Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
J
J
Sir,

Your biggest challenge with the housing is that you legally cant kick her out of her home.
If she called the police, they would force you to let her in.

Now, she may not be aware of her rights. Let's hope she's not aware.

Did she check herself out?
If so she probably called OM to come pick her up.

K
KSummit Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I will be honest when I say I don't have much hope for your situation and would strongly recommend you file for divorce. I think that your wife is so bad that she would be in jail or living under a bridge if you had not propped her up all this time.

I am starting to feel the same way, which was why I am prepared to not let her back home til she finishes her commitment. You're giving me doubts though about what I should do!

BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 40
DDay - May 14, 2014
4 kids
Married 17 years
J
J
Originally Posted by KSummit
How fast can you get antabuse from her doctor?

And I want to add that if she goes drunk driving again, you MUST CALL THE POLICE ON HER and have her thrown in jail. She is a danger to society.

I think I can get it within a day.

And, I know about the drinking and driving... it might be the thing that saves her life...

Actually, Dr. Harley addressed calling the police on a drunk driving spouse on the radio show a few months ago. It may have involved a poster here, I cant remember.
The husband had called the police and his wife was arrested for drunk driving.
Now, Harley said the man should NOT have done it because it was a huge love buster and that the husband is not to assume the role of a police officer.

K
KSummit Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Sir,

Your biggest challenge with the housing is that you legally cant kick her out of her home.

Understand - unless her name is not on the title, right? Or, because we are married, it doesn't matter?

She signed the papers to check out, but she can't get her possessions until 24 hours have passed, which is around 10:30 am Thursday.

She can't call OM - doesn't have his contact info. But I believe that fear is one of the reasons I made dumb decisions about her drinking for so long. I can't control her drinking or trying to get back with him without her making a decision to put her life and our marriage above those addictions.

BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 40
DDay - May 14, 2014
4 kids
Married 17 years
M
M
[

So, if she checks herself out and heads home, despite our agreement, let her in the house, just with the agreement of AA and antabuse - and no driving freedom or access to money? And one drink requires a return to rehab - but what teeth does that have if I let her come home after just 7 of 28 days where she is at now?

If she drinks again, you get her committed against her will. And you need to tell her this. She needs to know NOW that she will never drink again and live with you.

Do you have the list of AA meetings? Are you prepared to do this?

Are you also suggesting I keep someone watching my kids while she goes through this 30 day sobering-up? There is only one to watch, since the rest are in school. Friend is watching her now, but I was looking for an in-home daycare while my wife was at the women's facility.

Your wife is not a fit parent. Until she sobers up she can't be trusted to watch your dog.

Isn't this unhealthy? I would be the only reason she is keeping to these things and avoiding drink. Isn't this the same as pouring out alcohol in the house, etc?

You are joking, right? The reason that most alcoholics stop drinking is because some caring person, a judge, employer, spouse held a gun to her head.

The ONLY reason I sobered up and stayed that way [long enough to want it myself] is because my XH told me I would be kicked out and not be able to see my kids if I EVER DRANK AGAIN. It has worked so far for 29 years!!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J
I will be honest when I say I don't have much hope for your situation and would strongly recommend you file for divorce. I think that your wife is so bad that she would be in jail or living under a bridge if you had not propped her up all this time.

I am starting to feel the same way, which was why I am prepared to not let her back home til she finishes her commitment. You're giving me doubts though about what I should do!

Personally, I would file for divorce and seek full custody of the children.
But, it's not my life and a decision only you can make.

J
J
Sir,

Understand - unless her name is not on the title, right? Or, because we are married, it doesn't matter?

She signed the papers to check out, but she can't get her possessions until 24 hours have passed, which is around 10:30 am Thursday.

She can't call OM - doesn't have his contact info. But I believe that fear is one of the reasons I made dumb decisions about her drinking for so long. I can't control her drinking or trying to get back with him without her making a decision to put her life and our marriage above those addictions.

Sir, you THINK she doesnt have his contact info!
That's another attempt to control the situation. You have no way of knowing if she has his contact info or not.

M
M
How fast can you get antabuse from her doctor?

And I want to add that if she goes drunk driving again, you MUST CALL THE POLICE ON HER and have her thrown in jail. She is a danger to society.

I think I can get it within a day.

And, I know about the drinking and driving... it might be the thing that saves her life...

Actually, Dr. Harley addressed calling the police on a drunk driving spouse on the radio show a few months ago. It may have involved a poster here, I cant remember.
The husband had called the police and his wife was arrested for drunk driving.
Now, Harley said the man should NOT have done it because it was a huge love buster and that the husband is not to assume the role of a police officer.

I was in communication with Dr Harley TODAY and he agreed that Ksummit should call the police on her if she goes drunk driving. He was disappointed that he protected her from being arrested last week.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Are we on board here? Did you have any questions?

Originally Posted by melodylane
Hi KS, no plan A here. What you do is not allow her to drink again in your home. If she shows up, you have to let her in. I would suggest you give her this deal:

She agrees to take antabuse every morning. You administer yourself and keep the drug on you. She must agree to go to AA meetings every day. [you will have to drive her and stay in the parking lot] If she drinks again, you will have her committed to the rehab where she can't check out.

I would make sure all your credit cards are cancelled and your money in your main account is moved out. Additionally, there should be no alcohol in the house and no car keys.

Do you have someone to watch your kids all day?

Exposure 101

M
M
Is there alcohol in your house?

Exposure 101

K
KSummit Offline OP
OP Offline
K

Rubbing alcohol and GermX - nothing consumable though.

BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 40
DDay - May 14, 2014
4 kids
Married 17 years
M
M
ok, thanks. Have you discussed the antabuse with your wife? Is she drunk yet?

Exposure 101

J
J

This includes no mouthwash, cooking wine, vanilla syrup for coffee, cold syrup etc.

My MIL would also take a bottle of any OTC medicine she could get her hands on. Do you need to get rid of pills too?

Last edited by Jedi_Knight; 08/27/14 10:23 PM. Reason: forgot cold medicine
K
KSummit Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Sir,

Sir, you THINK she doesnt have his contact info!
That's another attempt to control the situation. You have no way of knowing if she has his contact info or not.

Though you may be right, why would she be so vehement to get OM contact info from her friend, angry when friend didn't pass to wife and deleted info, try to break into her old email, angry when I deleted the OM email info, and then go look for OM one night at his bar, writing a love note saying she wished she had his # memorized, and sad she can't contact him. I can't prove anything without being God, but all the hard evidence I have collected and keep tabs on makes me believe that they have had no direct contact since mid-June.

That doesn't make it any better that she was TRYING to contact him recently, and part of my resolve for her to finish her commitment.

Aren't the extraordinary precautions controls to ensure an affair is not incubated/hidden? We haven't gotten very far because of the alcoholism, but there is a marked difference when my wife was in contact with OM and when she has not been in contact with OM.

BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 40
DDay - May 14, 2014
4 kids
Married 17 years
K
KSummit Offline OP
OP Offline
K

This includes no mouthwash, cooking wine, vanilla syrup for coffee, cold syrup etc.

My MIL would also take a bottle of any OTC medicine she could get her hands on. Do you need to get rid of pills too?

NyQuil needs to go - good point. I already keep the pills hidden, as when she would drink, she had times where she would take too many of something.

BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 40
DDay - May 14, 2014
4 kids
Married 17 years
K
KSummit Offline OP
OP Offline
K

No, she's still in the rehab - til at least 10:15-10:30 tomorrow. They have a 24 hour cooling off period before they release her belongings. She could leave now, but would only have what she was wearing and whatever she had in her room, no luggage, money, or cell phone.

And, the rehab is 7 miles from a small town that is about 45 minutes from a major city in Texas... but many hours from our city. She won't make it home quickly without me getting her, or her figuring out how to make it to the airport and buy a ticket. The rehab does not offer rides if a patient checks out AMA.

BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 40
DDay - May 14, 2014
4 kids
Married 17 years
J
J
Out of curiosity, since these are all private clinics are you paying for these?
My MIL would apply for grants to go to them (she refused to go to AA), because she had no means to pay by herself.

M
M

No, she's still in the rehab - til at least 10:15-10:30 tomorrow. They have a 24 hour cooling off period before they release her belongings. She could leave now, but would only have what she was wearing and whatever she had in her room, no luggage, money, or cell phone.

And, the rehab is 7 miles from a small town that is about 45 minutes from a major city in Texas... but many hours from our city. She won't make it home quickly without me getting her, or her figuring out how to make it to the airport and buy a ticket. The rehab does not offer rides if a patient checks out AMA.

I see. I didn't realize she was not home. How does she plan to get home?

Exposure 101

K
KSummit Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I see. I didn't realize she was not home. How does she plan to get home?

Not sure... part of me thinks the whole thing is a bluff. But, she is very impulsive and doesn't think things through, so I wouldn't be surprised if she follows through and sits on the side of a rural Texas highway just as a protest.

If I leave the one credit card active, she could get a ride to an airport and buy a ticket.

BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 40
DDay - May 14, 2014
4 kids
Married 17 years
K
KSummit Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Out of curiosity, since these are all private clinics are you paying for these?
My MIL would apply for grants to go to them (she refused to go to AA), because she had no means to pay by herself.

Insurance covers it - after I had to pay a huge portion of the first couple stays. We are at out-of-pocket max for the year, but the financial damage has already been done.

OM convinced her that AA was garbage, and that she could "drink moderately". She spouted this until about mid-July. OM did not drink moderately - bragged several times to her that he could have 20 shots without major ordeal.

BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 40
DDay - May 14, 2014
4 kids
Married 17 years
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 250 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation