Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Originally Posted by wanthealing
What I'm stuck on is the reasoning of these therapists to keep an affair secret if it would cause more harm to tell. Duh, it's going to hurt the betrayed spouse no matter what! But does that condone secrets?

And many betrayed spouses argue that they wish they never were told. Does that mean it should be a personal preference whether to confess an affair based on each marriage or circumstance? If the affair was years ago, over with for years, and not a threat, what is the reasoning behind exposure if it is no longer an issue for the WS? Meaning, is there some other intrinsic value to confession if not to stop an existing affair? I'm just curious, since to me honesty in a marriage seems like enough reason to tell all, except I can't find biblical support for that.

If God has joined them together (Biblical), if they are no more two, but one (Biblical), how should it be possible that one of them has a secret that the other is not allowed to know?

What God has joined together, let not man put asunder.

I would consider withholding vital information like that equal to abandoning the marriage. I think some people have a different understanding of marriage than what I have. To me marriage is a permanent, exclusive relationship of extraordinary care, where two become one. If the other person isn't participating in that, they don't have a marriage; they have something else. Marriage does not mean a commitment to keeping a legal status of legally married - married means an actual relationship of extraordinary care. If one person checks out of that it's the same as if they just up and vanished; they just didn't bother to change the legal status.

Fortunately there are ways that this kind of situation can be turned around. If my spouse wasn't committed to extraordinary care, I'd do what I can to win them over to that first if possible.

Last edited by markos; 10/21/14 09:50 AM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2824911 10/21/14 10:53 AM
W
W
The verses are just what I was looking for, MelodyLane. Thanks!

And your explanation, markos, is what I felt but couldn't put into words. This helps. I've been in a debate with a few people who think my adherence to Dr. H's principles are extreme, and there are so many who feel it's best not to cause unnecessary harm by confession of past indiscretions, but I couldn't find words to explain why Dr. H makes more sense if you want a better marriage.

I hope I didn't thread-jack with this tangent. It seemed along the same vein... smile

Me: WW
BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

thissucks #2827966 11/11/14 01:35 PM
B
B
Mort Fertel, is that you?

Belle, Domestic Goddess
M
M
I was on the Better Business Bureau's website this afternoon and thought I'd search Mort and his marriage advice scam on there and this is what I discovered (source: http://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland...n-baltimore-md-90003694/customer-reviews )

Complaint Jan 19, 2015:
Product listed as 100% money back guarantee yet have been trying to get a refund for over a week and no one will answer my phone calls, or emails.
I purchased the Marriage Fitness audio program for $69.95 on 12/9/14 and downloaded the audio program. Then I noticed that the program appeared to be an expensive version of this man's book so I emailed on 12/12 and 12/18 the contact email address for questions and no response. Due to lack of customer service and because I didn't like the audio program (I would pause it and come back and it would start all over again) I asked for a refund on 12/19 asking for a refund, which the site states there is a 100% money back guarantee if within 30 days which I am. I never received a response. I called on 12/15 or 12/16 and left a voice mail and it appears someone did call me back but just said to call them back, when I did I got voice mail. I called multiple times that day and was never able to speak to anyone, only the voice mail and received no return phone calls. I left a couple more voice mails last week and received no call back. I called again on 12/21, 12/22 I called and left multiple messages to refund me and to call me back or respond to one of my emails and have heard nothing. I even stated I would blast them online for their poor service if they didn't call back by 12/23 and still no one called or emailed me back. I have called multiple times today (12/23) 3 times while writing this and twice before this morning (leaving two voice mails) and still no one calls me back. I want my money refunded. It is horrible to offer a service to help people and I had to save up to have this money to use and was disappointed in the product. When I bought I took comfort in the fact there was a guarantee and now I see the guarantee isn't true because no one will call or email me back! I want my money refunded. Order ID: XXXXXXXXX

Complaint 12-2-2014
There website offers a 30 day money back guarantee. A representative emailed me advice on use of product, when followed was told then no refund.
I signed up for the marriage program with three monthly payments of 159. One of the reasons I signed up for this program even though I was slightly skeptical was that the program offers a 30 day money back guarantee with no questions asked. This was advertised all over their website at the time and easily seen.

I started the program and while I liked what "**** ******" stated in his recordings. After ordering the program I contacted their administrative staff to ask about specific components, including a 5 minute phone counseling session with "****" and how soon I could schedule this phone appointment. I was specifically told I should wait until later in the program to schedule this.

My Question:

"Lastly, the package says it includes one 1 on1 session. How does this work
and how do I schedule this?"

The response I received:

"I also recommend that you not schedule your session immediately. Instead,
get into the program. Listen to the CDs. Go through the workbook. I think
you'll find that most of your questions will be answered in your materials.

Once you've identified a crucial question that's not answered in the
materials, schedule your "laser" session then."

I followed the instructions and advice of the representative and continued the course for a few more days.

I soon realized this program was not right for my spouse and I. My spouse is medically retired from the Air Force for PTSD, TBI and other reasons. I am currently a 2LT in the United States Army Reserves. His issues with his medical conditions were not coinciding with the work needed for this program to work. There was some violence, the police were called by me and we cannot work on the program at this time. In addition I was notified by the Army I am soon leaving for Korea for a short time. After careful consideration I decided that perhaps after he receives help for his issues and I return from Korea that perhaps we could try some form of counseling at that time.

Due to the personal issues and the fact that I am now being a single parent until I leave to our two toddlers, I felt it best I make use of the business's return program as the amount of money is significant. I contacted the company to ask them how to go about this.

They responded to go to the website and make sure I meet all of the requirements then to send an email requesting the refund. I went to the website and after searching for a while all I was seeing was the yellow sign that said Money Back Guarantee all over the site and where it stated "no questions asked". I emailed the representative back and requested a refund and told them I did not see any explicit details on the refund policy other than the 30.
Finally I was pointed to exactly where the policy was on their site.

I then received a response that I did not qualify and they then listed their policy on this email. In the email the full return policy was listed out and their were two requirements, one being the 30 days and the second that I had to have already used the 5 minute phone counseling session.

I wrote back and told the business that they specifically told me not to used this session until later in the course. I asked why they would tell me to not use this until later and then tell me that I had to have used it to receive the refund. I let them know this seemed fraudulent, misleading and manipulative.

I was very confused between the "full" policy being hard to find and having to ask for it and the representative specifically telling me not to use the phone session until later. Email exchanges between myself, ****, ***** and a ******* were made. I included the email to the business that stated I should not use the phone session until later. I was told that it did not matter what the representative told me and that I was not entitled to a refund. I believe I am after being told not to use the session

I am more than happy to forward all of these exchanges over email or send screen shots.

It appears MarriageMax refused to budge and wouldn't return this military wive's money. Apparently, it would be unfair to give her one and not give one to all the other evidently complaining dupes that mistakenly bought this product.

Complaint 9-29-2014
Product was refunded in brand new condition well before 30 days - no refund given and no communication given. Company sent box back after 30 days.
I purchased the product and less than 1 week after it arrived, I emailed the company to get instructions for the refund due to their 100% money back guarantee. I didn't hear for several days, and finally got an email that said...If you meet all the refund requirements, send it back to the following address. I had EMAILED for the refund requirements, which they did not answer. I did dig around on the website and discovered it needed to be shipped in brand new condition, at my expense, within 30 days. I immediately removed it from the box that it arrived in, repackaged with a note, sent at my expense priority mail and waited. I heard NOTHING. I emailed again to follow up. NOTHING. I knew it could take several business days, so I called September 10 to follow up. The lady informed me that they returned my package yesterday (day 30) with no refund. Why? Because I did not call in for a counseling session within 30 days. This is ludicrous. I never even opened the materials. Immediately emailed. Immediately mailed back. It sat in there office for almost 3 weeks and they refused to respond to any communication. This product cost me $400 up front, and they waited until day 30 to mail it back. I do not have the product OR any communication at this point. Because THEY waited to send my product back and only communicate by snail mail, I'm past my 30 days and can't get my $400 back. I did everything on my end, CHOSE not to participate in his counseling sessions, returned their product in brand new, re-sellable condition (which they totally acknowledge), and no one will get back with me OR give me my money back. I used NONE of their services. I used NONE of their product. Their website boasts a 100% money back guarantee. Which is TOTALLY false.

Somewhere hidden on their website is a disclaimer that you have to have a phone counseling session with the company first. That is NO WHERE in the emails I sent, NO WHERE in the packaging, etc. And I didn't even KNOW about a session because I immediately mailed it all back without opening! THAT was a requirement, so how in the world can something be in new condition, yet you went through it to get your counseling session information. Makes NO sense.

Thank you for helping me get my $400 back ASAP. I really appreciate it.

Desired Settlement
I only want my full refund of the product, and shipping expenses. $450.00 total

Business Response
Our refund policy is administered with integrity and consistency and cannot be altered for just one person. It would not be professional or ethical for the distribution of refunds to be a matter of judgment or opinion. Nor would it be fair to make exceptions.

Our refund policy is stated so clearly and publicly on the website so that there can be no misunderstanding or question about who is entitled to a refund and who is not.

Our refund policy states the following:

"Ordering is RISK FREE. In short, if you're not satisfied for any reason, just return the materials to me in resalable condition received anytime within 30 days of ordering, and as long as you've used me for your private 1-on-1 session (included with your registration) by then, I'll gladly refund your money. I can't be any fairer than that. No questions asked. But I know it won't happen because this program works and I'm going to be there for you every step of the way to make sure you succeed."

Mrs. ***** did not qualify for a refund because she did not complete the required laser session included with the program within 30 days of ordering. Mrs. ***** placed her order on 08/10/2014 and her materials were returned to us on 08/25/2014 at which point Mrs. ***** still had not scheduled her laser session.

When Mrs. ***** did not qualify for a refund, we returned her materials to her along with a letter of explanation. We have delivery confirmation to prove that the package was sent back to Mrs. *****.

Sometimes people ask why the "laser" session is required. One of the reasons is that the guarantee offered is NOT unconditional. In other words, the intention behind the guarantee is to offer a refund to people who give the program their all and within 30 days still feel it's not helping. If a person does not use the program to its fullest (especially if they don't use the private "laser" session with Mr. ******), then the program is not responsible.

In any event, the refund policy clearly states that if the user does not use their "laser" session, then they forfeit their right to a refund.

Regarding Mrs. *****'s claim that we did not respond to her calls, we respond to all calls and emails within 1-2 business days.

When Mrs. ***** placed her order, she agreed to the terms and conditions of the sale, including the refund policy. We are committed to upholding all the terms and conditions of the sale and we hope she'll live by them as well.

"Refund policy administered with integrity"....yeah, right. How about picking up the phone and calling the guy who mailed back your garbage book in it's original packaging OBVIOUSLY unaware he was required to have a 5 minute "laser" phone counseling session with the almighty Mort Fertel. Instead....you exercise "Fertel integrity" by waiting 15 days and THEN mailing the materials back to the guy. As Borat would say, "very nice, high five".

Complaint 9-2-2013
The company refused to issue a refund. All merchandise was returned unopened. Refused to take possession of container.

There are three main issues that I have with this operation. 1st, I was not able to speak to anyone at any of the contact # given, seconds after placing the order.(during business hours in their time zone). Secondly, their home page had a claim in all Capital letters stating 100% Money Back Guarantee. However even though, returned their merchandise to them in their original containers, unopened. They refused to refund my money. And finally, they actually withdrew a second payment from my account, even though I had not kept any of their products. I had to close my credit card account to keep them from withdrawing a third payment. Which they attempted to do because they sent an e-mail stating that their was a problem with my account.
Marriage Fitness Rip-Off
Yes there is a problem. The problem being that you have taken my money twice. I have returned your merchandise to you twice.. The first time it was returned unopened return to sender. The second the package was refused union delivery. Simply put you have my money. I DON'T want your product!!! Why won't you issue me a refund??
That is the only problem that we have. If you wish to reply with the news that you ar issuing me a refund please feel free to to email. If not, please SEND NO FURTHER COMMUNICATIONS

Ever so sincerely
Sent from my iPad

On Jul 11, 2013, at 7:17 AM, Marriage Fitness with **** ****** <**********@MarriageMax.com> wrote:

Hello ******** *******,

On 4/1/2013, you purchased 1 Marriage Fitness Home Flex: Lone Ranger (Payment Plan).

This order was due to be billed again on 5/31/2013. Unfortunately, when we attempted to bill the credit card on file (Mastercard XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-****) within your account, the transaction failed.

To ensure your service remains uninterrupted, please click on the link below to renew your service immediately:

https://www.mcssl.com/SecureAdmin/public/RecurringInfoUpdate.aspx?rid=328b4cXXXXXf4aaf349a9226e43ab85e&mid=DXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX**********

Or, update your personal profile and we will attempt to charge your credit card automatically again:

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Please contact us immediately if you have any questions regarding your order.

Marriage Fitness with **** ******

**********@MarriageMax.com
www.MortFertel.co

Desired Settlement
I simply want a refund for the two payments what were debited from my account. For merchandise that was returned to the company unopened.

Business' Initial Response
Our refund policy is administered with integrity and consistency and cannot be altered for just one person. It would not be professional or ethical for the distribution of refunds to be a matter of judgment or opinion. Nor would it be fair to make exceptions.
Our refund policy is stated so clearly and publicly on the website so that there can be no misunderstanding or question about who is entitled to a refund and who is not.
"Ordering is RISK FREE. In short, if you're not satisfied for any reason, just return the materials to me in resalable condition received anytime within 30 days of ordering, and as long as you've used me for your private 1-on-1 session (included with your registration) by then, I'll gladly refund your money. I can't be any fairer than that. No questions asked. But I know it won't happen because this program works and I'm going to be there for you every step of the way to make sure you succeed."

Mrs. ******* did not qualify for a refund because she did not complete the required laser session. Mrs. ******* scheduled the required laser session for Monday, April 29th and Mr. ****** reserved that time for her and was unable to schedule anyone else during that time. Mrs. ******* was a "No Show" and failed to utilize Mr. ****** for this session thereby forfeiting her right to a refund.

When Mrs. ******* did not qualify for a refund, we returned her materials to her along with a letter of explanation. We have delivery confirmation to prove that the package was sent back to Mrs. *******. She refused the package and returned it to sender. We are willing to send it to Mrs. ******* again if she would like.

Sometimes people ask why the "laser" session is required. One of the reasons is that the guarantee offered is NOT unconditional. In other words, the intention behind the guarantee is to offer a refund to people who give the program their all and within 30 days still feel it's not helping. If a person does not use the program to its fullest (especially if they don't use the private "laser" session with Mr. ******), then the program is not responsible.

In any event, the refund policy clearly states that if the user does not use their "laser" session, then they forfeit their right to a refund.

When Mrs. ******* registered for the program Mrs. ******* chose the convenient payment plan option which is for three monthly payments of $159. As Mrs. ******* is not eligible for a refund she is still responsible for those payments. We would be happy to set up an alternative payment plan for Mrs. ******* to break the last payment due into even smaller increments.

Regarding Mrs. *******'s claim that we did not respond to her calls, we respond to all calls and emails within 1-2 business days. We have email correspondence where Mrs. ******* requested information on how to obtain a refund and the procedures were sent via email immediately upon request.

When Mrs. ******* placed her order, Mrs. ******* agreed to the terms and conditions of the sale, including the refund policy. We are committed to upholding all the terms and conditions of the sale and we hope she'll live by them as well.

Complaint
After experiencing buyer's remorse moments after placing my order, I requested to have my order cancelled and got no response.
This company preys on consumers who in a time of desperation, when their life appears to be falling apart as their spouse is either leaving them or has just left, may turn to what appears to be a last-chance possibility of saving their marriage while browsing the Internet. I was in such a state myself, blindly seeking guidance and answers, when MarriageMax came up in the search engine. I briefly read through the advertising and purchased the audio CDs basically promise to make my marriage work out. Immediately after I purchased it, I regretted the decision and attempted to call the 2 different numbers I could find on the website to reach the company. I got answering services on both attempts and left detailed voicemails asking to please not process my order, and cancel it instead. I also sent 3 emails to the same effect to 3 email addresses I could find. I received a response 2 days later saying they couldn't cancel the order. Upon receipt of the package I refused shipment and sent the package back to the sender. I filed a dispute with my credit card company and received a rebuttal from MarriageMax which in part stated that they had RE-sent the materials to me, and that I was in possession of the package. This was complete fabrication on the part of the company as I never received any package from them beyond the initial one which I had returned to sender without opening! It astounds me that a company takes advantage of people in such a delicate, fragile and vulnerable state of mind (and heart) to push their product, knowing the refund policy is so rigid as to be nearly impossible to complete.

Desired Settlement
I request a refund for the 2 charges of $159 (total of $318). I don't have any of the materials as they were all returned without being opened upon receipt

Business Response
We understand the cardholder is claiming entitlement to a refund due to cancelled services. We do not offer "cancellations". Instead, we have a clearly and publicly stated refund policy instructing customers on how to return their materials.

Mrs. ***** did not qualify for a refund because she did not complete the required laser session.

When Mrs. ***** did not qualify for a refund, we returned her materials to her along with a letter of explanation. We have delivery confirmation to prove that the package was sent back to Mrs. *****.

Regarding Mrs. *****'s claim that we did not respond to her calls and emails, we respond to all calls and emails within 1-2 business days.

She placed her order on Saturday and we responded to her the next business day, on Monday.

When Mrs. ***** placed her order, she agreed to the terms and conditions of the sale, including the refund policy. We are committed to upholding all the terms and conditions of the sale and we hope she'll live by them as well.

Final Consumer Response
(The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)
Regardless of whether what kind of confirmation the company claims they have, I did not receive the material the 2nd time. There is simply nothing else to say on this matter. The company's statement that I could have completed the laser session without the material and still complied with their refund policy is irrelevant as I was expecting the refusal of the package to be sufficient and only discovered otherwise when the company billed my credit card for the second installment of $159 one month later.

Final Business Response
Thank you for the opportunity to respond again.

We would like to address Mrs. *****'s claim that we did not return her package to her. We have the delivery confirmation showing the package was delivered to her again on 05/30/13. Please let me know how I can upload this document.

Furthermore, Mrs. ***** claims that she was unable to complete the refund requirements as she had already sent the package back to us. The laser session can be completed after returning the materials.

The refund policy is clearly stated in several places on our website and order form so Mrs. ***** was aware of our policy before ordering.

We apologize that Mrs. ***** is upset but we are committed to upholding our policies with integrity and consistency.

Business Response
Dear ******,

It was nice speaking with you today. As per our conversation please see the attached documents. You will see that the client did in fact receive the materials however, she refused them upon arrival. Also, please see the attached refund letter stating the reason she did not qualify for a refund. If the client would like we are willing to send her another set of materials. Thank you for reviewing this case again!

Sincerely,

Assistant to **** ******

Consumer Response
(The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)
I need a refund, not a copy of the unwanted product.

- See more at: http://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland...ltimore-md-90003694/complaints#breakdown

R
R
Wow that's a lot of complaints. I remember signing up to his emails a long time ago and then realised what a big scam he was. Thank goodness I found MB.

Me: FWW/BW - 38 yrs
XH: FBH/WH - 41 yrs
Plan B
DS: 9yrs old (with H)
DD: 20yrs old
Divorced Dec 2014
WXH still living with POSOW

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
L
L
There are more complaints about the same issue listed on RipOff Reports also.

LTL

C
C
Originally Posted by rocksolid
Wow that's a lot of complaints. I remember signing up to his emails a long time ago and then realised what a big scam he was. Thank goodness I found MB.

Me, too, RockSolid. Unfortunately, his scammy/scummy methods caused me to be overly cautious when I got to MB forum. I didn't trust the advice of the vets (didn't even know they WERE vets) and missed out on killing the A dead, resulting in a FR.

I think we should be aware of that when advisng new posters. Stress MB's and Dr. H's proven success, long-time presence, and non-"sell-you-a-seminar" methods.

It disgusts me that highly traumatized BS's should be preyed upon my lowlifes like Fertel.

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.
I
I
There's no way that advice hasn't come from a still-active wayward.

It's right on script!

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF MARYLAND

MORT FERTEL :
:
v. : Civil No. CCB-13-2922
:
JAN DAVIDSON :
:

MEMORANDUM

Plaintiff Mort Fertel (�Fertel�) brings this defamation lawsuit against defendant Jan
Davidson (�Davidson�), claiming that her statements posted on the Internet have caused harm to
his reputation and business and resulted in mental anguish and humiliation. Davidson now
moves to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction. The issues in this case have been fully
briefed, and no hearing is necessary. See Local R. 105.6. For the reasons stated below, the
motion to dismiss will be granted.

BACKGROUND

Davidson, a resident of California since 1975, is a fifty-six-year-old mother of two
children and an artist by profession. (See Aff. of Davidson, ECF No. 6-2, at � 2.) She works
from her home in California. (Id.) Fertel is the owner of MarriageMax Inc. (�MarriageMax�), a
Maryland corporation that offers a step-by-step system for addressing marital problems. (Def.�s
Mot. to Dismiss, ECF No. 6-1, at 2; see also Print-out of [offensive link removed], ECF No. 6-3,
at 1.)
The �Marriage Fitness Tele-Boot Camp� program is the most popular MarriageMax
program and includes seven �[t]ele-[s]eminars� hosted by Fertel as well as a private �1-on-1� 2
phone session with him. (Print-out of [offensive link removed},
ECF No. 6-4, at 1.) It also offers a �100% Money-Back Guarantee.� (Print-out of
http://[offensive link removed] /marriage-tele-boot-camp.asp, ECF No. 6-5, at 9.) The return
policy provides that, if the consumer is not satisfied �for any reason,� she may return the
program, so long as it is in �resalable condition,� it is returned within thirty days of ordering, and
the consumer has had her �private 1-on-1 session [with Fertel].� (Id.)
Struggling in her marriage, Davidson sought marriage counseling programs and found
MarriageMax through a Google search conducted from her California home. (Aff. of Davidson
at � 3.) On May 28, 2013, she purchased the Tele-Boot Camp program through the
MarriageMax website, and the program arrived a few days later. (Def.�s Mot. to Dismiss at 3;
see also Aff. of Davidson at �� 3�4.) Despite being �put off� by Fertel�s voice, Davidson and
her husband attempted the program for the next three weeks. (Aff. of Davidson at � 4.) Because
�[t]he program instructs customers to get as far into the program as possible� before scheduling
the private phone session with Fertel, Davidson did not schedule the session during those three
weeks. (Id.) Finally, Davidson and her husband decided not to continue the program. (Id. at �
5.)
On June 20, 2013, during regular business hours, Davidson called MarriageMax customer
service to gather information about returning the product for a refund. (Id.) When no one
answered the phone, she left a voicemail. (Id.) Davidson called again the next day when she did
not hear back from MarriageMax, but she was still unable to reach anyone. (Id.) On June 25,
2013, she spoke with a customer service representative, who provided her with a link to
MarriageMax�s return policy. (Id. at � 6.) Davidson then realized that she needed to schedule
the phone session with Fertel and, accordingly, she emailed customer service to inquire about 3
how to schedule the session. (Id.) On June 26, 2013, customer service emailed Davidson an
online link to make the appointment with Fertel. (Id. at � 7.) Davidson visited the link that day,
and learned that the next available date for a session with Fertel was July 29, 2013. (Id.)
Because this date was over a month away, she called and emailed customer service to ask for an
extension of the return policy. (Id.) Customer service informed Davidson that she could not get
a refund without the session with Fertel, and that only Fertel�s assistants had authority to grant an
exception to the return policy. (Id.) On July 27, 2013, Fertel�s assistant verified that Davidson
was not eligible for a refund, writing in an email that she had not met the requirements for
returning the program. (Id. at � 8.) Davidson again called and emailed customer service, but
was unsuccessful in getting an exception to MarriageMax�s return policy. (Id. at � 9.) She
attempted to mail the program to MarriageMax on July 8, 2013, but, a few weeks later,
MarriageMax sent the program back to Davidson without providing a refund. (Id.)
Following her communications with MarriageMax, Davidson wrote about her
experiences on the websites TrustPilot and Ripoffreport.com, which have a national and global
audience, respectively. (See id. at � 10.) On July 21, 2013, Davidson posted a review of
MarriageMax�entitled �Company�s Requirements for 100% Money Back Guarantee were
Impossible to Meet!��on TrustPilot. (Def.�s Mot. to Dismiss at 5; see also Aff. of Davidson at
� 10.) The same day, she wrote a similar review on Ripoffreport.com, that one entitled �Mort
Fertel Marriage Fitness, Marriage Max, Mort Fertel.com FRADULENT [sic] MONEYBACK
GUARANTEE � DON�T BE FOOLED!� (Def.�s Mot. to Dismiss at 6; see also Aff. of
Davidson at � 10.) The header section of the post included MarriageMax�s Maryland address
and also listed the location of MarriageMax as �Baltimore MA.� (Def.�s Mot. to Dismiss at 7.)1

������������������������������������������������������������
Davidson admits this was a typographical error. (Def.�s Mot. to Dismiss at 7.) 4
Davidson also posted on Ripoffreport.com on July 21, 2013; the post was entitled �REFUND
TERMS ARE NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO MEET.� (Id.) On August 7, 2013, Davidson wrote
another review on Ripoffreport.com, �Mortel Fertel Marriage Max Deceptive Return Policy �
Terms are Impossible to Meet � Don�t Buy Unless You Can Afford Ton [sic] Lose $400.� (Id. at
8.) In the heading of the post, the location of MarriageMax was listed as �Baltimore Maryland.�
(Id.)
According to Fertel, Ripoffreport.com allows a listing of �Internet� for the location of a
business. Thus, Davidson did not need to name the state where MarriageMax is located. (See
Pl.�s Resp., ECF No. 7, at 2; see also Print-out of www.ripoffreport.com/FileReport.aspx, ECF
No. 12.) Ripoffreport.com allows visitors of the website to conduct searches by city, state, zip
code, or company name. (Pl.�s Resp. at 8.) Because MarriageMax�s location was listed as
Baltimore, Maryland, searches by �Baltimore� or �Maryland� presumably would include
Davidson�s reviews of MarriageMax. (See id.)

STANDARD

Pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 12(b)(2), a challenge to personal jurisdiction
�is to be resolved by the judge, with the burden on the plaintiff ultimately to prove grounds for
jurisdiction by a preponderance of the evidence.� Carefirst of Md., Inc. v. Carefirst Pregnancy
Ctrs., Inc., 334 F.3d 390, 396 (4th Cir. 2003). When the court resolves a motion to dismiss
based on lack of jurisdiction without an evidentiary hearing, however, �the plaintiff need only
Fertel states that Davidson �recounts that on each of her defamatory postings, she deliberately
listed the location of Plaintiff�s business as Maryland (but for one post in which she made a
typographical error and wrote Baltimore, MA).� (Pl.�s Resp., ECF No. 7, at 2.) Davidson�s
account of her posts, however, suggests that only two of them referenced Maryland. It therefore
appears that Fertel has misread Davidson�s papers. Nevertheless, even assuming that all the
posts listed MarriageMax�s location as in Baltimore, Maryland, the below analysis remains
unchanged. 5
make a prima facie showing of personal jurisdiction.� Id. (citing Combs v. Bakker, 886 F.2d
673, 676 (4th Cir. 1989)). �[T]he court must construe all relevant pleading allegations in the
light most favorable to the plaintiff, assume credibility, and draw the most favorable inferences
for the existence of jurisdiction.� Mylan Labs., Inc. v. Akzo, N.V., 2 F.3d 56, 62 (4th Cir. 1993)
(quoting Combs, 886 F.2d at 676).3

A federal court sitting in diversity may exercise personal jurisdiction over a nonresident
defendant �if (1) an applicable state long-arm statute confers jurisdiction and (2) the assertion of
that jurisdiction is consistent with constitutional due process.� Nichols v. G.D. Searle & Co.,
991 F.2d 1195, 1199 (4th Cir. 1993). Maryland�s long-arm statute is coextensive with the scope
of jurisdiction permitted by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment; therefore, the
statutory and constitutional inquiries merge. See Carefirst, 334 F.3d at 396�97.4
A court�s
exercise of jurisdiction over a nonresident defendant comports with due process if the defendant
has �minimum contacts� with the forum, such that requiring the defendant to defend her interests
in that state �does not offend traditional notions of fair play and substantial justice.� Int�l Shoe
Co. v. Washington, 326 U.S. 310, 316 (1945) (internal quotation marks omitted). �The minimum
contacts test requires the plaintiff to show that the defendant �purposefully directed his activities
at the residents of the forum� and that the plaintiff�s cause of action �arise[s] out of� those
In ruling on a Rule 12(b)(2) motion, the court may also consider evidence outside the
pleadings. Structural Preservation Sys., LLC v. Andrews, 931 F. Supp. 2d 667, 671 (D. Md.
2013) (citations omitted); see also Adams v. Bain, 697 F.2d 1213, 1219 (4th Cir. 1982)
(suggesting that the court may consider evidence outside the pleadings when determining its
jurisdiction).
Although the statutory and constitutional inquiries merge, the court still must consider whether
the defendant�s activities are covered by the long-arm statute. See Dring v. Sullivan, 423 F.
Supp. 2d 540, 545 (D. Md. 2006). Here, Fertel does not identify the relevant Maryland statute,
Md. Code Ann., Cts. & Jud. Proc. � 6-103, but rather relies on the �effects� test set forth in
Calder v. Jones, 465 U.S. 783 (1984). 6
activities.� Consulting Eng�rs Corp. v. Geometric Ltd., 561 F.3d 273, 277 (4th Cir. 2009)
(quoting Burger King Corp. v. Rudzewicz, 471 U.S. 462, 472 (1985)).
The Fourth Circuit has outlined a three-pronged test for determining whether the exercise
of specific jurisdiction comports with due process.5
Under this test, courts must consider �(1) the
extent to which the defendant has purposefully availed itself of the privilege of conducting
activities in the state; (2) whether the plaintiffs� claims arise out of those activities directed at the
state; and (3) whether the exercise of personal jurisdiction would be constitutionally
�reasonable.�� Carefirst, 334 F.3d at 397.

ANALYSIS

Fertel argues that Davidson�s posts to TrustPilot and Ripoffreport.com constitute
defamatory statements �willfully target[ed] . . . at a Maryland business . . . with the specific
intent to harm that business,� such that they give rise to specific jurisdiction. The court may put
aside Davidson�s other few contacts with Maryland�namely, her act of purchasing the TeleBoot
Camp program from a Maryland company, her various phone and email communications
with MarriageMax employees, and her attempt to send the program back to MarriageMax�
because Fertel does not rely on them in arguing personal jurisdiction. (See, e.g., Pl.�s Resp. at 7
(stating that Davidson�s contacts with Maryland were her online posts listing Maryland as
MarriageMax�s location).)
In cases where the defendant�s contacts with the forum state are the basis for the lawsuit, those
contacts may establish specific jurisdiction. See ALS Scan, Inc. v. Digital Serv. Consultants,
Inc., 293 F.3d 707, 712 (4th Cir. 2002). By contrast, if the defendant�s contacts are not the basis
for the lawsuit, then the defendant�s continuous and systematic, but unrelated, contacts with the
forum state may establish general jurisdiction. See id. Fertel concedes that Davidson is not
subject to general jurisdiction in Maryland. Accordingly, the court need only address whether
Davidson is subject to specific jurisdiction. 7
As a preliminary matter, the court notes that whether exercising personal jurisdiction over
a nonresident defendant comports with due process is a federal question. See Catalana v.
Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc., 618 F. Supp. 18, 20 (D. Md. 1984), aff�d, 806 F.2d 257 (4th Cir.
1986) (unpublished opinion); see also Carefirst, 334 F.3d at 397�98 (applying federal law to
determine whether the exercise of personal jurisdiction satisfies due process). Fertel criticizes
Davidson for not citing MaryCLE, LLC v. First Choice Internet, Inc., 166 Md. App. 481, 890
A.2d 818 (2006), but MaryCLE is a state court opinion and not analogous to the present case.
Indeed, Fertel does not explain how MaryCLE is similar to this case, other than the observation
that both cases involve the Internet. (See Pl.�s Resp. at 3�4.) MaryCLE involved an out-of-state
marketing company that sent email messages directly to Maryland residents, unlike Davidson�s
web postings. See 166 Md. App. at 489�92, 890 A.2d at 823�24. The court in MaryCLE
decided that sending email messages to Maryland residents amounted to �purposeful[]
avail[ment] . . . of the privilege of conducting business in Maryland��a basis for personal
jurisdiction that is not alleged in the present case. See id. at 505, 890 A.2d at 832 (internal
quotation marks omitted). MaryCLE, in short, does not control the court�s determination of
whether Davidson�s Internet posts may lead to personal jurisdiction in Maryland.
Turning to the standard for whether Internet activity may lead to personal jurisdiction
over an out-of-state defendant, the Fourth Circuit has explained that the mere act �of placing
information on the Internet is not sufficient by itself to subject[] that person to personal
jurisdiction in each State in which the information is accessed.� Carefirst, 334 F.3d at 399
(citation and internal quotation marks omitted). Rather, the court may exercise personal
jurisdiction over an out-of-state individual when she �(1) directs electronic activity into the
[forum] State, (2) with the manifested intent of engaging in business or other interactions within 8
the State, and (3) that activity creates, in a person within the State, a potential cause of action
cognizable in the State�s courts.� ALS Scan, Inc. v. Digital Serv. Consultants, Inc., 293 F.3d 707,
714 (4th Cir. 2002).
Interpreting prongs (1) and (2) of the above test, the Fourth Circuit in Young v. New
Haven Advocate, 315 F.3d 256 (4th Cir. 2002), considered whether there is personal jurisdiction
over Connecticut defendants based on the following: �(1) the [defendants], knowing that [the
plaintiff, the warden of a Virginia prison,] was a Virginia resident, intentionally discussed and
defamed him in their [newspaper] articles, (2) the newspapers posted the articles on their
websites, which were accessible in Virginia, and (3) the primary effects of the defamatory
statements on [the plaintiff�s] reputation were felt in Virginia.� Id. at 261�62. The court
reasoned that, to be subject to personal jurisdiction in Virginia, the out-of-state defendants had to
�through the Internet postings, manifest an intent to target and focus on Virginia readers.� Id. at
263. In determining whether there was such a focus on Virginia readers, the court examined the
�general thrust and content� of the newspapers� websites as well as the specific articles at issue.
Id. The court concluded that the newspapers� websites were designed to serve local interests,
including �provid[ing] their local markets with a place for classified ads.� Id. Likewise,
although the newspaper articles named the plaintiff and discussed the �allegedly harsh conditions
at the [Virginia] prison,� they were not targeted at a Virginia audience. Id. at 263�64. Rather,
the court concluded, the newspaper articles targeted a Connecticut audience because they
focused on the Connecticut prisoner transfer policy that brought Connecticut prisoners to
Virginia prisons. Id. at 259, 263�64.
Applying Young, there is nothing in Davidson�s Internet posts to suggest that they were
meant for a Maryland audience, as opposed to a national or even a global audience, and thus, her 9
conduct fails prongs (1) and (2). To begin, the TrustPilot and Ripoffreport.com posts are
available not just in Maryland, but nationally and globally, respectively. That they may be
accessed in Maryland is not enough for personal jurisdiction. See Carefirst, 334 F.3d at 399.
Furthermore, the subject matter of Davidson�s posts was not focused on Maryland; rather, the
only mention of Maryland came from including MarriageMax�s address and listing the location
of MarriageMax as Baltimore, Maryland. But simply listing MarriageMax�s address and
referring to Baltimore, Maryland as the location of MarriageMax is not equivalent to targeting a
Maryland audience. Although MarriageMax is based out of Maryland, it does not sell products
only to individuals in Maryland; indeed, the MarriageMax website indicates that the Tele-Boot
Camp program has been featured in various television broadcasts and national publications,
suggesting that the company has a national customer base. (See Print-out of
http://www.[offensive link removed] marriage-tele-boot-camp.asp at 1.) While Davidson�s posts
indicate a desire to share information with potential MarriageMax customers, it is pure
speculation that she was attempting to direct this information to potential MarriageMax
customers located in Maryland. If anything, Davidson�s apparent frustration with
MarriageMax�s return policy suggests a desire to communicate with as many potential customers
as possible, and not just the company�s potential customer base in Maryland. Because
Davidson�s posts were not directed at Maryland, they cannot form the basis for personal
jurisdiction.
Fertel appears to argue that, because visitors to Ripoffreport.com may conduct searches
by city or state and find Davidson�s posts, Davidson intended to target a Maryland audience.
This argument cannot stand. Examining the �File a Report� page of Ripoffreport.com�which is
where Fertel suggests that Davidson listed MarriageMax�s location, (see Pl.�s Resp. at 2)�it 10
seems that the page is meant to identify the company or individual being reported. (See Print-out
of www.ripoffreport.com/FileReport.aspx.) The page requests the name of the company or
individual being reported, along with the address (either the physical street address or web
address) for the company or individual. (See id.) It does not give any indication that, by
entering this information, the consumer�s subsequent posts will be limited to a particular
geographical audience or will be in any way highlighted for certain visitors of the website. In
fact, as indicated above, reports on Ripoffreport.com are available globally. Based on these
facts, the court cannot infer that, by entering MarriageMax�s name and location, Davidson had
the manifest intent to reach a Maryland audience. Rather, by entering this information, Davidson
likely intended to identify the company against which she had a grievance.
Finally, Fertel attempts to liken this case to Calder v. Jones, 465 U.S. 783 (1984), by
arguing that Davidson knew he was located in Maryland and, therefore, she was aware that any
harm would be felt in Maryland. But Calder did not just involve out-of-state defendants who
were aware that harm might be felt in the forum state of California. Rather, the defendants
engaged in �intentional, and allegedly tortious, actions . . . expressly aimed at California,� and as
a result, they could foresee harm being felt in that state. See 465 U.S. at 789�90 (emphasis
added). In particular, the defendants in Calder published an article regarding �the California
activities of a California resident,� that was �drawn from California sources� and �impugned the
professionalism of an entertainer whose television career was centered in California.� Id. at
788�89. Perhaps most notable, the article was published in a national weekly newspaper that
drew a large portion of its readership from California; of its total circulation of over 5 million,
�[a]bout 600,000 of those copies, almost twice the level of the next highest State [we]re sold in
California.� Id. at 785. As explained above, missing in the present case is conduct expressly 11
aimed at Maryland. Davidson�s posts instead would appeal to a national, or even global,
audience. Unlike in Calder, there is nothing to suggest that TrustPilot and Ripoffreport.com
draw a significant portion of their readership from Maryland. Moreover, whereas Calder
involved multiple connections to the forum state of California, the only Maryland connections in
this case are that (1) Fertel and MarriageMax happen to be located there and (2) Davidson
identifies this fact in her Internet posts. Thus, in light of the fact that her posts were not aimed at
a Maryland audience, it is not enough to say that Davidson could foresee harm to Fertel in
Maryland. Davidson did not expressly aim her electronic activity at Maryland.

CONCLUSION

For the reasons stated above, the court will grant Davidson�s motion to dismiss for lack
of personal jurisdiction. A separate order follows.
December 18, 2013 /s/
Date Catherine C. Blake
United States District Judge IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF MARYLAND

MORT FERTEL :
::
v. : Civil No. CCB-13-2922
:

JAN DAVIDSON :
:
:

ORDER
For the reasons stated in the accompanying Memorandum, it is hereby ORDERED that:
1. Defendant Jan Davidson�s motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction (ECF No. 6)
is Granted;
2. This case is Dismissed;
3. The Clerk shall CLOSE this case; and
4. The Clerk shall send copies of this Order and the accompanying Memorandum to counsel
of record.
December 18, 2013 /s/
Date Catherine C. Blake
United States District Judge

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mature), 1,168 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation