Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 24 25
S
OP Offline
S
Then there is no reason he cannot afford to move out, if he is working full time plus a lot of OT.

Who took out the loan for the vehicle, did they take it out together? Whoever has the loan gets the vehicle and the payments to go with it. It doesn't really matter if your DD is using it to get to work, if it is BF's vehicle. Having to find a new means of transportation in that case is a consequence of her choice to pursue the new guy instead.

As far as the car goes...he can look at cheaper options, a less expensive car, taking the bus, sharing rides to work.... Bottom line is you are making excuses for everything from them living together under your roof, to the reason he can't possibly make it without you. You really need to stop being 'bff mom' and start being DD's mother.

If you love the bf like your own child, letting him stand on his own two feet is the way to show it. If you think its awkward, how good do you think it makes him feel about himself to be sponging off of his ex gf who left him for another guy's mother. And how attractive do you think it makes him to woman who will treat him better. Enabling him and helping him stay in this destructive situation is not showing him love AT ALL.
[/quote]

They took out the loan for the car TOGETHER and it is in both of their names as is everything else they have, their phone bill, the dog (they bought him). The BF has paid more for the car than my DD but he wants her to have the car not him and they only have 2 more payments.

And it does sound like I am making excuses but I am merely stating the facts, his hours would not allow him to take public transportation, it is not available when he goes to work, he could take it home.

And DD is the one who wants to help him now get a car because she feels guilty that cold weather is upon us and the BF will no longer drive the car because he considers it hers even though he paid for most of it, I have nothing to do with that except that I feel bad for him.

If anything I really should be throwing out my DD, she is the irresponsible one.

markos #2825838 10/27/14 12:50 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Still_Crazy
That is why I was trying to help her get her big wedding because as horrible as it makes me feel to say, I do not know if my DD will ever find another BF that will be able to put up with her, she is not easy to deal with.

Marriage Builders is about the fact that people can change. Instead of supporting her incredibly self-destructive decision to shack up with this bum, why don't you buy her some books and listen to the Marriage Builders radio show with her?

Have tried that too, she is not interested.......

M
M
I have been telling my DD all this time that it is something I do not agree with and wanted it to change so SHE asked me to move in to save money for the wedding that she wanted to have and I agreed because I loved the BF and wanted them to get married.

If my daughter did that, I would tell her that I don't care if she has a big wedding or not and that weddings are worth zero when people don't value marriage.

Your plan didn't work - all it did was help them put off getting married or breaking up longer.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
That is why I was trying to help her get her big wedding because as horrible as it makes me feel to say, I do not know if my DD will ever find another BF that will be able to put up with her, she is not easy to deal with.

Marriage Builders is about the fact that people can change. Instead of supporting her incredibly self-destructive decision to shack up with this bum, why don't you buy her some books and listen to the Marriage Builders radio show with her?

When will you be letting her know she needs to leave?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2825841 10/27/14 12:52 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I have been telling my DD all this time that it is something I do not agree with and wanted it to change so SHE asked me to move in to save money for the wedding that she wanted to have and I agreed because I loved the BF and wanted them to get married.

If my daughter did that, I would tell her that I don't care if she has a big wedding or not and that weddings are worth zero when people don't value marriage.

Your plan didn't work - all it did was help them put off getting married or breaking up longer.

It didn't work but it is already done and there is nothing I can do to change what is done

markos #2825842 10/27/14 12:54 PM
S
OP Offline
S

When will you be letting her know she needs to leave?

I won't, she is my daughter and I can't, I certainly will not let any other BFs live here with her but I can't throw out my own kid just because she does not have the same beliefs that I have.

U
U
They took out the loan for the car TOGETHER and it is in both of their names as is everything else they have, their phone bill, the dog (they bought him). The BF has paid more for the car than my DD but he wants her to have the car not him and they only have 2 more payments.

If they took it out together, and paid for it together, and pay it off together, then it belongs to both of them equally. Since they are splitting up, that means one would have to buy the other one out from the car, or they would have to sell the car and split the money. Right?

DD getting the car is just another example of enabling her poor behavior, although this time her bf is enabling her. He needs to get a backbone here, and you need to encourage him to do so.

B
B
And as sad as this is raven you are correct about my DD but could you throw out your own kid?

Yes

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
markos #2825846 10/27/14 12:58 PM
S
OP Offline
S
this was just so they could save more money for the wedding my daughter wanted to have

Why? Why did you want her to do this?

Because even though she does not have the same beliefs as me as far as living together doesn't mean she should not have the wedding she wants. I mean when it boils down to it me personally could not just not have a relationship with my daughter because she lives with her BF

U
U
Originally Posted by unwritten
If you love the bf like your own child, letting him stand on his own two feet is the way to show it. If you think its awkward, how good do you think it makes him feel about himself to be sponging off of his ex gf who left him for another guy's mother. And how attractive do you think it makes him to woman who will treat him better. Enabling him and helping him stay in this destructive situation is not showing him love AT ALL.

And what about THIS, how do you feel about this? Do you think it is showing love to enable him to live in this destructive and awkward situation?

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by black_raven
And as sad as this is raven you are correct about my DD but could you throw out your own kid?

Yes

Well I can't, not for this, if it was for something illegal or drugs or some craziness I have heard other people talk about yes, but not just because she thinks living together is ok.

U
U

Yes

x2

What is YOUR reason for keeping her there and enabling her poor behavior? You said the only reason you let them move in was because you [mistakenly] thought it would help them move toward marriage. Obviously, that did not pan out and that reasoning is no longer valid. So what is your reason now? The real reason, not all this stuff about how they work full time and pay their bills and you do not support them financially, yet somehow they can't afford to move out on their own think

B
B

Yes

Well I can't, not for this, if it was for something illegal or drugs or some craziness I have heard other people talk about yes, but not just because she thinks living together is ok.

That's not why you would be kicking her out though, S_C. She came to live with you to save money for a down payment on a one-day-marital house (although now it's supposedly was for a big wedding)....but neither is an issue any longer since BF is now ex-BF. Why does she need to keep living there? She lived on her own once before and she can do it again. She can find a roommate...she already has a car and household items. How old is she?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
S
OP Offline
S

And what about THIS, how do you feel about this? Do you think it is showing love to enable him to live in this destructive and awkward situation?

First off my DD did this to the BF and neither of them are with anyone else, he has been spending all of his money for all of their things and my DD just spent hers however she wanted for the last 5 years.

My DD is the bad guy in all of this not the BF, so how is throwing him out until he can himself together for a minute a destructive situation? It is all certainly awkward for all of us and I would think that he would want to leave but maybe he is hoping she will change her mind.

S
OP Offline
S

Yes

That's not why you would be kicking her out though, S_C. She came to live with you to save money for a down payment on a one-day-marital house (although now it's supposedly was for a big wedding)....but neither is an issue any longer since BF is now ex-BF. Why does she need to keep living there? She lived on her own once before and she can do it again. She can find a roommate...she already has a car and household items. How old is she?

The saving of money was for both things, her wedding and a down payment on a house. And she did not live together on her own, she lived with her BF and all of her friends live with their BFs or are married so I don't where she will find a room mate.

She is 24.

Last edited by Still_Crazy; 10/27/14 01:12 PM.
M
M
My DD is the bad guy in all of this not the BF, so how is throwing him out until he can himself together for a minute a destructive situation?

He can get himself together now.

Letting stay in your house is enabling him to choose not to get himself together.

That's how it's destructive.

M
M
The saving of money was for both things, her wedding and a down payment on a house. And she did not live together on her own, she lived with her BF and all of her friends live with their BFs or are married so I don't where she will find a room mate.

She is 24.

It doesn't matter if you don't know where she will find a room mate. She needs to solve that problem on her own. She's 24!

Maybe she can live with her new boyfriend.

markos #2825855 10/27/14 01:15 PM
M
M
But they are not doing it on their own - they are doing it on your dime.

Doesn't that drive you nuts?

I might have missed it, but did you answer this?

markos #2825856 10/27/14 01:15 PM
S
OP Offline
S
This all just took place less than a week ago, he thought everything was fine and she followed him to bed and said she was not happy and wanted to break up with him.

markos #2825857 10/27/14 01:17 PM
M
M
I guess I'm lost - what is the problem here, for you? You wanted this daughter and her boyfriend to live together in your home without being married, and that's what you've got.

Now she's got a new boyfriend.

None of this seems to bother you, so I'd just leave it alone. Or am I misreading?

Page 3 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 731 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation