Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21
P
P
I would put moving on the very front burner because you will not be able to really start recovery until you are away from all the triggers. So be brainstorming ways to make it happen ASAP.

In the meantime, be sure to go out on 4 dates a week with your husband. Make it the best time of the week.

Last edited by Prisca; 06/16/14 03:26 PM.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

B
B
How much UA time are you getting?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Our UA time was down due to health issues, but we usually have 6 hours during the week and 6-8 more hours during the weekend.

Sometimes I stay home for a day to up our UA time, did that last week.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
I
I
Originally Posted by Alada
Yes, we are planning on moving.

I was actually job hunting early this year, but due to my pregnancy we decided to postpone it. Now that I'm no longer pregnant I'm back to the job hunt. Unfortunately, I need to wait one more semester at least due to college calendars.

What do you teach?

Can you do something short term not related to colleges? Consultancy work or temping?

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
Wow, this weekend was filled with triggers. I know that still being at campus is a big one, but I have learned to manage that particular one.
How?

Triggers are not something to manage; triggers are something to avoid. As long as you are in the "managing" mode, you are still experiencing the effects of the trigger. All "managing" is comes down to an attempt to control your response to a stimulus. Dr. Harley will tell you that it is far easier to control the stimulus than it is to control your reaction to it. Exposure to the campus weakens you. You can not afford that.

Please don't deceive yourself into believing that staying on campus is a manageable trigger. It is not. You have to get out of there.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by indiegirl
What do you teach?

Can you do something short term not related to colleges? Consultancy work or temping?

I teach biology, we have actually thought of opening a consulting agency together. But we are deep in debt right now,and that has stopped us.

Our house is on the market right now, not the one where we live in right now. If the sell does happen it will free us and we can have a better horizon.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by mrEureka
Please don't deceive yourself into believing that staying on campus is a manageable trigger. It is not. You have to get out of there.

You are completely right. I have learned to "control" my reaction in ordinary days. ButI have had instances where everything fails and even a little change in campus makes me feel low. A few months ago, my older girl had a day off at school. She wanted to come to work with me, she was excited to go to mom's work. I didn't think anything of it, until I actually turned the engine off of my car in the parking lot. All I can say is that it was a terrible day.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
B
B
Have you listened to these clips from Dr. Harley on how to deal with triggers?
Dr. Harley on How to Deal with Triggers

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks Brainhurts!! You are always so helpful!!

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
B
B
Thanks Brainhurts!! You are always so helpful!!
You're very welcome.

Tell us what you think after you listen. Also, if you don't feel they answer your question you can always email Dr. Harley.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Tell us what you think after you listen.

Well, I think that I have learned to "manage" everyday triggers, like campus. I even think H is an every day trigger, don't you think. Some times, looking at me in the mirror is a trigger. Heck, at some point I forgot how old my little babe was, and finally I realized it was because I didn't want to count past those months. So even looking at my babe's pics is a trigger sometimes.

But as I said I learned to manage those. I choose to think something else. When it gets harder I have a little mantra that I repeat over and over until the triger vanishes.

I do noticed that I'm particularly vulnerable to those tirggers when our UA time is low.

Now, special trigers, is something else. They take me off guard, I usually don't see them coming and they hit me hard.

This weekend we had to go to an event in the vecinity of OW area, we POJAd either going or not. We decided to go but take a longer route to avoid certain areas. Turns out they had construction and we had to take another route, it was hard.

What I take from those clips is to up our UA time, not only in time but in quality. I guess I also need to remember that our recovery is still on its way, I don't have to take it for granted.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
B
B
What I take from those clips is to up our UA time, not only in time but in quality. I guess I also need to remember that our recovery is still on its way, I don't have to take it for granted.

You hit right on what is very important. How much UA do you have scheduled for this week?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
we have 12 hours scheduled out of the house, but we usually spend at least 5 hours per week after the kids are in bed fullfiling ENs

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
M
M
When I was at the point you are at, a single trigger would mess me up for days. I suspect with the frequency you are experiencing triggers, you are always under their influence.

Your spouse seems like a trigger now, but once you get away from the others, he won't seem like one anymore.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
P
P
But as I said I learned to manage those. I choose to think something else. When it gets harder I have a little mantra that I repeat over and over until the triger vanishes.
This is not going to work long term.
The only way you are going to fully recover is if you get away from those things that trigger you to think of the affair. You must stop thinking of the affair, and you can't do it if you are being triggered on a regular basis. Forcing yourself to think of something else doesn't change the fact that you were triggered. It's the TRIGGER that needs to be stopped, not the feelings that follow it.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
we have 12 hours scheduled out of the house, but we usually spend at least 5 hours per week after the kids are in bed fullfiling ENs

Bump that up to 16 hours out of the house.
What do you do during this time?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Prisca
Bump that up to 16 hours out of the house.
Kids wiil be on summer camp soon, and that will make it easier.

Originally Posted by Prisca
What do you do during this time?
We probably spent half of it at a cafe, either reading, playing board games or just chatting. We also go to a bowling place, its fun.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Anyone else having trouble with the rebroadcast, is not running for me today. It starts with the music, but after one or two seconds all I can hear is static.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
M
M
Anyone else having trouble with the rebroadcast, is not running for me today. It starts with the music, but after one or two seconds all I can hear is static.
It depends on exactly how you access the show, but I am certain one is playing. It is actually a "best of" replay from October 1, 2013. It is always possible to access the stream directly. Type the following URL into your web browser:

http://streamer.marriagebuilders.com:8001/prerecorded

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes this one works, the link from the home page is not working. I usually use that link with no problems.
Thanks!

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation