Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
As I'm headed down the road for divorce I was wanting to get everyone's thoughts or experience on how they've handled Facebook or whatever other sites through their/after their divorce?

I think in cases of infidelity there's a very eerie footprint left behind. This year, two male acquaintances of mine that are roughly my age had their wives cheat and leave them also. One was about the same time as me, the other was about 6 months before me (in fact when it happened WW even commented to me how it was "tragic" what had happened to him...ironic). In both cases, like mine, you can see all of this playful interaction between spouses up to a point, and then it just stops a month or a few months before D-day. Being a betrayed spouse myself now, it's a bit chilling to see that and understand what was (probably) happening behind the scenes. Adultery is so stupid, short sighted and seemingly so sudden.

My WW and I have a long trail of FB banter back and forth that goes back to 2006, and so I've thought of just deleting my profile for the time being and making a new one after the D is finalized. I don't really want to preserve any of that.

What are your guys thoughts on the topic?

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
P
P
I deleted mine when I went into Plan B for the same reason. There is an option to download your photos if you want and then delete.

I think that was the best for me. I couldn't pretend and keep up the facade and I don't think anyone should.

I've made the decision not to go back to social media no matter what happens because I think it was intrusive to my marriage overall, and there are other downsides--like thinking everyone else's life is better than yours in some way.

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
S
S
I was off of FB for a little while following the divorce. It was good to take a breather from it. But at the same time, I really like FB, esp to check up on my kids so I reactived my account a while ago.

I defriended all family and close friends of my ex's, also people who didn't show me support in anyway or played the "neutral" card. I went back in my timeline and albums and obviously anything to do with ex and anything that triggered me at all went (which was a lot).

If I had a ton of stuff (I wasn't too active before) then I probably would have just started a new page.

Let us know what you decide!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
A
A
It seems to inspire a great deal of envy in people.

J
J
Axe,

Just delete facebook.

J
J
Check out this.
its true. [video:youtube]Z7dLU6fk9QY[/video]

A
A
Great video! Co-workers are always shocked that H and I completely unplug on vacation. It drives my mom crazy and we have a few hundred email we return -- but the time is so PEACEFUL.

J
J
My wifes affair started on facebook.
they encourage individual accounts and secret messages.

B
B
My then WH was never on facebook so there are no exchanges with him on my wall. I have an fb account and deleted any photos of my now exWH. I'm still fb friends with ex-inlaws. It doesn't bother me.

Since you have extensive exchanges with your stbxWW and her family is being weird with you, I would delete you existing account and get a new one if you want.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
A
OP Offline
A
Good thoughts everyone. I may end up deleting my account, it wouldn't take much work to re-add the small number of friends I have on there, and the amount of work required to purge WW from my timeline would be ridiculous.

I will say....I've got friends who did the shared FB account in the past (husband and wife on the same account) and I used to poo-poo that sort of thing as overkill....now I wish I would have done the same.

FB was a facilitator for my WW....she was FB friends with OM, people in his family, and other enablers. Her FB password changed from the one she shared with me (along with her phone password) sometime last summer when their affair began to get serious, and I wouldn't be surprised if they communicated a lot on there. WW and I shared most of our account passwords openly and up to D-day I had access to most of her email accounts and such...but her phone and FB had been changed sometime in the months before. That's what led to the fight that resulted in her moving out before D-day...I smelled a rat and she knew she was about to get caught. That's where the affair was happening. :S

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"

My story
P
P
Anything that enabled an affair should be gotten rid of. Also, this is way in the future--but would you want someone you date in the future to see your banter with your STBxW? Probably not. It's in the past. I left all my wedding pictures and even my wedding dress at my old apartment when I left because they are a trigger and because I didn't want to bring them into my new life. I just can't have that pain following me around forever.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Check out this.
its true. [video:youtube]Z7dLU6fk9QY[/video]

This is pretty clever, I remember when this was first debuted. He makes some really good points.

I'm not quite as absolute on the issue of social media. I think it can supplement a healthy social circle instead of replacing it if you approach it the right way.

However, I do agree it creates some problems. Not sure exactly where I stand on it, to be honest. Hard to explain my position.

My story
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by PigletWiglet
Also, this is way in the future--but would you want someone you date in the future to see your banter with your STBxW? Probably not. It's in the past.

Yes, I agree. My goal for that future is for the topic of WW and the A to be brought up only when and if my future spouse wants to talk about it. I don't want to be one of these people that never shuts up or stops complaining about their ex. I want to forget she ever existed.

I found out a few weeks ago from my mother that her father actually had a first wife who cheated on him while he was deployed in the pacific campaign of WWII, and when he got back she had left him. Tragic, but the interesting thing is that I had no idea and I felt like I knew a lot about my grandfather. My mom apparently had forgot herself and then realized it when she was thinking about my situation. My grandfather and his WW had been together several years but had no children when she left, and he just moved on and started over with the woman who was my grandmother. They were married over 40 years until he died. The first wife who was a wayward just became a footnote in his personal history.

My story
P
P
I want that as well, which is why I deleted FB. Unfortunately, I have a small person with his DNA running around; however, I am shutting the door as much as humanly possible as well with said small person in the mix. It's funny how much life can change and how someone who once meant so much starts to become a footnote, like you said.

P
P
I will say....I've got friends who did the shared FB account in the past (husband and wife on the same account) and I used to poo-poo that sort of thing as overkill....now I wish I would have done the same.
Markos and I used to share a Facebook account, too. I still had an affair on Facebook, right under his nose. Shared accounts don't protect the marriage, but rather can give a false sense of security.

Our opinion: Social media is great for singles, but is a killer on marriages.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

J
J
Originally Posted by Prisca
Markos and I used to share a Facebook account, too. I still had an affair on Facebook, right under his nose. Shared accounts don't protect the marriage, but rather can give a false sense of security.

Our opinion: Social media is great for singles, but is a killer on marriages.

There is a bigger issue with facebook too.
as the video I posted shows, it creates a false reality.
I take my kids skating regularly and I watch most adults sit down and be on their phones. For hours.

A
OP Offline
A
I take my kids skating regularly and I watch most adults sit down and be on their phones. For hours.

Those are people with impulse control problems, IMO. I see that as a bigger problem than just Facebook. For all we know they might be playing Angry Birds or whatever else is on their phone. They've just decided that entertaining themselves constantly is more important than living in the world around them.

My story
P
P
Originally Posted by axslinger85

Those are people with impulse control problems, IMO. I see that as a bigger problem than just Facebook. For all we know they might be playing Angry Birds or whatever else is on their phone. They've just decided that entertaining themselves constantly is more important than living in the world around them.

Some of us are chatting with our spouses smile
Or helping people in crisis on a marriage forum ....

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

A
OP Offline
A

Very true! I shouldn't be so quick to judge. I've been on MB with my smartphone more than a few times.

My story
P
P
Originally Posted by axslinger85

Very true! I shouldn't be so quick to judge. I've been on MB with my smartphone more than a few times.

Oh man. This is me. MB has definitely replaced social media for me. Even if it does have much more value than FB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 597 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation