Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25
markos #2826191 10/28/14 10:05 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Still_Crazy
That she is having an EA and if it goes any where with this new guy it will be hard for me to accept. A different guy would be fine but this guy I would always consider her.OM.

Well, she's not having an affair, but we have a solution for a situation where a parent is devastated by a child's affair: cut off contact.

I know that she is not but my heart doesn't and I don't like it. I have not told her that.

Prisca #2826192 10/28/14 10:06 PM
P
P
My issue is how horrible I feel for being so upset with my DD for having what I consider in my own head an EA.
Your daughter is not a wayward. It is not an EA, and repeating yourself is not going to make it so.

Stop considering it an EA. It's not.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
That she is having an EA and if it goes any where with this new guy it will be hard for me to accept. A different guy would be fine but this guy I would always consider her.OM.

Well, she's not having an affair, but we have a solution for a situation where a parent is devastated by a child's affair: cut off contact.

I know that she is not but my heart doesn't and I don't like it. I have not told her that.

Stop telling her that.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
We do not want our children to live together we would prefer they were married, we are not however going to disown them or not speak to them if thatis the choice they make.

No one suggested you disown your daughter. We only suggested you were in the wrong for enabling her to behave like an unpaid wh*re in your house. You are supposed to be the parent here, after all.

We did not condone her moving in with the BF but she moved in with the BF so if we wanted a relationship with our DD we had no choice but to accept it.

Yes you did condone it. You allowed her to shack up under your own roof.

I then made a poor choice to allow them to live under my roof but it happened and can't be changed.

Then why not leave it at that instead of making up ridiculous excuses for enabling your own daughter? Making all these excuses just makes you look like you are in denial and don't get it.

My issue is how horrible I feel for being so upset with my DD for having what I consider in my own head an EA.

It is not an "EA" though, so you can stop considering it. If I "consider" that I am the Queen of England, it does not mean it is true. It just means I am in denial of reality.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
[

He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But he who walks wisely will be delivered. Proverbs 28:26

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Prisca #2826196 10/28/14 10:14 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Prisca

Stop telling her that.

I said I have NOT told her that, I would not do that and I know what you all are saying about her not being married I just cannot wrap my head around all of this and I will miss her relationship with this BF and it was just so crappy

P
P
So, don't wrap your head around it.
Drop it. Move on.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
OP Offline
S
]

We did not condone it three years ago when they moved in together.

Prisca #2826201 10/28/14 10:27 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Drop it. Move on.

Right now I am having a problem with that and the entire reason I started this thread to begin with.

Last edited by Still_Crazy; 10/28/14 10:30 PM.
M
M
]

We did not condone it three years ago when they moved in together.

Yes you did. If you allow someone to do something in your home, you are condoning it by your actions.

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
She moved in with him 3 years ago and we did not want her to do I think that means we did not condone it at the time.

Then like I said 7 months ago I made a wrong decision and allowed it then so I did condone it 7 months ago but not 3 years ago when it originally happened.

M
M
She moved in with him 3 years ago and we did not want her to do I think that means we did not condone it at the time.

You condoned it by your actions when you allowed them to shack up under your own roof.

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Yes 7 months ago not 3 years ago

M
M
Yes 7 months ago not 3 years ago

YES. You condoned it by your own actions.

Exposure 101

P
P

Then like I said 7 months ago I made a wrong decision and allowed it then so I did condone it 7 months ago but not 3 years ago when it originally happened.

Stop splitting hairs.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
Drop it. Move on.

Right now I am having a problem with that and the entire reason I started this thread to begin with.

And the answer to your problem is to stop doing it.
Stop thinking about it. Stop trying to wrap your head around it. Stop.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2826222 10/29/14 05:02 AM
S
OP Offline
S
OMG I am not splitting hairs, I know I made a mistake by letting them live here and just because you say stop doesn't mean I can right at this moment.

It BOTHERS me regardless of it being my fault. Is it not allowed to bother me that my DD is acting in a way that I do not like?

Yes I know that it shouldn't but it does not change the fact that it does and I don't like it.

I still cannot talk to my daughter the way I did before she broke up with the BF. And if she dates this OS friend it will be hard for me to accept him even if it is wrong.

S
OP Offline
S
Man I have so much stuff going on at work and then this has made me feel so sad and like such a horrible mother that last week I started having panic attacks and had to go get medicine from my doctor.

So I have aready felt like a horrible mother and all of you pounding into my head that I am indeed a horrible mother and then last night my DS came to visit and told me that the BF and him had plans to go get an engagement ring for the BF to propose and so this morning I feel even worse.

I hope I can just let it go soon........

And I hope she doesn't keep making the same mistakes and come to regret this decision.

Last edited by Still_Crazy; 10/29/14 07:30 AM.
M
M
Let me see if I have gotten all of this straight:

You permitted your daughter with a long term live-in boyfriend to move into your home. Your daughter has since broken off with this BF and is starting a relationship with someone else. You considered her effectively married and thus justified your own action of allowing them to live under your roof. The fact that she is moving on to another guy is causing you to experience dissonance. It feels like an affair to you.

There are a couple of really obvious observations:

You do not understand your daughter. You assumed things about her that were most likely never true. She was never as committed to this guy as you thought. While her past fornication is wrong and you encouraged that by your actions, she is not presently doing anything wrong by moving on to another guy.

You need to address the real facts. Your attempts to spin things is making everybody dizzy, including yourself. Accept that you made a mistake and try to learn from your error. And, stop projecting yourself and your motivations onto your children. It isn't serving you well to do that.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
S
OP Offline
S
He and my DS were going to go next weekend (the BF works most weekends and my DS works during the week but the BF had a weekend day off next week) and he was going to put the down payment on the ring and as soon as he paid it off then propose I guess at least he saved his money.....

Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 731 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation