Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25
I
I
Great. I am glad that the living situation is happier than I thought.

All's well then.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by indiegirl
That is incredibly and deeply sad.

Almost as sad as the decision to move in someone who she didn't want to marry, but who everyone felt was as well as she could do as no one else would put up with her?

Like I've said, I'm not opposed to an adult living with a parent in a situation where it works. It's just I don't get why you are so resolute on one which you say does not work.

Then why did you propose it and why do you sustain it?

I'm not sure how her behaviour can have been good since she was living with her boyfriend under her mother's roof. As plans go to encourage drama, it can't be beat.

Initially I thought you made a genuine mistake in mistaking their relationship for something that would turn into marriage.

But you are not letting go. You are intent on her fitting in with your ideals of where she should be in life and for you that's a serious relationship. Or behaviour which you think deserving of a serious relationship.

She's in her early twenties and has never left home for real. Of course she isn't ready! She will need to take a lot of knocks and date a lot of frogs before that. She's already discovered doormat men are woefully inadequate.

She's one step closer thanks to this break up.

You want her acting like an adult under her mother's roof (impossible) and ready for marriage.

She wants to make discoveries.

It's not your decision. Let it go.

Oh my goodness I am just done you are making HORRIBLE assumptions about me.

L
L
I hope you contact Dr. Harley, anonymously if you prefer, just to get his unbiased opinion on your situation.

LTL

S
OP Offline
S
I would like to make this post on my views about my children and being married.

My eldest DD is 27 and has cried to me about the fact that she is so ready to get married and have kids however she FORTUNATELY has not; since she has not found the right guy (until maybe this time) I am so happy that she has never just got married for the sake of being married.

My DS married his high school sweetheart 2 days after he turned 21 and bought a house and we just found out recently is expecting a child. I am so happy for him too because that is what he wanted to do. I think it is so young but he was ready and is doing wonderful.

My youngest DD had been planning a wedding with her exBF (even though he had not yet proposed they both talked about what they wanted for their wedding). She had watched wedding shows for the last two years so much so that we would say will you two get married already. She had picked out the type of ring she wanted, the type of dress she wanted, she wanted to do her bouquet in pretty flower broaches instead of regular flowers and had already bought them and had been messing around with them to see what kind of look she wanted on a bouquet thing that I bought for her. Two months or so before the other guy moved here she had given the exBF an ultimatum that if he had not proposed by their anniversary of next year (the same time they were supposed to move out of my house) that she was going to move on because she was tired of waiting to get married.

So now she is not getting married and as you all of pointed out and I agree that is not a bad thing and I am SO glad she chose to break it off if she thinks she has feelings for this other guy, as she said it is not fair to either her or the exBF. I still will miss the exBF he was a nice guy and him and my DD were together for 5 years.

I will meet other BFs (maybe this other guy, who knows, that I also like) and I will either like them or not (same as before the exBF), but regardless of my feelings I will not be the one who is in the relationship, she will, so it is her feelings that matter about the BF not mine.

M
M
SC, this would be a great opportunity to teach your daughter some life skills about marriage and shacking up. When she shacks up with anyone she is wrecking that relationship by establishing a month to month renters agreement. So even if it would have been a good match, it is wrecked by the practice of shacking up.

You could print up this article to show her: Living Together Before Marriage: Compatibility Test or Curse?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Mel, I will show it ot her or leave it lying around for her to see.

M
M
Originally Posted by Still_Crazy
Thanks Mel, I will show it ot her or leave it lying around for her to see.

I sat my son down and went over it with him when he decided to shack up with his fiance. [they shacked up for a few months before their wedding] I made sure he knew he knew I didn't approve and expected MUCH BETTER out of him.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
When are you emailing Dr. Harley?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
OP Offline
S
It�s common to approach relationships cautiously, asking �what�s in it for me?� before extending a helping hand. However, it�s far more rewarding not to wait until you�re certain of getting something out of a relationship before you�re willing to invest in it. When you serve on the front end, you unlock the benefits of reciprocity. Occasionally others will take advantage of your goodwill, but far more often people will respond to your support with grateful generosity.

L
L
It�s common to approach relationships cautiously, asking �what�s in it for me?� before extending a helping hand. However, it�s far more rewarding not to wait until you�re certain of getting something out of a relationship before you�re willing to invest in it. When you serve on the front end, you unlock the benefits of reciprocity. Occasionally others will take advantage of your goodwill, but far more often people will respond to your support with grateful generosity.

That may be Still_Crazy's philosophy but it is not Dr Harley's. His view (which I wholeheartedly share) is that we should look for people that meet our needs naturally and easily. You absolutely should wait until you are getting something out of a relationship before you invest in it.

Reciprocity is poison because it carries a payload of 'I sacrifice for you and then you will have to sacrifice for me'.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
M
M

My eldest DD is 27 and has cried to me about the fact that she is so ready to get married and have kids however she FORTUNATELY has not; since she has not found the right guy (until maybe this time) I am so happy that she has never just got married for the sake of being married.

I want to point out that no one will be the "right guy" if she ruins her relationships by shacking up. This relationship might have worked out if she didn't do that. That is what your DD needs to learn. As her parent, I hope you teach her that and give her some guidance in her life. Getting married to get married is not the goal, but shacking up for the sake of shacking up only prevents her from finding the right guy.

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

I want to point out that no one will be the "right guy" if she ruins her relationships by shacking up. This relationship might have worked out if she didn't do that. That is what your DD needs to learn. As her parent, I hope you teach her that and give her some guidance in her life. Getting married to get married is not the goal, but shacking up for the sake of shacking up only prevents her from finding the right guy.

This DD didn't shack up, it is the other DD who did.

M
M
[

This DD didn't shack up, it is the other DD who did.

Gotcha. Does this one know better?

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Yes I have stressed it to all of them but the youngest DD does as she pleases regardless of the consequences it seems.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by living_well
Reciprocity is poison because it carries a payload of 'I sacrifice for you and then you will have to sacrifice for me'.

I have never felt that way in my life.

B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
L

So why did you write this?

When you serve on the front end, you unlock the benefits of reciprocity. Occasionally others will take advantage of your goodwill, but far more often people will respond to your support with grateful generosity.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
S
OP Offline
S

I am not sure that I am, it took several pages to try to explain here.

S
OP Offline
S

So why did you write this?

When you serve on the front end, you unlock the benefits of reciprocity. Occasionally others will take advantage of your goodwill, but far more often people will respond to your support with grateful generosity.

First off I didn't write it, it is a quote.

And I disagree with your statement about Reciprocity is why I wrote it, I have never felt 'I sacrifice for you and then you will have to sacrifice for me'., I do not expect ANYTHING in return.

B
B

I am not sure that I am, it took several pages to try to explain here.
That's too bad that you won't even try to get the best advice out there.

I'm sure you can condense it and explain it to Dr. Harley, if you really wanted a plan to do something.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 731 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation