Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 43 of 66 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 65 66
B
B
Since you are a SAHM, he can be ordered to pay the mortgage and other household bills. That is usually considered maintaining marital property while D is in progress. That would be in addition to child and spousal support. You should ask for the max. Don't feel bad for him or guilty. If he has to sleep on someone's couch...oh well. He made his bed.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
jw, you all may not be aware that your H believes that withholding financial support is the key to punishing you and getting you back in control. Your IM has an email that stipulates how he has purposely withheld money to teach you a lesson.

Currently, you are at his mercy and it is only a matter of time before he cuts you off entirely. You CANNOT depend on a wayward to be honorable. You need to file for divorce and get legal protection. He will continue to play these games until you do something else that annoys him and then he will cut you off entirely.

Thanks ml. I didn't think about changing the money as a means if controlling me, but it is. It's all he's got since I'm not talking to him. I am worried that filing will get me less than I am getting now, but you're right about him getting annoyed and taking it out on me through withholding money. This is all so mind-boggling. I keep forgetting that this isn't my husband, it's an alien.

Me BW
Married 18 years before D-day
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
D-day - 10/14/14 Plan B - 11/30/14
P
P
This happened to me. Once I moved, my WH stopped paying anything for DD. It is fine for now since I am living with my dad and getting unemployment, but when I can file for D (I have had to wait because there is a waiting period when moving counties), but I will file for CS right away. It is highly likely he will stop paying for things eventually.

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
M
M
Originally Posted by jkwpurple
[
Thanks ml. I didn't think about changing the money as a means if controlling me, but it is. It's all he's got since I'm not talking to him. I am worried that filing will get me less than I am getting now, but you're right about him getting annoyed and taking it out on me through withholding money. This is all so mind-boggling. I keep forgetting that this isn't my husband, it's an alien.

I believe the choice is getting no money versus court ordered support. I see him headed that way. The judge is not going to just give you child support, but will force him to pay your bills also.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
If I am not mistaken, this is a link to your state's D info:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/9050.htm

Click on the link for Form FL-300. Notice there is child support spousal support, and property control. Property control is where you ask for exclusive use of the marital home as well. I am pretty sure the request for him to pay the mortgage, car note, etc would be considered the lien. Utilities may fall in this area or be considered as spousal support. You should ask an attorney about a temporary order for support and him paying the bills to preserve your house while the D is in progress.

You can look through that site for a lot of info that may help answer some of your questions. Look under the Self Help Tab and go to Divorce and Separation. By filing, you also protect yourself from WH's spending. He could be racking up debt that you don't know about. As a community property state, you could be liable for this.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by black_raven
Since you are a SAHM, he can be ordered to pay the mortgage and other household bills. That is usually considered maintaining marital property while D is in progress. That would be in addition to child and spousal support. You should ask for the max. Don't feel bad for him or guilty. If he has to sleep on someone's couch...oh well. He made his bed.

I had no idea - I'll talk to my lawyer about this. And no, I don't feel bad for him. He is the only one who can change the situation he has put himself in.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
G
OP Offline
G
If I am not mistaken, this is a link to your state's D info:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/9050.htm

Click on the link for Form FL-300. Notice there is child support spousal support, and property control. Property control is where you ask for exclusive use of the marital home as well. I am pretty sure the request for him to pay the mortgage, car note, etc would be considered the lien. Utilities may fall in this area or be considered as spousal support. You should ask an attorney about a temporary order for support and him paying the bills to preserve your house while the D is in progress.

You can look through that site for a lot of info that may help answer some of your questions. Look under the Self Help Tab and go to Divorce and Separation. By filing, you also protect yourself from WH's spending. He could be racking up debt that you don't know about. As a community property state, you could be liable for this.

Not my state, but a lot to think about and look into for my state. Thank you. It's so hard to think outside of my emotions right now. I feel so fortunate to have found this forum when I did, and for you all giving so much time to help.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
B
B
Sorry I got the state wrong but you're welcome. You should educate yourself about the process and law in your state so you are in "the know" vs solely relying on whatever your attorney tells you. Attorneys can suck and can be lazy so make sure he is working for you and your kiddos.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

G
OP Offline
G
Sorry I got the state wrong but you're welcome. You should educate yourself about the process and law in your state so you are in "the know" vs solely relying on whatever your attorney tells you. Attorneys can suck and can be lazy so make sure he is working for you and your kiddos.

The lawyer I've been talking to is a friend of a friend (we actually have lots of mutual friends), and she has a baby the same age as mine. She is hopping mad on my behalf. But I do still need to do my own research.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
G
OP Offline
G
So Tuesdays WH picks up the boys in the evening to spend the night. Then Wednesday mornings he comes and gets the baby and keeps them all until 2. An ice storm hit our area last night and got worse all day - now our governor has declared a state of emergency due to the road conditions. It's only supposed to get worse tomorrow. No way are my kids getting in a car. What do I do? I would hope WH has sense enough to realize this and choose not to try to come for them, but he doesn't seem to be using his common sense lately. He's always felt very confident driving in bad weather, but he never had a reason to take the kids out if the roads were bad. I don't know what he will do.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
J
J
Tell your IM to let him know that the visit is canceled due to road conditions

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Tell your IM to let him know that the visit is canceled due to road conditions

I am trying so hard not to contact him. I am so anxious just thinking about canceling. I had really hoped he would just tell me he wasn't coming, but it's 4:00 now. He's supposed to be here at 5:30, so it's looking doubtful that will happen.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
B
B
Just cancel instead of continuing your anxiety. There is no point dragging out the anxiety. Get it over with so you can stop thinking about it. If the road conditions have improved and it's ok to travel then he will have his visit but don't torture yourself. Take action and be done with it.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

G
OP Offline
G
Just cancel instead of continuing your anxiety. There is no point dragging out the anxiety. Get it over with so you can stop thinking about it. If the road conditions have improved and it's ok to travel then he will have his visit but don't torture yourself. Take action and be done with it.

You're right.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
G
OP Offline
G
Should I offer him another day when the weather improves? Or just see if he asks for it?

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
P
P
Don't offer another day. Just cancel. He can see them next week.

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
B
B
Originally Posted by jkwpurple
Should I offer him another day when the weather improves?

I wouldn't offer. He can ask.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

G
OP Offline
G
Ok, I didn't offer. It's hard to fight my natural impulses. Thanks so much, blackraven, pigwig, and jediknight.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
M
M
Just cancel instead of continuing your anxiety. There is no point dragging out the anxiety. Get it over with so you can stop thinking about it. .

jw, I notice you do this ALOT. That is a very bad habit. You drag things out instead of handling them immediately and moving on. I would get into the habit of handling things immediately. The longer you drag things out, the more anxiety you feel.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Just cancel instead of continuing your anxiety. There is no point dragging out the anxiety. Get it over with so you can stop thinking about it. .

jw, I notice you do this ALOT. That is a very bad habit. You drag things out instead of handling them immediately and moving on. I would get into the habit of handling things immediately. The longer you drag things out, the more anxiety you feel.

That's an interesting observation and something I hadn't realized about myself.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
Page 43 of 66 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 65 66

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 432 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation