.

You and Kiss are always in my prayers Rocketqueen.

Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 76 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation