Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
A
What was so Important that you abandoned your wife for the weekend?

M
M
Originally Posted by Scotty
Originally Posted by Prisca
This past weekend, I went out of town to help my mother and give W some space.
BAD idea.

Please tell me why. My mother needed help and she needed me to give her space.

Scotty, if you'll look at the Marriage Builders plan for restoring marriages, giving each other space isn't on the list.

To save a marriage, you need to develop habits that make massive love bank deposits on a regular basis, and eliminate habits that make love bank withdrawals. When that is done and has been in place for a long time, both of you will crave each other's company rather than desiring "space." But "space" doesn't help build love bank deposit habits or help eliminate love bank withdrawal habits.

Here's how Dr. Harley learned to save marriages:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3100_how.html
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi1002_harley.html

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by SeekMore
As far as I can tell I've stopped the LBs. W is still pretty withdrawn. She focuses on work and her masters. ...I'm living my life and being there to provide what she will allow.
Sounds like you're doing the best you can given the circumstances. It must be frustrating knowing or suspecting that her love bank is closed to you, but all you can really do is continue attempting to meet her EN's in the absence of LB's, and hope that some of those deposits somehow make it through and have an effect. I can imagine that it's painful to have your love for her unrequited when you're apparently trying so hard. Hang in there.

SeekMore, could you let us tell him what more he could be doing, rather than telling him there's no more he can do?

Most men who get here think they are doing everything they can do, and they are mistaken.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I stand corrected. She wants to be left alone but I need to be there. Hard to reconcile

A
A
Curious--how would you make head way (make love bank deposits) without being there?

S
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I get your point, if I am not there I cannot make deposits. However, in speaking with my W today, she thanked me sincerely for giving her the space over the weekend. Could that also be a deposit?

Please understand, I am not trying to argue with any of you. I want to do the absolute best that I can do to turn this marriage around. It just seems to me that based on her reaction, deposits were made.

In the future, I will not leave her alone. I need this to repair.

M
M
I get your point, if I am not there I cannot make deposits. However, in speaking with my W today, she thanked me sincerely for giving her the space over the weekend. Could that also be a deposit?

No, because you can't make deposits if you are not there. Being GONE is not a love bank deposit. It is a desire of someone who is checked out and wants to stay checked out. The solution is NOT to aggravate the detachment but to turn it around. You can't turn it around if you aren't there. Agreeing to do things that are not good for your marriage does not make the bad act good for your marriage.

Let me put it this way. If your car is broken down in the garage, do you fix it by going to the garage and working on it? Or do you fix it by going to Cleveland, Ohio?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

No, it's not.

There are four intimate emotional needs. These are the ones that make the big love bank deposits that are required for being in love. People do not fall in love over domestic support or babysitting the kids. These are the four intimate emotional needs:

* Recreational companionship
* Conversation
* Affection
* Sexual fulfillment

Typically two of these will make big deposits for a person. A spouse in Withdrawal will say they don't want these and will try to prevent their spouse from meeting these needs. Read through Dr. Harley's Basic Concepts again, and read closely the section called "three states of mind in marriage."

M
M
When my wife was in withdrawal, it annoyed her for me to try to make love bank deposits. A wife in withdrawal wants her husband to do things that will calmly and quietly ruin their marriage, and will thank him for it.

Between Withdrawal and Intimacy lies Conflict. When she comes out of Withdrawal, she will come out swinging.

S
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ok. I get it. She's in withdrawl and refuses to allow deposits. She's polite, but that's the best She will do.

What now?

M
M
As far as I can tell I've stopped the LBs. W is still pretty withdrawn. She focuses on work and her masters. This past weekend, I went out of town to help my mother and give W some space. My daughter stayed behind. There were some grumbling about my "running home to mommy" but in the same breath she said the silence was good. I'm living my life and being there to provide what she will allow.
The "running home to mommy" comment is very telling. Wives expect to be first in their husband's lives. Your wife doesn't think she is. You need to demonstrate that she is first through your actions.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
S
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
OK, let's get caught up here.

It has been 61 days since W revealed that she wanted to separate after the youngest got off to college. This began my journey of discovery and repair. I dove into the MB program and got the books. While I'm not perfect, I'm pretty sure that my LBs have come to a halt.

She is in a high stress, high responsibility position in a hospital. Further, she is working on a Graduate Degree. Our days look like this....

she is up at 430, departs home at 6 for work. Returns home @6 or so and has the dinner I prepared for the evening. After dinner, we go to the deck and she talks about her day. I listen intently, without inputting anything about me or my day. I'm just there to listen. After she downloads her day, she goes inside and works on her schoolwork until about 11. Then she goes to bed. This happens 5 days a week. On Saturday/sunday, she spends all or part of the days on homework, or pampering herself (mani/pedi, hair appts), or a combination of both.

Aside from what I put her through over the past several years, she is carrying the hurt of a rough year. My dad died, her dad died, she lost several aunts/uncles, two of our children left the home, our youngest has now graduated and is heading out of state to college in the fall. In her words, she hasn't dealt with any of it. Instead (her words), she compartmentalized it all -- "put it in a box". She relates that she has put up walls and presently is mostly numb. She relates that she has to work on "her" before she can decide if she wants to work on "us". She doesn't want to talk about "us".

Physically -- she is shut off from me. No hugs, no pecks on the cheek, no hand holding -- nothing. we sleep in the same bed but she withdraws to her side of the bed.

She doesn't seem to be very interested in what goes on in my day-to-day. She rarely asks. I presented MB to her a few weeks back by giving her the basic concepts. She thinks it is hokey. I offered to let her read LB and she has declined.

This is where we stand. There is no indication of EA or PA. I've seen all relevant forms of communication and we have active GPS tracking on our phones. I want "us" to be better. Better than we ever were. I feel with the tools that MB has taught me, I can be (am becoming) a better man, a better husband, a better partner.

Is there something that I'm not doing that would be helpful?

M
M
Ok. I get it. She's in withdrawl and refuses to allow deposits. She's polite, but that's the best She will do.

What now?

You keep trying to spend time with her. You avoid fighting with her at all costs. You read Dr. Harley's friends and enemies of good conversation daily and attempt to practice this concept daily in talking to your wife. You give your wife affection, daily. If you've got children still living at home, you spend time with your wife and the children together. And you give your wife admiration frequently.

M
M
She doesn't seem to be very interested in what goes on in my day-to-day. She rarely asks.

She won't be interested in you until she falls in love with you again. Which she will do if you follow this plan patiently.

I presented MB to her a few weeks back by giving her the basic concepts. She thinks it is hokey. I offered to let her read LB and she has declined.

That's okay. It's enough that you made the attempt. The main thing is to get the husband on board with the program. According to Dr. Harley, if the wife is reluctant about Marriage Builders, but the husband is following the plan, the marriage still has a great chance of turning around.

S
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you

S
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by markos
You keep trying to spend time with her. You give your wife affection, daily.

How do I spend time with her when she doesn't want to? How do I give her affection if she won't allow it?

M
M
You keep trying to spend time with her. You give your wife affection, daily.

How do I spend time with her when she doesn't want to? How do I give her affection if she won't allow it?

Join her whenever possible, especially when she's relaxing, engaging in recreation, or escaping. Come up with fun activities and invite her to do them with you. She may decline, but keep coming up with new things and asking her.

Stay in contact with her every day as much as possible. Call her during the day from work just to say hello and ask how she's doing. Use texting, instant messenger, email, or whatever other means of contact is available to you. Call her on your way home.

Read Dr. Harley's Q&A column on affection and start doing the things it lists, daily. Tell her you love her. Write her notes and leave them for her when you go to work or slip them into her lunch, books, or whatever else. Buy her a card.

M
M
Have you read about the friends and enemies of good conversation yet?

S
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Have you read about the friends and enemies of good conversation yet?

No, I haven't. Where is it?

A
A
Under the articles section. You should start with that article but work your way through all the basic concepts, then love busters, then emotional needs.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 95 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation