Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
L
Recovery takes about two - five years. It's a pain to have to slog though, but the successful results are worth the effort. And, if followed correctly, further affairs are virtually impossible.

My marriage is now better than it has ever been. It's safer, more passionate, and more caring.

Try to not think of how long it's going to take. Eventually, you'll get there and think with amazement that the resentment is gone. It's kind of unbelievable, isn't it?

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
L
OP Offline
L
Ok one more question before I jump into it this weekend. The 5 steps manual starts with lovebusters. Someone here mentioned the marital problem analysis which I didn't see in the 5 steps book. Where exactly do we start?

L
L
You start with the Marital Problem Analysis >>> Here

Our very first lesson was to fill out the Memorandum of Agreement, then the Personal History Questionnaire. We also had to start working on the UA worksheet, because the program doesn't work without those UA hours.

Will you be doing the program on your own?

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

L
OP Offline
L
I would love to do the online program but H just isn't convinced. I'm hoping once we start he'll change his mind. But already I am seeing a big difference between what you are telling me and what I see in the workbook so idk how well it will work out.

X
X
sorry to t/j, looks like they don't have the MB weekend anymore?

Me: BW, 36; WH: 37
Married 14 years
DD: 4yr, DS: 8 month
DD: 11/24/2013
Plan A (not properly done) since DD. Exposure to OW's friend and work on 03/25/2014. Lots of LBs.
Plan B (w/ MIL lives w/ me): started 4/4/2014. Exposed WH to most of our friends in early 05/2014.
Plan A before moving to CA as suggested by Dr Harley started 6/8/14.
L
L
Originally Posted by LolaLove
I would love to do the online program but H just isn't convinced. I'm hoping once we start he'll change his mind. But already I am seeing a big difference between what you are telling me and what I see in the workbook so idk how well it will work out.

The workbook consists of all the worksheets for the program. It's a part of the whole program. The worksheets allow each spouse to pinpoint and focus in on the problem areas and define each step. The Five Steps workbook is very helpful for this. At the back of the book is the UA worksheet.

But the first thing is to agree on certain steps and the way to live out your marriage (The Memorandum of Agreement) and learn about each others histories.

What I'm telling you is how the Five Steps workbook fits into the overall program. Make sense?

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

L
L
Originally Posted by xpbrain1

No, it's the Online Seminar now. And actually the Online version is basically the weekend seminar lectures that were recorded. You are supposed to listen to all the lectures over a weekend, just like when people showed up for the MB Weekend. After the lectures, you start in on the lessons and have accountability through a coach for a year.

It seems much more convenient as the Online program, because the couple doesn't have fly out to the site, book hotels, find babysitting. You do it all from your own home.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

P
P
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
It seems much more convenient as the Online program, because the couple doesn't have fly out to the site, book hotels, find babysitting. You do it all from your own home.

But getting away for the weekend to a hotel was part of the fun with the MB Weekend. It's the only way Markos got me to agree to start marriage builders -- he promised a hotel stay away from the kids, and a day of shopping after the seminar! smile

I would suggest that a couple still get a babysitter and go away for the weekend, even if it's to a nearby hotel ...

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

L
L
Originally Posted by Prisca

But getting away for the weekend to a hotel was part of the fun with the MB Weekend. It's the only way Markos got me to agree to start marriage builders -- he promised a hotel stay away from the kids, and a day of shopping after the seminar! smile

I would suggest that a couple still get a babysitter and go away for the weekend, even if it's to a nearby hotel ...

Good point, Prisca! I guess it depends on each couple. Since the Harleys are no longer doing the Weekend Seminar, it would be a great idea for the couple to get away for the weekend to view the online lectures and start the program. Getting away from the home is especially important if a couple has children or a lot of distractions. It would make the weekend very enjoyable.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

X
X
Originally Posted by xpbrain1

No, it's the Online Seminar now. And actually the Online version is basically the weekend seminar lectures that were recorded. You are supposed to listen to all the lectures over a weekend, just like when people showed up for the MB Weekend. After the lectures, you start in on the lessons and have accountability through a coach for a year.

Thanks a lot for your reply, LongWayFromHome smile

Married 14 years
Plan A (not properly done) since DD. Exposure to OW's friend and work on 03/25/2014. Lots of LBs.
Plan B (w/ MIL lives w/ me): started 4/4/2014. Exposed WH to most of our friends in early 05/2014.
X
X
Originally Posted by Prisca

yeah exactly, that's why i love the idea of "weekend" thing.

Married 14 years
LongWayFromHome #2807258 06/15/14 08:06 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Would any of you be willing to share an examaple of what your UA time might look like for a week . I know it's a very individual thing but I'd just like to see some examples. Thanks

LolaLove #2807312 06/15/14 05:59 PM
P
P
Keep in mind that your UA activities should include things you both find enjoyable ...

Monday: Dinner and shopping (4 hours)
Tuesday: Gym night, snack at smoothie bar (4 hours)
Thursday: Gym night, snack at smoothie bar (4 hours)
Saturday: Pool (2 hours), picnic in the park (2 hours)

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2809008 06/27/14 10:52 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Question: I have found out through reading H's emails that he has been invited on a trip with his best friend--it is less than a month away and he has not even mentioned it to me, but he told his friend that he cleared his schedule. I know he knows I will be very unhappy if he goes--I have been trying (unsuccessfully)to get H to take a trip alone with me for quite awhile.

So here's my question--would it be fair or at all reasonable to use this trip as a point of negotiation? I have been trying to get H to do the online program but he has yet to agree. We have not done well doing it on our own. Would it be wrong to agree to the trip if he agrees to doing the online program?

LolaLove #2809174 06/29/14 07:40 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Anybody?

LolaLove #2809177 06/29/14 07:56 AM
N
N
Sorry Lola, everyone else must be enjoying the weekends having UA and FC time. Hopefully we'll find ourselves there too one day soon right smile

I don't think there are any wrong answers there. The question is, would it make you enthusiastic about him going? Maybe the online course AND a weekend away the two of you, like 4th of July weekend so it would be before his weekend, would make you enthusiastic about his other weekend, even if you were the one to plan the weekend, the way his friend is. It's good you can start to see how your H works, he wants to plan of least resistance, and this is a path you can make pretty smooth, smoother than the friend can, because you know your H better.

Don't be surprised if he doesn't look as happy about the weekend with you, it's because you two are in State of Conflict, and so most likely you can still act pretty hard to be around, am I close? We can help you eliminate that.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
NewEveryDay #2809185 06/29/14 12:14 PM
L
L
I hope my interpretation falls in alignment, as i am still a student in the progress of learning myself.

With that disclaimer out of the way, i feel that your H should only be doing that IB if YOU and He were in complete and enthusiastic agreement about his trip.

For you to negotiate an alternative week or weekend just for the two of you still does not negate his Independent Behavior trip without you, which i feel you are not enthusiastic about, so then the default option would be to Do Nothing.

He does not go on the trip without you.

During this time, you Both knock around various options that you Both would be enthusiastic about doing together.

Wouldn't you still be resentful that he and his friend have been planning this trip without any input from you?

If yes, then even if you negotiated a separate weekend or week for the two of you to be together, his IB would have still created a resentment.

The key us to not avoid the potential conflict, but to address it without Love Busters and Selfish Demands.

LTL

LolaLove #2809188 06/29/14 12:39 PM
M
M
Lolalove, one of the most important rules in Marriage Builders is to not spend the night apart. You don't use one rule to break another, for example, you don't use the POJA to break the rule against overnight travel.

I would bring it up to him and either find a way to include you on this trip - or another trip - or stay home and do something else.

Don't to agree to something that is bad for your marriage in order to get him to do the online course. The online course won't magically change his unwillingness to eliminate his independent behavior.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2809233 06/29/14 09:25 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks all for your input . He did finally mention it to me yesterday but framed it as if he had no intention of going..not sure if he was just feeling me out or what.

He first mentioned that my brother went on 2 trips without his wife and wondered why I didn't see anything wrong with that. I said because my brother also takes trips ALONE WITH his wife. Were on our way to some friends' house so didn't have much time to discuss...basically I made it clear that its not his going on a trip that bothers me, but the fact that he won't take a trip with me. He actually seemed to understand that...we'll see if he mentions it again.

LolaLove #2809234 06/29/14 10:50 PM
H
H
Originally Posted by LolaLove
Thanks all for your input . He did finally mention it to me yesterday but framed it as if he had no intention of going..not sure if he was just feeling me out or what.

He first mentioned that my brother went on 2 trips without his wife and wondered why I didn't see anything wrong with that. I said because my brother also takes trips ALONE WITH his wife. Were on our way to some friends' house so didn't have much time to discuss...basically I made it clear that its not his going on a trip that bothers me, but the fact that he won't take a trip with me. He actually seemed to understand that...we'll see if he mentions it again.

You are now beginning to recognize part of the problem; you are not your husband's favorite recreational partner!

The solution is to learn to become a pleasent recreational partner, and for you two to participate in activities that you mutually enjoy.

If you want to become his recreational companion, you will need to approach the problem with clear purpose, but also with sensitivity to your husband's feelings. You can still reach your husband, because, as you said in your letter, he still loves you. It's important to understand how hard it will be for him to integrate you into his escape after all these years. Having you along fishing will take some doing on his part, because you are now associated with all the responsibility he is trying to escape. And what if it turns out that you don't like fishing as much as you thought you would? You may need to find new recreational activities that you can enjoy together.

To help you both make this difficult but necessary transition into becoming each other's best recreational companions, I suggest you negotiate with your husband. Here are four steps that will make it easier for you to resolve your conflict.

1. Set ground rules to make negotiations pleasant and safe.

Before you start to talk to your husband about recreational activities, make sure that you follow these rules: (a) be pleasant and cheerful throughout your discussion of the issue, (b) put safety first--do not threaten to cause pain or suffering when you negotiate, even if your husband makes threatening remarks or if the negotiations fail, and (c) if you reach an impasse, stop for a while and come back to the issue later.

Under no conditions should you be disrespectful or judgmental of your husband's opinions or desires. Your negotiations should accept and respect your differences. Otherwise, you will fail to make them pleasant and safe.

2. Identify the problem from the perspectives of both you and your spouse.

Be able to state each other's position regarding your conflict about recreational activities before you go on to find a solution. Be sure you don't argue with each other, just get to know how you both feel regarding the issue.

3. Brainstorm solutions with abandon.

Spend some time thinking of all sorts of ways to handle the problem, and don't correct each other when you hear of a plan that you don't like -- you'll have a chance to do that during the fourth step. Write down every suggestion. If you give your intelligence a chance to flex its muscle, you will have a long list of possible solutions.

4. Choose the solution that is appealing to both of you.

From your list of solutions, some will satisfy only one of you but not both. However, scattered within the list will be solutions that both of you would find attractive. Among those solutions that are mutually satisfactory, select the one that you both like the most.

When you use the Policy of Joint Agreement to resolve any of your conflicts, neither of you will feel controlled by the other, because you are not being forced to do anything. The only restrictions you will feel are those that prevent you from gaining at each other's expense. That's not control, that's thoughtfulness.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5058a_qa.html

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 69 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation