Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks markos. In the short term...I think it is working some. she has allowed some things that were previously off limits. She still makes sure that I know that a sign on her part doesn't necessarily mean she has come that far --- only that she is testing the waters.

My problem occurs when she is silent. As much as I try to avoid it, my mind runs away with all sorts of scary thoughts when she is completely disengaged. When we interact, things settle down. I am putting my effort into reducing/eliminating that anxiety so I can "allow her to miss me" as she put it.

I'm far from being an expert and appreciate all of the comments and direction.

M
M
Originally Posted by Scotty
My problem occurs when she is silent. As much as I try to avoid it, my mind runs away with all sorts of scary thoughts when she is completely disengaged.

What do you do when you are feeling anxious? Make sure that you don't become demanding, disrespectful, or angry.

Dr. Harley also has some good relaxation therapy exercises you can do to reduce the anxiety.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by markos
What do you do when you are feeling anxious? Make sure that you don't become demanding, disrespectful, or angry.

When I get anxious I get paranoid and imagine all sorts of stuff. Makes me want to go to her for reassurance. I know better and am working on it. I am using Dr. Harley's relaxation tips as well as those I got from my counselor a while back.

Thanks

S
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
sorry, forgot to address the other part of that.

I have made it a point to avoid the LBs. In fact, I have printed them on small sheets of paper. I have one in my money clip, one taped to the back of my debit card, one on the screen of my computer, one on the washing machine (i spend a lot of time there...lol) and one laminated and slipped into the cellophane of my cigarette pack. I refuse to let something under my control stand in the way of getting my marriage back -- better than it ever was.

You see, having studied Dr. Harley's writings, I have come to the conclusion that for almost 27 years, we were winging it. Its not surprising that we have had troubles. As far as I can tell, we both did almost everything wrong. Now, I don't tell her that she was wrong for 27 years....I'm not that stupid. There will be a time that, hopefully, she will get into MB and realize it for herself. For now, I am identifying my mistakes and putting a fresh face on tomorrow. I am learning to replace the poor choices of the past with wiser ones that I have recently learned.

When she had me move out in 2004, she didn't come back until she saw that I had given up and moved on. I'm afraid that it might take that for her to come around this time. I won't; however, voluntarily leave the house this time. I have learned the damage that can cause.

I am realistic in that this might not come together. If no, I will be a better man for the experience. As I told someone...I am becoming a better man for me. I just hope that she sticks around to reap the benefits.

Thanks again.

S
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It's been 10 days and nothing has changed. I am not committing LB's and am trying to make deposits in any way that I can. I know that I need to be patient.

I'm doing the best that I know how.

S
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Lets see.....she moved out on my birthday, we reconciled in january 16, bought a new house, things started going south again after about 6 months, now she's dropped "filed" divorce papers on me effective 28 Feb 2017. She feels that I never quit Manipulating everything and everyone around me in order to get what i want or to turn things around and make them all about me. maybe true. i got 3 doctors or psychologists trying to help me figure it out.

This one is done. I can see the writing on the wall.

H
H
You can figure it out yourself.
You never followed the program consistently and you and our wife where not in love.
What do you want to do?
You will only see good results if you do the work.
Are you on board?

me, DH
all the children
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 301 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation