Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
OP Offline
B
My husband and I are recovery after an affair. I'm the wayward spouse.

We are reading through the site here and we started planning our time for undivided attention. Based on the fact that we have a less than healthy marriage we decided to spend more than 15 hours a week. We agreed on 30 hours a week.

My husband smokes weed recreationally. He only smokes at night after the baby is asleep (no other time) and is not allowed around the baby when he is high.

I requested that he not be high during our undivided attention time as he is not all there. He took this as me being retaliatory against him and refused.

I'd like some advice. Is being high during the period of undivided attention appropriate? Am I unreasonable in my request? Is there a compromise?

B
B
Originally Posted by Brightside
My husband and I are recovery after an affair. I'm the wayward spouse.

We are reading through the site here and we started planning our time for undivided attention. Based on the fact that we have a less than healthy marriage we decided to spend more than 15 hours a week. We agreed on 30 hours a week.

My husband smokes weed recreationally. He only smokes at night after the baby is asleep (no other time) and is not allowed around the baby when he is high.

I requested that he not be high during our undivided attention time as he is not all there. He took this as me being retaliatory against him and refused.

I'd like some advice. Is being high during the period of undivided attention appropriate? Am I unreasonable in my request? Is there a compromise?
If you want him to stop smoking weed you make the request he should stop.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Please tell us what you've done on the list below.

Also, who is your OM? Was he married? Was your affair exposed and to whom was it exposed to?

From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Brightside, the policy of joint agreement means that neither of you do anything without the enthusiastic agreement of the other. Smoking dope does not have your enthusiastic agreement. Is he a dope addict? How often does he smoke dope?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
OP Offline
B
I don't have problems with him smoking weed in general. We discussed the boundaries of it when he started.

My OM was someone online that I met. He wasn't married and my husband found out through emails.

We have done everything on the checklist.

I guess I misunderstood the policy of undivided attention.

Last edited by Brightside; 02/07/15 08:45 PM.
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Is he a dope addict? How often does he smoke dope?
Probably and every night.

He uses it more to cope with the affair since he started smoking after finding out.

But he is from the netherlands and grew up with a more lax attitude toward drugs.

M
M
I guess I misunderstood the policy of undivided attention.

Can you be more specific?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Is he a dope addict? How often does he smoke dope?
Probably and every night.

He uses it more to cope with the affair since he started smoking after finding out.

That is the reason that addicts get stoned/drunk. They use it to escape from life. It sounds like he has a serious addiction. There is a big difference between drugs and alcohol in that weed is mind altering and booze is mood altering. In other words, alcohol can merely be relaxing, whereas smoking dope gets him high enough to check out.

If I were you, I would be greatly concerned that he has an addiction. It sure sounds like he does.

Exposure 101

M
M
Addictions are devastating to marriage because they always come before marriage. Anything that comes before the marriage will come between you. The fact that he refuses to give it up for your dates indicates that a) he has an addiction and b) he puts it before your marriage.

Exposure 101

B
OP Offline
B
He went to the doctor this week for depression and is going to see individual therapy on Tuesday. On top of our marriage counseling sessions.

ok just read your post thanks!

Last edited by Brightside; 02/07/15 09:01 PM.
B
OP Offline
B
The discovery of my affair came out in Nov 2014. Since then we have been following marriage builders and going to therapy. We were improving and rebuilding our relationship. So much was improving in our love and communication for each other.

The problem is my husband as informed me that he has pretended to be me online and contacted the other man. He has done this in the past and at the time we both agreed it was wrong. He agreed to never do it again.

However months later he contacted him again. The problem is he sees my disapproval of this as wanting to cover up the truth of the affair. He believes that by pretending to be me, he will get the real truth to what happened during our affair from the other man.

I don't see how this is good for the progress we have made. The other man has lied to my husband before about the nature of our relationship after it was discovered so I don't see why my husband thinks he will get the truth.

I want to sent a joint email from my husband and I to the other man saying that I have not being in contact with him that it was my husband and we want no further contact at all with him. But my husband doesn't want to send that email. He wants to continue talking to my other man and to pretend to be me. It hurts to know that the other man thinks I am continuing the affair. Even after I told the other man that it was all over.

I have not and will not have any contact or interaction with the other man. I believe that is a huge part in rebuilding our relationship but it feels like my husband is continuing the affair where I left off.

I am really confused, hurt and don't know how to proceed.

B
B
How is your BH contacting the OM?

Have you answered ALL your BH's questions about the affair? Why does your BH think he doesn't have all the information about your affair?

Have you closed all contact with OM? Have you put EPs in place?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

G
G
Brightside,

Have you offered to take a polygraph

Gamma

T
T
Originally Posted by Gamma
Brightside,

Have you offered to take a polygraph

Gamma

Make arraignments for the test. Then tell your BH when the appointment is.

Also tell your BH that you will not accept him breaking NC with the OM. Your counselor should support you in this and for him to stop being a drug addict.

B
OP Offline
B
My BH is using the skype chat (not the video).

We have spent hours going over every detail that I can remember. I have even written down parts of the affair with every detail I can think of.

The problem is I don't feel it is ever enough. He says he wants transcripts or recordings. That just isn't possible. No recordings exist. I don't remember word for word. I give him the general "I said he said" and we talked this and that.

He thinks that by talking to the OM he can get any records or logs from him.

I have no contact with the OM. My husband is the one maintaining contact.

I don't remember what EP is.

I'll suggest a polygraph and see what he says.

M
M
Have you been cagey with your husband in describing the affair? Many waywards make the mistake of glossing it over so the BS gets a very puzzling narrative that doesn't make sense. They think they are sparing the BS some pain, when in actuality, they are raising suspicion. What is your husbands main concern? Does he feel major parts are being withheld or glossed over?

Exposure 101

P
P
Is your husband still getting high?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Please tell us what you've done on the list below.

Also, who is your OM? Was he married? Was your affair exposed and to whom was it exposed to?

From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

Could you answer this?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

J
JBD Offline
J

Last edited by BerlinMB; 04/05/15 12:20 AM. Reason: POSTED USING A PROXY IP ADDRESS - PROBABLY A SOCKPUPPET
B
B
Originally Posted by JBD
I cant thank you enough for addressing this Brightside. When I first started here, I am more quiet by nature, and when I had questions, rather than finding my voice (as I am now, a bit), I would wait, and read what others post, and when I would find someone who I agreed with, I would either do whatever they had posted, or ask to contact them directly, as it seemed, idk, less...painful to rehash i guess. Anyway, there was a post by someone a while back, and that member mentioned doing exactly that! That members motives were totally different than what I think your husbands seem to be, but the action was the same anyways. I actually talked to that person and asked if that followed the spirit of the program. The answer was that as part of the NC rule, the WS had to hand over the phone, the computer, etc., to the BS for their inspection. This was when the BS started communicating with the OP. While that was NOT for discovery purposes, it was for the purpose of knowing what the OP was doing, and to intentionally inflame the situation and attitude between the WS and the OP. I was shocked. They told me that if left to the WS that they werent confident that the NC would be done. I agreed, at first. Point is, I think there have to be some limits. Not written down ones, as intentions may be different. Your situation is just a bit more unique by the fact that you watch him doing it. You can understand Im sure why he thought it was a good idea at first, of course. However, if it is a few weeks later, and you have been honest (and as open as he has requested), then in the interest in total honesty, he should stop. All that will be accomplished is more undue paranoia (assuming you HAVE been honest), and probably an almost obsessive mania in him. You can not make progress this way. If you have to, to avoid breaking a NC agreement, cancel your email/skype account completely, as that is NOT a violation, and that should do it. Either that, or the idea of the joint message, is the only way you can truly heal. The member I mentioned before was the one who made me see that, as I was in that exact compulsive/manic state myself, and yerned to chat with the OP as my spouse. 3 weeks after I had spoken in private to the other MB member, I was contacted by him again, and he told me that while he did feel it was helpful, at first, his intent was only to hurt and cause pain to the OM, and had been successful, but didnt know when to stop. There was a backlash, and after some soul searching my MB mentor said, he looked in the mirror and knew he had taken it too far. To keep it from coming back on his family any further, he just let the accounts fade away. That wasnt what i wanted to hear, but I believe it to be the right thing.

Sorry all. Now you see why I am more the quiet type. Why I do get going, and care of what I speak, I tend to be like longfellow. Thank you again for bring up some of the odd and unpleasant realities, that occur when healing. Too bad it cant be as easy as a pen stroke, huh?
How did you have off board conversation with another board member?

Do you have another posting name?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,024 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation