Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 25 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 24 25
M
M
Originally Posted by Still_Crazy
Originally Posted by markos
She should be selfish in your opinion. That is the craziest thing I have ever heard in my life.

The whole problem is that "selfish" is just a disrespectful label. You believe that sometimes people should sacrifice - do something that they do not feel is in their own best interest. When they aren't willing to do that, you call them "selfish."

This belief of yours is leading to conflict and resentment, and I hope that everybody reading along can see that, and I hope that some day you understand that people should not sacrifice and should act in a way that takes care of themselves and should not apply disrespectful labels to others like "selfish." I am glad that your daughter seems to be ignoring your view on this, because it would lead to sorrow for her as well. If she were posting here, I would advise her to avoid discussing any issues with you as long as you think of her this way.

The problem is you have a faulty value system where people should sacrifice. You DON'T really want what's best for people when you want them to sacrifice.

That is not true my DD is not a nice person, you do not know her and I am not exaggerating when I tell you that many many many people have told me that including my own family members.

But that's not a problem of being selfish. That's a problem of wanting to get your way at the expense of other people. The problem is not that she is thinking of herself - the problem is that she needs to think about other people as well. "Selfish" is a disrespectful label, and using it even when you are just talking about it to us makes this problem worse.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2828006 11/11/14 03:27 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I guess I can't see the forest for the trees, she lived on her own and it changed nothing.

She handled everything about going to college and getting her own place (two different places), she bought her own car. I was not involved in any of these things.

Me and my kids are close, we talk all the time about everything. And I guess i just do not understand how making her live on her own is going to better prepare her to have a relationship and not be so self centered.

Heck my DH is 57 years old and he is still self centered to a degree (where she learned it I guess), I do not want that for my child and I have gotten through to her on many things.

I just do not know how to say without hurting her the reason your exBF didn't marry you and this other guy doesn't like you is that you are a self centered b#%$*.

I can't and won't do that, there has to be something that I can tell her or send her to read or something that will make her look at herself.

Your daughter and your husband are not selfish. They do what they feel is in their own best interest, and you are being disrespectful when you engage in name-calling like labeling their behavior "selfish."

None of these problems can get better as long as you reserve the right to be disrespectful like this.

There is nothing wrong with a person acting in their own self-interest. What is wrong is when you are willing to take what you want at the expense of other people. This is what happens when a person listens to their Giver and tries to ignore their Taker as you tend to do - they don't act to prevent the other person from getting what they want in a way that is hurtful. Then they resent the other person for doing it.

The solution is to not let people do things that you are not enthusiastic about. Unfortunately you are committed to the damaging practice of sacrifice, and the result is your own mounting resentment.

I looked at your posting history and people here have been trying to get through to you for years about how damaging sacrifice is, but you have always proudly defended your belief in sacrifice. I guess it gives you something to feel proud about and perhaps makes you feel like you are better than your husband and daughter. Since we haven't been able to persuade you, I hope that anyone reading along will see how your belief in sacrifice has led to this situation that is making you so resentful, and will learn to avoid it.

I think that you do not know my DD or my DH, they both What is wrong is when you are willing to take what you want at the expense of other people. do this so that in my opinion is selfish

M
M
She will come in and just turn the TV and my eldest DD is not "brave" enough to say anything, instead she will cry and go upstairs.

Your eldest daughter is listening to her Giver, and not her Taker. Your eldest daughter needs to be MORE selfish - she needs to think more about what is in her own best interest and bringing her interest into play with her sister. But you have probably taught her that it is wrong to do that by labeling that "selfish."

She should be selfish! She just shouldn't try to get her way at the expense of other people.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2828009 11/11/14 03:28 PM
S
OP Offline
S
She should be selfish in your opinion. That is the craziest thing I have ever heard in my life.

The whole problem is that "selfish" is just a disrespectful label. You believe that sometimes people should sacrifice - do something that they do not feel is in their own best interest. When they aren't willing to do that, you call them "selfish."

This belief of yours is leading to conflict and resentment, and I hope that everybody reading along can see that, and I hope that some day you understand that people should not sacrifice and should act in a way that takes care of themselves and should not apply disrespectful labels to others like "selfish." I am glad that your daughter seems to be ignoring your view on this, because it would lead to sorrow for her as well. If she were posting here, I would advise her to avoid discussing any issues with you as long as you think of her this way.

The problem is you have a faulty value system where people should sacrifice. You DON'T really want what's best for people when you want them to sacrifice.

That is not true my DD is not a nice person, you do not know her and I am not exaggerating when I tell you that many many many people have told me that including my own family members.

But that's not a problem of being selfish. That's a problem of wanting to get your way at the expense of other people. The problem is not that she is thinking of herself - the problem is that she needs to think about other people as well. "Selfish" is a disrespectful label, and using it even when you are just talking about it to us makes this problem worse.

What is it then if it is not selfish or self centered......

markos #2828011 11/11/14 03:32 PM
S
OP Offline
S
She will come in and just turn the TV and my eldest DD is not "brave" enough to say anything, instead she will cry and go upstairs.

Your eldest daughter is listening to her Giver, and not her Taker. Your eldest daughter needs to be MORE selfish - she needs to think more about what is in her own best interest and bringing her interest into play with her sister. But you have probably taught her that it is wrong to do that by labeling that "selfish."

She should be selfish! She just shouldn't try to get her way at the expense of other people.

I have taught her no such thing, as I said I do not let my DD do that to me, my eldest DD is too sensitive and cries at the drop of a hat, I have tried to teach her to stand up for herself and not let her sister bother her or let others walk all over her like she tends to do. She is getting much better at it the older she gets with others but for whatever reason not with her sister.

A
A
Being an immature single childless 24 year old who is looking out for her best self-interest. Really. And if you aren't going to take any action, then it just sounds like an angry blog rant about how she does not conform to what you want her to be. If you want to talk about selfish quite frankly, I find this entire thread to be about how you want your child to live her life according to your beliefs.

M
M
[quote=Still_Crazy]She should be selfish! She just shouldn't try to get her way at the expense of other people.

I have taught her no such thing

Yes you have - that is what you teach people when you tell them it is wrong to be "selfish."

alis #2828016 11/11/14 03:37 PM
A
A
My mind boggles at how these children are my age (married with 2 kids) yet I feel like crying and interrupting a TV show is a dispute between two elementary children.

You want these kids to grow up then for goodness sake. For every millennial acting 12, you have a millennial parent wanting to keep them 12...

alis #2828017 11/11/14 03:37 PM
S
OP Offline
S
What do you suggest I do OTHER than throwing her out?

If that is my only recourse according to MB then I guess I am done because that is not something I am willing to do.....

M
M

What is it then if it is not selfish or self centered......

Doing things that hurt other people.

markos #2828019 11/11/14 03:40 PM
S
OP Offline
S
[quote=Still_Crazy]She should be selfish! She just shouldn't try to get her way at the expense of other people.

Yes you have - that is what you teach people when you tell them it is wrong to be "selfish."

We have different definitions of selfish. My youngest DD and my DH do this "to take what you want at the expense of other people" so in my opinjion that is being selfish, I do not know what else to call it other than that.

S
OP Offline
S
Is not doing things that hurt other people the same as being selfish?

I do not see the difference. There is obviously something I do not understand.

Last edited by Still_Crazy; 11/11/14 03:42 PM.
alis #2828022 11/11/14 03:44 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by alis
My mind boggles at how these children are my age (married with 2 kids) yet I feel like crying and interrupting a TV show is a dispute between two elementary children.

You want these kids to grow up then for goodness sake. For every millennial acting 12, you have a millennial parent wanting to keep them 12...

My kids have only been with me for less than a year and I would have the same worries about my youngest DD regardless of where she lived and be asking the same questions to try to help her see herself.

S
OP Offline
S
For the millionth time I am just concerned about my DD.

I do not want her to live my life, I do not want her to sacrifice, I do not want her to do what I think is best, I want her to date all the people in the world until she finds Mr Right, I want her to be the best she can be without me.

My problem is this DD happens to be for lack of anything to put myself I will take what someone else said an immature single childless 24 year old who is looking out for her best self-interest and I would like to be able to show her that is not a good thing without alienating her.

M
M

We have different definitions of selfish. My youngest DD and my DH do this "to take what you want at the expense of other people" so in my opinjion that is being selfish, I do not know what else to call it other than that.

But you have called your daughter selfish even for doing things that are not done to hurt other people, like when she broke up with her boyfriend. She has every right to break up with her boyfriend, but you came here posting about it because you felt it was selfish. You have "hurting people" and "doing what I feel is best for myself" both mixed up under the same label of "selfish."

M
M
For the millionth time I am just concerned about my DD.

And for the millionth time you are very disrespectful about your daughter, and that is the biggest problem here.

A
A
See, there lies the confusion. There is nothing wrong with self-interest as a young single childless woman.

If she had followed your beliefs, she would have suppressed her taker and married that live-in boyfriend, rather than rightly ending it.

M
M
My problem is this DD happens to be for lack of anything to put myself I will take what someone else said an immature single childless 24 year old who is looking out for her best self-interest and I would like to be able to show her that is not a good thing

But there is nothing wrong with that at all. There's nothing wrong with being single and childless; there's nothing wrong with breaking off one dating relationship to choose another. You want her to do differently, but that is your own selfishness speaking.

M
M
Is not doing things that hurt other people the same as being selfish?

I do not see the difference. There is obviously something I do not understand.

Calling someone "selfish" is name calling. It's disrespectful.

Saying "That hurt me" is not disrespectful.

markos #2828034 11/11/14 04:02 PM
S
OP Offline
S
My problem is this DD happens to be for lack of anything to put myself I will take what someone else said an immature single childless 24 year old who is looking out for her best self-interest and I would like to be able to show her that is not a good thing

But there is nothing wrong with that at all. There's nothing wrong with being single and childless; there's nothing wrong with breaking off one dating relationship to choose another. You want her to do differently, but that is your own selfishness speaking.

Oh my gosh I do not, I do not want her to do different, I am past that now, the day I came here I was upset about her breaking up with the BF because I MISTAKENLY thought they would get married.

I got over that after a few days and I was only upset here online not at home and I know that she made the right desicion after she talked to me and told me her reasoning.

Now let's move on to a new relationship ok. How will she ever be able to be in any kind of a relationship when her way is to "hurt others to get her way"?

Page 19 of 25 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 611 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation