Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 23 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by hopefulwife47
The problem is this though...even if you fix all of those love busters. You guys are not getting enough UA time to build in any kind of love bank deposits. So basically, it just gets worn down and worn down and never really built up.

There was a time when H would be on good behavior only while we were on UA time together. During our regular life H would continue to LB me. Whatever gains we made, were soon lost. Eliminating LB's has to come first.

Yes, it took us a long time to figure out our UA. It was going along pretty good, until the renovation started. We logged in 15 hours last week.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
T
OP Offline
T
I have a question about a radio show this week. They replayed a show from March 5 about apologizing and how to complain.

Dr Harley said a complaint can be about something a spouse doesn't do. So in our case, I asked the question above, How do I handle my H's complaint of not doing the dishes often enough or cooking supper enough? If he says to me, "It bothers me that you don't do this every night." How then can I do it to a level I'm enthusiastic about? Let's say, H wants me to cook 5 nights and week and all the dishes are done before bedtime. Which I don't want to do.

From what I understood Dr Harley saying is that I need to do what my H wishes, in order to show that I care about him. Regardless, if I'm not enthusiastic about doing that much housework. It seems like the magic phrase is "It bothers me when...." Anything less than what "doesn't bother your spouse" isn't an option. But, I thought this would fall under domestic support and thus would be POJA'd?

My H has a high need for domestic support, but I'm not enthusiastic about meeting it to his expectations. The show from March 5, seemed to say that a caring spouse does nothing that bothers the other spouse.

I've received advice here about being enthusiastic while meeting needs. My H would definitely say, "It bothers me that we don't make love five nights a week. But, I'm not enthusiastic about five nights. Anything less, bothers him.

Last edited by TenaciousOne; 05/12/15 03:56 PM.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
P
P
Yes, it took us a long time to figure out our UA. It was going along pretty good, until the renovation started. We logged in 15 hours last week.
What are your hours for the last 12 weeks? (you should have a record)

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Tenacious, write Dr. Harley a letter about this and see if he will answer it on the show.

For Domestic Support, there is a procedure to follow in the Domestic Support chapter of His Needs, Her Needs that is just perfect. Ask your husband if he will follow it with you.

If there's something you are not doing that your husband would like you to do, his "complaint" should be a request - and a request is something you can decline. You don't use "it bothers me when you don't." Instead you use "How would you feel about doing ... ?" and "I'd like it if you would ... "

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Originally Posted by TenaciousOne
I have a question about a radio show this week. They replayed a show from March 5 about apologizing and how to complain.

Dr Harley said a complaint can be about something a spouse doesn't do. So in our case, I asked the question above, How do I handle my H's complaint of not doing the dishes often enough or cooking supper enough? If he says to me, "It bothers me that you don't do this every night." How then can I do it to a level I'm enthusiastic about? Let's say, H wants me to cook 5 nights and week and all the dishes are done before bedtime. Which I don't want to do.

From what I understood Dr Harley saying is that I need to do what my H wishes, in order to show that I care about him. Regardless, if I'm not enthusiastic about doing that much housework. It seems like the magic phrase is "It bothers me when...." Anything less than what "doesn't bother your spouse" isn't an option. But, I thought this would fall under domestic support and thus would be POJA'd?

My H has a high need for domestic support, but I'm not enthusiastic about meeting it to his expectations. The show from March 5, seemed to say that a caring spouse does nothing that bothers the other spouse.

I've received advice here about being enthusiastic while meeting needs. My H would definitely say, "It bothers me that we don't make love five nights a week. But, I'm not enthusiastic about five nights. Anything less, bothers him.

None of this is MB.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

B
B
"It bothers me...." is for things you are doing, that you stop doing until you POJA an alternative. Demands cloaked in MB wording are still demands. You have to care enough for the long term relationship to respectfully insist that all solutions are reached by POJA. Capitulation and sacrifice are not part of extraordinary care.

Married to Pearlseeker for 13 yrs
J
J
You may want to read his recent book on negotiations

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Prisca

We don't keep the schedules. February and March were anywhere from 10 to 16 hours out of the house. With additional hours for time spent alone in our bedroom from 9 to 10pm.

April was a bust for sure. We were knee deep in construction.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by markos
Tenacious, write Dr. Harley a letter about this and see if he will answer it on the show.

For Domestic Support, there is a procedure to follow in the Domestic Support chapter of His Needs, Her Needs that is just perfect. Ask your husband if he will follow it with you.

If there's something you are not doing that your husband would like you to do, his "complaint" should be a request - and a request is something you can decline. You don't use "it bothers me when you don't." Instead you use "How would you feel about doing ... ?" and "I'd like it if you would ... "

I sent an email to Dr H this morning.

My husband doesn't like Dr H's solution to domestic support. We made the lists. His list is full of stuff he wants done and done frequently, but he doesn't want to do it.

He says because the kids and I make the messes we should clean them up. We dirty most of the dishes, the floors and counters. We leave textbooks and papers about, art supplies.... And he feels like the kids and I are home more, that we have more time available to clean.

Yes, we make our own schedule, but it's not like we are lying about doing nothing all day. We homeschool. Learning is always happening in our house.

His expectation is that learning ends at 3:00. The kids and I straighten the house and I start dinner. But, sometimes we aren't home at three. We might be at a class or running errands after the class.

So far, H has committed to sorting and folding the clean laundry on Saturday morning. I do my own laundry because I like it washed in allergy free soap. And he mows the grass, but it's not exclusive to him; sometimes one of us does it.

The kids and I do everything else.

DH has always made DJs about my level of cleanliness. In our recent argument he said cleanliness is a moral issue. He said things like "I just can't believe....." "I just don't understand..." He went on about how, when he was a kid, nobody had to tell him to clean up his room, or tell him to cut some wood for the fire. He just knew it was the right thing to do.

His judgment hurts me.

Last edited by TenaciousOne; 05/13/15 11:30 AM.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
A
A
Did you tell that it hurts you?

Last edited by apples123; 05/13/15 12:29 PM.
D
D
Your husband is trying to persuade you to be clean through moral enlightenment aka disrespect.

On the other hand, you seem to be valuing the kids' home schooling above his need to have order when he comes home.

It seems like he is trying to tell you that he is only enthusiastic with the home schooling as long as you clean up as you go. School teachers have to teach the kids to clean up after each project.

I know that it is easier said than done. I have struggled with this too. However, if you were to acknowledge his feelings then maybe you would brainstorm for ways to end the school day earlier and incorporate the value of respect for their environment into the home school curriculum?

This appears to be an example of how disrespect DEMOTIVATES our spouses (per Dr. Harley). Because he is lecturing you, you have shut down your willingness to brainstorm.

Just musing here.

When couples have been here a while and struggle to see and eliminate their lovebusters, they probably need the online accountability program.

P
P

We don't keep the schedules.
Start keeping them.

February and March were anywhere from 10 to 16 hours out of the house. With additional hours for time spent alone in our bedroom from 9 to 10pm.
Anything less than 15 hours does not count. You need to keep the schedules so you can see what you are actually getting.

April was a bust for sure. We were knee deep in construction.
And there's your biggest problem.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by apples123
Did you tell that it hurts you?

Yes, I told him.

He says, though, that when he walks in the house after work and the house is a mess and there's no dinner...he is hurt. I'm not meeting his DS need and it hurts him.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
M
M
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Your husband is trying to persuade you to be clean through moral enlightenment aka disrespect.

On the other hand, you seem to be valuing the kids' home schooling above his need to have order when he comes home.

It seems like he is trying to tell you that he is only enthusiastic with the home schooling as long as you clean up as you go. School teachers have to teach the kids to clean up after each project.

I know that it is easier said than done. I have struggled with this too. However, if you were to acknowledge his feelings then maybe you would brainstorm for ways to end the school day earlier and incorporate the value of respect for their environment into the home school curriculum?

This appears to be an example of how disrespect DEMOTIVATES our spouses (per Dr. Harley). Because he is lecturing you, you have shut down your willingness to brainstorm.

Just musing here.

When couples have been here a while and struggle to see and eliminate their lovebusters, they probably need the online accountability program.

Or he could do it himself.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Originally Posted by markos

I sent an email to Dr H this morning.

My husband doesn't like Dr H's solution to domestic support. We made the lists. His list is full of stuff he wants done and done frequently, but he doesn't want to do it.

He says because the kids and I make the messes we should clean them up. We dirty most of the dishes, the floors and counters. We leave textbooks and papers about, art supplies.... And he feels like the kids and I are home more, that we have more time available to clean.

Yes, we make our own schedule, but it's not like we are lying about doing nothing all day. We homeschool. Learning is always happening in our house.

His expectation is that learning ends at 3:00. The kids and I straighten the house and I start dinner. But, sometimes we aren't home at three. We might be at a class or running errands after the class.

So far, H has committed to sorting and folding the clean laundry on Saturday morning. I do my own laundry because I like it washed in allergy free soap. And he mows the grass, but it's not exclusive to him; sometimes one of us does it.

The kids and I do everything else.

DH has always made DJs about my level of cleanliness. In our recent argument he said cleanliness is a moral issue. He said things like "I just can't believe....." "I just don't understand..." He went on about how, when he was a kid, nobody had to tell him to clean up his room, or tell him to cut some wood for the fire. He just knew it was the right thing to do.

His judgment hurts me.

Like it or not, if he wants it done more than you than he needs to be the one to do it. He can make requests, but you are under no obligation to do it his way. You are under no obligation to change your schedule to fulfill his demands that what he wants cleaned be done by a certain time.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
He says, though, that when he walks in the house after work and the house is a mess and there's no dinner...he is hurt. I'm not meeting his DS need and it hurts him.
This is a demand. He cannot demand that you clean what he wants, and when he wants.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
This is a demand. He cannot demand that you clean what he wants, and when he wants.

That's correct. Dr. Harley told me not to complain to Prisca this way.

Dr. Harley also says that if your husband makes demands, you should refuse to meet them. Tell him you will be willing to negotiate DS if he is willing to drop the demands.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by DidntQuit

Just musing here.

I agree with everything you said.

I am willing to brainstorm, but he doesn't want to move off his position. He thinks his way is best. It's a bit like the no pets in the house issue we had. He is only satisfied with no pets in the house. I can see his side. I'm "forcing" him to live with messiness. Sorta like "forcing" him to live with pets in the house. The pets had to go outside. I even had to concede that he had my blessing to dispose of any he didn't want.

Me 47
Him 47
Married 27 years
dd 21, dd 17, ds 15
P
P
"I even had to concede......"

That doesn't sound like you are enthusiastic about that. It sounds like you gave into a demand and you dh is continuing to demand as it is working for him. Is your dh on board for POJA?

M
M
Have a look at what Dr. Harley told me. Ask your husband if he will read this with you, and pass along that I'd love to discuss it with him here. I'm sure Dr. Harley would also love to discuss it with him - mbradio@marriagebuilders.com.

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
markos:

When you make a request, and your wife declines, the next step is to negotiate with her, not to tell her that your feelings have been hurt. Under what conditions would she be willing? If you can't think of any right away, withdraw the request.

By telling your wife that your feelings were hurt, although it's an accurate description of your reaction, it's also a way to make her feel guilty for declining your request. Besides, it should be recognized that if a request is declined, and you feel hurt, you must be under the illusion that if she really cared about you, she would do whatever you request. That's an illusion, not a fact. A caring wife has the right to decline requests. A caring husband accepts it because he realizes that he would have been gaining at her expense if she had agreed.

Again, the step to take after declining your request is to negotiate or withdraw it.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Here's the original for those who can access the private forum:

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2405440#Post2405440

I think your husband needs to drop this way of talking to you. It is abusive.

Page 20 of 23 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Blackhawk), 462 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation