Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23
K
K
I should add that we typically don't start out asking why. When negotiating, we suggest alternatives looking for win-win solutions. It often happens that we'll arrive at a solution, and then, in a sort of post-mortem analysis, we'll ask each other why we feel the way we do simply to try to understand each other better.

P
P
When a couple is new to negotiation, and are already having trouble with POJA, it is best to stay away from "Why?" I have already stated the reasons for this. Glad it works for you, KeepLearning, but suggesting it to couples who are struggling is dangerous.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

K
K
Originally Posted by Prisca
KeepLearning, you are the exception rather than the rule. Markos and I have been on this board helping couples far longer than you, and have seen how this plays out in their negotiations. It is best, for most couples, to avoid the "Why?"
Understood. Thanks for your perspective.

When you say you've been on this board helping couples far longer than I, it sounds like you're assuming I'm trying to help couples on this board. Actually, I'm mostly here to ask questions and learn. If I happen to have an experience or a thought from one of Dr. Harley's writings that I think will help another poster, I'll offer it, but what I'm primarily here for is to better my understanding of his principles.

P
P
When you say you've been on this board helping couples far longer than I, it sounds like you're assuming I'm trying to help couples on this board. Actually, I'm mostly here to ask questions and learn. If I happen to have an experience or a thought from one of Dr. Harley's writings that I think will help another poster, I'll offer it, but what I'm primarily here for is to better my understanding of his principles.
Okay, people are usually asked to stick to their own thread if that is what they want to do. It can be disruptive to insert yourself into other peoples threads.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Originally Posted by KeepLearning
Actually, I'm mostly here to ask questions and learn.

Be careful to do it in a way that doesn't make risky suggestions on the threads of other folks seeking help. This post took the thread down a wrong turn that is distracting to the other poster and encourages a course of action that her husband may very well find disrespectful:

Originally Posted by markos
Don't waste any energy analyzing why he feels this way or should he feel different, just knock it off like any other annoying behavior, and negotiate an alternative.
Analyzing why may open up possibilities for negotiating an alternative. For example, if he is offended by the smell of the pets, keeping them well groomed may be a solution to the problem. I'm not suggesting that she try to change the way he feels, but I do think understanding more about the problem can help with finding solutions.

We shouldn't need to go on for thirty posts about it here on somebody else's thread. If you have further questions they ought to go on your own thread, rather than debating and disagreeing with the people who are here day in and day out trying to help others learn how to follow this program, sometimes in very volatile situations.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
K
K
I understand.

TenaciousOne, sorry for the threadjack.

T
OP Offline
T
I understand.

TenaciousOne, sorry for the threadjack.

No worries!

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Prisca
KeepLearning,

It is often very impossible to understand the WHY of what the other person thinks or feels. It is usually a distraction in the negotiation process, and very often leads to disrespectful judgements and fighting. Especially for those who are new at negotiation.

It is best to stay away from Why questions:
"It bothers me when the pets are in the house."
"Okay. Let's negotiate. Would it bother you if they come in during the day, but are put out before you get home? Or does it bother you that they are in at all? etc ...."
Negotiation starts.

vs.

"It bothers me when the pets are in the house."
"Why?"
"I just hate that they get hair all over the place and stuff."
"But why? They really don't shed that much, and it's never bothered you before ..."
Fight starts.

Why questions are open ended and very easily seen as a challenge.

We took the first approach. When I offered the solution of pets in the house during the day, he moved off of no pets in the house at all. We handled the conflict well. No fighting. No DJ's.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
M
M
Remove Post

Last edited by MySacredMarriage; 09/04/14 09:41 AM. Reason: Realized I might distract from original poster questions
B
B
What was your final agreement?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
What was your final agreement?

Pets... He texts me when he will be home. I put them out before he gets home. My poodle is allowed in the house anytime, but not on our bed. She can get on the couch though. The border collies aren't allowed on anything. No more cats as pets. But, we haven't figured out what to do about the feral cats. Usually, I would spay and neuter them, put flea treatment on them and they live outside. But, I don't think he is enthusiastic about spending money on every cat that shows up. But, I know he isn't enthusiastic about another litter of kittens born under our house either. That issue needs more work.

The Class Reunion.... No agreement yet. He said he is enthusiastic about me going because it only comes around every five years, there's been no problems in the past with me attending them, and no "old flames" will be there.

Last edited by TenaciousOne; 09/05/14 08:20 AM.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
M
M
Originally Posted by TenaciousOne
[

The Class Reunion.... No agreement yet. He said he is enthusiastic about me going because it only comes around every five years, there's been no problems in the past with me attending them, and no "old flames" will be there.

All it takes is one time. This is why Dr Harley doesn't recommend going to these things without your spouse. It really isn't worth it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

T
OP Offline
T
Now that LB's are under control, we need to ramp up our need meeting. I've been in withdrawal for a long time and didn't know what my EN's were. Now, I think they are IC and non-physical affection. Physical affection is way down the list. My husband's are physical affection and SF.

Dr. H says we should have emotional feelings when our EN's are met. My husband does, I don't. Is that because I'm still below the threshold? My husband is much more romantic than me. He needs romance, I don't.

The other night we got home from football practice at about 8:30, retired to the bedroom around 9. H started kissing me and then asked for specific type of SF. I was sorta annoyed by this. I had to decline because I had bit my tongue and there was a spot that hurt a great deal. H understood, but rolled over to go to sleep. I asked him if he would stay awake and hold hands and watch the game with me. He said yes and asked how long did I want him to stay awake.

This whole sitch left me with a bad feeling, but I can't really explain why? I shouldn't be any more annoyed by him asking for SF than I would something else? Should I? How is it any different than a wife asking for a back rub or conversation? If I asked for a back rub or some talk time, and my H seemed annoyed by it, I might take that as a lovebuster. I don't think he knew I was annoyed. I don't think I lovebusted him.

I want loverbusters to leave and enthusiastic need meeting to begin.

Part of me feels my lack of enthusiasm is because I'm not in love and my husband's weight is affecting my attraction to him.

I can recall twice when I had a positive emotional feeling during SF. If SF is at the bottom of my en list, should I still have a positive emotional feeling during sex? Is it okay, that I don't?

Last edited by TenaciousOne; 09/10/14 11:48 AM.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
H
H
I wouldn't start by "ramping up need meeting," instead remember how UA time is defined, and ramp up your UA time instead.

Both of your Love Banks will fill much quicker, and your most important ENs will be better revealed, after a few months of 25+ hours each week of solid UA time.

So; eliminate love busters, ramp up UA time. Then reevaluate ENs.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
T
OP Offline
T
I know what you're saying, HHH. We've both expressed our concern over me not being able to meet his SF need. I never have, really. He said, he feels like he is sacrificing in that area.

For it to work it needs to be enjoyable and emotionally bonding. It isn't. I'm afraid my marriage will fail anyway.

Last edited by TenaciousOne; 09/16/14 05:16 PM.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
T
OP Offline
T
I could really use some help here.

I emailed this on the 17th, I haven't heard from the Harley's yet.

"My husband and I have been married for 23 years with three kids. For almost 16 years my husband was addicted to computer games. Lots of neglect and love busters from both of us during that time. He quit playing for good this year. After listening to the radio show, he concluded that his gaming addiction was like an affair. He really gets it now. Through that time, I capitulated, and had unenthusiastic sex. It set up a nasty aversion. I have completed the aversion tasks from the website.

Fast forward to the present, our love busters have been gone for three months. I'm still way below the threshold though. Because I spent so many years in withdrawal, it's been difficult to identify my emotional needs. We think they are intimate conversation and non-physical affection. My husband's needs are physical affection and sex. He is meeting my needs, but I can't meet his.

We understand that a wife needs an emotional bond and the prospect of enjoying the sex. Right now, I have neither. I disassociate during sex so I can perform, I can get aroused and have an orgasm, but immediately after I feel shame, disgust and self-loathing. It takes a day or two to shake that feeling. Also, my husband is about 100 pounds overweight. I don't know how much of this is physical attraction vs aversion or both.

What do we do now? If we take sex off the table, how long would my husband need to wait? If I can't recover, should he leave me?" End of email.

Sex has been off the table since the 16th. My husband wants physical affection. But, I'm not enthusiastic about it. I read in HNHNs that "affection that is sexually motivated, isn't affection, but sex." ALL the affection we have ever had was sexually motivated.

The other night, H and I were out to dinner. I looks at me and says, "Hey let's make out when we get home." I just looked at him. I know he meant, Hey let's go home and cuddled. But, everything in me, heard... Let's go home and have sex. I can't relax around him. I feel like my bed is a trigger, his touch is a trigger.

Do I need to redo the aversion exercises. I'm not meeting my H's needs and it is hurting him.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
E
E
Yes, start with aversion exercises.
He will need to learn what words to avoid for now.

How many hours of UA are the two of you getting?
You can meet his other needs for now.

Are there any lingering LB around?

Sorry things are so hard!

I'll be interested in what Dr Harley had to say.

BW-3 Kids
Sep:2014
Divorced

"I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
I will persist until I succeed." Og Mandino
T
OP Offline
T
No love busters. We probably spend 12 to 15 hours talking, sometimes while sitting close or holding hands, or we'll talk on the phone during his commute home. We go out to dinner and grocery shopping.

He wants to retire to the bedroom at 9 and have physical affection. Lots of kissing and him rubbing my body. I need to re-program my mind to not automatically associate that with sex.

It's been two weeks, I wonder if I should re-send the email?

Last edited by TenaciousOne; 09/29/14 02:03 PM.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (sergio45), 491 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation