Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 25 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 24 25
P
P
Originally Posted by Still_Crazy
She was already living with him regardless of my feelings.

And kind of not by my own choice but because my mother refused to let me date my H then BF we lived together before we got married and we have been married for almost 30 years.

Marriage is hard and requires work and most people are not willing to put in the work even though the rewards are awesome.

None of this changes the fact that the majority of people who live together before marriage are renters, and have a higher chance of unhappy marriages and divorce.

There are smokers that can smoke a pack a day and live well into their 90s. It doesn't change the fact that for most people, it is generally a very bad idea.

None of this changes the fact that by letting them shack up in your home, you condoned and help pay for their renter lifestyle (the very renter lifestyle that caused your daughter to find someone new).

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2826161 10/28/14 09:23 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Unfortunately yes I do and why all of this makes me crazy because I don't want to feel that way but I considered them married and I am finding it hard to talk to my DD right now and we have never had that problem

P
P
but I considered them married
But they weren't. So stop.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

U
U
What you considered them is irrelevant. They were not married. It is not an affair, of any kind. She has met a new guy who she is more attracted to, and has decided to end her relationship with old guy. Until she is married she is free to date whoever she wants to.

Sometimes our plans for our children do not pan out exactly how we thought they would.

Open your mind to learn how to be a better role model in teaching your DD's the 'buyer' mentality. That is really the only thing you can do.

Prisca #2826170 10/28/14 09:31 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Prisca
She was already living with him regardless of my feelings.

And kind of not by my own choice but because my mother refused to let me date my H then BF we lived together before we got married and we have been married for almost 30 years.

Marriage is hard and requires work and most people are not willing to put in the work even though the rewards are awesome.

None of this changes the fact that the majority of people who live together before marriage are renters, and have a higher chance of unhappy marriages and divorce.

There are smokers that can smoke a pack a day and live well into their 90s. It doesn't change the fact that for most people, it is generally a very bad idea.

None of this changes the fact that by letting them shack up in your home, you condoned and help pay for their renter lifestyle (the very renter lifestyle that caused your daughter to find someone new).

I think we determined quite a few pages ago that I made an error in judgement for allowing it in my home but none of that change the fact that she was already living with the BF for three years before they moved in here

Last edited by Still_Crazy; 10/28/14 09:35 PM.
P
P
My point: By letting them shack up in your home, you encouraged the renter relationship. As a renter, it is no surprise that your daughter moved on and found someone new. It was just a matter of time.

So stop being so upset with her. Start being upset with yourself. YOU encouraged this.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2826174 10/28/14 09:38 PM
U
U
Why do you keep bringing it back to the fact that she was already living with him?
That is also irrelevant. It is not a reason or excuse for why YOU chose to let them live together in your own house. If you are accepting your error in judgement, then own it and don't try to give it a reason for being understandable. It is not understandable, it was just the wrong decision. Move on and don't make it again.

Prisca #2826175 10/28/14 09:39 PM
S
OP Offline
S
They were already living together for three years

P
P
And you condoned it. You encouraged this.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

U
U
As far as your husband is concerned, I just want to throw this out there.

When I was in high school and college I also had a serious bf. His grandparents were friends with my grandparents, his parents friends with my parents. My senior year I asked if he could spend the night. My mother said NO WAY IN HXXL, but my dad was strangely OK with it. He loved this bf and thought it would be cool to chat at the breakfast table I guess.

Now as an adult with my own daughter, thinking back to his response makes me feel very uncared for by him. It is a father's job to look out for his daughter, and I do not feel he was looking out for me. I hope your husband knows the message this sends to his daughter, that he is willing to allow this. It says very blatantly that he doesn't care about her as a beautiful and cherished young lady. She may not see that message now, but some day she will.

M
M
She was already living with him regardless of my feelings. Marriage is hard and requires work and most people are not willing to put in the work even though the rewards are awesome.

That is a poor excuse for enabling your own daughter.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by unwritten
Why do you keep bringing it back to the fact that she was already living with him?
That is also irrelevant. It is not a reason or excuse for why YOU chose to let them live together in your own house. If you are accepting your error in judgement, then own it and don't try to give it a reason for being understandable. It is not understandable, it was just the wrong decision. Move on and don't make it again.

I have already owned up to that fact and will not make the same decision the next time, what I am saying is that even if they were not living with me they would be living together some where and this probably would have happened there too if it was going to happen and I would not have had anything to do with her renter behaviour I would still feel the same way.

That she is having an EA and if it goes any where with this new guy it will be hard for me to accept. A different guy would be fine but this guy I would always consider her.OM.

U
U
Merry go round music. I'm getting very dizzy. I need to get off the ride, sorry.

M
M
"Owning up" to a mistake is not demonstrated by concocting ridiculous excuses for your enabling.

If your child was shooting up heroin for 3 years, would you use that as an excuse to let her shoot up heroin in your own home? Would you say "she was going to do it anyway?" That is just an excuse for poor parenting.

And your daughter is not married so it is ridiculous to say she is having an "EA."

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
If you are going to be upset with anybody, it should be yourself for actively encouraging a lifestyle that would lead to this. Not your daughter. Yourself.

It is really high and mighty of you to sit there and look down your nose at her and call her a WW when you are the one that encouraged and condoned this lifestyle!

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
I guess we should be grateful your DD is not a serial killer with all the parental justifications and enabling we have seen here.

Exposure 101

Prisca #2826186 10/28/14 09:54 PM
P
P
That she is having an EA and if it goes any where with this new guy it will be hard for me to accept. A different guy would be fine but this guy I would always consider her.OM.
That is pretty low, and an insult to any man on here who has discovered his wife in an affair.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M

Well, she's not having an affair, but we have a solution for a situation where a parent is devastated by a child's affair: cut off contact.

Last edited by markos; 10/28/14 09:58 PM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
OP Offline
S
We do not want our children to live together we would prefer they were married, we are not however going to disown them or not speak to them if thatis the choice they make.

We did not condone her moving in with the BF but she moved in with the BF so if we wanted a relationship with our DD we had no choice but to accept it.

I then made a poor choice to allow them to live under my roof but it happened and can't be changed.

My issue is how horrible I feel for being so upset with my DD for having what I consider in my own head an EA.

P
P
You condoned her living with him by allowing her to do so in your home. You encouraged the renter relationship, and in so doing, you encouraged a relationship that was doomed to fail.

Stop acting like she's a wayward and start being upset with yourself for condoning this lifestyle. It is hypocritical to be upset with her when you encouraged her to live that way by allowing her to do so under your own roof. You have no standing to be upset with her.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Page 9 of 25 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation