Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 66 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 65 66
W
W
Melody, don't you agree that she should show him a new independent side? I.E. getting herself on board with an education, going out with friends and having him watch the kids, etc.

your thoughts?

W
W
i agree....no counselor. They will make things worse. Furthermore, the husband will either use the counselor to his advantage, or lie.

M
M
Originally Posted by wenang
Melody, don't you agree that she should show him a new independent side? I.E. getting herself on board with an education, going out with friends and having him watch the kids, etc.

your thoughts?

No, I don't think she should be showing independence at all. That would be a disaster and is completely against MB concepts. I don't have time to answer your questions and help her. Can you please read the MB material first and then post?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Please listen to the clips in here Beware of Bad Counselors

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

W
W
**edit**

moderator's note: please familiarize yourself with MB principles and stop disrupting this thread! Any questions, email me at MBDenali@gmail.com

Last edited by Denali; 10/15/14 10:02 AM. Reason: TOS non MB advice
U
U
Originally Posted by jkwpurple
He hasn't said anything else to me about us or her since he said he would "think about" cutting her loose and recommitting to me.

He is not going to talk to you about his secret affair. Even though he has confessed, you are not his go to person with information about his affair.

He did make an appointment for us to see the counselor together "because it is a good place to hash things out" and one for him by himself. I imagine this means that he has decided to continue with the ow and doesn't want a scene at home with the kids around.

He is absolutely right about one thing, counseling will be a place to 'hash things out.' I went to two separate counselors and we hashed things out. I left emotionally upset and withdrawn and my husband left upset and withdrawn. The goal of MB is to focus on today and tomorrow, NOT rehash all of the things you have done in the past. You have both done things to hurt each other and create a marriage that was ripe for affairs. But right now it is the AFFAIR that is causing destruction in your marriage. The affair is what has to be dealt with before you can focus on changing your behaviors for a better future.

My plan: not fall apart. No scene. Tell him he's making the biggest mistake of his life. I think he will want to discuss terms of separation, so I will do that calmly.

Not falling apart or making a scene is a great plan! You want to talk to him as a calm confident woman, confidence is far more attractive than falling apart! But you do not want to educate him, or discuss separation with him. Tell him you will only discuss marriage, that if he commits to ending his affair you have a plan on how to create the marriage of his dreams. Tell him you will talk marriage, not separation or divorce.

U
U
Purple:I understand you are breastfeeding so it may be difficult, but can you at least go out for 2 hours at night? Can you get someone to watch the kids? Dr Harley often suggests women need to get their education and have a career so they are not put in a position of no financial means of support. Do you need career advice? Listen to Dr Harley's radio show yesterday. A woman has a similar situation and Dr Harley insists she go back to school immediately. First, it will show your husband you are moving in a path of independence. Secondly, it will be good for you. You will be putting your husband off track and drive him nuts.

Purple will have plenty of time to get an education and focus on her career when she is in Plan B. Right now she should be focusing on exposure and killing this affair, followed by a short but stellar Plan A.

The goal of Plan A is not to show your spouse you can be independent or to drive him nuts. It is to be as attractive an option to him as possible, and show him the kind of marriage he could be walking away from. It is not attractive to go out with friends and make him wonder where you are, or to show IB or drive him nuts. These actions will drive him toward the OW, not toward you.

U
U
Everyone: Isn't Plan A only done if husband agrees to stop seeing the OW? jkwpurple's husband is not saying that at all. What does she do in this case? Isn't Plan A going to keep her in a bad environment?

Plan A is done as a means to convince the WS to end their affair. Once it is ended you can move into recovery. Plan A is not easy or healthy in the long run, which is why Dr Harley recommends women only be in Plan A for 3 weeks, or they will suffer emotional and physical trauma.

U
U
He hasn't said anything else to me about us or her since he said he would "think about" cutting her loose and recommitting to me. He did make an appointment for us to see the counselor together "because it is a good place to hash things out" and one for him by himself. I imagine this means that he has decided to continue with the ow and doesn't want a scene at home with the kids around. My plan: not fall apart. No scene. Tell him he's making the biggest mistake of his life. I think he will want to discuss terms of separation, so I will do that calmly.

Then expose and plan a.

What am I leaving out?

Thank God I found this forum when I did. I would be falling apart right now. You guys have shown me that I will make it, no matter what. I WILL MAKE IT. Eventually.

You have a paragraph about counseling and rehashing and discussing separation. FOLLOWED by 'then expose and Plan A.'

What you are leaving out is that EXPOSURE should be your first and only goal right now, not counseling, rehashing, or discussing separation. Killing this affair is the #1 goal, is it not?

So how are you coming on exposure?

M
M
From what I've heard the homeschool community is a fantastically supportive community. When you expose you WILL upset your husband (your marriage can survive him being upset but it won't survive a continuing and more deeply entrenched affair) it COULD very well result in him playing games with money as a matter of punishing you and/or manipulating you to STOP messing with his addiction/affair. This is typically short lived and ill-advised (should you end up in a court asking for temporary orders of support with 4 kids...the judge won't look favorably upon your husband). Therefore, I recommend you prepare for such scenario by including in your exposure any and all persons that can support you. You're likely to be pleasantly surprised at the support you receive. There are a lot of secret betrayed spouses out there that know exactly what you are going through and will help you. Because these things are kept secret so often you'll never know exactly who they are unless you share your crisis with a broad net of person.

There is HOPE in TRUTH. Don't be embarrassed. You have nothing to be ashamed off and most everyone will be supportive of your WH should he change his ways and redeem himself.

You may even call his parents and say "I am not asking you to choose sides, though I hope you will, it's not necessary. Your son has cut me and your grandchildren off financially for the time being and I could really use your help".

Godspeed,

Mr. W

Last edited by MrWondering; 10/15/14 11:17 AM.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
J
J
Also, a couple of you have mentioned cheaterville. What is the purpose of putting her on there?

The purpose is exposure.

G
OP Offline
G
So you guys suggest cancelling the appt? Tell him that whatever he wants to say he just needs to say it?

Me BW
Married 18 years before D-day
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
D-day - 10/14/14 Plan B - 11/30/14
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by unwritten
You have a paragraph about counseling and rehashing and discussing separation. FOLLOWED by 'then expose and Plan A.'

What you are leaving out is that EXPOSURE should be your first and only goal right now, not counseling, rehashing, or discussing separation. Killing this affair is the #1 goal, is it not?

Yes. Killing the affair. How am I coming? I am terrified. And I can't find any of ow family or friends. I know her name (first, middle initial, last), her cell number and carrier, and I found a picture of her on the precinct's Facebook page. Should I just go ahead with our friends and family?

Last edited by jkwpurple; 10/15/14 12:12 PM.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
G
OP Offline
G
Not falling apart or making a scene is a great plan! You want to talk to him as a calm confident woman, confidence is far more attractive than falling apart! But you do not want to educate him, or discuss separation with him. Tell him you will only discuss marriage, that if he commits to ending his affair you have a plan on how to create the marriage of his dreams. Tell him you will talk marriage, not separation or divorce.

And if he says ok, I'm leaving, I just let him go without making arrangements for kids or money? Not being snarky - genuinely asking.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
M
M
So you guys suggest cancelling the appt? Tell him that whatever he wants to say he just needs to say it?

I would not go to counseling. When there is an affair, counseling can be - and usually is - a DISASTER.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
[
Yes. Killing the affair. How am I coming? I am terrified. And I can't find any of ow family or friends. I know her name (first, middle initial, last), her cell number and carrier, and I found a picture of her on the precinct's Facebook page. Should I just go ahead with our friends and family?

I would go ahead and expose using the suggestions on my exposure thread. And, do not stop searching for the OW on Facebook. Don't give up. Try and look up other employees on Facebook and see if she is a friend to them. Be creative and keep looking. You need to find her!

Exposure 101

M
M

And if he says ok, I'm leaving, I just let him go without making arrangements for kids or money? Not being snarky - genuinely asking.

You cannot stop him from leaving. All you say is that you will expect him to continue supporting the family. He HAS to continue supporting you. If he stops, you can file for an emergency support order and the judge will make mincemeat of him.

Exposure 101

U
U

You will get through this!

Have you used any online search engines, I know some require a small fee but I think the cost is totally worth it. With her name and phone number you should be able to look up additional information that way, an address, next of kin, etc. I know if I do a free white pages search I can always find some info, like city and state and next of kin (with links on how to get more detailed info, usually for a cost, and I have never had to use that).

You have to be a bulldog about this.

I
I
Exposing OW is critical. That's what will cause trouble in the A.

The typical OW is a stalker. Most BWs need to get rid of her quick and get rid of her good.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

G
OP Offline
G
How in the world do you tell your kids something like this? Do I give him the opportunity to be with us as I tell them?

I have realized that his good friends are work friends. I think I need to wait on that to give him the chance to quit rather than be fired. But family and a couple of friends I know I can tell now.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
Page 5 of 66 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 65 66

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 624 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation