Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 24 25
markos #2825858 10/27/14 01:17 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by markos
But they are not doing it on their own - they are doing it on your dime.

Doesn't that drive you nuts?

I might have missed it, but did you answer this?

I don't feel they were doing it on my dime and it doesn't, I would let my kids live with me forever. Not their BFs but my kids......

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by unwritten
Originally Posted by Still_Crazy
They took out the loan for the car TOGETHER and it is in both of their names as is everything else they have, their phone bill, the dog (they bought him). The BF has paid more for the car than my DD but he wants her to have the car not him and they only have 2 more payments.

If they took it out together, and paid for it together, and pay it off together, then it belongs to both of them equally. Since they are splitting up, that means one would have to buy the other one out from the car, or they would have to sell the car and split the money. Right?

DD getting the car is just another example of enabling her poor behavior, although this time her bf is enabling her. He needs to get a backbone here, and you need to encourage him to do so.

I tried that too but he will not take the car from her

M
M
My DD is the bad guy in all of this not the BF

How was she bad, here? What was wrong with her letting boyfriend and you pay for her expenses while she looked around for a better deal?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
But they are not doing it on their own - they are doing it on your dime.

Doesn't that drive you nuts?

I might have missed it, but did you answer this?

I don't feel they were doing it on my dime and it doesn't, I would let my kids live with me forever. Not their BFs but my kids......

Then you are part of the problem. Your kids will never grow up.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2825862 10/27/14 01:20 PM
P
P
The BEST thing you can do for your daughter is to get her out of your house so that she can grow up.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by black_raven
And as sad as this is raven you are correct about my DD but could you throw out your own kid?

Yes

x2

What is YOUR reason for keeping her there and enabling her poor behavior? You said the only reason you let them move in was because you [mistakenly] thought it would help them move toward marriage. Obviously, that did not pan out and that reasoning is no longer valid. So what is your reason now? The real reason, not all this stuff about how they work full time and pay their bills and you do not support them financially, yet somehow they can't afford to move out on their own think

I do not ever want my DD to live on her own, she has seizures during her sleep and has since she was 12, so she will not ever be alone at night either it scares her.

markos #2825864 10/27/14 01:23 PM
L
L
As our daughter neared adulthood, we discussed with her on many occasions the conditions under which she could continue to live at home:

1.) If she was going to a nearby college, she could live with us. We wouldn't expect rent, but we would expect her to be in school and working parttime to pay for her car insurance and little things. She also had to apply for scholarships.

2.) If she wasn't going to college but was working fulltime, she had to pay us rent. Now she didn't know that our plan was to set aside the rent money into a savings account for her future use, should she decide to attend college at a later date. If she lived under our roof, we expected her to continue to conform to a few rules that made living with another adult agreeable to us. For example, she couldn't bring boyfriends home to sleep overnight. She couldn't bring boyfriends home to sleep...period! She had to either be home at a reasonable hour or call us, because, after all, we still worried about her when she was home late.

She had her "issues" with us and certainly wasn't happy about some of our conditions, but it was our home and we figured that an adult living with parents is a privilege not a right. In the end, she lived at home while she attended school fulltime and worked fulltime and became engaged to a very nice young man. They married without having lived together first.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
U
U
like I said she is my DD and I love her more than life and would not let others talk about her but she is very very very selfish and does not think of others in most anything she does.
It is strange to me because I am not that way and neither of our other two children are that way but this one is and I am not sure if anything is going to bring her out of that.

One reason she is very very selfish is because she is surrounded by people who enable her to be.

I can tell you one thing that is not going to bring her out of that, continuing to enable her.

markos #2825866 10/27/14 01:25 PM
S
OP Offline
S

How was she bad, here? What was wrong with her letting boyfriend and you pay for her expenses while she looked around for a better deal?

Once again I do not pay for her expenses but the boyfriend did.....

B
B
S_C, she is 24 yrs old...not 14. I am not going to keep posting since it seems like you want to continue to make up excuses for DD. I know too many parents who do what you are doing (good intentions gone awry) and their kids are on their way to Loserville or are already losers...thanks in part to their parents enabling. My own parents were guilty of this with my younger brother until they finally kicked him out. Today, he looks back and is grateful my parents tossed him out.

DD is also displaying the traits of a thoughtless wayward. Ex-BF is lucky she broke up with him if he was too weak to do it himself. She can say she feels bad for ex-BF, but she doesn't feel bad enough to be decent and give him the car. She is lazy and selfish. Why you would have wanted her to marry ex-BF or anyone else is lost on me given her attitude. She would be a horrible wife.

Last edited by black_raven; 10/27/14 01:29 PM.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
U
U
And you love this bf and want them to stay together because he is the only person who will 'put up with her' which is another way of saying, you want them to stay together because he enables her and accepts her poor treatment. That is sad.

U
U
I agree with Black Raven, not really sure what you are looking for here?

Everyone knows you have the right intentions, but we are trying to point out to you how your very complaints and the reasons you have come here are happening in part because of YOUR contribution to the problem. You seem unwilling at this time to look in the mirror.

You can't fix your DD or her relationship, but you can stop enabling her behavior that you do not agree with, and can encourage her BF to do the same. You seem to be dead set against doing so though.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
As our daughter neared adulthood, we discussed with her on many occasions the conditions under which she could continue to live at home:

1.) If she was going to a nearby college, she could live with us. We wouldn't expect rent, but we would expect her to be in school and working parttime to pay for her car insurance and little things. She also had to apply for scholarships.

2.) If she wasn't going to college but was working fulltime, she had to pay us rent. Now she didn't know that our plan was to set aside the rent money into a savings account for her future use, should she decide to attend college at a later date. If she lived under our roof, we expected her to continue to conform to a few rules that made living with another adult agreeable to us. For example, she couldn't bring boyfriends home to sleep overnight. She couldn't bring boyfriends home to sleep...period! She had to either be home at a reasonable hour or call us, because, after all, we still worried about her when she was home late.

She had her "issues" with us and certainly wasn't happy about some of our conditions, but it was our home and we figured that an adult living with parents is a privilege not a right. In the end, she lived at home while she attended school fulltime and worked fulltime and became engaged to a very nice young man. They married without having lived together first.

This too was my conditions for my children as they neared adulthood.

What my DD did however was to not go to school and work fulltime (then) and to call me to let me know she would not be home so I did not worry and then she met her BF and they dated and she was not allowed to have him spend the night at my house and after a little while they got an apartment together and then they moved from the apartment to a double and they have lived together for three years, then in April of this year when their lease was up is when I let them move in with me, I have not charged them rent just part of the utilities and groceries so I have no savings for her.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by black_raven
S_C, she is 24 yrs old...not 14. I am not going to keep posting since it seems like you want to continue to make up excuses for DD. I know too many parents who do what you are doing (good intentions gone awry) and their kids are on their way to Loserville or are already losers...thanks in part to their parents enabling. My own parents were guilty of this with my younger brother until they finally kicked him out. Today, he looks back and is grateful my parents tossed him out.

DD is also displaying the traits of a thoughtless wayward. Ex-BF is lucky she broke up with him if he was too weak to do it himself. She can say she feels bad for ex-BF, but she doesn't feel bad enough to be decent and give him the car. She is lazy and selfish. Why you would have wanted her to marry ex-BF or anyone else is lost on me given her attitude. She would be a horrible wife.

Yes she would be a horrible wife and maybe that is what I cannot take, that my own DD is such a horrible person

S
OP Offline
S
I agree with Black Raven, not really sure what you are looking for here?

Everyone knows you have the right intentions, but we are trying to point out to you how your very complaints and the reasons you have come here are happening in part because of YOUR contribution to the problem. You seem unwilling at this time to look in the mirror.

You can't fix your DD or her relationship, but you can stop enabling her behavior that you do not agree with, and can encourage her BF to do the same. You seem to be dead set against doing so though.

I am not saying that it is not in part my fault, I know that I have enabled her and I also do not know how to let her grow up other than kicking her out and I can't do that.

I can make the BF leave but that does nothing for my selfish DD except enable her even more.

M
M

How is that bad?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
OP Offline
S
like I said she is my DD and I love her more than life and would not let others talk about her but she is very very very selfish and does not think of others in most anything she does.
It is strange to me because I am not that way and neither of our other two children are that way but this one is and I am not sure if anything is going to bring her out of that.

One reason she is very very selfish is because she is surrounded by people who enable her to be.

I can tell you one thing that is not going to bring her out of that, continuing to enable her.

As far as that goes most people just let her be mean to them and do not say anything to her, I am one of the only ones that will tell her when she is being selfish.

markos #2825875 10/27/14 01:46 PM
S
OP Offline
S

How is that bad?

What is bad is not giving the BF his fair share......

M
M

How is that bad?

What is bad is not giving the BF his fair share......

He seemed quite happy with the arrangement. He entered it willingly and enthusiastically. What's the problem?

markos #2825877 10/27/14 01:50 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I know what you are saying Markos but once again like I said it just makes me see even more what a selfish person my DD is and it is just sad sad sad.

Page 4 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 611 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation