Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 23 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 22 23
P
P
State your position.
Identify the problem from both perspectives.

If spouse is still not enthusiastic, table it....Do nothing that bothers spouse.
Find an alternative that WOULD make you both happy.

Review the Four Guidelines for Successful Negotiation
Guideline 1: Set ground rules to make negotiation pleasant and safe.
Guideline 2: Identify the problem from both perspectives.
Guideline 3: Brainstorm with abandon.
Guideline 4: Choose the solution that meets the conditions of the Policy of Joint Agreement -- mutual and enthusiastic agreement.

Notice that none of the steps require you to stay in the "do nothing" default of POJA.

You will also find that once you know how to negotiate (and do it on a regular basis), when there are no lovebusters in your marriage, AND when you are getting UA, a lot of these problems that seem big to you now will go away.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
But, on the "dog issue", it's a no. We have found no way he would be enthusiastic about them being in the house.
Find an alternative.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
I'm not bitter or resentful.
If you were not resentful, you would not be bringing it up now.
You are experiencing Type B resentment. Read about it here. You will experience this until an alternative has been found.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
I don't know why it's taken them a year. If there are no mags coming to the house, the H should be able to get the mail.
Why?
It bothered her for him to get the mail.
They found an alternative.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Originally Posted by TenaciousOne
We just started scheduling UA last week.

I wouldn't expect to be able to do very good negotiation until this has been going on for awhile longer, then. The feeling of romantic love that comes from following the whole Marriage Builders plan is the lubricant that makes the difficult parts of the plan work.

Enjoyable? Yes. Wonderful? Yes. Exciting? No.

Outside of the house?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by markos
Tenacious, did you get a chance to listen to this show?

Yes, I did.

Did your husband listen with you?

No, he didn't listen with me.

Did you ask him to listen?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
I
I
Originally Posted by indiegirl
'Middle ground' implies there are only two options and there is obviously only an unhappy compromise in the centre of two fixed options.

PoJA is about recognizing the other hundred options...

Get a kennel for the dogs, get rid of the dogs, have a room inside for the dogs, bathe the dogs before allowing them in, have them in for a set period before a clean up of the house....

There's also other techniques in reaching a PoJA solution including respectful persuasion and trying something you don't like for a short period in case you do like it.

Thank you Indie. We usually do everything you listed above. But, on the "dog issue", it's a no. We have found no way he would be enthusiastic about them being in the house.

We had a similar issue with my high school reunion (also previously discussed). I didn't go because he couldn't go with me. And he didn't want me going alone.

To be honest I was thinking no pet ownership at all would be the likeliest outcome after posting this. Bit psyched to see Dr H thought so too. I was thinking so because getting rid of the dogs would hurt short term but eventually you'd forget and fill your life with other things.

While they are there however, ownership of them means doing something you're not entirely happy with.

It's unlikely you would have got the dogs at all if you'd PoJAd the pet rules first. So I would just consider that.

However I'm not saying that this is the 'right' option by any means - you are the person who knows your own views best. If you can find a way to be OK with them outside, your own feelings are the test.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I

I have to say though, this does sound like an unhappy 'lose lose' compromise between two fixed views. Your H doesn't sound enthusiastic about owning dogs at all - but to stay on 'middle ground' he won't get rid of them entirely.

You want them to be part of the household and entire family: presumably why you got them, but to stay on 'middle ground' your experience of pet ownership is not the type you wanted at all.

Why not just get rid of them? They'd be happier in a home where they were wanted by all concerned, and you wouldn't have all the responsibility without the enjoyment of pet ownership. Without them you could find another type of family experience, one that bonds you all.

There may also be a type of pet that your husband would enjoy more - then you could all share the experience.

I think it's a a bit strange for a couple to own dogs, but only really one of you is into them. That's a a confusing set up for dogs too, who tend to see the man as the alpha.

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/08/15 06:30 AM.

T
OP Offline
T
[/quote]

Did your husband listen with you?[/quote]

No, he didn't listen with me.[/quote]

Did you ask him to listen?[/quote] No

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Prisca
I don't know why it's taken them a year. If there are no mags coming to the house, the H should be able to get the mail.
Why?
It bothered her for him to get the mail.
They found an alternative.

No, his still wasn't allowed to check the mail, a year later. Joyce asked him how long it had been, he said a year. That's what prompted his call. He felt controlled by poja. They were stuck.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
T
OP Offline
T
We just started scheduling UA last week.

I wouldn't expect to be able to do very good negotiation until this has been going on for awhile longer, then. The feeling of romantic love that comes from following the whole Marriage Builders plan is the lubricant that makes the difficult parts of the plan work.

Enjoyable? Yes. Wonderful? Yes. Exciting? No.

Outside of the house?
The first week about 14 hours were out of the house. This past week about 10 hours out of the house.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
I
I
TO - you do know that 10/14 hours is a waste of time don't you? If you aren't getting 15 in you might as well do something else.

T
OP Offline
T
I have to say though, this does sound like an unhappy 'lose lose' compromise between two fixed views. Your H doesn't sound enthusiastic about owning dogs at all - but to stay on 'middle ground' he won't get rid of them entirely.

You want them to be part of the household and entire family: presumably why you got them, but to stay on 'middle ground' your experience of pet ownership is not the type you wanted at all.

Why not just get rid of them? They'd be happier in a home where they were wanted by all concerned, and you wouldn't have all the responsibility without the enjoyment of pet ownership. Without them you could find another type of family experience, one that bonds you all.

There may also be a type of pet that your husband would enjoy more - then you could all share the experience.

I think it's a a bit strange for a couple to own dogs, but only really one of you is into them. That's a a confusing set up for dogs too, who tend to see the man as the alpha.

No, he wants the dogs. He likes the dogs. He wants to go outside a few minutes a day. pet them and come back inside.

The kids and I want the dogs. We like the dogs. We want to go outside with them, but we also like them inside with us throughout our day.

Our first agreement said the dogs could be inside, while he was at work. He changed his mind.

I would rather enjoy my dogs outside, than to not have them at all. That's why I've stopped negotiations with him. I'm concerned he will change his mind further, to no dogs at all. He mentioned it once, but said he knew how much that would hurt the kids and me.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
T
OP Offline
T
TO - you do know that 10/14 hours is a waste of time don't you? If you aren't getting 15 in you might as well do something else.

Our total UA was 19 the last week, then about 16 for this week. The remainder was time at home alone, in our bedroom doing things we can't do out of the house.

He just recently decided that our marriage is more important than his career. We scheduled more than 15 and got more than 15. It's better than what we were doing. It didn't feel like a waste of time. We've made progress from where we were in 2011. I don't see separation or divorce on the horizon anymore.

Last edited by TenaciousOne; 03/08/15 07:52 AM.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[
I think back to most of the shows and Dr. H says to negotiate. Are you saying, that sometimes there is NO negotiating? That if one spouse says no, then the other must go with the no. No matter what.

No, I am saying that you don't negotiate. But if an agreement can't be reached that you are BOTH enthusiastic about, then that thing is forever off the table. For example, there are NO circumstances under which my husband would be enthusiastic about going shopping at the mall. NONE. So mall shopping together is forever off the table.

I am certainly not enthusiastic about not going to the mall HOWEVER, I would never want my spouse to sacrifice at my expense.

This right here.... This is why I need to let the dog thing go. H has said there are no circumstances under which he wants the dogs in the house.

This was my whole point of this recent dialogue about the January 27 radio show. Sometimes we must let go of our enthusiasm, so our spouses don't sacrifice.

I understand we brainstorm, we talk, we think...but ultimately if one spouse says no....it needs to be a no.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
I
I

No, he wants the dogs. He likes the dogs. He wants to go outside a few minutes a day. pet them and come back inside.

The kids and I want the dogs. We like the dogs. We want to go outside with them, but we also like them inside with us throughout our day.

Our first agreement said the dogs could be inside, while he was at work. He changed his mind.

I would rather enjoy my dogs outside, than to not have them at all. That's why I've stopped negotiations with him. I'm concerned he will change his mind further, to no dogs at all. He mentioned it once, but said he knew how much that would hurt the kids and me.

Fair enough.

Good news about UA

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Prisca
State your position.
Identify the problem from both perspectives.

If spouse is still not enthusiastic, table it....Do nothing that bothers spouse.
Find an alternative that WOULD make you both happy.

Review the Four Guidelines for Successful Negotiation
Guideline 1: Set ground rules to make negotiation pleasant and safe.
Guideline 2: Identify the problem from both perspectives.
Guideline 3: Brainstorm with abandon.
Guideline 4: Choose the solution that meets the conditions of the Policy of Joint Agreement -- mutual and enthusiastic agreement.

Notice that none of the steps require you to stay in the "do nothing" default of POJA.

You will also find that once you know how to negotiate (and do it on a regular basis), when there are no lovebusters in your marriage, AND when you are getting UA, a lot of these problems that seem big to you now will go away.

We are both looking forward to this day!

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
T
OP Offline
T
Did you ask him to listen?

No, I didn't. He doesn't like it when I ask him to read something or listen to something specific. He says, he feels like I'm trying to educate him.

His listens voluntarily to the radio show, though.

Last edited by TenaciousOne; 03/08/15 08:43 AM.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
M
M
[
This was my whole point of this recent dialogue about the January 27 radio show. Sometimes we must let go of our enthusiasm, so our spouses don't sacrifice.

Right. Because enthusiasm is only valuable if you are BOTH enthusiastic about decisions that affect your marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
I understand we brainstorm, we talk, we think...but ultimately if one spouse says no....it needs to be a no.
And you find an alternative that makes you BOTH HAPPY.

You are really focused on there only being 2 options: His or Hers. POJA will not work if you are going to limit yourselves like that.

He doesn't want dogs in the house. Okay. You find an alternative that YOU BOTH will be happy with.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Page 18 of 23 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 481 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation