Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25
markos #2825779 10/27/14 10:01 AM
P
P
Yes yes yes I know all of this but they do not believe that living together is a bad thing (most of their generation does not believe it is a bad thing and I would say 90% of their friends live together as well and no matter what I say to them I am old fashioned)
I would say that a good number of my generation do not see anything wrong with living together, either, and yet there is no way in hell my mom would have ever let me shack up with a boyfriend in her home.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

markos #2825780 10/27/14 10:05 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Still_Crazy
I understand what you are saying Melody but regardless of my beliefs I can't push them on my children,

I would leave beliefs out of it - having adult children living with you long term when those adult children seem incapable of caring for themselves is going to make you crazy.

They will not learn to fly until they are knocked out of the nest.

This guy is a deadbeat for shacking up with some girl and letting the girl's mother pay for his living expenses. He's a bum. He needs to be gone today, and she needs to be given notice that she's got a month or a week or something to find some other arrangement for herself.

No wonder your daughter is not in love with him any more - he's a bum!

That is far from the truth, he has supported them for the most part, my DD is the bum!!!

markos #2825781 10/27/14 10:07 AM
S
OP Offline
S
if I let them live with me long enough to save toward their marriage and house

How much does it cost to get married? A license is less than $50, right? crazy

How many years have they lived with you, and they still don't have $50 to their name?

My DD wanted a big wedding with all the everything and me and her dad don't have the money for anything so they will be doing it on their own. I am not trying to make excuses for them I am just telling you what has happened.

Prisca #2825782 10/27/14 10:14 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Prisca
Yes yes yes I know all of this but they do not believe that living together is a bad thing (most of their generation does not believe it is a bad thing and I would say 90% of their friends live together as well and no matter what I say to them I am old fashioned)
I would say that a good number of my generation do not see anything wrong with living together, either, and yet there is no way in hell my mom would have ever let me shack up with a boyfriend in her home.

Nor would have mine but like I said I thought it would help head them in the direction of marriage which is what I have wanted all along and they would have lived together whether they lived with me or not.

L
L

Nor would have mine but like I said I thought it would help head them in the direction of marriage which is what I have wanted all along and they would have lived together whether they lived with me or not.

But having your daughter and her boyfriend live with you condoned and enabled their poor choice of lifestyle.

Of course we need to avoid foisting our beliefs onto others, since it's mostly futile anyway and often drives away the recipients of our unwanted wisdom; however, if an adult child makes a decision against our own beliefs, we certainly can avoid supporting the choice financially.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
M
M
I understand what you are saying Melody but regardless of my beliefs I can't push them on my children,

I would leave beliefs out of it - having adult children living with you long term when those adult children seem incapable of caring for themselves is going to make you crazy.

They will not learn to fly until they are knocked out of the nest.

This guy is a deadbeat for shacking up with some girl and letting the girl's mother pay for his living expenses. He's a bum. He needs to be gone today, and she needs to be given notice that she's got a month or a week or something to find some other arrangement for herself.

No wonder your daughter is not in love with him any more - he's a bum!

That is far from the truth, he has supported them for the most part, my DD is the bum!!!

Yet she's making his car payments.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

How many years have they lived with you, and they still don't have $50 to their name?

My DD wanted a big wedding with all the everything and me and her dad don't have the money for anything so they will be doing it on their own. I am not trying to make excuses for them I am just telling you what has happened.

I have no idea why that should stop them getting married.

You want a nice steak dinner, but you are broke, so you buy hotdogs.

You want a trip to Europe, but you can't afford it, so you take a weekend trip to see the sights in the next county.

You want a big wedding, but you can't afford it, so you go get married by a justice of the peace.

I don't see any excuses as necessary - I just have no idea why you tolerate this crazy making from your daughter. If she wants to live that way, that's her choice, but why should it be at your expense? You aren't helping her by enabling such irresponsible behavior.

Last edited by markos; 10/27/14 10:42 AM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

No, helping people live together doesn't help them move in the direction of marriage. It helps them decide that marriage is never necessary.

B
B
My DD wanted a big wedding with all the everything...

DD has no business getting married. If she is a bum and treated her ex-BF poorly, getting a marriage license is ill advised. She sounds very immature.

I don't think you will take any advice discontinuing this living arrangement but if you really think of this boy as a son, I would have DD move out. She has a car and furniture in storage. She needs to grow up.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M

But they are not doing it on their own - they are doing it on your dime.

Doesn't that drive you nuts?

What you are saying to them and to us is that you value a big wedding "party," but do not value marriage.

M
M
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
Do you listen to the radio show? The Harleys discuss dating a lot. They advocate lots of dating for fun, without sex or living together.

I didn't see an answer to this question.

I'd also like to suggest you recommend the radio show to your daughter. Handing some a book or radio show recommendation is a lot less intrusive than offering advice, especially from a mother to a grown daughter.

Maybe you could become regular listeners together!

markos #2825820 10/27/14 12:14 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Yet she's making his car payments.

No he is making her car payments, she has been driving the car since the beginning, he rides his bike except on days that she does not have to work and then he will take the car. It is almost paid off and most of the time she only worked part time (prior to living with me) and he made the payments yet he is willing to let her have the car.

S
OP Offline
S
But having your daughter and her boyfriend live with you condoned and enabled their poor choice of lifestyle.

Of course we need to avoid foisting our beliefs onto others, since it's mostly futile anyway and often drives away the recipients of our unwanted wisdom; however, if an adult child makes a decision against our own beliefs, we certainly can avoid supporting the choice financially.

I do not support them financially, they pay all of their own bills and split utilities and groceries with us this was just so they could save more money for the wedding my daughter wanted to have up until this OS friend moved back to our state and started hanging around (which was less than a month ago).

markos #2825826 10/27/14 12:23 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I have no idea why that should stop them getting married.

You want a nice steak dinner, but you are broke, so you buy hotdogs.

You want a trip to Europe, but you can't afford it, so you take a weekend trip to see the sights in the next county.

You want a big wedding, but you can't afford it, so you go get married by a justice of the peace.

I don't see any excuses as necessary - I just have no idea why you tolerate this crazy making from your daughter. If she wants to live that way, that's her choice, but why should it be at your expense? You aren't helping her by enabling such irresponsible behavior.

You are preaching to the choir I have told her this for a long time and that we could do things ourselves and it would not cost as much and that mine and her dad's wedding wasn't that expensive yet it was nice but she keeps saying that is not what she wants and she didn't want to get married until she could have what she wants.

That is why I was trying to help her get her big wedding because as horrible as it makes me feel to say, I do not know if my DD will ever find another BF that will be able to put up with her, she is not easy to deal with.

U
U
the BF does have a job and worked two for quite a while until he got this one but he works tons of overtime so he does not really have time to work a second job.

Then there is no reason he cannot afford to move out, if he is working full time plus a lot of OT.

I do not have the money to give him a down payment on a vehicle and the two of them are working out the down payment and such but it will take all the money they have saved and without a room mate I don't think he can afford rent, utilities and a car payment on his own. And he paid more on the current vehicle than my DD, but she will not give it up because the BF has been bicycling to work and that is the reason they figured they could get by with one car until they paid this one off and then get another one TOGETHER before it got too cold out for the BF to keep riding his bike to work. And my DD would have no other way to work besides this current vehicle.

Who took out the loan for the vehicle, did they take it out together? Whoever has the loan gets the vehicle and the payments to go with it. It doesn't really matter if your DD is using it to get to work, if it is BF's vehicle. Having to find a new means of transportation in that case is a consequence of her choice to pursue the new guy instead.

As far as the car goes...he can look at cheaper options, a less expensive car, taking the bus, sharing rides to work.... Bottom line is you are making excuses for everything from them living together under your roof, to the reason he can't possibly make it without you. You really need to stop being 'bff mom' and start being DD's mother.

If you love the bf like your own child, letting him stand on his own two feet is the way to show it. If you think its awkward, how good do you think it makes him feel about himself to be sponging off of his ex gf who left him for another guy's mother. And how attractive do you think it makes him to woman who will treat him better. Enabling him and helping him stay in this destructive situation is not showing him love AT ALL.

L
L

I do not support them financially, they pay all of their own bills and split utilities and groceries with us this was just so they could save more money for the wedding my daughter wanted to have up until this OS friend moved back to our state and started hanging around (which was less than a month ago).

They both lived with you, did they not? They lived in your house and split the bills with you. That's helping to support them financially. If they wanted to live together and you didn't support that, they could have found an apartment and paid ALL their own bills without any of your support.

That's what I would have done had my daughter wanted to live with a boyfriend. I would have told her I thought it was wrong to make such a choice and that it was a poor lifestyle choice if she wants a great marriage. Then they would have had to completely support themselves by finding and funding a place to live without any financial support from me, to include splitting any bills of any sort.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by black_raven
My DD wanted a big wedding with all the everything...

DD has no business getting married. If she is a bum and treated her ex-BF poorly, getting a marriage license is ill advised. She sounds very immature.

I don't think you will take any advice discontinuing this living arrangement but if you really think of this boy as a son, I would have DD move out. She has a car and furniture in storage. She needs to grow up.

Actually the advice I came to ask was how to keep my daughter from breaking up with her BF because of her OS friend and it is not that I will not take the advice about the living arrangements, it is that while yes it is my house and I could tell them both to just get out, I can't do that as my DD mother and she is the one who also wants the BF to saty because she feels guilty about breaking up with him.

And as sad as this is raven you are correct about my DD but could you throw out your own kid?

S
OP Offline
S
They both lived with you, did they not? They lived in your house and split the bills with you. That's helping to support them financially. If they wanted to live together and you didn't support that, they could have found an apartment and paid ALL their own bills without any of your support.

That's what I would have done had my daughter wanted to live with a boyfriend. I would have told her I thought it was wrong to make such a choice and that it was a poor lifestyle choice if she wants a great marriage. Then they would have had to completely support themselves by finding and funding a place to live without any financial support from me, to include splitting any bills of any sort.

They lived on there own prior to moving in with me in two different places for a total of three years, prior to that they just dated and I am guessing spent the night at friends or something I do not know.

I have been telling my DD all this time that it is something I do not agree with and wanted it to change so SHE asked me to move in to save money for the wedding that she wanted to have and I agreed because I loved the BF and wanted them to get married.

M
M
this was just so they could save more money for the wedding my daughter wanted to have

Why? Why did you want her to do this?

M
M
That is why I was trying to help her get her big wedding because as horrible as it makes me feel to say, I do not know if my DD will ever find another BF that will be able to put up with her, she is not easy to deal with.

Marriage Builders is about the fact that people can change. Instead of supporting her incredibly self-destructive decision to shack up with this bum, why don't you buy her some books and listen to the Marriage Builders radio show with her?

Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 731 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation